[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Sega Dreamcast is released with this controllet plus second

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_1340.jpg (2MB, 2160x2500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1340.jpg
2MB, 2160x2500px
The Sega Dreamcast is released with this controllet plus second analog and shoulder buttons in March 2000 worldwide priced competitively at $249 against the $299 PS2. How does it fare?
>>
>>4199071
Not very well because the controller looks like crap & no DVD player.
>>
>>4199071
Even when ps2 launched it still didn't have second analog features in many games. When halo came out, it was already too late for the dreamcast
>>
if it came out later with the same specs it'd be nogames and sink even harder
>>
>>4199071
It would have fared the same. Normal gamers never jumped on the Saturn so they had no reason to jump on the Dreamcast. Dont get me wrong, the DC is one of my fave systems ever, but only hardcore gamers cared to support it.
>>
>>4199074
the fug wanted a stupin dvd player back in day compared to a modem=internet?WHO
>>
>>4199168

literally everyone, that's why the PS2 btfo of the Dreamcast

if you wanted to use the internet you got a PC. I had a Dreamcast since launch and its internet browser fucking sucked. Online games were fun though.
>>
>>4199168
lol how new are you? Everyone wanted a DVD player back then and for many the PS2 was their first. You got a next gen console with a DVD player for the price of most DVD players at the time. It was a no brainier, see sales figures.
>>
>>4199168
I love the Dreamcast as much as the next guy, but everybody wanted a PS2 because of the DVD compatibility. Also back then I was using the internet at a library in a computer lab. Using it on the Dreamcast just wouldn't feel right without a mouse & keyboard. Not that I had money for either at the time because I was only a teenager.
>>
>>4199194
>Using it on the Dreamcast just wouldn't feel right without a mouse & keyboard
cough
>>
>>4199071
Dead on arrival.

Sega's only chance was a much earlier release to build up a solid base, Microsoft used this same strategy with the Xbox 360.
>>
>>4199071
it would literally have made no difference
>>
>everyone wanted a dvd
>in 1998

No. 2 years later? Sure, some wanted, not everyone. Ps2 was still expensive and back then consoles were looked as toys, not some media device. That changed over time though

>>4199194
Don't remember having problems using the controller for the internet. But i had the keyboard since Sega gave one for free + the isp disc. Mouse came with some game, like that game that came with the microphone
>>
>>4199254
Dvd's got really trendy around 2000s and the Ps2 was the choise for most parents because they got their dvd and kids got their games.
>>
>>4199172
>>4199183
>>4199194

But everyone had a DVD player to go with their ps2. Nobody had just the ps2.
>>
>>4199756
Nah. I know people plenty of people who bought it because dvd was a big feature back then. inb4>Anecdotes
yeah yeah.
>>
>>4199756
Dude my family used a ps2 as their dvd player all the way up til they got a ps3 for blu rays.
>>
>>4199254
>>4199756
You're an idiot. The PS2 was a lot of people's first DVD player because not only was it comparably-priced to standalone units, it played games as well.
>>
>>4199254
I'm aware of the keyboard & mouse existing for Dreamcast, but like I said before, I didn't have the money for it.

>>4199756
It wouldn't make much sense to own a DVD player & a PS2. That's like owning a Blu-Ray Player and a PS3. Doesn't make any sense, since PS3 can play Blu Ray on it's own, the PS2 can play DVD's on it's own.
>>
>>4199168
"DVD player" was one of the main selling points of the PS2

kinda like how PS3 having a blu-ray player was a selling point

DVD/blu-ray players were expensive at those respective times, or you could just buy the console and get that much more functionality for the same price
>>
>>4199071
The problem wasn't the dreamcast itself, the controllers, the games or the sales. It was sega of japan fucking with sega of america at every turn.
The PS2 didn't kill the dreamcast. SoJ did.
>>
>>4199168
Modern internet at that time was about 100KBps ADSL, faggot. Good luck getting a full movie with that shit.
>>
>>4199071
>it's another "w-what if the DC was the only console ever existed? S-she could win r-right?"
Stop this
>6th gen weakest hardware
>shitty controller
She can never wins
>>
>>4199071
Failure as this is a shit controller (no second thumbstick) and finally the dreamcast did not have a DVD player in it.

The PS2 became popular because it was a cheap DVD player in the time when VHS was still dominant and rationalized buying the system.

