[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was hacking roms and uploading them to forums when I was 12

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 23

I was hacking roms and uploading them to forums when I was 12 years old.

Is that impressive, or are kids these days super tech minded and can figure anything out easily?
>>
Catman?
>>
Holy fucking shit it is you. Yes, it is impressive. Catman series is well regarded among the badhacks group. When the fuck are you gonna finish catman 5?
>>
I fucked around with Tilelayerpro, SonEd and Lunar Magic when I was like 12 too. I forgot the name of the hex editor I used but it was commercial you had to crack it to work. That doesn't mean you're smart, you know.
>>
File: snapshot.jpg (16KB, 320x240px)
snapshot.jpg
16KB, 320x240px
>samus head disappears when you move
Yep, you had one job.
>>
>>4204810
I was making games in rpgtoolkit and making flash cartoons when I was 12 before making everything in flash was industry standard so this would have been 16 years ago

Think there is just as many technically-inclined preteens then as there are now

Like any preteen doing something technical online, you were probably still somehow inherently subpar at what you were doing
>>
File: Cat Man 4 (FF1 Hack).png (14KB, 252x223px) Image search: [Google]
Cat Man 4 (FF1 Hack).png
14KB, 252x223px
>>4204823
>Holy fucking shit it is you.
Yes is it.
I'm dealing with a lot of bullshit in my life now but Catman 5 is something I plan on doing in my life once I fix things.

>badhacks group.
Why is that site gone now?
I read forum posts about my hacks there.
Also all of the old zophar posts when I was there are now gone and have been gone for many years now.
All those extreme oldfags like ZeldaDD and chiefmonkey are gone now.
My first internet drama bullshit. Oh the memories....

Also, the reason Catman is from Detroit is because I'm from "South Detroit", Windsor, Ontario.

>>4204829
His legs fucked up too.
I remember I fixed both of these issues and a few other things but I must have uploaded the broken version to Zophar.
Oh well.
>>
>>4204848
>Like any preteen doing something technical online, you were probably still somehow inherently subpar at what you were doing
yeah thanks dick
I don't see you creating an autistic rom hack that made people laugh for years to come.
>>
>>4204824
>I forgot the name of the hex editor I used
I used Hexposure, I loved the dos version.
I loved the ability to relative search and make a text table which worked quite well for editing text

I also edited code from the roms like ability to jump on koopas in super mario bros
>>
>>4204867
this was me
I am drunk
>>
>>4204852
I have / had way better things to do than be a nobody and samefag threads
>>
>>4204849

Holy shit, I was just reading the "review" on the Catman series on Baddest Hacks a few days. Amazing to see the creator actually pop up.

Will Catman 5 be a full-fledged game, or will it be another hack that's over in like 5 minutes? Will we finally be able to take down Mr. Biggles Worth and end his bullshit once and for all? Seriously, that guy is an asshole that won't give up.
>>
>>4204810
This thread reeks of reddit and samefag
>>
>>4204810
>12 years old
>online forums
>>
>>4204875
>Holy shit, I was just reading the "review" on the Catman series on Baddest Hacks a few days.
link?

>Amazing to see the creator actually pop up.
I've been on 4chan since 2007.
YTMND since 2006

>Will Catman 5 be a full-fledged game
Yeah probably.
Maybe it will only be some artwork or something.
I plan on paying tribute to it one way or another some time in my life.

>Will we finally be able to take down Mr. Biggles Worth and end his bullshit once and for all? Seriously, that guy is an asshole that won't give up.
I know. Fuck that dick, keeps giving us the runaround.

I was in grade 7 when I made this game.
I put it on the school computer and everyone was impressed.

>>4204880
Nobody is reddit here.
Reddit has always been cancer.
I remember when Digg was just like reddit, I thought digg would be around forever. But reddit got more cringy and shitty.
>>
>>4204883

http://www.baddesthacks.net/?p=229
>>
>>4204889
>http://www.baddesthacks.net/?p=229
Thanks.
I read the original badderhacks article before the site was deleted.

