[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

No one ever talks about this series. Wasn't it Dark Souls

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

File: kings-field-usa.jpg (126KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
kings-field-usa.jpg
126KB, 600x600px
No one ever talks about this series. Wasn't it Dark Souls before Dark Souls was a thing? What did DS do differently that King's Field apparently got wrong?

>inb4 'slow as shit'
Yeah, well this is /vr/. Most everything we play is sub-60fps.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (182KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
182KB, 1440x900px
>>4219319
>Wasn't it Dark Souls before Dark Souls was a thing?
No
>>
>>4219325
was just about to post this
it's like DS without the stat autism and shitty save system
>>
>>4219325
KF predates Severance as well
>>
>>4219325
>envenenado
>>
>>4219334
But KF is generic, and Severance has the DS touch that everyone recognize now.
>>
>>4219319
>framerate has anything to do with speed
Kiddo, leave.
>>
>>4219334
KF has more in common with Ultima Underworld than DS tbqh
>>
>>4219346
>and Severance has the DS touch that everyone recognize now.
Stamina bar and the 3rd person camera? Because these are the only things they have in common.
>>
What's with this obsessive overrating with Duck Solds, it's not that good a game
>>
>>4219382
Retards think playing that game is a badge of merit.
>>
>>4219346
>No game like that before
>its generic

Really makes you think
>>
>>4219319
I thought the "slow" complaints are due to the lethargic nature of the player character's movement and weapon swinging and not necessarily the framerate of the game?
>>
>>4219419

Last time I saw it brought up, it was just anons complaining about framerate. On /vr/.
>>
>Yeah, well this is /vr/. Most everything we play is sub-60fps.

agoo goo a gaa gaa
>>
>>4219319
no you're thinking of shadow tower
>>
>>4219319
Kings field is pretty slow but it doesn't feel bad, it works to make the game more atmospheric and tense. The tense feelings can get overshadowed by the AI but if you're not paying attention you're going to die pretty often.
>>
>>4219419
The framerate is actually pretty fucking awful half the time and the game speed being tied to it means that movement is inconsistent. It was a lot worse in KF3 but it was still pretty annoying in 2.
>>
File: thisIsAWorkOfArtFaggot.png (1MB, 2000x6000px) Image search: [Google]
thisIsAWorkOfArtFaggot.png
1MB, 2000x6000px
>>4219382
The original has incredible level design. Exploring Lordran and discovering all of the intertwined passages for the first time was an absolute joy.
>>
King's Field is both slow and has a low frame rate. The slow pace was definitely a design decision and it carries over all the way to the Souls games. One can clearly see the development of most of the concepts in the game although I do feel like the stamina bar and the tumbling being added in the change to third person does point to Severance being borrowed from.

The Souls games just happened to make a big graphical leap forward at exactly the right time to ride the wave of consumer rebellion against casual games.

Even in 6th gen there was still no shortage of challenging fantasy action RPGs to choose from. Then in the 7th gen there was pretty much just one but it really made a leap forward too so it totally deserves all its success.

If we hadn't had the Souls series the whole ARPG genre would be a lot bleaker right now. It's great. Currently stuck at that Pontiff Seymour dude.
>>
The controls and combat in the King's Field games are shit-tier. The exploration and level design may be above average, but those are all it has going for it.
>>
>>4220105
The sad truth. The idea of exploring the creepy places sounds appealing, but then I remember that fighting is like beating up your friends high on crack with pool noodles.
>>
>>4219319
Theres literally a thread every other week, you god damn tourist.
>>
The better question is why the fuck were there so few first-person dungeon crawlers with real-time combat? Such an under-tapped genre.
>>
>>4220251
Asians are more prone to motion sickness. That would explain why the genre isn't popular in Japan.

