[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The sprites for MM7-8 are much larger comparitively than their

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 11

File: mega man comparisons.jpg (178KB, 964x720px) Image search: [Google]
mega man comparisons.jpg
178KB, 964x720px
The sprites for MM7-8 are much larger comparitively than their NES counterparts. Devs thought more powerful console should mean bigger more detailed sprites. but they failed to take into account how this would affect gameplay. It gives smaller screensize so less time to react to enemies, and it makes the gameplay feel slower and more sluggish.

These are the Mega Man sprites for 7-8 compared to "Kaizou Choujin Schbibinman Zero", which is a far better Mega Man game than those two. It keeps the small sprite size of the NES Mega mans.

Castlevania did something similar. Super has a huge Simon Belmont sprite, and the gameplay is slow and sluggish. Bloodlines has a very small sprite with fast gameplay more similar to the original NES series.
>>
Same for Super Metroid when you compare it to Metroid on the NES, but it actually helps with the atmosphere without impacting gameplay much.

Metroid II on the other hand...
>>
>>4189437

What is going on with the pose in 8? In 7 Mega has clenched fist, and a scowl. Looks like he's gonna kick some ass. In 8, he's just starring off into nothing, and his hands are sorta half open. He looks like a doll, not even something alive.
>>
>>4189476
>He looks like a doll, not even something alive.
Well he is a robot...
>>
>>4189480
Doesn't Megaman have a soul? like can't he choose to ignore the laws of robotics?
X can for sure, because hadouken, but wouldn't that technically make them alive?
>>
File: 1494125764553.png (504KB, 674x665px) Image search: [Google]
1494125764553.png
504KB, 674x665px
>>4189476
this guy knows what's up
>>
>>4189483
I think original Mega Man can't ignore the laws, remind that in the original japanese version of the MM7 ending he just stares when Wily says he can't hurt him.

In X's case, yes, Dr. Light made him capable of taking decisions and having choices. If that makes him alive is another discussion.
>>
>>4189474

Yes, you're right. I hadn't noticed that. But Metroid games were never super fast action games, so it doesn't seem like a big deal for those.
>>
Anyway I'm think 8's sprite is way better than 7's, just playing Rockman & Forte you see the difference.
>>
>>4189437
What would your preferable background size compared to PC sprite size?
Generally speaking, of course, depending on speed of action.
>>
File: Castlevania+(USA)+7[1].png (11KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Castlevania+(USA)+7[1].png
11KB, 640x480px
>>4189580
>What would your preferable background size compared to PC sprite size?

For action games like Castlevania, and Mega Man, the NES versions had it spot on. There's a reason why MM9-10 just felt better and faster than 7-8 and MM&B. Also Rosenkreuzstilette follows the PC sprite size to background ratio of the Mega Man games perfectly, which is why it feels pretty solid.

For other genres, it depends of course.
>>
>>4189580
ninja gaiden has the perfect sprite size, but it can work with large sprites too, like in arcade strider.
>>
File: mega-man-cartoon.jpg (13KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
mega-man-cartoon.jpg
13KB, 300x300px
>>4189483
>Doesn't Megaman have a soul?

No. He's an empty automaton who simply has a broadly defined prime directive. He has no free will or soul and while it may appear he can pass a Turing Test he is ultimately just a machine to be replaced when he breaks.

Blues isn't alive
Rock isn't alive
Bass isn't alive
Roll isn't alive
Rush isn't alive
>>
>>4189770
>Roll isn't alive

Roll is my wife though.
>>
>>4189770
None of them are really alive. Cyber elf's are the first sort of forray into "souls" and they came along way after the x series. Even then it's debatable if a cyber elf is a soul. Maybe the sigma virus could be considered a live though.

