[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been trying to get into the PS1, since I didn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

I've been trying to get into the PS1, since I didn't grow up with it. The games are good, but what the fuck is this texture warping? Look, those lines on the road are supposed to be straight. I'm no graphicsfag, but this shit is legitimately distracting.

What did people think about this warping back in the day? Surely even in the early days of 3D gaming, nobody was looking at this and saying "yeah, that looks right".
>>
I always thought 3D graphics were better than 2D so I never really complained at the ugly graphics, at the time I thought we'd never have the graphics we find in recent games nowadays.
>>
I never really minded it very much. I even liked playing with it by moving the character/camera in and out to see how it would distort. It's not a remotely big issue, but I think I've grown to mostly like how the Saturn renders 3D. The lighting, cool sprite effects, quads, infinite planes all make for some really cool visuals that really impress me.
>>
People didn't really notice, or give a damn. Everyone was still amazed at "OOOH, 3D!", the little details really didn't matter much.
>>
No one noticed, what was noticed is that the games looked sharper than the blurry mess of the n64 and the models looked like they had a higher poly count
>>
>>4195003
>No one noticed
>what was noticed is that the games looked sharper than the blurry mess of the n64
This is the kind of faggot statement that invalidates your entire opinion. If nobody saw the autistic wobbling polygons of PS1 games, nobody gave a single fuck about the smooth textures of N64 games. Also, the PS1 did not have a higher fucking poly count you literal retard, nor did it "look like" it did, the N64 is 3x more powerful than the PS1 and pushes a shit ton more polygons. N64 games have held up far better than PS1 games, most PS1 games like a jagged, rough, pixelated mess.

Only in the 5th gen is anti-aliasing considered a bad thing, unbelievable.
>>
>>4194936
Not really noticeable at 240p on a 15" tv
>>
>>4195053
Nintendrone plz leave
>>
>>4194936
Affine texture mapping: not even once. We didn't think it looked right back in the day, that's why the N64's perspective-correct filtered texture mapping was such a big deal in 1996. It had a solidity to its 3D that was severely lacking on the PlayStation or Saturn. Too bad Nintendo kneecapped the thing with a 4KB texture cache.
>>
File: 1501536287504.png (235KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1501536287504.png
235KB, 720x1280px
>>4195084
>Nintendrone plz leave
Oh look, no argument, big surprise. I'm not a "Nintendrone", I own both an N64 and a PS1 and I love both, but shitting on the N64 for being able to actually render 3D scenes while simultaneously praising the PS1 for looking like shit is the absolute peak of autism.
>>
>>4195084
He mentioned the N64 because you mentioned it first, Sony Cockroach.
>>
>>4195105
Don't even bother with him, sonyfriends have the mental capacity of a salted cashew and are thus unable to remove themselves from the concept that people can have factual opinions and aren't always motivated solely by emotion and nostalgia.
>>
>>4195097
I love n64 as the next guy but who really cares about a little distortion. It's still 3d. You have very strict standards for what is 3d
>>
>>4195332
>It's still 3d
No, actually it isn't.
>>
>>4195339
If the there's a z-axis, it's 3D. It doesn't matter if z-sorting is handled in software or if there's a dedicated z-buffer, you fucking autist. Or are you going to try to tell me that something like Quake wasn't 3D?
>>
>>4195105
Not even me. I just dont like sperglords spergin and taking bait.
>>
File: fec.jpg (10KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
fec.jpg
10KB, 300x200px
>>4195345
>comparing a PC game to a console without z-buffer and perspective correction
>calling anyone else an autist
>>
File: 1502927556619.jpg (221KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1502927556619.jpg
221KB, 640x360px
>>4195345
Every video game is 2d, autist.
>>
OP, if you're going to play PS1 in particular, don't use ePSXe or shit like it.
>>
>>4195097
>REAL 3d
lmao. I still don't understand the need to compare consoles from different gens. real 3d or not, I'm fond of the ps1 aethetics, and strongly dislike the interpolated textures on later gen consoles.
>>
>>4195082
why the fuck are you playing on a 15 inch tv? to put it in words you might get that sounds reall uncomfy
>>
>>4196207
Most people did back in the day. A lot of people here have small af pvms too
>>
>>4196226
>most people
aside from a batman themed tv we got when LCD was about to take over my family never owned a CRT smaller than 21" and I can't recall anyone I know ever having one either. I'm not even well off and my family had a 36" zenith tv when I was growing up. you're seriously missing out if you're playing on such a small set, pvm or not.
>>
>>4196231
Size doesnt mattet the warping wasn't really noticeable till people started using emulators yeaes later and upscaling from 240p
>>
>>4196262
>the warping wasn't really noticeable till people started using emulators yeaes later and upscaling from 240p
This is a flat out lie or you just weren't there. The warping is extremely obvious even on a 14 inch CRT over composite. Everybody knew it, everybody said it back then. Even the N64 being blurry got the occasional comment back then, though people thought blurriness was 'correct' because early 3D accelerators like Voodoo were also blurry.
>>
>>4194936

