[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Retro JRPGs with large playable rosters? Preferably not tactical.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: nhtgt.jpg (82KB, 705x720px) Image search: [Google]
nhtgt.jpg
82KB, 705x720px
Retro JRPGs with large playable rosters? Preferably not tactical.

I already know of Suikoden, Pokemon, and Chrono Cross.
>>
>>4198437
Romancing SaGa and SaGa Frontier
>>
>>4198464
Are the Romancing SaGa games any good?
>>
>>4198481
I think so, check out the video if you want
https://youtu.be/f8KMcHFvNkc
>>
>>4198437
Final Fantasy 6
>>
Destiny Of An Emperor
>>
Bahamut Lagoon has about 30. They're all arranged in parties of 4 so you pretty much have 6 parties on the field and their dragons. They're all chattable to inbetween battles though and a few are hidden.
>>
>>4198437
Valkyrie Profile has a couple dozen playable characters.

>>4198481
Romancing Saga 1 has a proper translation but its surpassed by its PS2 port which is nothing but an improvement.

Romancing Saga 2 has an official localization but its iOS/Android only.

Romancing Saga 3 has a pretty bad (though complete) fan translation but it's being redone by the people who worked on RS1's translation.

They're all great games, they're just missing some polish either gameplay-wise (RS1) or translation-wise (RS3).
>>
>>4199012
Valkyrie Profile any good?
>>
>>4199302
Fuck yea it is.
>>
>>4199302
It's very good. My only complaint about VP is that there are multiple endings, and in order to get the best ending you have to plan out your entire run and do things perfect in decision making. Make one mistake and you can screw your run up entirely.
>>
>>4199302
I loved the game but it's not for everyone. On one hand, you have this high concept, fantastical battle going on but you're very much a background character for most of it. The bulk of the game has to do with the stories behind your different party members and clearing dungeons that have some enjoyable puzzles and platformer elements. It comes close to being a light dungeon crawler in that regard.

Like >>4199658 said though, the method to getting the true ending is close to impossible to figure out on your own so you should use a guide for that.

If you do decide to play it, play on hard mode, you need to do it to get the true ending and it's ironically easier than normal and easy. You also get characters and content that aren't in the other modes.
>>
>>4199768
What makes it easier?
>>
>>4199851
Some things could be off since it's a while since I last played the game but:

The extra dungeons you get in hard mode have better gear.

There's a couple items that increase your stats when you level up, one in particular increases your HP by 300 and you can get two of them. All characters in hard mode join your party at level one whereas in normal and easy mode, characters have fixed levels that they join at. So if you equip a new character with that item and powerlevel them then they can get an extra 12000 HP at level 20 that they wouldn't have gotten if they joined at level 20 instead.

With the last point in mind, playable characters and enemies have the same stats across all three difficulty modes so by going hard mode you can make the game much easier. Easy mode has less dungeons and you miss out on so much stuff that it's arguably the hardest of the three modes.

The only real "difficulty bump" in hard mode are the more puzzle-based dungeons.
>>
>>4198485
he doesn't understand the mechanics of the romancing saga storylines enough to be talking about them.
>>
>>4199869
Indeed. I'm a fan of his and thought the video seemed half-assed. RS2 has an English release that he didn't even mention and it felt like he just played through 1 and 3 in a weekend before making the video.
>>
>>4198437
Dragon Quest Monsters/DQV
>>
>>4199012
Holy shit, Valkyrie Profile is expensive. Is it on PSN or anything? I'm not dropping over $100 on one game.
>>
>>4200517
I think the PSP port might be on PSN. The PSP port is a straight English translation of the original Japanese release. The English release had some quality of life improvements that made managing the tons of different characters' equipment but it's not that you'll really miss if you never played the PSX release. I didn't know about the changes but there were one or two instances where I thought "Hey, if [X] this would be so much easier.", and [X] was exactly what the English PSX version had.

Emulating the PSX version can be a pain since it's prone to freezing during the voiced sections of the game. Something about the game relying on the CPU's clock to know when to play the next recording, so if it isn't 100% accurate the game will just hang.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.