[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For me, it is System Shock 1. The best System Shock game.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 9

File: maxresdefault.jpg (149KB, 1750x1024px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
149KB, 1750x1024px
For me, it is System Shock 1. The best System Shock game.

http://www.strawpoll.me/13736166
>>
File: hackers gonna hack.jpg (18KB, 330x330px) Image search: [Google]
hackers gonna hack.jpg
18KB, 330x330px
>>4199140
SS1 = Pants
SS2 = Shirt
>>
>>4199140
SS1 = No RPG shit
SS2 = RPG shit

I'll go with the first game.
>>
>>4199140
For me, it is the McChicken
>>
>>4199287
I'D HIT IT, YEAAAHHHH
>>
>>4199140
at least we can agree that the first one has a better cover. it looks cool and cyberpunky, the second one just looks like a generic grimdark space game. you could just as well have slapped "Doom 3" or "Quake 4" on it, and it would still work out.
>>
SS2 wasn't going to be a system shock game, it was just gonna be a worms game. then they slapped shodan in dere.

Also apparently Dead Space was gonna be system shock 3 early in development, and have hacking and rpg elements. The first time you open a door they tell you to hack it, then never again.

System shock 1, tho, for me.
>>
System Shock 2 for me m8, three-way battle between humans, cyborgs and aliens

recently replayed it, twice, and it still kicks ass, the game is PACKED
>>
>>4200316
The Robots and The Many were effectively on the same side though. The bots on board were all controlled by Xerxes, who was controlled by the Many.
>>
Why the hell does shodan even give a shit when you happen across what's her faces body?
It's incredibly obvious to anyone with a brain that she's not trustworthy and will eventually backstab you.
>>
File: 1502116315210.png (259KB, 728x843px) Image search: [Google]
1502116315210.png
259KB, 728x843px
Excited for the remake
>it won't be 1:1
Why?
>>
File: yu.jpg (271KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
yu.jpg
271KB, 1920x1080px
>>4200642
>remake
>>
>>4200642
Because you need to use your brain and actually use your map as a navigation tool

can't have that now, can we
>>
>>4200297
>it looks cool and cyberpunky, the second one just looks like a generic grimdark space game.
This applies to more than just the box art. The tone of the games is incredibly different. But SS2 is still great.
>>
>>4200642
Because if it's 1:1 why not play the original instead?
>>
>I wonder if energy weapons are fun
>no, there useless
>I wonder if heavy weapons are fun
>they're useless other than the grenade launcher
>I wonder if annelid weapons are fun
>they're useless too
>>
>>4200807
What if I want to relive the game with prettier graphics and animations?
>>
>>4200845
I maxed out standard weapons and was really interested in exotic ones but they were actually completely useless. Took forever to find ammo for it and then they did NO damage against the one annelid they would have been useful against (the rumbler). The sword was neat though.
>>
>>4200890
The weapon balance is really atrocious for an RPG with skills you can only upgrade.
I really wonder if they even play tested the game using weapons that weren't the standard skill. I mean, who could have thought that the likes of the Stasis Field Generator was worth putting the game?
>>
>>4200857
You use mods like everyone else you moron
>>
>>4200805
the ship on SS2 looks very much like Star Trek TNG
>>
>>4200937
>mods for SS
i wish. besides the ui is annoying to use
>>
>>4201056
I only ever found it annoying when I tried to play with mouselook. The original is actually quite intuitive, once you take a few minutes to get used to it.
>>
>>4200845
>get the laser rapier in SS2
>hyped because that thing was fucking amazing in the first game
>requires heavy investment in agility and energy weapons to swing a weightless sword
>it's no more powerful than the fucking wrench, it just does maybe a little more damage to robots
RPGs were a mistake
>>
>>4200890
And even the fusion cannon, it's ostensibly the BFG9000 of SS2, but it still pars in comparison to the Grenade Launcher, which due to being a Level 1 heavy weapon, it gets stronger as you level the skill.
>>
>>4200642
I immediately lost all hype for it when they dropped the original color palette for generic brown/grey shooter hallways.
>>
2 stands up to modern scrutiny better by virtue of its better UI and enemies being something other than frustratingly accurate hitscanners, but looking at each as a product of its time, the first one is by far the more impressive, more boundary-pushing game.
>>
>>4200845
My strategy:

> Get energy weapon skill for the laser pistol. Congratulations, you will never run out of ammo for dropping run of the mill enemies again.

