[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Two questions: 1) Given that there are systems where Component/RGB

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: kv30hs420[1].jpg (23KB, 500x416px) Image search: [Google]
kv30hs420[1].jpg
23KB, 500x416px
Two questions:

1) Given that there are systems where Component/RGB output was possible, but not available through stock cables and/or systems, and given that games on these systems sometimes use visual effects that do not properly display in higher-quality output than RF or Composite, how can one say that they are playing such a game/system 'correctly' when not playing on RF or Composite? Doesn't that indicate a divergence from what the developers tried to achieve?

2) What's the value of an HD-capable CRT over a modern HD-capable LCD, LED, etc. TV? There are now LCD displays that display HD images and are lag-free, so what is the real benefit of playing HD images over a CRT by comparison?

I only ask for reasonable, level-headed responses. Thank you for all such replies.
>>
1) This implies that I give a shit what the developer wanted. I play my games how I like them.

2) My 1080p monitor is among the best you can get in its class but I still prefer the image of my CRT over it. If you have a PC CRT try looking at some moving images on both, the LCD will have horrendous blur compared to a CRT of the same refresh rate. Another issue with LCD tech is the colour reproduction and black levels being kind of garbage.
>>
>>4193072
1) Hopefully, I wish HD Retrovision makes some kind of box which applies a smoothing filter and you plug in Component or RGB SCART cables there.
Also, I prefer Component YPbPr/RGB any day over Composite/RF, though there are some exceptions where Composite looks better to my eyes, i.e. the NES/Famicom.

2) For 1080i content, in my opinion. LEDs, LCDs, etc... can't handle interlaced content properly.
But there exists an interlaced HD resolution called 1080i and your typical modern TV applies a deinterlacing filter to display them properly.
But HD CRTs display 1080i without any need for deinterlacing to make them look good.
There are many Blu-rays which are only 1080i, since Blu-ray can only support 24fps max in 1080p and you have to downgrade it to either 1080i or 720p to retain the higher frame rate, they include:
>many bonus features in many Blu-rays
>the Final Fantasy concert Blu-rays
>many other concerts
>I think there were also some Studio Ghibli Blu-rays which were in 1080i, mostly Japan-only documentaries
>the "Video Format Versions" of The End of Evangelion on Blu-ray are only in 1080i because some of the live-action footage was shot in videotape, the theatrical movie version of The End of Evangelion is in 1080p, though.
And many more.

TV broadcasts are still in either 1080i or 720p to this day. I prefer watching TV broadcasts in 720p because my 4K TV can scale 720p properly and it looks better than 1080i, in my opinion.

Also, the PS2 and OG Xbox cannot handle 1080p properly but it can play 1080i in some games.
>>
> how can one say that they are playing such a game/system 'correctly' when not playing on RF or Composite?
Who fucking cares
>>
>>4193072
RGB output from stock systems and cables is available for like 80% of retro systems. One might consider arcade hardware to have been the "ideal".

Furthermore, CRTs offer a greater combination of low-latency and color depth than any modern display I'm aware of.
>>
>>4193286
>RGB output from stock systems and cables is available for like 80% of retro systems.

But cables for them had limited availability for the majority of their lifespans, limited to expensive or uncommon aftermarket cables, or to certain countries/continents only. There are only a few notable exceptions (Saturn came boxed with RGB Scart in Europe, and people actually complained about that since their televisions only had RF input at the time).
>>
>>4193318
There were OEM RGB options for pretty much every system. Of course they were premium items, there were huge price wars. Serious hobbyists would make their own cables and solder up controllers to install consoles into arcade cabinets for example.

One could easily reverse this argument and put it to you that if the developers intended for end users not to use RGB, why did they include it on their multi-out ports?
>>
>>4193072
>1) Given that there are systems where Component/RGB output was possible, but not available through stock cables and/or systems, and given that games on these systems sometimes use visual effects that do not properly display in higher-quality output than RF or Composite, how can one say that they are playing such a game/system 'correctly' when not playing on RF or Composite? Doesn't that indicate a divergence from what the developers tried to achieve?
What visual effects are you referring to?
>>
>>4193318
Americans. LMAO
>>
>>4193362
Almost for sure a reference to the Genesis's pseudo-transparency effect
>>
>>4193072
1) Given a bullshit question the answer is bullshit

2) When more bullshit is given the answer is bullshit

That is as reasonable an level-header an answer as can be given since both questions are based on false assumptions, aka bullshit.
>>
>>4193373
Dithering still works with RGB, it just looks sharper.
>>
>>4193072
>What's the value of an HD-capable CRT over a modern HD-capable LCD, LED, etc. TV?

Response time, contrast, color, phosphor glow, the CRT "look". Also value: you can get these things for free a lot of the time.
>>
>>4193392
they're just worse at HD content compared to LCDs.
>>
>>4193802
If you play retro games on a HDTV you are BAD at video games . You cannot play platformers at a high level with input lag.. if you don't notice the lag, then you are fucking bad at video games
>>
File: you-must-be-new-here.jpg (25KB, 311x311px) Image search: [Google]
you-must-be-new-here.jpg
25KB, 311x311px
>>4193807
Do you even know what type of physically and mentally children you're dealing with?
>>
>>4193802
Not at all. One of the Sony WEGA Super Fine Pitch CRT HDTVs would make a fine television for video games up to today, as well as a great thing to actual television shows and movies on. There's not really any downside.
>>
>>4195742
I love the color reproduction, black levels, and motion clarity of my CRTs, but god damn do I wish I could get the perfect geometry that fixed pixel displays have.
>>
>>4195754
stop looking at geometry patterns
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.