[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is the best, most fun fighting game ever made. Learning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 8

File: soulcal.jpg (236KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
soulcal.jpg
236KB, 2048x1536px
This is the best, most fun fighting game ever made.
Learning endless complicated combos is boring and tedious. You can actually play this one with your friends, and never once get rage
>>
>>4209556
Played SoulCal 2 a bunch in the Navy. We had all three consoles between us so would switch up which version we played when we wanted to fight as Link, Heihachi or Spawn. Good times.
>>
>>4209563
it's the best pick up game for social situations I've ever come across
I usually just leave it on if I have people round so they can kill each other for a bit between drinks
>>
>>4209563
As a mariner, what was your opinion on Cervantes?
>>
Pity that Soul Calibur II HD Online is dead (and the netcode is trash).
>>
>>4209556
>retarded easypissy fighting games are the best!
I'm sorry for your low IQ
>>
>>4209593
we were all airdales, but none of us really like Cervantes. I preferred nunchaku Elvis Maxi and QT Sophitia.
>>
>>4209617
What is low IQ about Soul Calibur, as opposed to other fighting games? Easy execution doesn't mean low IQ. Difficult execution stuff doesn't require intelligence, it requires hours of tedium doing the same thing over and over again in the practice room instead of actually playing the game. In fact easier execution means that the emphasis is even more on outsmarting your opponent.
>>
>>4209617
it doesn''t require any iq at all to learn the order to press buttons in. It's basically being a robot
>>
>>4209678
>i've never played a fighting game with a human
Ok bro
>>
>>4209685
are you saying it requires a lot of intelligence to learn the order to press buttons in?
I'm not talking about choice of moves, or tactics. I'm talking about the simple technical difficulty of executing moves here
>>
>>4209556
Best? I couldn't agree. Most fun? Absolutely. SoulCalibur is the sort of series you can go back to time and time again and enjoy. It does technically have depth to it, but it isn't an overwhelming amount of depth and you learn how to play pretty quickly, a feature which Samurai Shodown did so well before it.

There's nothing wrong with having a basic fighting game like SoulCalibur. Unfortunately, with the overly heavy emphasis on tournament fighting nowadays SoulCalibur has gone to the wayside, despite there being quite a lot of demand for a new entry in the series.
>>
>>4209691
>most fun but not the best

What other purpose is there for a fighting game than being fun? Or do you mean that the game is somehow ill-suited for serious competitive play?
>>
>>4209696
>Or do you mean that the game is somehow ill-suited for serious competitive play?
Well yes, exactly.

Also, fighting games aren't often about being fun upfront, no. The joy of a fighting game is usually from learning and metaphysically getting to grips with its mechanics; getting progressive better and more in touch with the game and you get to grips with it. Learning its depth, its nuisances, its finer points. It's more satisfaction than fun, usually.

There's a great sense of satisfaction, for instance, playing through the Tekken of the KoF series and starting to get to grips with it over time; learning priority and the timing of juggle combos in Tekken, or learning good zoning and combos in KOF. That's just two examples, but that tends to be the enjoyment of so many fighting games series. It's about taking your time with them and enjoying them for what they are, as well as what you can do with them.

It's not for everyone, of course, and that's why something like SoulCalibur is good. It still has depth and mechanics to learn, but is much easier and more fun to grasp in general. I'd almost call it something of a "gateway fighting game", to ease you into the genre if you wanted to try some of the more complex series.
>>
>>4209721
>implying Soul Calibur doesn't have priority, juggling, combos or zoning
Bloody Roar 2 is the best fighting game anyway
also
>metaphysically
>>
>>4209725
I never said it didn't, but it doesn't have it to the same extent as other fighting games.

>Bloody Roar 2 is the best fighting game.

Objectively wrong, but it is a fun game.

Also, you can't understand the connection between metaphysics and fighting games then I don't know what else to say to you. If you don't like depth then fine, enjoy what you enjoy, but don't insult others to hide your own failings.
>>
>>4209556
This is /vr/ on fighting games
>>
>Soul Calibur 1 thread
>anons talking about 2 or the series
>not just 1

Every time, even on /vr/.
>>
>>4209556
>You can actually play this one with your friends
You mean like any fighting game?
>>
>>4209691
>Unfortunately, with the overly heavy emphasis on tournament fighting nowadays SoulCalibur has gone to the wayside
SC went to the wayside because they kept fucking up entries and couldn't decided if they wanted to go after the casual or competitive audience.
>>
>>4209721
I'm not going to argue that SC has depth, but you are actually a tard if you think combos and technical execution are a good measure of it.
>>
>>4209556
SC1 is the best game in the series.

