[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why can't modern shooters/physics engines recreate how fast

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 3

File: doom-1993-01.jpg (117KB, 703x527px) Image search: [Google]
doom-1993-01.jpg
117KB, 703x527px
Why can't modern shooters/physics engines recreate how fast and fluid Doom, Quake, Half Life 1, etc. felt?

Same for 2.5D vs 3D RTS games.
>>
they can, but to be honest what's the point? Shooters aren't exactly a genre known for innovation. You can only do so much with that framework. RTS games too.

If you want fast and fluid games, I think you need to experience new genres.
>>
The silly idea that more realism makes for better games.
>>
>>4190129
CoD has tons of breaks from reality though
>>
>>4190120
Titanfall 2
>>
>>4190120
Because autisticly simulating every particle of smoke, drop of rain, and blade of grass is far more important than game play.
>>
>>4190120

Because you can't do it with a controller.
>>
>>4190280
lol yes you can. doom is easy as piss with a controller, so is duke actually. hell these old games could be done keyboard only (and I did do them keyboard only as a kid). recently went through the anniversary edition of duke 3d on ps4 on CGS difficulty easily. sure on PC I play on DIG but w/e.

Also it depends on how well the devs actually bother making the analog controls feel with the sensitivity etc. sometimes analog controls feel like an abortion and clunky, other times they feel silky smooth and nice.
>>
>>4190280
>you can't
Projecting pretty hard there sport.
>>
>>4190280

I had no problems playing quake 1, 2, fucking daikatana and doom 64 with that joystick
>>
>>4190120
I'm pretty sure at the speeds Doom goes with the modern graphics fidelity that people expect, the game would shit itslef and have so screen tearing, texture pop-in and frame drops to less than 5 pfs it would be unplayable...so they make everything slow.
>>
>>4190158
those are the best parts
>>
>>4190739
and that's why infinite warfare multiplayer is so much fun. they've finally made it a game based on movement and awesome sci fi weapons that are ludicrously satisfying to kill with, but the cancer cod community hates it because it's too fast and "futuristic" for them. back to "boots on ground" we go with WW2 that we've seen literally a thousand times before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PaQk3X6vVM
>>
because we have doom and thats good enough
>>
>>4190280
A lot of my enjoyment with Doom/Doom II on PC was beating it with different control styles. Kb only, mouse n keyboard, crappy game pad, joystick, flight stick, weird-ass Sidewinder controllers.
>>
>>4190891
But Infinite is a step back from Advanced and that was already incredibly mediocre at best
>>
>>4190669
daikatana. haven't heard that name in years. as a huge Duke Nukem fan i still remember the first time i chopped a fucker up with that katana.
>>
>>4190120
>Why can't modern shooters/physics engines recreate how fast and fluid Doom, Quake, Half Life 1, etc. felt?

They can. It's not an engine problem it's a design problem.
>>
>>4190732
>
I'm pretty sure at the speeds Doom goes with the modern graphics fidelity that people expect, the game would shit itslef and have so screen tearing, texture pop-in and frame drops to less than 5 pfs it would be unplayable...so they make everything slow.

They wouldn't. Despite all the garbage Warframe has it does those things, faster than Doom and looks great. It has no tearing, texture-pop in... frame drops are or were dependent on squads and what's going on and whose hosting, but it was entirely possible to be fighting thirty enemies at once in a four man squad at a full 120FPS while zooming around the room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pihHgvTvic

Slow games aren't a programming problem, they're a design problem.
>>
>>4191338
that shitty budget mmo level design tho
>>
>>4190280

Yes you can.

You're not going to be winning DM vs a keyboard/mouse player, but that's about it.
>>
>>4190120
Its a design problem. Also quake and half-life had the benefit of broken mechanics (bunny hopping) which made them insanely fast for god tier players. God i miss that.

>>4190307
Playing plutonia experiment on nightmare is pretty hard with a controller
>>
>>4191380
>playing plutonia on nightmare
>playing on nightmare
>playing plutonia

That's your problem. I seriously hope you guys don't do this.