>That was written in 2001. Here we are, six years later, and still no dice.
Holy fuck was this article really THAT OLD?
2007?
>>
cool ego, dude. nothing's changed, kids are still retarded as ever but some rise above the others. it's the same with adults too.
>>
Cattar, your spirit still lives on at baddesthacks. I was also doing shitty rom hacks when I was an adolescent, tho it was the "generation" right before you. glad you're still around.
>>
>>4204903
Badhacks will be celebrating it's 10 anniversary in october. Catman was one of if not the first thing the original owner reviewed
>>
I didn't try rom hacks but I modded HL and made some shitty RPG Maker games.

Never made anything popular though, not that I regret it since I learned a lot and just made things for fun, but I wish people would've liked my stuff too.
>>
>>4206042
definitely not, but you are certainly a fagfag.
>>
>>4206051
dude harnessing the power of the double fag
>>
>>4206051
>>4206057
Samefag
>>
>>4206042
Jesus. This!

It's funny how this random person posts a thread about some ancient forum shit, and within 8 minutes gets two people posting knowing who he is as the first two posts in the thread.
>>
>>4206067
not that unlikely, these romhacks communities used to be tightly knit places, I still remember some users from Simon Wai's site
>>
>>4206074
>these romhacks communities used to be tightly knit places
And those 3 people from the same community just happened to be browsing at the exact same time, with two of them being the first to reply in the thread. Seems legit.
>>
>>4206081
Could be, 4chan intersects with a lot of no life nerd interests. Who cares though, even these people samefagging agree the hack is shit.
>>
So what if he's samefagging. Let the namefag have his 3 minutes of internet fame. Who gives a shit.
I wish people wouldn't take 4chan so seriously.
>>
File: chrono cat.png (3KB, 249x318px) Image search: [Google]
chrono cat.png
3KB, 249x318px
I remember catar from back then, he was a pest that wouldn't go away.
>>
>>4206108
it's probably not really cattar, I have no idea how he could prove he is though
>>
>>4204810
I used to romhack a bit when I was around 15 or so. I couldn't do anything impressive really, it was just some basic alterations to the graphics on NES roms.

My crowning achievement was my Donkey Kong 3 hack called Donkey Dick 3. It basically looked exactly the same as the original game except that Donkey Kong had a big fat dick hanging down between his legs and, when he dropped down and killed you, he'd beat his meat instead of beating his chest.

I wish I still had the rom but it's long, long gone and I never bothered to upload it anywhere. I'm half tempted to get into romhacking again just to remake Donkey Dick for a modern audience.
>>
>>4206081
I am the first two posts. I didn't notice the trip initially. After that, I posted it in the BHDN private chat and we all showed up.
>>
>>4206042
K
>>
>>4206103
or one guy saw it, and mentioned it to the others on their community forum or chat or something, and they all came in from there.
>>
>>4206140
Truly this is the upper echelon of romhacks. Amateurs take note.
>>
>>4206042
no, only the cattar posts and the ones that I forgot my tripcode
>>
>>4206857
damn forgot tripcode again
>>
>>4206067
>and within 8 minutes gets two people posting knowing who he is as the first two posts in the thread.
because the hacks I made are somewhat famous for some reason and were reviewed in 2005.
I saw the review in 2011 and laughed about it.

>>4206081
>And those 3 people from the same community just happened to be browsing at the exact same time
I've actually posted here before a few years ago in romhacking threads and people knew about my autistic hacks.

>>4206117
Were you from zophar?
If so, who were you?

