[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get into Fallout 2? The beginning with the temple

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 12

File: fallout2.jpg (258KB, 800x832px) Image search: [Google]
fallout2.jpg
258KB, 800x832px
How do I get into Fallout 2? The beginning with the temple really bored me.
>>
1. Get a mod that lets you skip the Temple of Trials.
2. Head over to Klamath as soon as the game starts and pick up the Pipe Rifle from the shack on the northeast side of Klamath.
3. Run over to The Den and murder Tubby and Flick with the Pipe Rifle for all the weapons, ammo, and items you could ever need to start off.
>>
The temple takes like 5min, just run through...faggot.
>>
It shouldn't be too hard for players with Fallout 1 experience.
>>
>>4202876
>play unarmed
>AGI and STR
>kick the shit out of ants
>laugh maniacally as they explode
>>
File: F2 poem.png (10KB, 415x156px) Image search: [Google]
F2 poem.png
10KB, 415x156px
>>4202876
>>
>>4202876
did you already finish the temple? if not you can get a mod that lets you skip the temple. as far as getting into the game in general you need to like crpgs and the fallout atmosphere.
>>
>>4202876
The temple teaches you important mechanics: Lock picking, explosive door opening when lockpicks fail
Trap/plate detection and disarming/avoiding
Enemy sequencing and surprise rounds.
Fleeing from enemies/kiting to reduce to eliminate enemy attacks
Container hunting.

Pixel hunting can be avoided by holding down left shift to highlight items.

If you feel you got all those, yeah, it's boring. It's also just about enough xp to level

Then again I never got around to installing the mod to skip it because it's not all that long to get through when you know what to do and how to abuse the system.
>>
The game takes a bit of time to start. When you get your first gun things start to get good.
>>
Fallout 2 it's generally regarded as inferior to the first game because being so big actually played against it.

The first had a smaller map but a more condensed adventure and sidequests.

2 feels too scattered and basically you're delivery boy, the sidequests hardly feel rewarding and the game also doesn't reward variety. Sure you can try different builds, that doesn't mean they're going to work.
>>
File: Fo2_Myron_Ending.png (137KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Fo2_Myron_Ending.png
137KB, 640x480px
>>4204498
Wrong. Broken Hill is more complex than anything in FO1 with its endings, and nobody in FO1 is as in depth as Myron is in FO2

Fallout 1 is the milky way, but Fallout 2 is a whole universe.
>>
>>4202971
Too bad Melee Damage is a shit statistic, because it only increases your maximum damage. You need STR 7 to get any improvement, and it's miserable. No Unarmed brawler should pump Strength; it's the most "freebie" of the stats anyway.

>>4202876
When you're bored of the temple, just run past all the ants. You don't need to kill anything.

>>4204498
Honestly I agree with you, and definitely disagree about the "depth" of Broken Hills here (>>4204521), because Broken Hills is fetch quest central. It's really not that interesting of a location, even if Marcus is there.

Myron is a pretty damn memorable NPC, though, especially when you consider that the same guy plays Boone (and Max Goof). He has impressive voice range.

And yeah, generally, for any FO2 blues, just pull through ToT. The game really opens up when you get to the Den. Though it still has quite a lot of padding and some uninspired bits. Still, New Reno is one of the greatest hub towns in all RPGs.
>>
>>4204498
>>4204521
Also the one thing that FO2 does very well is that it expands mechanics. More skill checks for stuff that was terrible in FO1, many more perks, grander level progression, and BETTER WEAPON PROGRESSION. It was infuriating how Unarmed and Melee characters survive off of literal shit until you get Power Fist / Super Sledge, respectively. In FO2, you get a lot of intermediate weaponry and Unarmed gets the special array of armor-piercing punches and kicks. Also there were way too few Big Guns. FO2 made everything worthwhile, except Throwing, barring the Stunbot Thrown Flare Cheese build that I don't believe was intentional.
>>
God bless the Temple of Trials. Best casual & bethestard filter of all time.
>>
>>4204673
Difficulty is not a complaint, it's a bore.
>>
>>4204679
If people don't want to sit through the literal 2 minutes the temple of trials takes they don't deserve to play the rest of the game.
>>
>>4204610
>because Broken Hills is fetch quest central.

What would you prefer? It's an RPG style faction location using a racial component, and ultimately no matter what you do, you can't save it.

Fallout 1 location endings are incomplete or barely have any comments at the end of the game.
>>
Fallout 1 is just the demo of Fallout 2.
>>
>>4204689
Well, frankly, simply a better quest design.
Having to run errands all the way to New Reno for Zaius is not fun. Running through a shitty cave with fodder monsters in it to install a mining part is not fun. The "factions" that divide Broken Hills offer some real choices (if you lock up the racists, you say good bye to a fantastic supply of combat drugs), but it feels a little bit too shallow and bogged down in fairly weaksauce quest design.