I just went with the N64 and never had this problem. PS1 graphics always made me nauseous.
>>
>>4194986
>>4195003

Everyone I know noticed and hated it. Also, everyone knew the N64 graphics were way better and not the "blurry mess" sony fags talk about. People went with the ps1 because it waas cheaper and had piracy.
>>
>>4196262
what gives you this idea? it's just as noticeable on real hardware as it is in emulators. fact of the matter is that the warping is there and it's fucking atrocious, you can't deny that.
>>
>>4196279
>Everybody knew it, everybody said it back
Prove it.
>>
>>4195480

not if you play on a crt pvm dumbass gook, only dell flatscreen monitor is 2 dimensional
>>
I noticed it since back when I was kid. Thought it was because 3d games was still a new thing
>>
>>4196262
Stop lying. I never used PS1 emulator in my life, the warping was always there in the original hardware.
>>
>>4196291
You may not have noticed the blurry mess, but everyone I knew noticed and HATED it. Fuck bilinear, glad the quake port let you disable it on n64
>>
>>4196262
Had Ps1, saw warping, get glasses
>>
>>4195372
>it renders 3d models and landscapes
>quake had a ps1 port
last I checked the ps1 port wasnt a fucking sidescroller, anon. An image does not a foolproof arguement make.
Going by your image virtua fighter on saturn isnt rendering enough in 3d to make it count as 3d becausd muh affine and muh floating point

Even PC quake used low precision floating point, but by your logic, again, its both not wortb mentioning, nor is it 3d
>>
>>4194936
Speaking as someone who only owned a N64, I always found the texture warping extremely charming
>>
File: tumblr_nx3i2qHXLv1qd4q8ao1_500.gif (344KB, 500x451px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nx3i2qHXLv1qd4q8ao1_500.gif
344KB, 500x451px
I wonder how certain iconic PS1 games would look ported to N64 and vice versa.
>>
>>4196262
Nope. The warping was heavy even on real hardware. Some textures in Tomb Raider looked like they got their own life.
>>
>>4197082
At least you can read it says "POLICE" there. The quality has dropped so fucking much since then that there is text just like that in for example half life 2 and you cant make out what its saying.
>>
>>4197082
crappy ports are usually never good comparisons.
its better to build from the ground up.
>>
>>4197082

Bad sound quality and lower resolution textures blurred to hell
>>
>>4197497
Great job, now tell us what iconic N64 games would look like on PSX.
>>
>>4197518

I have no clue, the games artstyles were developed around different limitations. There would be a lot more voice acting and music though
>>
>>4197441
you aren't supposed to use your DOS machine to play modern games
>>
As a kid N64 games just looked better, back then PS1 games just looked more polygonal, full of jaggies and hated how faces and textures looked pixelated.

You can call the N64 a blurry mess now but in TVs at the time it didn't matter and made games look much better than PS1 games.

The only thing my 8 year old ass got jelly about PS1 games was FMV and Voice Acting since N64 couldn't really do either. Hell that was a huge selling point for PS games.
>>
>>4196971
>Fuck bilinear, glad the quake port let you disable it on n64
It does not let you do this. The port lets you turn off the dither filter among other post processes. Once again, Sony cockroaches don't know what they are talking about.
>>
>>4194936
>What did people think about this warping back in the day?
I thought it was some kind of idle animation. I was a dumb kid.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.