Zero has been blown apart at least 2 times during the x series and is still kicking.
>>
>>4189770
Doesn't Blues have free will?
>>
>>4190198
It's hard to say what his deal is. Maybe they just didn't program a primary directive, giving the illusion of free will.
>>
>>4190210
Whatever definition of free will you have, there's nothing inherently different between electronic and biological constructions
>>
>>4190227
Because megaman appears to have it as well. But we have a scene in the games that challenges this. We never see proto have any sort of law of robotics conflict to overcome. So it's a mystery.
>>
>>4190227
>there's nothing inherently different between electronic and biological constructions
What are you basing this statement on?
>>
>>4189437
>Bloodlines has a very small sprite with fast gameplay more similar to the original NES series.
>Belmont/Morris strut
>fast
>ever

>>4189498
>Metroid games were never super fast action games
>what is speed booster and shinesparking
>>
>>4189483
basically all of the pre-X robots have nothing approaching a soul or real free will, with a handful of exceptions
Rock himself might be further along than the rest (having been shown to have an actual desire to kill Wily for his crimes, but he can't actually act on it because he's programmed to not hurt humans ever), but that's purely theory and is never actually stated. Blues and Bass also seem to be in the same boat as Rock.

Reploids probably have souls in the X series. By the time the Zero series happens, reploids almost certainly do have souls with the whole cyber elf thing.
>>
>>4189483
He's just Kikaider with a gun for one of his arms.
>>
>>4190387
>Reploids probably have souls in the X series
Megaman Xtreme 2 is subtitled "Soul Eraser" in Japan, so yeah, they actually do.
>>
>>4189437

I'm pretty sure this is entirely intentional. Didn't Mega Man X come before Mega Man 7? People apparently wanted classic Mega Man gameplay also, so they made it much more slow feeling of a game. I think it's completely fine since you're not dashing around as X does. Close sprites are fun for platform hell.
>>
X has individuality and the potential to choose any destiny he wants, even if that meant killing humans. That's why Light simulates his morality for 30 years before letting him run loose.

Zero has no soul, but he also has nothing preventing him from killing people. He probably has a primary directive that's something abstract like "be the strongest and do anything to achieve victory if this is ever called into question". Almost all of his actions can be explained as some manifestation of wanting to fight and prove his martial dominance, except for when he chooses to sacrifice himself, which is probably a manifestation of X's schematic being added to his when he was rebuilt. The fact that he's willing to die in a fight is probably what makes him superior to a copy of his original design in MMZ3.

It doesn't seem like reploids have real souls for main-canon of the X games, with all the ones after X5 being a different timeline where I guess they actually do. Once MMZ rolls around reploids are basically as complex as X is, without the benefit of X's centuries of wisdom, and by the time we reach MML the androids have completely inherited the planet and are in every way as sentient as human beings.
>>
>>4190742
Can you clear advent up? Do the biometals have the "spirit" of X and Zero?
>>
>>4190750
sure, why not, zx is basically fanfiction
>>
>>4189770
>Rock
>Blues
>Bass
not Forte
kys
>>
>>4189437
Is no one else going to call you out on this literally who game not being comparable to Mega Man? This is a 2D brawler with a (shitty, momentum killing) charge shot. You can jump through the floors. There's no dashing or sliding. Yeah the sprites are a bit Mega Man-esque but this is too much of its own thing to be compared.

Also, it's not better than Mega Man 7, faggot. It's a decent le obscure gem find, though. What e-celeb showed it to you and compared it to the megamans?
>>
File: MMSCREENS.png (26KB, 320x333px) Image search: [Google]
MMSCREENS.png
26KB, 320x333px
>>4189437
It's true that MM7 is like that, for not MM8.

What you failed to comprehend is that MM8 has a much wider screen than NES/SNES games.

Actually even MM7 has a wider screen tha NES games, but the character sprites being so much bigger it makes up for it.

MM7 seem unfair and bad because of the scale at first, but the more you'll play the game, the more you'll like, the less of an issue this will become (because you'll know enemy placement etc), and then you'll realize MM7 is an awesome game.

