[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I always wondered, is there a collection of "cinematic"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3

File: xenogears31.jpg (81KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
xenogears31.jpg
81KB, 500x375px
I always wondered, is there a collection of "cinematic" classic japanese videogames out there?

I mean games with lots of voice acting and/or animation

Examples:
Metal Gear Solid
Xenogears
Ace Combat 3 (jap)

That kinda stuff
>>
Yes, it is called the PS1 library
>>
>>4190173
You're pretty limited if you want translated stuff. And it's just going to be max 5min cutscenes and the normal just 30 sec clip here and there. Resident Evil for example.

Cinematic games don't really exist pre 6th gen consoles with the modern meaning. You get some games on the PC though that fit the meaning. Examples like Black Dahlia or Gabriel Knight.
>>
>>4190173
>collection
>what did they mean by this
If you mean do they exist, yes there are many.

>>4190184
They became a major thing as soon as CDs became a thing. See the PCE. But as you pointed out, kids who can't into moon are very unaware of this.
>>
>>4190173
I don't mind cinematic as long as there is a strong degree of interactivity involved. I mean that's why I play games instead of reading a book or watch a movie.

i'm playing xenogears right now. I've owned the cart for over 10 years. this is my third attempt to finish the first disc.

I'm 6 hours in fighting gebbler (spelling?) people who are attacking bart's homestead.

my problem with this game...the forest after the attack on your village and the cave was fun. but otherwise I'm forced into limited areas and the story carries me from place to place...and I don't feel like I'm traveling nor exploring to find the next place. and the dialogue has all this exposition and I hear it gets worse.

the combat isn't that bad. the graphics are nostalgic...very much like grandia 1, thousand arms and other ps1 3d rpgs. the music so far in xenogears is fantastic.

I HOPE I can continue. the game feels like a chore. I don't feel like I'm getting to customize any character. I wish I could travel and romp around a bit before the next town but it's just either by force/story or it's not far at all.

for voice-acting and quality cut scenes don't forget lunar 1 and 2 for the ps1.
>>
>>4190213
>>what did they mean by this
Blogpost, article or jpeg. A summary or something, so they are easy to look up

>>4190184
Yeah, I meant stuff for EOPs. For instance I did not know Ace Combat 3 got a fan translation until a while ago
I know the Japanese couldn't stop making the thing, the late 90s were full of vns, dating sims or straight up anime adaptations like the Evangelion N64 game
>>
>>4190230
Xenogears is mostly story and "feel", one of the most linear jrpgs out there unfortunately. The combat is very fun, but besides mastering the combos and some other stuff later it doesn't have much depth
>>
>>4190213
>They became a major thing as soon as CDs became a thing. See the PCE.
Not really. FMV to an extent but cinematic no.
>>4190235
They still make them but now it's all cgi 3d models.
>>
>>4190238
I don't mind story and feel. I named lunar. not much customizing and going straight from place to place. but it seems to be better paced than xenogears which is heavily dialogue-ridden.

I also loved suikoden 2 which has lots of "feel" but also solid combat with awesome exploration for a ps1 rpg.

story and feel is what all good rpgs need. but it's about balancing it with interactivity. I don't want to sit for lengthy periods of time just hitting the x button for dialogue's sake. I'm going to stick with xenogears. the thought of it sitting on my shelf unplayed is annoying. I'm going to try to finish the first disc this time.
>>
>>4190173
Snatcher
Policenauts
D, D2, Enemy Zero
Ys 1 and 2 Chronicles/Complete has lots of dialogue and animu cutscenes
>>
>>4190260
>Lunar
All the different versions look like a mess. Sega CD or PS1? I heard the PSP ones were worse
>>
>>4190279
Sega CD versions are better. PSX versions casualised the difficulty.
>>
>>4190287
You mean Vireland didn't fuck up the difficulty as bad in the PS1 releases.

Lunar (Jap) has always been easy.
>>
>>4190278
>Snatcher
>Policenauts
Are these games the old-school "you can get permanently stuck without realizing" adventure games? I really don't want to play them with a walkthrough on my lap
>>
>>4190385
They aren't adventure games. They're basically more involved Visual Novels with FPS sequences. Progressing to the next screen usually involves inspecting everything on the screen. There aren't any puzzles really.
>>
>>4190287
Listen here you little shit, the CD versions are fucking trivial outside of perhaps two bosses. One of which is the final one.
>>
>>4190260
Xenogears is like a book or a series of long ass films, it's more about telling it's story and occasionally challenging the player to overcome it than it is about providing a world to be in or escape to.

