[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's discuss the retro ports/remakes on this thing. I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: Game Boy Advance.png (321KB, 859x514px) Image search: [Google]
Game Boy Advance.png
321KB, 859x514px
Let's discuss the retro ports/remakes on this thing. I'm talking about the Classic NES series, Mario Advance series, A Link To The Past, Kirby: Nightmare In Dreamland, the classic Final Fantasy games, Donkey Kong Country, etc. I am interested in comparing and contrasting the remakes and ports with the original versions.

This is NOT a veiled GBA thread. Please do not post about non-retro GBA games. Take that shit to /v/
>>
File: Classic NES Series.jpg (35KB, 450x303px) Image search: [Google]
Classic NES Series.jpg
35KB, 450x303px
Are these any good? Are there any major differences between these and the NES versions?
Also, does Super Mario Bros have the awful screen crunch issue that Super Mario Deluxe had, or has that been fixed?
>>
Most GBA ports have awesome cool extras but the cropped screen, inferior graphics and inferior sound means we'll never have a definitive version of many of the games you listed.

ALTTP has a new translation which I don't like though it "fits" better now with OOT now. The annoying young link sounds are horrible but the extra stuff is sweet..

Mario Advance series features cropped screens but in some cases like in SMB3 and SMW2 extra levels. Unique Luigi and whatnot, they're basically good versions of All-Stars but the original still have better control.

DKC trilogy added cool stuff though it didn't even add the extra stuff of the GBC DKC port, the graphics look like ass and it's even more difficult on the GBA.

Nightmare in Dreamland IMO lost something, I prefer the NES version.

Classic NES? They seemed like faithful ports but maybe they're cropped? are they emulated?

FF games had better translation but cropped screens.

Final Fight One: Did not end up being the definitive FF game, also Two and Three never came out, thanks for teasing us with the title Capcom.
>>
>>4197584
Super Street Fighter II Turbo Revival: Games had a glitch and instead of recalling them Crapcom discontinued the game. Game played decent counting it was missing two buttons, the new artwork was cool but I didn't like the new stages some of the characters got, but best SF port up to that point.

Aero the Acro-Bat: Decent port and you could save your game making it a bit better even with the shrunken screen and bad sound, though you had cutscenes to "Make up" for this. the sequel and spin-off ports were sadly cancelled.

Contra Advance: A mix of SNES and Genesis Contra levels, kind of short but as long as you don't expect a perfect port of SNES's The Alien War and just fun Contra levels from two different games on a portable then you'll enjoy it.

Namco Museum: You can choose to play pixel perfect which has the games like Pac-Man scroll (which is kind of neat actually, more challenging not knowing where the ghosts are) or "complete" version with smaller sprites, pretty cool, actually.

Pac-Man Collection: Decent ports of most Pac-Man games

Doom/Doom2 - Pretty awesome ports for GBA, though obviously inferior.

Mickey Magical Quest Trilogy: All decent ports, I personally love these games. Only the first game has extra stuff which makes it better than the original the others are basically just ports.
>>
>>4197576
they feel fucking awful for some reason, unresponsive. I don't think it's input lag, but rather it feels like it's related to how they re-worked some of the graphics to fit the gba's screen. This is of course worse on games with fast scrolling like mario
>>
>>4197576
SMB got a remake called All-Stars
Donkey Kong got a remake called DK94.
Zelda got Zelda classic.
The others I don't know but there's almost never a reason to play a port. GBA has less resolution than a NES no?
>>
>>4197576
They're pretty good for on-the-go NES action, in my opinion, but like other anons have said, you should play the console versions if you're at home.
>>
>>4197570
Link to the Past is a perfect port

FF1+2 is neat, lots of additional content
>>
>>4197750
>gba soundchip
>perfect port
>>
>>4197576
The sprites are fucked up on SMB.
>>
>>4197874
How so?
>>
>>4197797
you can run nes emulator with gba or ds flashcarts.
>>
>>4197584
>Final Fight One: Did not end up being the definitive FF game, also Two and Three never came out, thanks for teasing us with the title Capcom.