> Get standard and heavy for the AR and Grenade Launcher. Congrats, you've got the firepower to take on the biggest and baddest.

> Finally get exotic for the crystal shard and viral proliferator

Now you're fucking untouchable.
>>
>>4200297
>you could just as well have slapped "Doom 3" or "Quake 4" on it, and it would still work out.

Quake 2/4, maybe. But theres nothing "Doom" about SS2's box art, and would look even more out of place, IMO.
>>
>>4199140
I really wish I could play SS1 with SS2 controls. Mouselook mod for SS1 isn't enough for me.
>>
>>4204213
Is the remake of SS1 any good?
>>
>>4204226
Pretty sure its not out yet. And the demo they released a while ago is 100% obsolete as the game isnt even using Unity anymore.
>>
>>4202358
The reason the Grenade Launcher is so overpowered in SS2 is actually a bug. When you upgrade the Grenade Launcher with the french-epstein device instead of it giving a +10% damage bonus like it says it actually gives a +100% damage bonus (doubling the damage). This isn't fixed in any official patch or retail version to my knowledge.

This combined with levelling up Heavy to 6 to even use the Fusion Cannon it makes the Grenade Launcher even more powerful as you said - so the Fusion Cannon just ends up doing way less damage than the Grenade Launcher.

The weapon balance in SS2 is just total dogshit though and the game would have been better off if it was more like System Shock 1 in that regard. System Shock 1's arsenal of weapons is both interesting and effective for the time. System Shock 2's is interesting but everything except Pistol, Shotgun, Assault Rifle (on semi-auto) and the Grenade Launcher are almost useless and more of a chore or self-imposed challenge to use in a playthrough than an actual viable option to use instead of the ones above.

I have played multiple playthroughs of SS2 with self-imposed challenges. Melee only runs with the Wrench, Rapier & Crystal. Energy only runs with the Laser Pistol. Basically Research + Exotic only run where I just use the pistol and shotgun up until I get the Crystal shard and etc. Heavy-only run where I spend all my points to use the Fusion Cannon and end up using the Grenade Launcher instead. I've tried it all. It's all shit and unbalanced except Standard and/or Grenade Launcher.

Worth using:
Wrench -> use it to hit shit early game or smash cameras while jumping from below
Pistol, Shotgun, Assault Rifle -> shoot 'em dead, armor-piercing for robots, anti-personnel for annelids
Grenade Launcher -> make some space and then shoot 'em dead
Psi Amp -> you can do some fun shit with the magic spells

