[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: talk about ""Metroidvania"" games which

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

File: JSWGTFO_400x400.jpg (9KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
JSWGTFO_400x400.jpg
9KB, 400x400px
ITT: talk about ""Metroidvania"" games which were around before Metroid 1. I'll start with the obvious one.
>>
>>4212050
metroidvania is a meme-genre just like roguelike
>>
>>4212221
No it isn't.
>>
File: Dwarf-fortress.jpg (12KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
Dwarf-fortress.jpg
12KB, 350x350px
>>4212221
>roguelike is a meme genre
Urist would like to have a word with you.
>>
>>4212742
Is Dorf Fortress even roguelike? I don't think so
>>
>>4212742
They're baiting you hard, unless they think roguelikes are shit like Enter the Gungeon. Then they're just one of many who don't do research.

>>4212772
Fortress mode isn't, but adventure mode is.
>>
>>4212742
Hey beter
>>
>>4212050
These games USED to be called Jet Set Willy clones.
What happened?
>>
File: Vampire_Killer_MSX[1].jpg (130KB, 300x390px) Image search: [Google]
Vampire_Killer_MSX[1].jpg
130KB, 300x390px
>>4212050
>>
that one egg guy
>>
>>4212050
Jet Set Willy, Pitfall 2, Xanadu: Dragon Slayer 2 and Montezuma's Revenge are some that come to my mind, at least.

Really, gameplay style of "get an item/ability and then backtrack to where you need it" was pioneered by (top down) Adventure on Atari 2600 in 1980, so it follows that there will be a lot of games in between 1980 and 1986 that experimented with this gameplay style. It's also where Zelda got it from.
>>
>>4213418
I mean, I imagine they were called JSW clones in UK/Europe, because Willy was on ZX Spectrum. In America, NES was way more popular so Metroid superceded JSW in popular conciousness.
>>
File: 20110115150543412.jpg (491KB, 1178x776px) Image search: [Google]
20110115150543412.jpg
491KB, 1178x776px
>>4214103
>Xanadu: Dragon Slayer 2
Does that really count? Most of it is just fighting monsters for loot and xp. Keys are just bought in stores and most areas can be reached by platforming instead of expending rare expendables like flying boots.
Romancia should fit the bill a lot better.
>>
>>4212050
You mean Willyvanias
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhIA3sgsqIA
>>
File: space_hunter.jpg (23KB, 245x169px) Image search: [Google]
space_hunter.jpg
23KB, 245x169px
Space Hunter on the Famicom
>>
File: NodesofYesod.png (336KB, 4110x3213px) Image search: [Google]
NodesofYesod.png
336KB, 4110x3213px
Was this the original Metroid?
>>
>>4212050
Maze of Galious, technically came after Metroid but whatever.
>>
>>4214539
That 128k music is pretty nice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoPfjoP_mKc
>>
Shit, probably half the library on the C64 is some form of "metroidvania"
>>
File: MontyontheRun.png (91KB, 2363x1761px) Image search: [Google]
MontyontheRun.png
91KB, 2363x1761px
>>
>>4214106
Metroid didn't come out until much later.
>>
Willy clones and Metroidvanias are fairly different beasts. Willy games tend to be more open and lack powerups, instead usually focusing on collecting every item in the game and depositing them somewhere.
>>
What people often fail to understand is that in "Metroidvania", there is "vania", meaning that your game needs exp and some RPG elements.

So, Metroids aren't Metroidvanias, and neither are any "game liked Metroid" that came out before Metroid, unless they also have RPG elements.
>>
>>4215985
I think this does not apply. It's just one huge ass linear stage.
>>
>>4216164
>"vania", meaning that your game needs exp and some RPG elements.
Not necessarily, as no Castlevania before SOTN featured such elements, so they cannot be regarded as a "-vania" series hallmark.

Yes, SOTN had those elements, but still the Metroidvania term is, in my personal subjective opinion, rather derived due to Castlevania games popularizing the concept established in Metroid and demonstrating its translation to other formats.
>>
>>4214140
They really fucked it up in the American localization
>>
>>4216164
Which Metroid game has RPG elements?
>>
>>4216471
>Not necessarily, as no Castlevania before SOTN featured such elements, so they cannot be regarded as a "-vania" series hallmark.

Except the term Metroidvania doesn't come from pre-SOTN CVs, it comes from SOTN.

>>4216520
Like I said, not a single Metroid game is a "Metroidvania".

That name genre itself is a mix of two things, the open-ended action adventure style of Metroid, which SOTN used, mixed with the RPG elements that SOTN and its successors brought onto the table. It was made to differentiate those Castlevania games with the OTHER kind of Castlevania games.

Without the RPG elements there is no reason to use the "-vania" suffix. It's just "action-adventure", like all Metroid game ares.

People get retarded with trendy and over-precise genre names. It's the same with survival horror, people started calling everything "survival horror" because it was trendy to do it, everything from the lightgun-game 'railshooters' House of The Dead to the action-rpg Parasite Eve.
>>
>>4216531
Wouldn't it be the simplest to just call them platforming RPGs and platforming adventures?
>>
>>4216531
>It's only Role Playing when there's numbers going up

do you even know what the term means?

god, these non-tripping namefriends are even worse than the fullblown tripfags.
>>
>>4216571
Tell us how Wizardry doesn't count as RPG while Zork does.
>>
>>4216571
>it's only Role Playing when there's numbers going up

Video game genres are defined by gameplay mechanics.
The ONLY gameplay mechanics that define RPGs is exactly what you call "numbers going on".

Plus I said "RPG elements"
>>
>not a single Metroid game is a "Metroidvania".

Was it autism?
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.