[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Since Sonic Mania still isn't out on PC yet, I decided to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

Since Sonic Mania still isn't out on PC yet, I decided to scratch my sanic itch and play Sonic CD.

This game is really fucking mediocre. The levels are so boring and mazelike, the soundtrack is really forgettable, and it's the easiest classic sonic game i've beaten.
Does anyone else think this game kinda sucks?
>>
>>4200081
People worship it because of the prevailing attitude among internet forums up until the mid-to-late 2000s that Sonic CD was some kind of Secret Ultimate Sonic Game because it was on a system no one owned and had all these insane features like the animated opening and ending, redbook audio, time travel, 3D special stages, Metal Sonic, etc. The shite level design and braindead handling of the core gimmick didn't occur to anyone until it became widely available through emulation and the Taxman remake, but people still defend the game to death because of its tertiary features.
>>
Play Before and After the Sequel.
It's the better game.
>>
it's not very good but no sonic game is great anyway
>>
>>4200081
stages range from fairly boring but inoffensive and enjoyable (Palmtree Panic, Quartz Quadrant) to somewhat annoying but overall quite solid (Tidal Tempest, Metallic Madness) to fucking retarded (Stardust Speedway, Wacky Workbench)
some of the bosses are cool (Wacky Workbench's, Quartz Quadrant's, Stardust Speedway's (if more for the concept)), but a lot aren't (Palmtree Panic's boss, fucking Collision Chaos's time waster of a boss, and then the final boss is lame)

looking for the machines in the past is a pain
even if it's the what the stages are designed around, they're not well designed around it
time travelling is too much of a hassle with the game deliberately breaking the flow right before you'd "accidentally" travel in time

It's not an amazing game, but it's not particularly terrible. It's just okay.
The graphics are cool, the JP/EUR soundtrack is brilliant, Sonic controls slightly better than in other versions (barring the spindash) the camera is better. There's a solid bit to like, but big chunks of it do fall flat.
I think the game as a whole is a bit better than Sonic 1, but it's not nearly as good as 2 or 3&K.
US soundtrack is well made, but kind of boring and largely unfitting (Wacky Workbench US is so much better though, and Sonic Boom is a brilliant theme song).

>>4200097
not with those awful, sluggish physics and mediocre stages
>>
File: soniccd.webm (1MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
soniccd.webm
1MB, 800x450px
>>4200081
I don't get the love for CD either, even the OST which I thought was fairly bland and uninteresting (excepting the past themes and a few stages) is lauded and praised through the roof. The level design is absolutely infuriating too
>>
>>4200081
I owned cd from release on mega cd, sound track blew me away as did the game desu.

>>4200127
You just have shit ears and like being an annoying fart sniffing cunt.

>>4200098
>but no sonic game is great anyway
I've always felt this.

>>4200101
>to fucking retarded (Stardust Speedway, Wacky Workbench)
>wah mum why dis game to hard for me?
>>
>>4200134
why are CDfags so obnoxious
>>
>>4200081
This has been like the fifth thread shitting on CD this week what the fuck is going on?
>>
>>4200162
Well in my case it's because I had a sonic itch and sonic cd was the last classic sonic I hadn't played yet.
I was expecting it to be as good as the previous games but it was surprisingly meh
I'm assuming this exact situation is happening to other pc sonic fans that are waiting for sonic mania and that's why there are multiple threads about this
>>
>>4200167
>I was expecting it to be as good as the previous games
so 7/10 at best
>>
>>4200095
THIS
So many youngfags forget there was a time when you just couldn't play SonicdCD anywhere. When they finally released it on PC-CDrom ages ago it was a fucking event because emulation hadn't gotten far enough for SegsCD.

SonicCD was some kind of holy grail that was hard to get ahold of so it got elevated to god-tier. That reputation stuck around with it after all these years despite it actually being a weaker experience than Sonic 2 and certainly not as good as 3.

I remember online discussions in the 90s saying 3&K is what SonicCD should have been (I'm old...)
>>
>>4200134
>wah mum why dis game to hard for me?
is there a reason you're typing like a four year old

stardust speedway isn't hard in the slightest, the layout is just disgusting (it's just a set of randomly arranged tubes with no rhyme or reason)
same with wacky workbench (fuck, it might be one of the easiest, least threatening stages apart from the electricity grid way up high)

>>4200625
>SonicCD was some kind of holy grail that was hard to get ahold of
I remember seeing boxed copies of the game on PC fucking everywhere in the late 90s/early 2000s (especially in the the early 2000s, since it also came in a three pack with S&K Collection and Sonic R).
>>
I don't get how someone can hate Sonic CD but like Sonic 2. They both have very messy level design compared to the other retro Sonic games.
>>
I used to be one of those people that placed this game on a pedestal until i finished 3&K a while back, once I try Mania, I think CD will go down into maybe 3rd or 4th favorite sonic game.
>>
>>4200625
>When they finally released it on PC-CDrom ages ago it was a fucking event because emulation hadn't gotten far enough for SegsCD.

You are kidding, right? The PC release was in 1995 or 96. It used windows libraries so old that they pre-dated DirectX and as a result were a bitch to get work in XP and later. By the turn of the millennium, Sonic CD PC was a bargain bin PC title along with S&K Collection, Garfield, Baku Baku, Comix Zone, etc.
>>
>>4200652
Mania is trash though.
>>
>>4200657
No no. I am totally aware that the PC version played crappy if at all. But leading up to that it was fucking hyped as hell. Both Sonic CD and the Sonic&Knuckles Collection got a lot of hype.