FO2 is bigger. It has more quests. Some of those quests are gold, some of those are filler. Broken Hills feels very much like a "filler" location. It contributes to storytelling and is compelling enough, but I find it quite a bore on subsequent playthroughs.

At least Redding has a few challenging and memorable combat encounters, like the Morton Gang and the Wannamingo mine, plus the whole "jet addiction" thing lets you uncover a ton of cool things for New Reno, NCR and Vault City and really feel like you can influence the region. BH is just... kinda there.

Marcus is great, but otherwise, it's just kind of a backwater location and it doesn't even offer as much fun as other backwater locations, as The Den. Or even Modoc. You can't even influence it much because in the end, everyone loses. It just doesn't feel that satisfying.
>>
if the temple bored you, you're gonna hate the rest of the game.

>inb4 people just play the game for the post-apoc aesthetic, and don't want to fight through generic fantasy temples
>>
What other /vr/ games let you play as a 16 year old crack who're prostitute fucking old men in the den to pay for her jet fix with the chem reliant trait and every other addiction in the game?
>>
>>4202876
Have you considered not being such an impatient bitch? the temple is like 15 minutes long
>>
>>4202876
by getting rid of it and buying fallout 4 instead
>>
>>4204610
>especially when you consider that the same guy plays Boone
what
>>
>>4207813
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Marsden#Video_games
>>
>>4202876
The temple is most boring beginning in the video game for me so far. The onliest one that can compete is probably Fable.

>>4203053
lmao
>>
>>4207829
Jesus J. Christ.
>>
>>4204498
2's builds are generally more viable than 1's
>>
>>4207696
1. Fallout 4 isn't even in the same genre as Fallout 2.

2. >>>/v/
>>
>>4207971

Gotta get them epic Todd Howard jokes in.
>>
>>4207878
Builds in Fallout 1 are basically always Small Guns. There are no Energy Weapons or Big Guns until you get to the Hub and they are SUPER expensive to buy at that point. Not only that but when you do buy them you have basically got end game gear and don't progress any more (aside from Plasma Rifle -> Turbo Plasma Rifle).

Fallout 2 on the other hand, while still shitty how you don't encounter an EW or BG until around New Reno (could be right after the Den if you're actually trying), there's still way more of the game to play once you do get them, and there is a lot more progression with both of those weapon types than in F1.

Fallout 2 is categorically better for builds, actual roleplaying and gameplay content. Fallout 1 has a more condensed and better story and setting, but the gameplay of Fallout 2 outweighs the cheesiness of the easter eggs and references people constantly point out.
>>
>>4208439
>New Reno (could be right after the Den if you're actually trying),
Do you mean the toxic caves?
>>
>>4204227
Where can I find this? Is it compatible with the restoration project or the unofficial patch?
>>
>not killing everything in the temple for EXP
>>
>>4208525
No. You can get Energy Weapons in the deeper area of the Toxic Caves but IIRC it takes high repair and an electronic lockpick which you are absolutely not going to have that early, not to mention the giant robot down there.

You can get directions to Redding and New Reno while in The Den (as well as Vault City of course), so clearly the game is set up in a way that will let you make your way there pretty early, though it'd be slow and a bit treacherous.
>>
>>4204610
>melee is shit

you obviously never screwed around a melee build and just went straight to guns all the time while being miserably underpowered early. Now excuse me, I have things to punch with my mega power fist
>>
>>4202876
The temple takes like ten minutes to get through if you're not stupid.
>>
Don't bother, RPGs are actual video games anyway
>>
>>4208589
You need to disarm the traps so you can level up before the boss.
>>
>>4209268
Reading comprehension, mate. I said "Melee Damage is shit". That's a statistic. This statistic increases your MAXIMUM damage with Unarmed and Melee weapons by 1 point for every point of Strength above 6. A 10 Strength character gets 5 Melee Damage. That still means you can roll really low on your melee damage roll and deal pitiful damage with your fist or knife, and the amount of maximum damage you can possibly reach with this statistic is small. At most, pumping the Melee Damage stat only makes your blows deal (very slightly) higher average damage.

To put it bluntly, a melee brawler has no reason to pump Strength. If you're not going to use the special Unarmed moves in FO2, the access to which Strength somehow determines (though I'm not sure at this point), you can leave it as low as 3 (i.e. you're a Melee Weapons build), because Melee Damage never goes below 1.