MM8's scale though, there is nothign wrong with it.
>>
>>4189437
wtf shockman is nothing like megaman, unless you think art-style = gameplay.
anyway I enjoyed Megaman 7 as a kid and the screen was never a problem for me. Megaman 8 had bigger resolution than nes/snes games so your comparison there is dumb
>>
File: 1461043036535[1].jpg (30KB, 610x598px) Image search: [Google]
1461043036535[1].jpg
30KB, 610x598px
>>4191308

Schbibinman Zero is pretty much "what if Mega Man had boxing gloves?". The level design, enemy placement, pacing, character design, art style is all very MM like. It doesn't play that differently from Zero sections from MMX games. I mean come on, look at the portrait by the life bar. It looks like a recolored MM NES sprite.

I haven't played any of the other Schbibinman games to compare.
>>
>>4189437
MM8 has a larger horizontal res than MM7, NES MMs or schubibinman
>>
>>4191349
>>4191307

Playstation only has two output resolutions: 320x240 progressive and 640x480 interlaced. The internal resolutions do not matter, only the output resolution, and the relative sprite ratio compared to the screen-size.
>>
>>4191360
>the relative sprite ratio compared to the screen-size.

Which is exactly my point. Here is MM8
>>
File: MM5shieldtest157-0.png (7KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
MM5shieldtest157-0.png
7KB, 256x240px
>>4191368
and here is MM5.

The scale is almost the same. Unlike for MM7.
>>
>>4191371
>The scale is very much the same

and I mean in terms of what you can see ahead of you, which is matters the most in MM , and which was the issue with MM7, not seeing what's ahead of you.
It's not a problem in 8

You see less up and down, but that matters a lot less in MM games, there is only a couple of scrolls in MM8 where the scrolling goes up or down.
>>
File: Mega Man & Bass-2.png (4KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
Mega Man & Bass-2.png
4KB, 240x160px
>>4191372
>>4191371
I wonder if this is at least part of why I found Megaman and Bass so frustrating (well the GBA version at least. Never owned a Super Famicom). I guess just like the MM8 sprites just don't scale well with the different resolution.
>>
this is a huge reason why I think 8-bit sidescrollers are better than 16-bit
>>
>>4191420
The GBA port actually crops the bottom and the top of the screen.

That's why it's unfair and why it's a bad port.

Play the SFC version with a fan translation.
>>
File: mega man comparisons2.jpg (230KB, 964x720px) Image search: [Google]
mega man comparisons2.jpg
230KB, 964x720px
>>4191368

My methodology for >>4189437 is a bit sloppy, as I just went to Youtube, and grabbed screenshots from 960x720 resolution videos and then used those to compare the relative sprite size of the games. But, assuming that this methodology doesn't contain big errors, it does seem to show that Schbibinman Zero has smaller sprites which seem more on par with the classic MM games. Schbibinman Zero's sprites are bigger than Famicom Rockman, but smaller than MM7-8.

Also it seems that Schbibinman Zero has black bars at the top/bottom of the screen.
>>
>>4189437
Unlike Mega Man 7, Mega Man 8 also runs in a bigger resolution.

Only Mega Man 7 and especially GBA's Mega Man & Bass really feel cramped.
>>
>>4191491
The only game for which a comparison with Schbibinman Zero works are MM7 and MM&B (SFC version). You can't compare the scale directly with NES MMs or MM8 because those have different screens, IE: MM8 and MM7's sprites are about as big but MM8 has a wider play area so it's not a problem.

And even then we're talking 2 compeltely different games anyway....
>>
>>4189437
Yep, that's pretty much the major criticism of MM7 and to a lesser extent MM8. I bet if they ever make a MM9 and MM10 they're going to just go back to using NES style sprites.
>>
>>4191321
No it feels nothing like megaman exept for the art style/hud resemblances
>>
>>4193360
>I bet if they ever make a MM9 and MM10

>>
>>4189496
He's not alive because he's not organic.
>>
>>4193360
>I bet if they ever make a MM9 and MM10 they're going to just go back to using NES style sprites.

Heh.
>>
>>4191420
>>4191463
I remember one of the late game bosses is virtually impossible because the screen cuts off his weak point.
>>
>>4189437
I hear this complaint about not being able to react to enemies all the time but MM7 is one of the easiest games in the series other than dr. Wily. They compensate for smaller reaction times by having slower enemies in general

Git gud
>>
>>4191360
PS can do 256xwhatever, see SotN
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.