Cont.
>>
>>4204774
Shit/meme/self-imposed challenge tier:
Stasis Field Generator - In theory probably useful for making space for the Grenade Launcher or Fusion Cannon before using either of those, but when you can just backpedal a little instead is the SFG worth the points you spent in the Heavy and Strength skills? Most useful against rumblers for this probably, or you could just load up an assault rifle with anti-personnel rounds and shoot 'em dead.
Fusion Cannon - Weaker than an upgraded Grenade Launcher and much, much more devastating to you as a player than it. Takes a shitload of points spent to use.
Laser Pistol - Anemic piece of shit that takes like 20 shots to kill human or annelid enemies and constantly needing to be refilled and maintained because of how many shots it takes.
Laser Rapier - Poor thing. Nerfed to fuck in SS2 compared to SS1. Is worse than the Wrench against Annelid enemies, but it does 2x damage to robots! Robots that explode in your face and destroy you in close range.
EMP Rifle - Good for mechs and robots. That's about it. Same effect can be achieved using the Grenade Launcher with one of the 10 different damage types available to it. Not worth the Energy Weapons investment at all considering it's literally useless vs annelids (zero damage) and by the time you can use the EMP Rifle you are at the end of the game where you're going to be seeing a lot of rumblers and shit.
Crystal Shard - Good for self-imposed challenge melee-only runs with psi and the melee augments. That's it.
Viral Proliferator - Literally a deathtrap to use. It's a bad grenade launcher. Ammo is limited as shit. Can't damage mechs. Why not just use a Grenade Launcher?
Annelid Launcher - You find this shit at the end of the game, is it worth having 3 Strength, 3 Agility, 6 Research and 6 Exotic Weapons just to shoot a few rumblers with it when you could just load up the assault rifle with anti-personnel rounds and shoot 'em dead. Ammo is also limited as shit.
>>
>>4200308
Dead Space 1 very clearly takes a lot of inspiration from System Shock & System Shock 2. I was also pleasantly surprised by how good the game was (despite the PC ver being a shitty low FOV console port). Dead Space 1 is an infinitely better successor to System Shock than BioShock was. BioShock is so fucking overrated.
>>
>>4199140
once they added the mouse view button I loved the control system
>>
>>4204774
The grenade launcher is pretty powerful even without upgrading it though
>>
>>4204775
>but it does 2x damage to robots! Robots that explode in your face and destroy you in close range.
localized pyrokinesis, my dude
>>
>>4204981
>OSA
>E V E R
>>
>>4204991
have fun not being able to wade through explosions
>>
>>4204996
wow game changer
>>
>>4204997
it is if you're using melee. like what you're specifically complaining about
>>
>>4205005
>OSA is locolize pirokinesis
ok
>>
File: 1340433133397.jpg (103KB, 384x313px) Image search: [Google]
1340433133397.jpg
103KB, 384x313px
>>4205009
then what's the problem?
>>
>>4205010
>read comphrehension
>>
>>4203273
>enemies being something other than frustratingly accurate hitscanners
instead you have a lot of melee enemies who are all pathetic because none of them can move and attack at the same time
>>
The trick to making Laser Pistol workable is to keep multiple copies (three preferrably) set to Overload and swap between them as you shoot them. They're still not the best thing ever, but 15-24 shots fired every second is way better than 5-8 shots fired every three seconds.
And yeah, SS2 needs a complete game balance overhaul.
>>
Does anyone know how much each Standard Weapons skill point increases Pistol damage? Checked the wiki but nothing on the weapon page.

Curious about Pistol at Skill lvl 6 vs. Assault Rifle.
>>
https://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/185706-system-shock-2/faqs/41882 - a guide everyone playing this game more than once should read
>>4205650
They deal the exact same damage.
>>4204774
>>4204775
It's not so much all of those inferior options being bad as the superior options being absurdly overpowered. Once you git gud you'll be able to waltz through the game on Impossible with pretty much anything that isn't an objectively shit build.
>>
>>4205661
>https://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/185706-system-shock-2/faqs/41882 - a guide everyone playing this game more than once should read
>>>4205650 (You)
>They deal the exact same damage.
thanks for that
>>
>SS1
>laser rapier is the shit
>SS2
>laser rapier is a piece of shit
easy pick
>>
File: CyborgAssassin.gif (30KB, 100x100px) Image search: [Google]
CyborgAssassin.gif
30KB, 100x100px
real talk. I found SS1 scarier than 2.
2's enemies never felt like a physical threat, while the cyborgs and robots in 1 will cleave your asshole apart if you're visible to them.
>>
>>4206147
I'm retarded and meant to post this here. Post too old to delete apparently.
Who else here /store everything in the game including all chemicals in a giant autism pile in the first supply room/?
>>
File: 1456706233167.jpg (2MB, 4647x1799px) Image search: [Google]
1456706233167.jpg
2MB, 4647x1799px
I prefer the level design in SS1 more desu. I don't know why, but the levels in SS2 never really felt like an actual space station to me. As opposed to SS1 where every room felt like it served a purpose. Best example I can think of is if you look at the maps in SS1 by themselves it looks like an arbitrary FPS maze, but in game it's very easy to navigate. SS2 looked like a bunch of corridors with a space theme tacked on.
>>
>>4206272
>storing
I abused the recycler to the fullest extent
>>
>>4206379
I don't have recycler yet tho
that's what the pile is for
>>
SS1 had this banging soundtrack so I'm going with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV6EtVTPiZA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOkOCAm-v0U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up80FfzySFA
>>
>>4207684
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOzuO-w1Rv8
>>
>>4206205
It's more of the atmosphere that gets me. The music and voice lines make it creepy at first. I still remember the first time you come face to face with a rumbler. SS seems to scare you with more well-placed booby traps, they're more like surprises really. Kind of like a true dungeon crawler. I didn't like how they brought back the ninja though in 2. It doesn't really fit the tone of the game.
>>
>>4207697
Cyborg assassins are annoying as fuck in 2, though. Quick bastards.