Don't be that autist.
>>
>>4191385
plutonia was a pretty fun experience on UV (with mouse and keyboard) and doom 1+2 on nightmare is pretty much mandatory unless youre shit. doesnt anybody like hard games anymore?
>>
>>4191393
And like clockwork, the eternal autist comes out of the woods
>>
>>4191395
youre gonna thank me when CERN opens up that portal to hell on saturns north pole, and i am prepared
>>
>>4191398
>when CERN opens up that portal to hell
The Swiss are already doing that intentionally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW5gklIKcDg
>>
>>4191385
Plutonia is the best officially released Doom wad you retarded doom bab.
>>
>>4191285
advanced warfare sucked dicks. that whole movement system was utterly retarded and was sledgehammer games floundering in the dark, not knowing what to do since titanfall had come out with a new movement system. they tried to be 'original' instead of just not outright copying titanfall, so they produced a retarded unintuitive system where the idiot jumps ten feet nearly straight up in the air like it's supposed to be good. it was just fucking stupid and felt tacked on.

in blops 3 b team treyarch realised they had to just go back to copying the true A-team at respawn so they ripped off the movement there and it's far better than the retarded shit in AW. plus IW has the best hybrid of movement with AW's movement and Blops 3's if you use propulsion, giving the most freedom by far.

all in all you just have retarded taste but I'm gonna leave this here 'cause not retro and I'm not gonna talk cowadoody with a cowadoody fanboy lol.
>>
>>4191614
I can understand hate towards TNT, as it is basically hitscan hell (at least the early game, i never got past stronghold and i refuse to play sub UV difficulties), but plutonia is a god tier wad. I was stuck on realm for a while though
>tfw not a single armor or mega health on the entire map and dual archviles + 4 revenants blocking the exit
>>
>>4191634
I actually like the first half or so of TNT, then I remember it got boring the last two times I tried playing through it and I dropped it near the same place. Not because it's hard, but because it's fucking boring. I have played through the whole thing though ages ago.

but yeah. first half or so of tnt I did like a lot.
>>
>>4191643
Maybe i should go back and try again
>>
>>4191648
but the second time I went back it was to "try again" :O

although in fairness I think both times were right after playing through another megawad, so it might have been getting kinda burned out too
>>
>>4191634
I thought TNT was easier than Plutonia. I remember playing through both for the first time as a kid (about 15 years old). I did Plutonia first because I thought it would be the easier one (TNT "sounded" like it would be harder to me since it seemed more "explosive"). So I played through all of Plutonia, then played TNT and remember thinking WTF? This is so much easier and smaller.
>>
>>4190120
They can though? You can still do circle jumps in CoD as far as I know.
>>
>>4191634
plutonia first levels are fucking dumb, even with "for hardcore players only" mentality. The fact that UV has more archviles than zombiemen, just because LOLARCHVILES is incredibly stupid.
>>
>>4191680
Yes ive heard that TNT is easier than plutonia, its just that the beginning of TNT has so much hitscan crap and i honestly rather fight archviles with shotgun than chaingunners. The general opinion seems to be that plutonia is the better wad as well.
>>4191709
Yeah, the difficulty is quite intense already from the first level, but really, fighting projectile mobs and archviles is the most fun part about doom, so i enjoyed it right from the start. That maze level with some 20 archviles was really fun
>>
>>4191634
I'm pretty sure that Stronghold is impossible on Nightmare
>>
>>4191721
Wasnt completed on nightmare from pistol start until like 2014. Now zero master has actually completed a deathless NM speedrun of both plutonia and TNT (he did plutonia before TNT primarily due to the near impossibility of stronghold)
>>
>>4191721
it's finally been by God, AKA Zero Master, same guy who did the Plutonia Nightmare speedrun last year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg9yIsSj-yU
>>
>>4191720
That particular level is actually pretty good. But in other levels archviles are just no brain lolarchviles just because.
>>
>>4191726
Slight correction, he actually does a RL death glide under a door into the exit on one level in plutonia, but that still counts as deathless in the speedrunning community
>>
>>4191728
He truly is a god amongst men. That plutonia run solely resparked my interest in doom. Prolly watched it like 20 times already
>>
>>4190127
The only RTS you need to be playing is the ORIGINAL and FIRST RTS which is Shattered Galaxy and it came out in 1999 so yes it's /vr/
>>
>>4191728
god i hate tnt's music
>>
>>4190120
They can, but they're a very different type of games.
Modern shooters are designed to be playable on a console controller, so they opt for a control scheme that allows player to either move OR shoot, and not both at the same time - because on a controller you would be using the same thumbs to press buttons and use thumbsticks, so gameplay is slower paced to make for better experience on a controller - which is why modern shooters tend to focus more on sitting behind cover and aiming down the sights.

