[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it so common to bash this one? I'm going through

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

File: Sonic_3D_Blast.png (11KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic_3D_Blast.png
11KB, 320x240px
Why is it so common to bash this one? I'm going through it now and it is, pun completely intended, a fucking blast
>>
>>4201354
Well, it's not really a Sonic game, not really 3D, and it was a disappointing substitute for an actual 32-bit upgrade of the series.

It's a solid game, but the name carried responsibilities, and it simply didn't deliver
>>
>>4201354
Once you built that relationship with the controls in which you decided to work together -- it's a novel game and obviously a must play for someone sonic-obsessed -- really not bad by any means
>>
>>4201379
I'd take this kind of 3D over any of the legitimate 3D of the era. This was creative and looked really good for the time (still looks pretty solid.) Real 3D games of the time were ugly as fuck then.

I honestly like 3D Blast more than any of the original trilogy, and I love all three of them.
>>
I think it is decent to good. The biggest problem is that it is an isometric action game and it is much harder to judge the angle or depth in which you need to spindash or jump to hit an enemy or avoid something as easily in any other perspective.
>>
I've only played the saturn version and I think it's pretty great.
>>
>>4201354

It's an alright game., but it's very easy, even for a Sonic game, and has limited reply value
>>
I liked it. I owned it on Genesis and Saturn.
You know what was horrible? Sonic Blast on Game Gear.
>>
>>4201878
the graphics and music are fairly nice
but the stages are kind of lame though, and hunting for flickies sucks
the handful of platforming segments are awful because isometric platforming is inherently awful

the controls are annoyingly slippery

>>4202315
Sonic Blast is ridiculously mediocre, but never really seemed actively bad until that water stage. Just really fucking ugly.
>>
File: 1457060737155-1.png (104KB, 874x1116px) Image search: [Google]
1457060737155-1.png
104KB, 874x1116px
>>4201379
Well, at least it's a blast.
>>
It's fun, but it's definitely not without its problems. Mostly having to do with depth perception and tricky platforming.
>>
>>4201354
easily better than any 3D sonic game that came after.

the game play was not particularly sonic like, but then, trying to make something reminiscent of the 2D sonic games in 3D seems to be the source of the problems in the 3d era.
>>
I remember playing this on my brothers computer that was handed down to me

Man I wish we hadn't gotten rid of that thing
>>
I remember trying it out back when it was new, and I was disappointed. I had already played other isometric platformers before, like Spot Goes to Hollywood, and I didn't like it.
I'm sure it's not horrible, but isometric perspective for platforming is not ideal.
>>
>>4201379
>not really a Sonic game
>has Sonic in it

???
>>
>>4202705
>Sonic 3D blast
>better than Sonic Adventure

You've got to be kidding.
>>
>>4203196
Sonic Adventure is 80% garbage. Maybe take off the nostalgia glasses and you'll realize that there are only a select few fun stages. It has not aged well at all.
>>
Both versions of this game had great music
>>
>>4203491
The Sonic, Tails and Gamma stages were great.
>>
>>4201354
I remember going to GAME to get Sonic 3 as a kid and there was only Sonic 3D there so my dad got it for me instead (not gonna turn down a game).

It just didn't really seem like a sanic game. Everything looked weird and the music had a different style. I didn't mind it, it just felt weirdly dark in comparison to the other Sonic games or whatever.

I never got Sonic 3. So fuck this game.
>>
>>4203491
>Calling Sonic Adventure garbage
>Filthy casual confirmed
>>
>>4203926
>Filthy casual
He played through Sonic 3D Blast, I can't imagine him being one since a lot of people just outright skip it.
>>
>>4203491
Legitimate question: Have you played the original Dreamcast version? Each version after that is worse.
>>
>>4201354
Its confusing as where to go. Playing a 3d game with a 2d controller. Its not as premium of a game as a regular Sonic.
>>
>>4201379
>has X, Y and Z-axis
>not really 3D
>>
>>4201354
I maintain that if this hadn't been a Sonic game, but rather an isometric 3D platformer with some random original character, it would probably be considered a hidden gem, one of those late-system games that's a bit hard to find and probably goes for 40-50 bucks on ebay.
>>
>>4203162
So does smash brothers, your point?

For a game called SONIC 3D BLAST, it wasn't like any of the sonic games fans came to expect, it wasn't really 3D it was just that crappy isometric "fake" 3d and it wasn't really a blast, it was a slow ploddy exploration game.
>>
>>4204052
This, I've found most people that shit on adventure never actually played the original game on the dreamcast as it was designed. They just played crappy ports and think that's what the game was like. If someone hates SA1 it's usually a safe bet they never properly played it, they got shafted with DX or something,
>>
>>4205328
>>4204052
The changes between versions is minimal, and in order to trigger the glitches you need to know what you're doing (Egoraptor knew how to trigger them and he did to make the videos more funny, it wasn't "by accident").
>>
File: 22225_front.jpg (150KB, 640x909px) Image search: [Google]
22225_front.jpg
150KB, 640x909px
>>4205315
Wuddup
>>
>>4205334
Ego is a fucking hack. Anyone who takes his opinion on anything remotely seriously needs their head examined.
>>
>>4205334
>in order to trigger the glitches you need to know what you're doing
I dunno, man. The camera is definitely worse overall, and I found that the physics were way more likely to act up in certain, completely normal situations. Also seems like Sonic was more likely to get stuck on walls and railings, especially in Speed Highway.
>>
>>4205334
>(Egoraptor knew how to trigger them and he did to make the videos more funny, it wasn't "by accident").
Source? Also, why fucking white knight for that loser?
>>
>>4205360
>Source?
It's as obvious as it gets.
>All you have to do is hold forward
>"I know, let's hold right."
>"Oh fuck, I fell through a wall. Let's hold right again."
>"Oh fuck it happened again! Let's hold right again"
>"WHAT THE FUCK I WASN"T DOING ANYTHING"

