[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SNES or DS? I only played this game once 10 years without finishing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

SNES or DS? I only played this game once 10 years without finishing it. Figured I'm way overdo for a proper run. The plan is to use emulation, but the DS version probably doesn't cost much.
>>
File: chrono-trigger_campfire.gif (223KB, 468x380px) Image search: [Google]
chrono-trigger_campfire.gif
223KB, 468x380px
>>4212576
DS version is fine; you can just ignore the somewhat bland extra stuff since it's never in the way, but some might find the Toei-animated cutscenes triggering

If portability isn't an incentive and emulation not a deterrent, there's no reason not to play the original instead
>>
The ds version in a DSi XL
>>
They're both fine, PS1 version is the only one to avoid. DS makes a couple of dialogue changes but if you haven't played it in ten years you probably won't notice.
>>
>>4212576
SNES. DS added extra items and made shit easier.
>>
On a similar note, is there any point in playing the SFC version of Final Fantasy V over the GBA one? Other than the original having better sound
>>
>>4212919
Not really. The GBA version has extra jobs that are unlocked only at the very end of the game so that makes them pretty worthless. Even the job you get by beating the extra boss is again, pretty worthless considering it's a reward for beating the hardest boss in the game.

Though there is a patch for the GBA version that moves around the order in which you get them that I highly recommend. Though the better option would have just been a NG+ that lets you keep all your jobs.
>>
>>4212881
>Makes shit easier

Is that even possible?
>>
>>4212576
DS is a fine port but the extra content is quite boring. You wont miss out on anything if you dont play it. I'd go with SNES unless you need portability.
>>
>>4212576
SNES by far. DS version has a butchered, dry, lifeless re-translation and a bunch of tacked on grindy bullshit post-game that was never meant to be there. 9/10 times you always want to play the original of something, especially something classic, so you can see what made it so great in the first place before other meddling hands got ahold of it and changed it.
>>
>>4213258
So he should play the Japanese version, the one that isn't tainted by Woolsey's shit translation?
>>
>>4213287
If you know Japanese why wouldn't you play the Japanese version?
>>
>>4212576

I never finished it on my DS. I only played when I was traveling, and I kind of stopped traveling. It's not too expensive I think, but I bought it when it was new. Then again SNES version is free and can be downloaded in two minutes.
>>
>>4212576

Get the DS version if you have a DS/3DS. Having a physical copy of this timeless masterpiece on a modern console is well worth the price.
>>
>>4212576
snes is fine
DS has a better translation and bonus content, but the bonus content is eh. The dimensional vortexes and new ending are fine but the reptite village is ass.
>>
>>4212576
Both are good, just avoid mobile and PS1 like the plague. If you like the PS1 cutscenes play DS though, there's no loadtimes.

People will whine about frog, but really it's personal taste.

>>4213080
I didn't recognize any stat changeups playing without those shitty new sidequests.

Don't do the TOSE ones on your first though, Icewyrm is basically Rainbow but more OP.
>>
>>4212919
You can't switch between characters with l/r in the menu screen of the sfc version.
>>
Best emulator to play this game on SNES?

http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Super_Nintendo_emulators

Recommends three emulators.
>>
>>4216331

I used to play on zsnes fifteen years ago. If you mention zsnes on this board nowadays you're told to get out. People here don't have history.

Pretty certain snes9x is the preferred choice, check the sticky.
>>
>>4212576
DS
No question.
>>
>>4212576
SNES
No question.
>>
>>4216769
>>4216847
there are two kinds of people

or this is just a same fag who thinks hes clever.
>>
>>4213287

Yes. Woolsey translated games to be enjoyed by English-speaking humans with regularly functioning brains, Squeenix translations seem to aim squarely for autists that want a literal, word-for-word translation with stoic, Japanese 'charm' that makes no effort to adapt anything culturally.

I'm not of the 'every translation is a bad translation' camp but when you get to a certain point of moaning about the most trivial shit you're better off learning the language. Even the DS version version isn't as bad as the fan-patch out there that attempts to 'fix' things further by renaming Frog to 'Kaeru' and the like. JRPG fans are something else sometimes.
>>
>>4212576

SNES version.

DS version's font is super small and was unplayable until I got a 3DS with a wider screen.

Also the extra content they added is super lazy and uninspired. So disappointed by it.
>>
Why the hell does nobody bring up the muffled music on the DS version? The text was also an eyestrain.

>>4212576
SNES
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.