False.
>>
File: 57556_front.jpg (131KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
57556_front.jpg
131KB, 640x640px
reminder that this will never exist
>>
>>4197570
hey atleast it had the best double dragon game
>>
File: Strider.png (7KB, 509x232px)
Strider.png
7KB, 509x232px
>>4197584
>Classic NES? They seemed like faithful ports but maybe they're cropped? are they emulated?

I'm not sure about the Classic NES series, but Capcom Classics Mini-Mix games are squeezed.
>>
Metroid Zero Mission is pretty fucking legit, but it's a full blown REMAKE of the first game. Gameplay is updated and feels great, and the map is mostly faithful (with a few additions and changes to accomodate the updated gameplay mechanics.)

Plus, the bonus content is actually fun. The stealth section turns each screen into its own self contained puzzle, and later turns into a frantic run across multiple screens while being chased.
>>
>>4198089
>you can run a nes emulator on a system with a lower resolution than the nes
You can run a SNES emulator on 3ds too. Neither of them are perfect. Do you even know what you're talking about?
>>
>>4198458
Sadly one of several MM games that never came out.
>>
Breath of Fire was one of the first RPGs that was available for the GBA. I enjoyed that one a lot, though it did have some slowdown during battles. I never had the original so I can't really compare, but I do think the game is kinda weird in the sense that you can basically just skip all the fights with Mrbl3. I didn't like the fights that much as a kid, so I just fought the bosses and used Mrbl3 for the rest of the stuff. You get OP very quickly by using the Fusions and Dragon Forms. Still, it had a great overworld and I loved exploring everything. Great music as well.

I enjoyed ALTTP a lot too. It's a shame you could only play Four Swords with two or more players. The extra dungeon was a nice touch, but I think a lot of people were never able to play it because they didn't have someone to play FS with (you had to finish FS to access the dungeon).

Other than that I have FF4 and FF6. They are not bad ports. The extra content was nice too. The music sounds bad though. Zelda 2 was another good one. IIRC the NES classics were a bit cheaper, but you were still paying a hefty price for a NES game. I enjoyed the Gameboy games a lot more than Zelda 2.

I wanted to get Tales of Phantasia too, but I heard it's an absolutely terrible port. I ended up getting a translation patch for the Super Famicom version. It's a shame, cause it's really a wonderful game.
>>
File: 1472871398533.jpg (76KB, 500x500px)
1472871398533.jpg
76KB, 500x500px
>>4197570
This bad boy was something else
>butchered sound and music
>awful framerate
>ruined physics
>>
>>4201838
Really, the dumbest part about this is that if they would have taken the time to properly alter the Sonic Advance engine instead of just cramming Sonic 1 into it and hoping it would work, we could have got a fine port of the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFwxF-7vSrQ
The sound effects and music, though, I haven't got a single clue how they got so fucked up in Genesis.
>>4197576
If you're playing on actual GBA hardware you probably won't notice most of the tricks they used to get around the difference in aspect ratios. Every one of them is highly crunched, and in a lot of cases the colors are off to compensate for the original GBA's screen, but they do feel accurate to the originals. You'll probably only feel a difference if you have an incredibly intimate familiarity with the original game, or if you're playing one of the GBA ports on a platform that isn't the GBA/SP/Micro.
>>
>>4197570
WOO HOO JUST WHAT I NEEDED
>>
>>4203372
GOTCHA
BING BING YAHOO
I GOT IT
OOF
YIPPIE
>>
>>4201838
GBA was based on SNES hardware, so obviously it's not gonna run Sonic 1 well because GBA doesn't have BLAST PROCESSING!!!
>>
>>4197570
Rayman Advance is subjective, because this was my first Rayman game, and I loved it.
>>
>>4201838
n-gage port was better
>>
>>4197584
Is there a romhack of the GBA ALTTP port that removes the young Link sounds?
>>
>>4197584
>Classic NES? They seemed like faithful ports but maybe they're cropped? are they emulated?

I think they use a public domain emulator called PocketNES.

If you press L+R it will bring up a menu where you can reset the memory/scores and enable linked play.
>>
>>4204594
It was just a shitty rushjob, m8
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.