>Also, why fucking white knight for that loser?
How the fuck is he white knighting him?
>>
>>4203162
Nuts and Bolts isn't really a Banjo Kazooie game at all, even though it has Banjo and Kazooie in it.
>>
>>4204052
It doesn't matter (pun not intended). As someone who has played SA1 first on Dreamcast as the first Sonic game and thinks it holds the best formula for 3D Sonic, being the best version to play doesn't excuse and hide flaws Sonic Adventure had in the first place, such as unnecessary not fitting different playstyles outside of Tails's, Sonic's and maybe Knuckles's stories, lazy and badly-made cutscenes, horrible camera (even if every 3D game on that time had a horrible camera as well), incompetent nonsense localization translation it has gotten overseas, the overall gameplay engine it uses that can sometimes not cooperate and be glitchy and probably many other issues I'm forgetting to point out.

Whether if you consider SA1 a good game or not, I don't care and never cared at that in the first place. My point is it's wrong to ignore any issue a game has just because the version of it you're referring to is considered the best to experience.
>>
It's became a retro active bullshit let down because the true Sonic game it was meant to hold us over never materialized. The Saturn, Sega's honest to god 32-bit console only had a last second 3D Blast port and Sonic R. Sonic Jam if you want to include that too but the point is 3D Blast was an obvious filler spin-off the way Spinball was years prior. But the next game never happened until Adventure. And at the time, that was a long time to wait.
>>
The big problem with collecting flickies in 3D blast is every damn level was about collecting flickies.
In older sonics, you had open levels you could explore and run fast through, Slow levels full of deathtraps or unique mechanics, and fast paced levels full of flashy jumps. There was a lot of level variety that way, and helped the full game experience.

3D Blast was just Collect flickies, collect flickies and collect flickies. If they had thought of one or two more ways to switch up the levels a little, we would've had a much better game.

>>4205328
The mouth animations in DX are too funny not to share with the rest of the world.
>>
File: flicky-03.png (30KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
flicky-03.png
30KB, 640x480px
>>4206764
The game was also called Flicky's Island, Just like the game Flicky in which the main goal was to collect the birds (that followed in a line behind you) and deposit them into the exit.

It was a Flicky sequel starring Sonic.
>>
>>4203162
/vr/ does this autistic thing where it's "not a real ___ game" if it's not a perfect clone of the first game.

>Zelda 2 is not a real Zelda game!
>Castlevania 2 is not a real Castlevania game!
>Super Mario Bros. 2 is not a real Mario game!
>Doom 3 is not a real Doom game!
etc.
>>
Not gonna make a different thread for this, so can anyone unlighten me on the Sonic & Knuckles thing?

So, if I'm understanding right, there are:

- a Knuckles add-on for Sonic 2
- Sonic 3 & Knuckles (is that base Sonic 3 or are there two versions ?)
- Sonic & Knuckles

so that's like 3 different things? What's the differences?
Also is it possible to emulate the "Knuckles" lock-on add-ons, and how does the technology even work?
>>
>>4205352
He is kinda cute though.
>>
>>4207395
I suppose, if you like neck-pannus.
>>
>>4205352
You realize that's what opinions are, right?
>>
>>4207393
I have no idea how the lock-on technology actually works.

But basically, Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles were originally meant to be one game, but they got split up due to time constraints. They're like episodes; both games are playable as stand-alone game, but if you combine the two, you get a more complete game featuring levels from both games, the option of playing as Sonic, Tails, or Knuckles, and the ability to become Hyper Sonic and Hyper Knuckles.

And yes, it can be emulated. Rom dumps exist for Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and Sonic 2 & Knuckles.
>>
>>4207407
That's an unflattering photo, you know he usually looks better than that.
>>
>>4207412
I can't find a picture where he looks like anything but a cucked, beta-hippie.
>>
>>4201354

Imagine you're a Sega kid in the 90s. Sony kids get Spyro and Crash. Nintendo kids get Mario 64 and Zelda OoT. Sega kids get....Sonic...3D Blast....
>>
>>4207414
That's because women past a certain age (usually around 28 or so) become increasingly attracted to docile, unthreatening, passive "beta provider" men. You need to read /r/TheRedPill sometime, this is basic psychology.
>>
>>4207426
Spyro and Crash are pretty fucking shit, really. They are only well-regarded because they were babby's first platformer. 3D Blast wasn't a bad effort, comparatively.

There was no way my mom was buying me an N64 for Christmas of '96, so 3D Blast was a decent consolation prize, and is pretty impressive, graphically, for the Genesis hardware.
>>
>>4207382
>Super Mario Bros. 2 is not a real Mario game!
But its literally another game re-skinned to look like a Mario game. You gotta admit the argument for that one is sound.

Even though elements from it have been made staples of the series ever since then.
>>
>>4207407
Even that picture is a decade old and looks better than he does now.
>>
>>4207437
>/vr/ talks about women
>>
>>4207437
Yeah bug Ego doesn't have a woman, he has an Alien.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.