>>4206118
I am legitimately cattar.
I made these hacks on my 66 mhz windows 95 pc.
Catman lives in Detroit because I'm from Windsor.
I was working on catman 5 which was supposed to be a hack of pokemon blue, but my hard drive crashed and we got a new computer. I lost everything. I put a lot of work into catman 5.
This whole thing started as an inside joke between 2 people I knew in in grade 7.
I don't know what else to tell you.
>>
>>4206183
>I posted it in the BHDN private chat
Where is this?
>>
>>4204810
I've never really been impressed by rom hacks. 12 year olds making shitty shit with editors is exactly why. But kids are getting dumber every day and the expectations for games are getting higher so that's probably your only option. I was writing full blown games when I was younger than 12. But text adventures were state of the art at the time so it was pretty easy.
>>
>>4204810
So what is the point of this thread? you just want people to suck your dick for some shitty rom hacks you made when you were 12?
>>
>>4204852
Jesus dude, keep your ego in check.

You hacks are shit, and only other retards like them.

Stop being so salty because someone didn't praise you for being the 12 year old hacking genius you clearly think you are.
>>
File: only 8k.gif (7KB, 550x535px) Image search: [Google]
only 8k.gif
7KB, 550x535px
>>4204810

>When your life peaks at 12
>>
>>4206862
>>
>>4207401
this
>>
>>4207103
>>
>>4204810
You're a pathetic autistic tripfag.
>>
Kids today are as technologically illiterate as your grandmother.
Most of them cannot use a keyboard and mouse.
They are addicted to their "smart"phone (normie devices) which are black boxes to them. They have no clue what actually goes on under the hood or what software development actually means.
For them the Internet is comprised of about 20 apps that they go on constantly. Anything outside of that is the void.
Kids today also have no grip strength because instead of playing legos or monkey bars they just swipe their fingers across their tablet.
Do not expect the up and coming generation to create anything of value.
America is dead. The jews killed her.
>>
>>4206081
I don't know. I surprisingly find people from MegaMan Matrix posting here a lot despite the site basically being a ghost town for close to ten years and somehow these same people just happen to be showing up regularly in threads I frequent. It wouldn't be that weird if some old internet romhackers happened to reacquaint here.
>>
>>4207429
>You're not that special OP
>yeah thanks dick
>I don't see you creating an autistic rom hack that made people laugh for years to come.
Yeah, sure, I'M the salty one.
>>
>>4206957
Yep, this. The fact that goodset attempts to archive every shitty hack made in 10 minutes by every bored 12 year old makes me wanna kill myself.
>>
File: mario-kkk.jpg (339KB, 1428x962px)
mario-kkk.jpg
339KB, 1428x962px
>kkk mario vs nigger faggots
Truly the epitome of humor.
>>
>>4206140
>I'm half tempted to get into romhacking again just to remake Donkey Dick for a modern audience.
Do it.
>>
>>4207705
I prefer headless naked mario vs the dick nazis.
>>
>>4207774

But go a step further and use Donkey Kong 64 and edit the ape to have a giant 3D dong.
>>
>>4204810
My 12 year old cousin couldn't beat Pokemon y by herself. I highly doubt she can figure out how to hack roms, or even know what they are
>>
>>4204810
A lot of smart kids could probably figure out how to hack a rom, but to make and finish something that is playable is something I think very few have the skill and patience to do.
>>
>>4208448
wouldn't you rather use all that knowledge to code your own game
>>
When I was 12 I always thought retarded graphical hacks of Mario with a giant dick were stupid as hell and never thought it was funny.

Shit like Dragoon X Omega blew my fucking mind though. There aren't enough quality total conversion hacks.
>>
>>4208506
What about total conversion hacks that improve the game AND have giant dicks?

https://youtu.be/FdYpRMprltU
>>
>>4208506
Sliver X is a faggot
>>
>>4207705
oh please, tell me what humor is
>>
>>4209528
What makes you think he was being ironic. Maybe he really does think that's the epitome of humor.
>>
>>4204882
Do you think that's something special or weird? I know a lot of people who started posting on forums in their pre-teen years, probably because internet connectivity was becoming more and more prevalent at the same time.