I didn't really find Rumblers scary by them selves. The first time you're introduced to one there is a large amount of space.
Fuck them at the ends of the BotM, though.

On the other hands, I sill found the assorted robot noises from the first game scarier. You could hear them in the next room over, just making noise.
>>
>>4207684
i like how the 3rd one is just nine inch nails

the grove atmosphere tracks were always my favorite though
>>
>>4207958
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9oEl1Ykc5g

I fucking love this shit dude.

System Shock 2's soundtrack is great and all but System Shock 1's is fucking magnificent, even better. Especially considering the hardware limitations of the time.
>>
File: SS1_Jap_boxcover_cleaned.png (3MB, 1399x2048px) Image search: [Google]
SS1_Jap_boxcover_cleaned.png
3MB, 1399x2048px
>>4200297
Japan got the coolest box, you got the station itself and the avatar of SHODAN
>>
>>4209480
that was the manual's cover though
>>
>>4209409
hardware limitations of midi? that's much easier to do than making fm synth sound good.
>>
>>4207695
This is one of the most unnerving pieces of music I have ever heard. Really spoopy.
>>
>sorry bro you need 3 more levels to pull the trigger on this manmade weapon XXDDDD

System Shock 1 is superior in almost every way.
>>
>>4211991
You know that it's possible to prefer one thing without absolutely hating on the other, right?
>>
>>4212089
Sure it is. Don't get me wrong, SS2 is still an absolute treasure but it's my least favorite of LGS classics. I was explaining my biggest gripe, tacked on RPG elements.
>>
>>4199140
I wonder if Gamma grove will ever be found. If Beta Grove had major SHODAN Componants, why not Gamma grove?
>>
>>4200845
You can carry two energy pistols on overcharge and if they are modified with hold about ten shots each and take out most enemies in 2 to 3 shots. You can cycle them quickly back and forth by hitting 5 again and again
>>
>>4212519
But you shouldn't HAVE to do that.
This game is literally unplayable if you don't want to use standard weapons at all.
>>
>>4202282
System shock 1 had a few RPG elements in it, just not as much as 2. . Also, it would have helped a little in SS2 if they had made the toxin eggs a brighter yellow in color so as to differentiate them from the Grub and swarm eggs. That, and have the last level have more non-boss enemies present, like maybe protocols droids and security droids who are now without a doubt under SHODAN's control in a addition to the now-transparent assassin cyborgs. Then there is the question of what happened to XERXES on the Rickenbacker after the permanent destruction of the central nervous system(aka brain) of the many... Did he delete himself? Go into hibernate mode shortly after receiving data that confirmed the entity he was reprogrammed to serve has been slain? Or did he get turned into just another part of SHODAN during the events of the level "Where am I?"? The latter is quite likely, provided that SHODAN's messing with reality on the Von Braun and around it managed to reach the UNN Rickenbacker before the player character got to SHODAN's central core and killed her off in the by now heavily altered Command deck of the Von Braun.
>>
>>4202392
For me, it will take more than a big change in the general color palette to consider it a disappointment
>>
File: 1203545545687.jpg (57KB, 1024x506px) Image search: [Google]
1203545545687.jpg
57KB, 1024x506px
>>4199140
For me its system shock 2 because I've beaten it. SS1 I picked up a couple moths ago but haven't had time to play it much, seems like its good though
>>4200845
>At beginning
>Mind powers are for fags
>Hacking and sneaking around is retarded
>I want brute force
>Go marines
>Put points into Melee and Standard
>Go on murder spree with big fucking wrench
>Save points for final battle
>Max out Energy weapons
>Shodan is a push over with EMP rifle
>>
>>4207684
if you like this you may like some of the marathon soundtrack
>>
>>4214019
I used to play Marathon on my XP via Aleph one. Anywho, I wonder who made the decision to cancel the Dreamcast version of System Shock 2?
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.