[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I consider myself a big Zelda fan, but I've never beaten

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

I consider myself a big Zelda fan, but I've never beaten Zelda 1 and 2, so recently I decided to change that.
I'm playing the first one and I've got to the 6th dungeon, it's ridiculously hard. There are rooms full of enemies shooting at you from everywhere and teleporting randomly, not only that but they also take like a bajillion hits to kill, and Link's invincibilty frames are a joke.
Am I missing something here? Am I just bad? Or is the game just that hard?
>>
The game can be hard for first timers. Don't feel so bad. Just keep grinding it.
>>
Blue wizzrobes are the worst enemy in the game. If there's any enemy worth spending bombs on, it's them
>>
>>4217425
Some enemies (Darknuts, Wizrobes) can certainly be challenging
Be sure to look at the item list and see if you're missing anything that might be helpful
>>
>>4217425
The enemies in the later dungeons do get bullshit hard. The best you can do is make sure you've thoroughly explored the overworld and gotten all the heart containers and upgraded your sword. You need a certain number of hearts to get the sword upgrades. There are five hearts total to be found outside dungeons, If you get them all you can use the best sword as early as the 5th dungeon.

Aside from that all you can do is git gud.
>>
>>4217425
One of the dungeons, (either 7 or 8) is pretty much a victory lap after dungeon 6. It's full of blobs and easy as fuck enemies. Dungeon 6 and Death Mountain are the hardest. The developers got last and added nothing by darknuts and wizzrobes in later dungeons.
>>
Without buying a cheat guide, how the fuck are you supposed to know what to do? Like, seriously.

I never understood this game. At least with SMB, you could naturally figure out what was going on, and if you discovered a secret, that was a cool find. But in Zelda, the fucking secrets are *necessary* to do anything.

Unless it was just a way to extract more money with the book sales, the game makes no sense.
>>
>>4217603
Back in the day u had one game and thats i
>>
File: 011.png (5KB, 768x528px) Image search: [Google]
011.png
5KB, 768x528px
>>4217425
>they also take like a bajillion hits to kill
>>
>>4217603
dude, i beat zelda without help when i was 7
git gud
>>
>>4217425
You can upgrade your sword when you have enough hearts. Explore. Look for a guy who'll say "Master using this and blah blah blah". I could tell you where they are, but that could spoil things. Then again, Miyamoto meant for people to discuss the game, I believe.

Anyway, more hearts = you can take more damage, and more hearts = you can upgrade your sword. Easy.
>>
>>4217425
It's a pretty big difficulty spike so don't worry too much about it. At this point you should have 13 hearts, the blue ring and the 3rd sword so make sure you've got that, it also helps if you have potions.
You can also choose to skip it for now and come back later with more hearts. Search where fairies don't live to find the 7th dungeon. It's way easier and the item from level 6 isn't necessary.
>>
>>4217425
Don't bother with Zelda two. Zelda the first was actually easy as far as NES games go. Literally it's the only NES game I can beat aside from Kirby.

I'm a snes tier and up difficulty level kind of guy.
>>
File: doorrepair.png (17KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
doorrepair.png
17KB, 400x300px
>>4217603
Old men in red robes give you hints once you search and find them ya daft bastard.

But yes, as we now see with jewtindo's current behavior, all they've ever been were business men that have existed since 1889.
>>
>>4217425
>it's ridiculously ha

Dude you're doing something wrong. You can run through the first quest in like 40 minutes.

Second quest is harder.
>>
>>4217468
They kind of move like knights on the chessboard.

The worst enemies in the game are the red bubbles on the second quest.
>>
>>4217603
It's because of the horrible localization. The old man gives sensible clues in the jp version.
>>
>>4217425
If you're not getting the blue ring and white sword before the first dungeon you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>4217868
THIS. Also the big shield.
>>
>>4217687
By the sixth dungeon the sword you get from that hint is old and busted. He needs to go to the graveyard.
>>
>>4217603
There are a lot NES games where the gameplay basically amounted to "Just keep exploring and killing stuff until you accidentally find the place you're supposed to be." Zelda 1, Metroid 1, and Dragon Quest 1 are the most notable examples. They stood out because they managed to stay fun, while a lot of similar games have been forgotten because they were just frustrating and hard without the fun. It was the infancy of video games, and between hardware limitations and general inexperience among game designers, exposition and directing the player were difficult things to figure out. That's why the most popular games of the era were mostly ones where you just run in one direction until you got to the end of the stage.
>>
>>4217425
I don't think there is any "getting gud" at the first 2 Zeldas unless you've been reading the Power...
>>
>>4218030
Swordless Link quest.
>>
File: KageQuoteVF2.png (198KB, 636x480px) Image search: [Google]
KageQuoteVF2.png
198KB, 636x480px
>>4217425
>How do i git gud at zelda
The same way you do any other game: Practice and rote memorization. Once you learn how to anticipate everything the games throw at you, you'll be able to speedrun them. Which is practically necessary for beating any NES game anyway.

>>4218030
I beat both of these games when I was 10. Of course, it took me months of practice.

I didn't even know about Nintendo Power back then. My family never cared for subscription-based magazines.
>>
>>4217603
You were supposed to go out of your house and talk to other people.
>>
>>4217603
The manual for the game comes with a map. Otherwise you just explore because it was preinternet and yes you had enough time to 100% it without guides
>>
>>4217603
The only things that are actually hard to find in Zelda first quest are two of the heart containers.
Everything else has hints that there's something special in a particular location.
>>
>>4217603
Literally just explore. There's nothing in quest 1 that's particularly difficult to find as long as you just search properly.
>>
Bombs are quite helpful against enemies
>>
Level 6 is pretty much the hardest dungeon in the game aside from Level 9. Even Levels 7 and 8 are easier than Level 6. I wouldn't even bother trying to take on Level 6 until you have the blue ring, magical sword, and max bombs. Always bring red potion in there with you, you'll likely need it.

>>4217861
Second quest is such bullshit at times. Yeah, that's kind of the point, but goddamn. Playing through it once was more than enough for me.
>>
>>4217578
Level 7 is an easier dungeon to fight in, but it's actually the one that involves way more thinking and exploring. It has among other things:

>two different spots where you go "off the map"
>one of which is mandatory
>bombs being REQUIRED to find the right path FIVE times
>"grumble grumble", a purposefully vague clue that you have to think about the meaning of
>a secret passage that isn't immediately obvious just before the boss
>>
>>4218716
"Grumble grumble" isn't supposed to be vague, it's supposed to be literally "we're not telling you what you're supposed to do here".
>>
File: Hungry Goriya.png (4MB, 2400x861px) Image search: [Google]
Hungry Goriya.png
4MB, 2400x861px
>>4218716
>"grumble grumble", a purposefully vague clue that you have to think about the meaning of
>>4218723
>"Grumble grumble" isn't supposed to be vague, it's supposed to be literally "we're not telling you what you're supposed to do here".

Do people not read the manual and other materials that come with the game anymore? You really only have one item that makes sense in that context and the "
Maps and Strategies" even just spells it out for you.
>>
>>4218550
Yeah the difficulty swing on second quest is fucked up the first few dungeons are way worse than the rest and they force you into rupee collecting way too much.
>>
>>4218748
>he broke open the seal that they said was only a last resort

Casual
>>
>>4218770
I'm fairly certain that 8 year old me didn't even read the print on that before opening, thinking it might have been a poster or some shit like pic related.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.