[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, I'm thinking of modding this game to have English-translated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: 35113_front[1].jpg (26KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
35113_front[1].jpg
26KB, 512x512px
So, I'm thinking of modding this game to have English-translated text. The problem is, I'm new to modding games. What's the best way to mod a game? Any advice would be appreciated
>>
>>4209943
Hex editing, disassembly, and a fuck ton of alcohol. The better solution is to translate it, and wait for someone that can actually do that for you to come along.
>>
From what I've seen this game doesn't use compression, which is always a big plus. The game also has a good amount of English already in place, another plus.

The question is if the text is stored as TIM or if it uses a table for its Japanese characters as things could get ugly, requiring a variable width font for you to be able to insert a proper script.

Anyway, if you want to translate it, I think you can already start by transcribing what Japanese you see in menus and dialogue and then look for help with the hacking side of things.
>>
>>4210360
What is a TIM?
>>
>>4209943
Don't do that one, do Mizzurna falls instead.
>>
@4210640
bait
>>
>>4210640
1. Who cares about your Twin Peaks simulator? I want to translate my space arcade simulator
2. That's already getting a translation.
http://projectmizzurna.tumblr.com/
>>
>>4210616
It's a graphics format used by the PS1. Games use them for textures and sometimes text.

If you open the disc image with jPSXdec, you'll see uncompressed graphics, those are TIM files. They can be compressed too, but if they were, they wouldn't show up at all with that program.
>>
Isn't this game just the arcade games with no museum stuff?
>>
>>4210692
Technically, yes. It's 7 machines that you can examine, along with the receptionist (who seems to hint at some features hidden behind Japanese text) and a thing for records.

>>4210682
So, if the text is made of TIMs, it'll be easier to replace?
>>
>>4210717
It really helped in my case in translating another PSX game. Having to deal with tables, hex and related shenanigans gives me the shivers, ew. I'd rather edit textures.

Just as an FYI, every file that you can see with jPSXdec can be extracted for editing. You can edit the images with Photoshop or GIMP. You'll need TIM2View not only because it allows you to view uncompressed TIM files but also because it allows you to replace them.

But TIM files have important metadata like a header with X and Y coordinates and the CLUT, which need to be identical to the original file for them to work after re-insertion.

And then there's the colors, most of the time they should be 4-bit, which means 16 colors per texture (they're indexed, not RGB). I use GIMP for that, the only annoying part is copy each color to form a new color palette to assign to an edited texture. Two important settings are: uncheck "remove unused colors from colormap" under Image->Mode->Indexed>assign custom palette (this is when you change the bitmap image to Index) and then when you want to export it under Export As.. as BMP (what I use, dont know if PNG has the following option), check Do Not Write Color Space Information under Compatibility Options. These two are very important, don't know where they are in Photoshop, but it has them too most definitely.

For now you can start looking for what you need and translate the text, it helps to have tangible results when looking for help.
>>
>>4210748
Alright, thanks for the suggestions. I suppose I'll continue chipping at the translation for now.
Two quick questions:
1. The text is all listed as png files. Will that be a problem?
2. I notice a lot of TIP files in this archive. What are those?
>>
>>4210852
>1. The text is all listed as png files. Will that be a problem?
They're TIM files. If you're using jPSXdec, you can extract any TIM as a BMP, PNG, GIF or TIM.
>>4210852
>2. I notice a lot of TIP files in this archive. What are those?
No idea, could be anything.
>>
>>4210867
Okay, good. That's what I thought.
>>
>>4210297
If everyone took your advice no one would get anything done you know. Behold: he is trying to become that person. And I believe in him.
>>
>>4209943
Start with easier mods and work your way up from there. Have a look at already translated games to see how they did it.

>>4210717
If all the text was just TIMs you can just edit it like any picture. If the TIMs are fonts they can give you an idea of the character set being used when it's a non standard one.

>hidden behind Japanese text
You mean explained in Japanese text you can't read?

>>4210852
>The text is all listed as png files
It's not but if that's all you care to/can do then knock yourself out. That's easy.
>>
>>4209943
>So I want to do heart surgery, the problem is, I'm new to medicine. What's the best way to do surgery?

Just stop, this isn't gonna get anywhere.
>>
File: 1502687199690.png (398KB, 495x439px) Image search: [Google]
1502687199690.png
398KB, 495x439px
>>4212041
I disagree. As a matter of fact, my advice is probably the most important part of getting a game translated.
>>
>>4213929
I forgot to add something.

And I say this because what would you rather? Someone that is inexperienced in actually working the text into the game but can translate it and keep it ready for when needed, or someone that is experienced in the actual editing process but can't read the language? If two people were to cooperate with each other utilizing their individual skill, they'd get it done much faster and it would be way less of a hassle on either side.
>>
OP, I suggest you post a thread on RHDN under Personal Projects, you'll get more visibility and I can post more advice on how to get started there, this project can happen but I wouldn't do it here, of all places...
>>
File: ne_test.png (69KB, 639x483px) Image search: [Google]
ne_test.png
69KB, 639x483px
>>4213953
a test I made as proof, I did all the things I mentioned above plus some other stuff
>>
Did you gave up already?
>>
lame
>>
>>4210748
Are PS1 textures really 16 colors?
>>
>>4213931
Well OP doesn't have the skills to translate the text or work it into the game so it's a mute point. He'll use google translate and edit some bitmaps and end up with shite but that's fine because no one cares. Hopefully he's autistic enough to edit and destroy all the beautiful artwork included in the game as well.
>>
every now and then there's someone who goes willy-nilly I WANNA TRANSLATE THIS GUISE YAY then silence, even when they get support like itt, kek m8s

you kinda have to be a retard to start something on 4chan too, so thats a bad sign right there
>>
>>4215579
Funny thing is translating shit like this is very easy and OP will probably do a spot on job of photoshopping google translate shit into the files. In 10 years he'll be back here asking anyone who remember his shit hack to blow smoke up his ass like the catshit guy.
>>
>>4216456
You have to be pretty retarded to repeatedly talk like op is even "doing", this dead on arrival fan-"""translation""", let alone "can", which they are not. You didn't even read the thread and/or your English is pretty shit, and the less said about your intelligence the better

they received just a few pointers and a fraction of the tools necessary for the job, which I have so at least I know what I'm talking about, unlike your autistic ass
>>
>>4216587
Lots of irony and projection there sport. Faggot OP has already worked out how to do it. If you'd read the thread you'd have seen that here >>4213984. Now it's simply a matter of pointing his phone at each image and typing up a replacement in paint. But feel free to be le edgy contrarian fuck because you never accomplished anything in your life. It gives me pleasure to know you're such a sad fuck you're jelly of a kid replacing bitmaps in a game no one cares about.
>>
OP here.
Huh, I didn't realize this thread was still here. At either rate, I'm working on the translation right now (machine stuff is almost done. Currently on menus and history). I'm hoping to get all of the text translated within the week.
>>
>>4218781
>At either rate
I hope your translation in to hue turns out well.
>>
File: 1458572913849.jpg (84KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1458572913849.jpg
84KB, 512x512px
>wasting time translating this piece of trash instead of Yuuyami Doori Takentai or Twilight Syndrome Special

End yourself-desu.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.