This also means the Heavy Handed trait is pretty weak, as it pretty much makes it impossible to knockout, debilitate or outright crit-kill anyone while giving you crap returns on your melee damage done. You could try a max Strength Heavy Handed build and pump it with Bonus HtH Damage and what not, but it's grossly inefficient, even with the rules for Fast Shot in FO1.

Also, as someone who ate their teeth on these games, I find it's Melee that actually is "miserably underpowered" early, at least in Fallout 1, where your weapon progression is terrible. You get a gun from the start and you can easily loot a Shotgun and Hunting Rifle in either of the starting Vaults, which deal much higher damage than any Unarmed/Melee weapons, and you constantly keep improving your guns throughout the game, whilst Unarmed/Melee progression is literally "shit, shit, shit, Super Sledge/Power Fist, finished".

Fallout 2 makes it much better and I love it for that, but even then, Guns generally have a smoother progression. Arroyo can be done without fighting and an untagged Unarmed skill is enough to beat critters.
>>
>>4209669
>Fallout 2 makes it much better
Too bad that Restoration Project turbonerfs it to the ground.
>>
>>4202882
>>4202876
>skipping the temple
what??
you can get through it in like 5 minutes
just go straight and ignore the side chambers
also when you see the big pit take the bottom path around the ants
>>
File: amanda fallout 1.png (190KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
amanda fallout 1.png
190KB, 640x480px
How can you guys like a game with a part this fucked up?
>>
File: amanda fallout 2.png (322KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
amanda fallout 2.png
322KB, 640x480px
>>4211802
>>
File: amanda fallout 3.png (325KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
amanda fallout 3.png
325KB, 640x480px
>>4211805
>>
File: amanda fallout 4.png (324KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
amanda fallout 4.png
324KB, 640x480px
>>4211809
>>
>>4211814
>hand as cold as death
Rape is bad, boohoo.
>>
>>4211802
I like Rance.
>>
>>4211816
You can't rape the willing.
>>
File: That's an oozie 9 millimeta.jpg (9KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
That's an oozie 9 millimeta.jpg
9KB, 480x360px
>>4211959
>>
>>4211959
Only if you succeed on a speech check, otherwise it's coercion.
>>
File: 1503558387902.png (774KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
1503558387902.png
774KB, 1360x768px
Fallout 2 is my favorite H-Game.
>>
>>4212065
It's coercion if it's speech check.
CHA is for willing.
>>
>>4211573
How so?
>>
>>4212068
goddammit, why does that image kind of turn me on?
>>
>>4212615
You've been here too long.
>>
>>4212068
Has anybody made a mod that adds appropriate CG?
>>
>>4212805
If I was rich I would literally commission some smut artist to make pics of each sexual encounter in Fallout 2 and make that a mod myself.
>>
>>4213792
>set up a patreon
>CoCO: Corruption of Chosen Ones
>pay me a consultant's fee
>profit
There you go.
>>
File: 1503642863029.png (825KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
1503642863029.png
825KB, 1360x768px
>>4212615
>>
>>4202876
>Dropped at The Temple of Trials meme
Why is this a thing?
>>
>>4212601
Killap decided that having Super Sledges and Power Fists do comparable damage to endgame guns was a bug instead of a feature and "fixed" it.
>>
>>4216074
"Fixed" it how? Seriously, every time "Killap ruined melee/unarmed" gets posted, it's never explained properly.
>>
>>4216041
Greatest casual filter in all of video games.
>>
>>4216225
I thought that was Deus Ex's liberty island
>>
>>4216378
In Liberty Island you just have to wait until the crosshair tightens while having big explorable level, multiple possible approaches, several functional weapons, etc available.
Temple is just "dude 46% chance to hit lmao".
>>
>>4216393
there's like ten ants (and possibly a few scorpions, but I don't remember clearly). apart from being easy as fuck to beat, the exp you get is also a nice start for the main story.

as for deus ex, I guess most of the people who dropped it were people who expected a casual shooter, not a stealth game that might turn into a casual shooter later on depending on how you develop your character.
>>
>>4216408
It's not about how hard they're to beat. It's about a linear corridor with no freedom where you just inefficiently swing at ants (who can't hit you either) with a weapon you most likely never use again until they fucking die already.
>>
>>4216427
it takes like ten minutes tops. if missing and waiting for others' turns bores you, you're obviously playing the wrong game anyway.
>>
>>4216438
There's a big difference missing 95% chance to hit very rarely while doing some relevant side quests and missing less than 50% repeatedly while you're stuck in a bland tutorial area for the sake of exp.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.