Western developers tend to stick with working formulas. By the time 3D technology was developing, RPGs were no longer mainstream.
>>
>>4220192
fitting analogy, kek
>>
>>4220024
>people that don't know Dark Souls takes place on the boughs of an enormous, planet sized tree
ffs
>>
>>4220105
I like the controls and combat in king's field
>>
>>4220024
>Exploring Lordran and discovering all of the intertwined passages for the first time was an absolute joy.
I refuse to research games. If someone tells me about something, I may look into it. Years ago I was working out of town for months. I bought a system/dark souls + expan. NG++ no internet. No help. No research until after ng. It was one of the most incredible times of my video game life. Now, its no big deal. I can 1-bro the game no biggie. Still incredible, and always replayable. areas are very memorable.....each has their own place.
>>
>>4219319
King's Field rules once you get the hang of it.
The tank controls don't take that much effort to get used to if you're not underage. Your old muscle memory will kick back in after a minute once you acclimate back to old shit 3D controls.
Then it feels good. Damn good. The world opens up and you find out that there is no 'right' way to go immediately because all the routes lead to different treasures you'll want anyway because your character is nude and only has a dagger. King's Field wants you to get lost. It's great.
Combat is basic and slow at first but once you get some magic it livens up. You start to stun lock, circle strafe, sidestep multiple enemies, kite them into AoE attacks, it has its own charm.
And the game has no load times. Yeah sure it looks kinda like shit, but this game is on playstation and once you initially load the game the world has no load times. Even when you eventually get the ability to teleport around the island, still no loading. That's really damn cool. It really helps sell the idea that you're getting lost in these elaborate rectangle hallways that are supposed to be dungeons.
King's Field is great, sure it's a tough one to start up but it's worth it.
>>
>>4220353
you forgot the music and sound design
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFr7AyT17sI
>>
>>4219319
Slow doesn't mean low framerate.
>Most everything we play is sub-60fps.
In retro games, quite the opposite. Though dependant on the era (either extremely early PC gaming for example or late console games, the middle is usually pretty spot on even if the animations aren't 60FPS the gameplay often was, excluding any performance slowdown.)

King's field's is definitely slow, but it's framerate is variable depending what's going on though usually low. If I recall properly, if the playstation was more powerful it would actually run with a constant high framerate however it will still be a slow game, but swings will happen a bit faster than otherwise.
>>
>>4219325
Idiots like you exist just to be fed memes
>>
File: 2b7.jpg (34KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
2b7.jpg
34KB, 600x450px
@4219325
@4219346

>King's Field is generic
>Quite unlike my shitty Spanish hack-and-slash with the literally-as-generic-as-possible D&D Fantasy setting and name. Truly, Blade: Edge of Darkness is a unique non-cliche game and the true proto-Dark Souls.

You don't even deserve a (You)
>>
>>4219325
>Severance

Different developer. King's Field was created by FromSoftware, and the director expressly stated that Demon's Souls was a spiritual successor to King's Field. Demon's Souls then went on to inspire Dark Souls.

>>4219346
>But KF is generic

? The Verdite Trilogy has more lore than any Dark Souls game. There's nothing generic about it.
>>
>>4220710
>If I recall properly, if the playstation was more powerful it would actually run with a constant high framerate
how? On emulators like mednafen the framerate is out of control, like in the area near the fisher
>watch the ocean, slow
>watch the wall, twice as fast
>>
Oh man these were my favorite games when I first got my Playstation. I had the first and second one, Shadow Tower and eventually imported the original KF game that was only released in Japan. The controls and combat take a little bit to get used on your first try but after that these are some of the best first person rpg games out there. It was a shame that they didn't really do anything after the PS2 game besides two PSP games that are alright in their own way, but nothing compared to the older games, and are both more akin to single person Wizardry than KF. Then they decided to start with the Souls series but instead of the King's Field method of making the games progressively better with an amazing spin off game, they decided to start with the best and progressively get shittier and shittier but still make an awesome spin off.

Now, I would say that it is essentially the same as Dark Souls. It has the same atmosphere, same mechanics, pretty much it's basically a simplified version of what Souls became. When they were calling it a spiritual successor, basically what they did was take the core elements of the KF series and use that as the foundation to make Souls, so most of the things we know and love about Souls have their start in these games.
>>
>>4219319
>Daggerfall for consolefags
Why would anyone waste their time on this rubbish?
>>
Shadow Tower > King's Field
>>
>>4221487
severance fans (they exist?)/PCfags have the need to perpetually justify the existence of their platform and insist totally unrelated games are influential to far more impactful Japanese games like Demon's Souls/Dark Souls. The reality is No one remembers Severance. No one in the industry cares about it, and it had no impact and is forgotten because it's actually a pretty mediocre, blandly designed snorefest.
>>
>>4222042
>No one in the industry cares about it, and it had no impact and is forgotten because it's actually a pretty mediocre, blandly designed snorefest.

this can be applied to KF and ST too, you know
>>
>>4219319
Were the Kings Field devs were fans of Ultima Underworld? I get huge UU vibes whenever I watch gameplay.
>>
>>4222037
I highly disagree, I can't think of anything ST does better except for shield control (though most enemies make this near useless), enemy variety, and voice acting. I can think of too many things to list that ST does worse than KF.

>>4219416
>>4221487
King's Field is generic to some because of this
>>4223106
I've never seen a quote or anything mentioned by the devs but it's pretty obvious that King's Field was heavily inspired by Ultima Underworld.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.