Every other game that came after got too Tekken-like with the juggles.
>>
>>4213858
SCII "juggles" are like two-three hits typically.
>>
>>4209556
SC is alright for a fighting games. But far from the best. I wouldn't even include it in a top 20. And yeah its a bit spammy and random.
>>
>>4209556
Astaroth, Kilik & Knightmare can be rage inducing
>>
>>4209556
NOT RETRO
>>
File: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).png (3KB, 224x158px) Image search: [Google]
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).png
3KB, 224x158px
>>4214476
>(c) 1998 1999
>>
>>4214593
FUCK YOU SOUL CALIBUR IS NOT RETRO
>>
>>4214605
The original boardset is based on PSX hardware.
>>
>>4214612
Yep, pic related totally looks like a PS1 game.
Every technology has been based on previous hardware, kid.
>>
The amazing thing with soulcalibur is, it was designed with casual and noobs in mind. And it actually paid out, See -> >>4209556

If a fighting game is good or considered bad has nothing to do with the actual quality of the game or its mechanics. Deciding factor is solely in how-often-OP-can-win.
>>
>>4214702
what fighting game doesn't let you select an easy difficulty level for cpu? that makes every fighting game winnable to n00bs
>>
>>4209556
i agree with you but i also love mvc and dbz games, mortal kombat and tekken are good too
>>
>>4214605
>muh ilogical board rules
>>
>>4213858

SC1 was the last one they bothered to balance and was spared meme shit like Link and Darth Vader.
>>
i have to kindof agree, and it works very well with both controllers and sticks

sc1 is the best of the series imo in every way overall, even sp is pretty fun and engaging, and traing mode for learning new skills is simple and the way combos flow makes it feel very smooth
>>
>>4215448
SCV was balanced AND didn't have meme characters. Of course it sold poorly and killed the series.
>>
I really like how Soul Caliber (at least 1-3) are as much based on movement and proper positioning as they are combos and techniques, because you're able to move around in any direction. I've played against dudes who were combo kings, but I knew their moves and kept my distance, avoiding their verticals and horizontals with proper timing-dodges and guard breaks, and just sniping them with basic one-button attacks until I won. Not that that was my go-to strategy, it's just really cool that it's a viable option, compared to Mortal Combat and Tekken.

Also, SCII is the best fighting game ever made and Raphael is the best character.
>>
File: latest.jpg (111KB, 800x804px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
111KB, 800x804px
This any good?
>>
>>4214713
Some snk and capcom fighting games are rather mean on easiest level. Just saying. Those are often the games some anons feel the need to devalue.
>>
>>4215512
>Pulled a Third Strike
SCV was built to kill the series, they knew what they were doing.
>>
>>4215557
casual
>>
>>4215570
Yes.
>>
>>4215580
Nobody should be fucking playing the CPU, ever. You play Arcade mode once to watch the ending and train execution then move on to fighting other human beings.
>>
>>4209556
None of my friends play fighting games, but can play the newer Blazblue games just fine with stylish mode and actually be on equal footing with me, unlike any other fighting game.
>>
>"SC 1 is easy and people can spam combos"
>"muh Kilik spamming"
>what is a guard impact
>>
the cardinal rule of video games is actually HAVING FUN, so do yourselves a favor and play ARCADE MODE PLENTY
>>
>>4216341
Nope, vidya is for suffering, just like everything else in life.
>>
Is this series as dead as Toshinden and Gex?
>>
>>4216872
Yes, and after SC 4/5 thanks God
>>
>>4216886
>Yes, and after SC 3/4/BD/5/that shitty f2p thing thanks God
ftfy
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (173KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
173KB, 1920x1080px
>>4216897
>SC3
Nice joke, 3 is best Soul calibur
>>
>>4216910
3 was a piece of shit that dealt the death blow to the series. Later entries were just nails in the coffin.
>>
>>4216935
>3 was a piece of shit that dealt the death blow to the series
3 was a fine game hated 'cause PS2 exclusive
>>
>>4216943
Isn't it rather because it screws over you memory card?
>>
>>4216943
Nah, 3 was when it became very apparent they had a different idea of how the game "should" play in comparison to SC1. Characters became a shit ton more stiff, movement was gimped, attacks were made to be more slow across the board. SC2 had elements of it but SC3 was the full blown transition into Tekken with swords. This isn't even going into how the game is an unoptimized buggy mess that barely functions
>>
>>4216957
>Nah, 3 was when it became very apparent they had a different idea of how the game "should" play in comparison to SC1.
Not a super easy fighting game for casuals?
>>
>>4216965
That's the thing though, they took everything from Tekken except the difficult execution strings.
Which dumbed down the series even further because now you're left with Tekken's piss poor neutral and SC's piss poor advantage
>>
>>4209556
I like the first two sequels (which are non-/vr/) better because the first one won't work on ePSXe without crashing.
>>
>>4216950
This is made up shit, my memory card is just fine.