The point of the PS2 and why it sold so well was that it not only was a game console but a DVD player so instead of buying just a DVD player you get the PS2 which plays games as well and has backwards support for PS1 games (unlike the dreamcast).
>>
>>4200143
Please, elaborate
>>
>>4200217
Sega of Japan would routinely fuck with SoA whenever they were doing better in terms of sales, entirely out of spite. This, along an array of fuckery and failed consoles/addons ultimately killed their hardware division. The PS2 was merely the final nail in the coffin.
https://web.archive.org/web/20170620002403/http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/dreamcast-a-forensic-retrospective-article
Here's an interview with former CEO of Sega of America for context on the fuckery sega of japan did on the american branch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73abjrBD3NU
>>
>>4199071
Still not well because Sega just couldn't recover at this point. Dreamcast was actually selling pretty well but at that point the loses were just too much for Sega so they had to pull out anyways. They needed for Saturn to be successful, possibly not release the 32x and then Dreamcast would have had a much better chance. Saturn being successful in the US would have been key. They may still even be making consoles today in fact if those two didn't blunder.
>>
>>4199756
>But everyone had a DVD player to go with their ps2.

No they didn't, the standard at the time was VHS. Rich people had Laserdiscs. DVD started becoming mainstream only around that time when the PS2 came out. Most households would get a PS2 because it played PS1 games AND play DVDs.
>>
>>4199168
>the fug wanted a stupin dvd player back in day compared to a modem=internet?WHO

Everyone, since DVDs were home cinema magic gear while using a modem was cumbersome as fuck and relied on online content.

Have you ever even used modem internet? It had
- extremely slow page load times
- ear screeching noise when connecting
- connecting took a while as well
- there wasn't THAT much content, no social media like today either
- many ISPs would charge you per minute unless you use it at a certain time (at night).
>>
>>4199071
>controller has trivial differences
>released later with same specs
>MORE expensive
>>
>>4199773
Dreamcast was 98, PS2 2000.
In 98 any ordinary salaryman wouldn't care about a fucking dvdplayer it was like it didn't existed, it was for the rich or upper middle class. Any salaryman used VCR that were cheaper(or you already owned one for almost over a decade), could tape any movie on tv and had bunch of vhs available be series or movies much cheaper.
In 2000 some did wanted the fucking dvdplayer, but it was still expensive for many and the selection of dvd was SHORT. Only after the first years "everyone" starting buying a PS2 due to the dvd getting into the trend, same as the Xbox that had a dvd player but you were forced to buy their remote to even work.

Hell, this reminds how some think the internet back in the late 90s was already a big thing and everyone had that when that's a lie.
>>
>>4199071
>priced competitively at $249

The Dreamcast launched in the USA at $199, they couldn't even get rid of the system at $50 when directly against the PS2. You cannot make Sega fail any harder than it already had. Underage, get out.
>>
>>4201693
$50 Dreamcasts were not a thing until after they stopped producing Dreamcasts.
>>
>>4201709
Point still stands, OP is an underage faggot.

Sega lowered the price of the Dreamcast to half of a PS2 before the PS2 launch at $150. Sony was running with a supply shortage at launch due to manufacturing issues, and Sega still cannot sell to people who had the money for a new console without one. Scalpers were making bank on launch PS2s at over $1000 each for $300 on eBay at that time.
>>
>>4201770

Huh? Around the release of the PS2 in the west, the decision about Sega leaving the market was already decided. Rumors were around too, but only told that to everyone like early january of 2001.
For some reason some games were getting delayed and others didn't have all the functions they were supposed to have like Power Stone 2 with online
>>
>>4201789
Reread the OP
>>
>>4201403
The Internet WAS a big thing in the late 90s if you weren't underage/poor. Believe it or not, we did shit online before the iPhone was released, summer.
>>
File: 24585398583395.png (121KB, 756x888px) Image search: [Google]
24585398583395.png
121KB, 756x888px
Why the fuck are indie developers like Falco Girgis so pretentious? Read his ramble about making the greatest menu system the RPG genre has ever seen and then look at a screenshot from his dogshit non existent kickstarter scam game.
>>
>>4199756
Spoken like someone who was too young to remember.
the PS2 was very much the go-to entry-level DVD player in a time when a stand alone player was almost as much as a PS2 itself.
>>
>>4202320
What gets me if this is all a meaningless "achievement". Does it run on 16bit hardware? If not why should anyone give a shit?
>>
>>4201403
>Hell, this reminds how some think the internet back in the late 90s was already a big thing and everyone had that when that's a lie.
Everyone I knew had it. I had AOL from 96 and we were NOT upper middle class.