Also online forums were really one of the few sensible go-to places in the web in late 1990s or early 2000s since there was no Facebook and such.
>>
>>4207416
what is your username
mine is theREALcattar
>>
>>4207416
also I can't post new threads
what bullshit is this?
>>
>>4204810
>everyone pay attention to me and my awesomeness!

woww very nice thread
>>
>>4211928
What if I didn't really care as much as you thought I did?
>>
>>4207416
are you all on discord?
>>
I learned hexadecimal and made a Mario romhack in one single afternoon with no previous knowlege.

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2760/

I don't understand how this is a persistent regular hobby for some people
>>
>>4211940
OP still being salty because people aren't praising him as the child genius he clearly thinks he is
>>
No dude everyone was hacking rooms back then. I remember editing pokemon blue to make ash a walking penis, I was probably 10 years old, and used dos with no$gmb to play.
>>
Also I remember attempting to translate some random snes game. I literally took screenshots of text and asked random people in aol Japan chat if they would translate something for me. Didn't get very far, maybe just the intro cutscene, but I was also in 5th grade. Even had a little cjb.net site with hack tutorials and shit. This was the time when that guy was translating pokemon gold and we were playing it a full year before everyone else was, since the us release wasn't out yet.
>>
>>4211979
>literally not caring
>salty

I don't think you know how this works kiddo.
>>
>>4212115
>Literally not caring
Then why respond? You clearly started this thread to get praise because you think you're special for hacking roms at 12 years old. And now you are buttblasted because only like 2 people recognise you and everyone else thinks you're an autistic retard.
>>
>>4211838
at 12 years old I only had Lotus 1-2-3 and Chiwriter
>>
File: 1487471865217.jpg (73KB, 639x475px)
1487471865217.jpg
73KB, 639x475px
>>4212115
>>literally not caring
Yes, you do care.
That's why you
1. responded to me.
2. made an entire thread dedicated to yourself to bloat about your genius child brain only matched by the clock master.
>>
>>4204810
drawing a penis to CHR-ROM in nesticle and uploading your "hack" to the internet is not hacking
>>
>>4212127
>>4212163
I've never seen someone so butthurt over a nostalgia thread.

>because you think you're special for hacking roms at 12 years old
No, I don't lmao, jesus christ.
>>
>>4212853
>I've never seen someone so butthurt over a nostalgia thread.
>Nostalgia thread
>I was hacking roms and uploading them to forums when I was 12 years old.

>Is that impressive, or are kids these days super tech minded and can figure anything out easily?
Sure thing buddy, that's exactly what this thread. Keep crying because no one wants to suck your dick and call you a genius.

The first person who said anything negative to you got called a dick and given a salty reply.
>>
>>4212853
>assmad baby haxor is assmad
Fucking kek. If you want a circle jerk try the frog containment board faggot.
>>
File: 1501779401245.jpg (18KB, 480x360px)
1501779401245.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
>>4207401
>>
...Do people still even play these? I don't want to be rude, but frankly, there isn't much substance in these hacks, they're barely even hacks. It would've been impressive if you had done more than just a messy attempt at "humour" like any other twelve-year old child that's been into retro games.
>>
>>4215305
*hacks* right..
>>
>>4215305
Oh please, tell me what real humor looks like.
>>
>>4215327
Humour is objective, but you can't really argue that any of these hacks had any actual effort or thought put into them. They're just an immature joke stretched too far.
>>
Not really. Calling messing with roms "hacking" in the first place is a bit of a stretch.
>>
>>4215327
>pee pee vagina
>>
>>4215305
>...Do people still even play these?

Nobody even played them back then, it went always like this.

>GUYS I MADE AN EPIC HACK CALLED SUPER PENIS QUEST FOR *nes game*
>9 insults
>1 person loves it (double account)
>that one guy that promises to play it if you play HIS hack.
>Nobody downloads it
>Nobody talks about it
>OP announces a sequel hack 2 weeks later.
>>
>>4215624
>gets archived by goodnes set anyway
>>
>>4215624
Naked Headless Mario had over 2000 downloads before Romhacking.net took it down.
>>
>>4215658
>it's download level was >2000
With that kind of demand I guess it's time to start a kickstarter for it. lol
>>
What do you guys think of disassembly?