>>4216935
1 was good, 2 really brought SC into the big time and 3 knocked it out of the park with a ridiculous amount of characters and dat customization
>>
There's always someone who picks Nightmare and someone who picks Kilik.
>>
>>4217947
what are you talking about Soul Edge emulates just fine
>>
>>4218051
I played a lot as Nightmare in SC2; unquestionably my best character in that one. I liked how his attacks flowed together, like Eddy from Tekken but with less CHICKEN and more utter hatred for all that breathes life.

In any other SC game, though? Sophitia's my girl m8

Actually these days I take her over Nightmare in SC2 as well
>>
>>4218084
Soul Edge on arcade emulators might be fine but Soul Blade for PSX in particular is what I was referring to, particularly in Edge Master mode where it is infamous for freezing up. AFAIK nobody has found a fix to this besides simply avoiding that part of the game.
>>
>>4218087
What the fuck, I could swear I've beaten that mode with EPSXE
>>
>>4217961
>made up shit

Sure. That Chronicles of the Sword savefile never gets corrupted, or fucks ever over the other savefiles on the memory card. Is just made up shit, rumors and legends.
>>
>>4215512
>no meme characters

It has fucking Ezio in it...
>>
>>4218150
Has never happened in my experience. My cards are 100% fine.
>>
>>4215570
EASILY the best in the series and the most well balanced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtF80UCgarY
>>
>>4215448
>>4215512
>>4218360
There's nothing wrong with Ezio and Link, they fit the aesthetic of the series just fine. Spawn, Heihachi, and the star wars shit were what was really out of place. I'd even go as far to argue that some of the series more outlandish designs like Tira, Dampierre, and Necrid conflict more with the rest of the roster than Ezio and Link did.
>>
>>4209725
This Bloody Roar is out right the best fighting game, the level of depth blows Soul calibur out the water.
>>
File: Fighting Games Tier List v1.3.jpg (2MB, 1500x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Fighting Games Tier List v1.3.jpg
2MB, 1500x3000px
>>4209556
>>
File: 1212159982751.jpg (88KB, 701x728px) Image search: [Google]
1212159982751.jpg
88KB, 701x728px
>>4220145
>being a capcuck
>>
>>4209685
Because fight game tourneys are filled with people with college degrees. Not niggers.

Stay mad at your gas station job, faggot.
>>
>>4209685
i wouldn't consider anyone in that circus of divas that is the FGC human
>>
File: laughing.jpg (220KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
laughing.jpg
220KB, 1600x1200px
>>4220145
>>
>>4220145
Accurate
>>
>>4220145
I don't know why people are shitting on this, this is the objective truth. Fuck Mortal Kombat.
>>
>>4220145
Garou is a meme game. The combo system is shit, characters move and feel like shit, neutral plays out like shit because of stubby normals out the wazoo. There's a reason its dead as fuck on fightcade and multiple KoF games have 100+people playing normally.
>>
>>4221093
Also Tizoc's hitboxes are COMPLETELY broken and making him totally useless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gRoJcRI-Jc
>>
>>4221093
They were 90% into the development of a MotW 2 to fix all this broken shit but SNK went bankrupt and the Koreans cancelled it. Oh well.
>>
>>4221072
i'm sure your wife's son is proud of how good you are in street fighter
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.