You should check out the SaGa series, SaGa Frontier, Romancing SaGa 3, and Minstrel Song especially.
>>
>>4190417
Or Star Ocean 2. You'd probably like Star Ocean 2. Be forewarned that the intro is incredibly long however, it's fairly open after that.
>>
>>4190173
Well Xenogears has really bad writing so...what qualifies as a classic?
>>
Elly gives me that special feeling that makes my keyboard and floor dirty
>>
panzer dragoon saga is definitely very cinematic
>>
>>4190173
Mega man X4 counts as one? Because it has a lot of animation.
>>
>>4190259
Yes, really. You may be unaware of it due to age and language skills but it was indeed a major thing.
>>
>>4190632
>age
Sorry kid but the change to making the perspective an actual camera was used very little for retro games. This is just objective fact. And I’m not using that as a meme or “buzzword”. Rare to find camera defects like lens flare, rain splatter on the screen, etc in these games. It was more about story telling then making the game cinematic. FMV games being an exception since they can literarily (not the meme) be cinematic. Also add the fact that in retro games the camera control is nearly never taken from you or it’s just never given to you. In cinematic games like most all modern games today the camera is taken from you at almost any chance to drive forward the story.

This misunderstanding is understandable if you're underage like yourself. Your understanding is only that of cinematic games. You view retro games with an eye for cinematic styling without realizing it. You most likely see no difference. The majority of retro games are representational of being there. They are meant to immerse you. Modern games go for a more abstract view. They have odd rules for their worlds. Often having camera faults like lens flare while going for film tricks like blue filters and not so dark blacks so you can see at night. But at the same time the camera will shake, get blood spattered, or just get cluttered with modern UI design.
>>
>>4190279
Both ps1 and Sega CD have great versions.I prefer recommending ps1 to newcomers even though grew up with Sega cd.
>>
>>4190656
So my problem is that I'm using the definition everyone else uses except you and that's because I'm too young, being your dads age. Got it. lol.
>>
File: 1475409502612.jpg (254KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1475409502612.jpg
254KB, 1440x1080px
>>4190973
Yes, you and the rest of your underage buddies are retarded. This may be news to you unfortunately since I run into this problem frequently with people rewriting the dictionary.

Definition of cinematic
: of, relating to, suggestive of, or suitable for motion pictures or the filming of motion pictures cinematic principles and techniques cinematic special effects
: filmed and presented as a motion picture cinematic fantasies a cinematic adaptation of a novel
>>
>>4190984
Well everyone in the thread used the definition "it has anime cutscenes"
>>
>>4191026
BTFO!
>>
>>4191026
Welcome to modern internet. People often have no idea what they're talking about and will create words or just misuse existing words.
>>
>>4191031
>>4191035
>>4190984
>>4191026
>I'm looking for "cinematic" X
>this is what I mean by the word in air quotes:
Your fault for not reading the OP if I'm being honest
>>
>>4191065
Learn how a post chain works my reddit freindo. I read the OP and already responded to him.
>>
>>4191069
Maybe you didn't do it properly then.
>>
>>4191065
Dont ever reply to me again you piece of shit my post has nothing to do with what you said go mind your own fucking business
>>
>>4191070
No you can clearly see what posted I linked to. Sorry you're a retard who apparently can't read a dictionary or a post chain. That's assuming you're not just an ignorant underageb& which is more likely.
>>
>>4191074
your reply has nothing to do with what my post just said either
>>
>>4191065
>>4191069
Bait
>>
>>4190984
>i can't into subject specific jargon
Then you're in the wrong place sport. If you want to discuss shit that's the official dictionary definition of retro you need to head back to /v/ and discuss modern indie pixel shit imitative of a style or fashion from the recent past.
>>
>>4190173
Megaman 8 and Megaman X4
>>
>>4191210
Sorry if I offended you by not taking your social media definition of a word seriously.
>>
>>4192473
>Sorry if I offended you by not taking the definition everyone here uses of a word seriously.
FTFYK
>>
>>4192682
Just because you find company in underageb& doesn't mean it's the rule of the land.
>>
>>4192726
If you can't handle a few underage and retro jargon you might want to find someplace you can unironically shitpost about how you're not really a millennial despite fitting the dictionary definition until you're comfortable enough with your own age deal with /vr/.
>>
>>4193076
Or you can take you social media speak the fuck out of here? Naw this is 4chan. Social media dumping grounds.
>>
>>4195560
That's generally how /vr/ was. This newspeak didn't pop up till your kind came on.
>>
>>4190260
Stick with xenogears, it can feel arduous, but take your time with it. It's really a very cool game with some really neat ideas, but don't force yourself, if it's going to take time, let it.
>>
>>4197050
>Stick with xenogears
If you want a really poorly written cinematic experience.
>>
>>4197678
That's a whole lot of irony coming form the guy who can't post without using a social media definition of a word.
>>
>>4197678
>brings up 'cancer' and millennials in the same post
i can smell the pol
>>
File: 1500969095267.jpg (46KB, 566x562px) Image search: [Google]
1500969095267.jpg
46KB, 566x562px
>>4197825
I think the anti/pol/ shit is getting worse than actual /pol/ because I see it in every fucking thread when it's not even relevant. How is disliking millenials on a board that often devolves into an age contest /pol/ you fucking idiot
>>
>>4197837
Man dank reaction image. You sure told him. Also the bitching about /pol/ has been a thing since before /pol/ was /pol/
>>
>>4197837
your posts speak for themselves man
>>
>>4198474
Keep the irony coming.
>>
>>4190519
I doubt it, but I hated that they went that route.

I miss the straightforwardness of the snes trilogy.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.