The PS2 being a DVD player was the single biggest selling point other than the name. I worked at a EB at the time and customers were not willing to trust Sega and the Playstation name was a big deal. They were happy to wait a year to get a new Playstation system and hot-damn it plays DVD too!?!

Dreamcast had no chance

Maybe you were just out of the loop.
>>
Didnt this happen in 1999
>>
>>4202345
9-9-99 the DC was released. by March 2001 the thing was dead.
>>
>>4202320
I don't think all indie devs are like that, but shitheads like Falco stand out a lot more. He deserves a lot of blame for leeching all the good faith there was in the Dreamcast homebrew scene.

He managed to keep things together for less than a year after the Kickstarter before the rest of the ES team snapped and told him to go fuck himself. Meanwhile the game is all but dead and Falco has spent the past two years working full time on his massively underwhelming and buggy VMU emulator and is planning to spend the next five on a FPGA implementation that no-one wants.

>we're working on this game and we need money to complete it faster
>here are the screenshots and animation cycles that have taken us ten years but still look like crap
>this is literally everything we have
>here is the stretch reward we have planned if/when the campaign hits $1M
>don't forget to follow us on social media

Literally what a complete clusterfuck of a project and person.
>>
>>4199756
The first DVD player in my house was our PC. DVDs were still new as fuck when the PS2 came out and it was a huge selling point.
>>
>>4200152
>shitty controller

Why do so many think thins? It's only fault is the lack of a second analogue stick. I think the DC controller is better than the gamecube's with it's awful c-stick. I would rather have no second stick than a half ass one. At least then developers are forced to make a decent camera instead of forcing the player to baby sit it. The only real loss is in FPS games, but I honestly prefer when console fps games controlled differently from PC fps games. Games like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark felt different from games like Half Life. Now the are the same with the only different being consoles having more aim assist.
>>
>>4202758
The Dreamcast does not sound like it is for your FPS tastes then. I thought a mouse & keyboard worked well with the genre in those days.
>>
File: 118.jpg (141KB, 550x465px)
118.jpg
141KB, 550x465px
>>4199168
are you stupid dude

in the year 2000, most homes had shitty internet. webpages looked like pic related. a full third of people were still using dialup. youtube wouldn't exist for another couple of years. it would be three years until fucking myspace would come out.

>>4199756
my parents got a ps2 specifically because we could also play movies on it. they'd ask me to stop playing games on it so they could watch movies. after a couple of years, I bought myself a new ps2 and left the old one in the living room so my parents could use it to watch movies. it was a big deal at the time.
>>
>>4202871
I hate you and your retarded notes. Fuck off.
And no that wasn't your default. That's shit you bought from ebay or a storage unit auction.
Abort yourself.
>>
>>4199168
>>4199756
Have we identified the biggest moron on the internet? This is quite exciting.
>>
>>4202948
Yes, this nig is trying to rewrite history for some reason. I wonder what he thinks was the PS2's selling point.
>>
dreamcast was massive until ps2 was announced. People just had ridiculous expectations and everyone thought the ps2 would make dreamcast look like atari. Especially nerds were obsessed with graphics at the time and there were all sorts of false things about the dreamcast and ps2 with many people thinking it was more powerful than gamecube.
>>
File: Just_piling_on_now.jpg (588KB, 2592x1944px)
Just_piling_on_now.jpg
588KB, 2592x1944px
>>4202904
Just saying, some FPS games on Dreamcast like Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 were played with mouse & keyboard.

I got those two games for the Dreamcast from local stores, because at that time, Halo was the thing, so the old Dreamcast FPS games were worthless and cheap. The keyboard was a gift from my friends because they were putting up with my messages input from the Dreamcast D-pad. I don't remember the circumstances of getting the mouse though, so it may have been eBay or some other online store.

However, I will admit I didn't play UT nor Q3 on the Dreamcast because I primarily played them on PC, which was mouse & keyboard controls. I didn't get used to dual analog FPS aiming until I spent a night playing Gears of War co-op. I think it was trying to figure out if I preferred the modern "standard" or inverse for camera controls, because Zelda 64 and a lot of flight games got me used to pulling pack to go "up". It took a bit but I can use the dual analogs decently for FPS, but I still prefer mouse & keyboard because it was what I was used to first from PC.
>>
>>4202871
>>4203098

I love you and your notes, never leave, you make this board a better place

also join the /vr/ discord https://discord.gg/u4c8jN
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.