Of course, now that people are getting better at FPSes after decades of using controllers, we are finally seeing games like Bulletstorm, Doom 4 and Titanfall that are trying to be much faster and more fluid, so hopefully you will see more of the kind of games you like soon.
>>
File: Warframe 160606235730_1.jpg (585KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Warframe 160606235730_1.jpg
585KB, 1600x1200px
>>4191353
The level design is irrelevant to the graphics being put out and it's because the tilesets for each mission are randomly generated otherwise the missions would get far more stale quicker, there's also a variety of different level types and having them as open as they are as well allows them to be used in multiple mission types and for various play squads. The graphics for the levels look fine in play and have sufficient set pieces. Some of the rooms are more attractive than others, some are better for gameplay. They also improve the graphics over time and get more overhauls.

That being said, still not suggesting to play it as it is a grindfest that attempts to steal your money, but it has a weird position in that it crosses boundaries in that slow players can play it and it also presents gameplay speed that no other modern game matches really. It's constantly fighting between being great and being an microtransaction shitfest.

Either way, the point stands, it looks like a modern era game and it's fast. Thus negating the point that modern era games need to run like shit to move fast. Even Crysis and Crysis 2 had speed enhancements that let you run fast - albeit highly limited bursts.
>>
BRING BACK QUAKE III FLUIDITY

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
>>
>>4193327
this
still playing pickups in cpma due to lack of anything even remotely comparable ever being released
>>
File: 26-105-122-07.jpg (12KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
26-105-122-07.jpg
12KB, 640x480px
>>4193339

Good ole days
>>
>>4190280
>>4190307
I played Doom and Duke and the like for the first time in the last 2 years and have only ever used a keyboard.

That lack of Y-axis aiming is pretty sweet when it comes to keeping fights moving fast.
>>
>>4193343
the Q3 engine was pure perfection
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtmNPoWFzKE
>>
>>4193327
>>4193361
What's the difference between Quake 3 and Quake Live?
>>
>>4193542
shitty vampire mods and casuals playing without cpm physics and fast rail
otherwise quake live was actually pretty good. didnt quite feel like real q3 though
>>
>>4193542
One of them is one game and the other is another game. What's the difference between two different games? It's a big list.
>>
>>4190120
Because games are dead in general by now. Game play as a quality factor has been replaced with sales figures and fanboyism. Because SONY & Co have made their quest for dominance your quest.
>>
>>4191806
Nope, Shattered Galaxy came out in 01.
>>
>>4191806
lol even C&C came out before that
>>
>>4193542
Quake Live has better netcode, balance, and movement while Quake 3 has the old mods. Nobody plays VQ3 anymore as well so its either buying Quake Live or playing CPMA mod.
>>
>>4193774
i think cpm is implied if you talk about q3 beyond shooting anarchy bots in q3tourney4. also q3 has defrag mod, which ive sunk a couple of thousand hours into without exaggerating
>>
>>4190120
Games now are about spectacle ("Wow look at dem grafics I wanna play dat gamm!") and getting the player "hooked" on micro-transactions rather than quality gaming.
>>
>>4190280
Nigger I only play Doom with a Dualshock-style gamepad. Only way to play for me
>>
So are we just ignoring the Doom 2016 release or is that automatically hated now? That was a pretty fucking fun game and most reminiscent of retro shooters I've seen in a long time.
>>
>>4193874
it's slow and not good
>>
>>4193874
that game would have been interesting if it was released 10 years ago
>>
>>4193891
It's slower and not as good
>>
>>4193874
there's literally nothing to talk about Doom 2016

no fucking coop mode
nobody plays multiplayer
snapmap is shit
there are no modding tools
no news on future content if they even care about that cashgrab

and everyone already had beaten the game and it provides zero replayability so there's no need to go back
>>
>>4193874
Doom 2016 MP is garbage. I would much rather play Zandronum or D3 duel.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.