I wasn't long before they were literally giving the discs away though.
>>
>>4200081
>PC
LOL The PC Master Race fags get cucked again.
>>
>>4200167
I find it highly unlikely that everyone suddenly wants to give CD a try while waiting for Mania rather than playing 1-3 which are closer to it gameplay wise.
>>
Holy shit we have this thread every fucking day, I swear to god. Is it just me that's stuck in a time loop here? Is this some meta shit?
>>
>soundtrack is really forgettable
what
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9bN8JBwk_s
>>
>>4200661
I don't wanna dig around for it so just imagine that I posted that picture of the fish and the hook
>>
>>4200081
>>4200084
samefag
>>
>>4201719
That one is memorable but for having that stupid Jap mumbling in it. Bad Future is the one you should have used.
>>
Holy shit we have this thread every fucking day, I swear to god. Is it just me that's stuck in a time loop here? Is this some meta shit?
>>
>>4201719
This is one of the levels I like the US music better for...
>>
>>4201719
Why did they replace the original Japanese soundtrack?
>>
>>4201719
https://youtu.be/FgThnrxI5nc
>>
>>4201719
https://youtu.be/ZYTedTVAdeY

step aside, fellas
>>
>>4200634
>is there a reason you're typing like a four year old
To accommodate your thinking level fellow plebian.
>>
Why did America use those awful long cases for the Mega CD? Also, why was the US soundtrack for Sonic CD so bad?
>>
>>4200098
Too bad you're full of shit, filthy casual.
>>
File: noice.jpg (48KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
noice.jpg
48KB, 1280x720px
Mania is better than any of the retro sonic games
>>
>>4202929
>Why did America use those awful long cases for the Mega CD?
They had those same cases for the Saturn and early PS1 games too. Not sure why. Even PC games had fuck huge boxes at the time too though.

>Also, why was the US soundtrack for Sonic CD so bad?
It isn't. Many of the zone tracks are better composed than the cluttered and horribly distracting original soundtrack.
>>
File: super_jewel_box_king_800.jpg (93KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
super_jewel_box_king_800.jpg
93KB, 800x533px
>>4203524
>Even PC games had fuck huge boxes at the time too though.

PC games all had unique cardboard boxes, which were fucking awesome and usually held little booklets and random game related merchandise - poster, comics, whatever. This was due to old games coming on floppies which you couldn't really pack in any way. They later put CDs in similar elaborate casings, a jewel case with full artwork inside a cardboard case holding manual(s). This was also necessary because even as early as 1994, some games were already 4 cd large.

When they started using DVD cases, that's when PC gaming began to slowly die.

At first they were limited to the 5$ budget games, but then AAA titles came in those too.

Also, note that early DVDs used Super Jewel cases, but they switched to the cheapo plastic cases because they were cheaper.
>>
>>4200081
Play the Steam version and turn on the Japanese soundtrack
>>
>>4200081
Agreed. As a kid I remember I didn't really get wtf I was doing either. Fucking loved that starting FMV tho.
>>
>>4203263
No, it's not. But you can have that opinion.
>>
>>4203545
I remember stocking shelve and it was a pain in the ass. Boxes would be hexagons, weird trapezoids and fucking Eidos had these triangular boxes that people LOVED to flip upside down.
>>
>>4200162
kids who never played these games before
>>
>>4200081
Just get a Genesis emulator, get the Japan bios and get the Japan version of Sonic CD. It's all free to download.
>>
>>4200840
>reviews point out the game have many bugs and glitch
the delay doesn't seem so bad now.
>>
>>4200095
/thread
>>
>>4200162
Sonic Mania.
>>
>>4204819
watch it launch with the same bugs as on console
>>4203920
this (alternatively, beta 920 is the final US version but still with the JP soundtrack)
>>
File: dare to enter my magic realm.png (44KB, 283x267px) Image search: [Google]
dare to enter my magic realm.png
44KB, 283x267px
>>4205068
>watch it launch with the same bugs as on console
>y-you'll see!
>>
File: 1501462341866.png (258KB, 403x594px) Image search: [Google]
1501462341866.png
258KB, 403x594px
>>4200081
>This game is really fucking mediocre.
>Does anyone else think this game kinda sucks?

Why doesn't anyone on 4chan understand what "mediocre" means?
>>
>>4204819
It's always the bugs and glitches with PC ports. GTA V & Batman Arkham Knight had the same problem. I'm lucky I'm a console gamer, and not a PC gamer.
>>
>>4205189
yeah yeah, I heard the same about Sonic Generation and Sonic All stars transformed.
>GTA
as if that crap wasn't filled with glitch already.
>>
People only praise it so hard because they want to feel justified in owning the abomination that was the Sega CD
>>
>>4205205
I think the problem with PC gaming is that there will always be delays, if they want the best quality for their games. It takes time for the developers to iron out the problems. But that's also a good thing, because some games do need to be delayed instead of rushed, so that the bugs and glitches can be iron out. I'm glad I'm in no rush for Shenmue 3, because that game is getting delayed until 2018.
>>
>>4205218
>Implying that the Sega CD is the only way to own this game.
It's available on PSN and Xbox Live Arcade. Sonic CD is great.
>>
>>4205264
Also out on mobile and PC
>>
Freedom Planet and Spark The Electric Jester were the superior Sonic game.
>>
>>4205132
If something is mediocre then it sucks because it's not good. Good is the minimum baseline for something being good if it's not good then it sucks ergo mediocre sucks even though it's not bad but it's still not good and no one wants to waste their time with things that are not good.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.