I've been messing around with the disassembly for pokemon red/blue and attempting to make my own game out of it.

You can do much more than simple rom hacking.
I remember being an autistic 12 year old trying to find the sprites for pokemon in pokemon blue but I could never find them, turns out they were compressed.

With disassembly I can simply edit them as a .bmp file.
You can edit the sounds and game mechanics too.
You need to know assembly language though.
>>
>>4216285
>disassembly
I think i knew how to disassemble code before I was 12.
>>
>>4216351
I knew how to reverse engineer quantum computers in 17 dimensions when I was still in my mother's womb
fucking pleb
>>
>>4204810
>>4204817
>>4204823

Within 7 fucking minutes, at the slowest time, on one of the slowest boards on this site.
>>
>>4216356
Holy shit you are so fucking salty it's hilarious.

The moment someone doesn't praise you you get super butthurt.

I think this is the greatest thread ever.
>>
>>4216356
>WAAHHHHH!
It must really hurt to know you peaked at 12 with a poop that took a pee romhack.
>>
File: 1491748069037.jpg (84KB, 715x683px)
1491748069037.jpg
84KB, 715x683px
>>4216476
>>4216478
>there are literally people here getting this asspained over gentle trolling
>>
>>4216365
This

Probably one of the most pitiful threads I've seen on 4chan ever
>>
>>4216540
>>4216365
posts literally weren't me
I don't know what to tell ya
>>
>>4216529
>whine because people don't suck your dick
>i-i-i was just trolling guys!
>>
File: tott4lf.gif (206KB, 500x500px)
tott4lf.gif
206KB, 500x500px
>be cattar
>12 years old
>annoying little kid

>be cattar
>27 years old
>still annoying
>>
what the fuck is this thread
>>
>>4216912
Some guy jerking off to his 12 year old self
>>
>>4204810
The only ROM hack I've ever been impressed by is Brutal Mario
>>
>>4216597
Hurrdurr, I can post on mobile hurrr.
>>
File: 1503702425663.png (377KB, 397x664px)
1503702425663.png
377KB, 397x664px
>>4216895
>>
File: PkiglqD.png (4KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
PkiglqD.png
4KB, 512x448px
>>4217003

Wheelchair Mario was pretty neat too, I'm amazed they even managed to make an N64 version.
>>
I liked the Nigger Tennis NES rom
>>
>>4216912
Was mean't to be a rom hacking nostalgia thread, but god damn...
>>
>>4216895

Lol
>>
File: cv.jpg (168KB, 1920x1080px)
cv.jpg
168KB, 1920x1080px
I thought that guy who posted in Megaman X6 thread saying it was a PS2 game after "double checking" the facts was the most pathetic anon of the week. But lo and behold. This is really sad.
>>
>>4204810
>Is that impressive

Not at all, you were using premade tools that required very little knowledge to use.
Kinda like how kids can make youtube videos now with fancy effects despite not knowing what the hell they are doing.
>>
>>4217327
>Was mean't to be a rom hacking nostalgia thread
Sure it was, that's why you started with
>Hurrr I was hacking roms at 12, how great am I?
In fact, nowhere in your initial post did you mention that this was supposed to be a hacking nostalgia thread. It took you 13 posts before you even brought that up, and you only did that because you got butthurt from not getting the recognition you wanted.
>>
File: i troll you.png (41KB, 755x627px)
i troll you.png
41KB, 755x627px
>>4216529
>>
File: 1484284286855.jpg (76KB, 544x1024px)
1484284286855.jpg
76KB, 544x1024px
>117 replies
>only 51 posters

hmm...
>>
>>4218036
2,29 posts per ip you paranoid nutcase
>>
>>4218036

A yes another idiot who thinks we're not allowed to post more than once or else were samefagging.
>>
I used to make smw hacks
good times
Thread posts: 122
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.