[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is /vr/ so anti-shader? Everywhere else on the net people

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 12

Why is /vr/ so anti-shader? Everywhere else on the net people are very positive towards them.

You'd swear the people here were molested by shaders during their youth or something.
>>
Sha....der?
Explain pls
>>
>>4189153
Open wide!
http://emulation-general.wikia.com/wiki/Shaders_and_Filters
>>
They dont do what crts do, they just make things look worse on an led screen
>>
>>4189146
/vr/ tends to be original hardware fags. Shaders are for emulators, and emulators aren't original hardware, so they're shit.
>>
a basic linear filter is all you need. scanlines can go eat a wet dick.
>>
>>4189161
>they just make things look worse
I mean... if you have a preference for pixelated diarrhea, sure.
>>
>>4189163
Ah, makes sense. Anything that the might make their precious hardware seem redundant must be demonized and shunned.
>>
>>4189167
How is cutting everything into stripes helping?
Aside from bloating the image size.
>>
>>4189146
There are dozens of adults on /vr/. Literally more than the entire rest of the internet combined. Shitty baby shit will always be looked down on by them.
>>
File: images (2).jpg (15KB, 311x162px) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
15KB, 311x162px
>>4189159
>"Ahhhhhhh"
Ah, I see.
If I emulated, I'd have some kind of opinion on this.
But thanks for the input.
>>
>>4189237
It just works, my man.
It just works.
>>
>>4189359
It works at making it look worse.
>>
>>4189363
I'll respect your right to be wrong.
And queer.
>>
File: Sor2_title.png (4KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
Sor2_title.png
4KB, 320x224px
>>4189365
This isn't something about taste.
145 kB are objectively worse than 4 kB.
>>
>>4189171
>Anything that the might make their precious hardware seem redundant must be demonized and shunned.
I emulate and think that hardware fags are autistic as hell but I still think shaders are retarded. Granted, I emulate on a CRT at original resolutions.
>>
Shader in the OP is pure shit. The new crt-aperture is by far the best one and it is not nearly as reliant on good hardware as crt-royale.
>>
>>4189368
Maybe I like thicker images. Ever think of that ya skinny low-test twink?

>>4189413
>Granted, I emulate on a CRT at original resolutions.
As do I. I only use shaders on my GPD Win, which has a much higher DPI screen than most PC monitors. crt-aperture looks far less "screen door-y" on its display.

>>4189427
>crt-aperture
That is the shader in the OP you dunce.
>>
>>4189159
>wikia

http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Shaders_and_Filters
>>
They look like shit.
>>
File: canti2.jpg (35KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
canti2.jpg
35KB, 640x480px
because it'll never be like the real thang
>>
>>4189715
>>4189146

What shaders are those? They look cool.
>>
File: 1493282883604.jpg (32KB, 410x396px) Image search: [Google]
1493282883604.jpg
32KB, 410x396px
You finally get the chance to view games as they are without multiple layers of CRT/analog nonsense and you willingly decide to ruin it
>>
>>4190083
Its about half and half with people who emulate on their PC because its free
>>
>>4190107
I emulate because 9 times out of 10 it's better than the real thing.
>>
>>4190245
Keep telling yourself that
Mofugga
>>
>>4190325

holy shit do you have a mental disorder? none of what you said makes any sense.
>>
No shader/filter Emulator > Original Hardware on CRT > Original Hardware on modern screen > shader/filter Emulator
>>
>>4190325
Why shouldn't it be able to be better than something as restricted as the original hardware?
It gives you far more options and allows you more access.
For instance you can use whatever input device you want, play at three times the speed or take screenshots.
>>
>>4190325
>The common rubber-tread car wheel is nothing like the stone wheel. It's not the original, how can it be better?
>>
>>4190330
My taste > This other guy's taste >>>>>>>>>> Your """""taste"""""
>>
>>4190331
Not to mention the ability to change the aspect ratio on the fly, hassle-free overclocking, custom pallets, not needing to mod old hardware to get a clear image, etc.
>>
>>4190347
>I like owning and playing games on a big, bulky, objectively inferior screen cube.

Do you also like to hand-write letters, or would you prefer the pre-paper method of shouting messages?

I kid, but you gotta admit it's a novelty at this point. All the problems of input-lag/screen-glitches can be solved via emulation.
>>
>>4190335
It's way more like
>Put decals on a car and have a paint job with flames
>wtf this looks so much better
>>
File: images-6.jpg (5KB, 140x140px) Image search: [Google]
images-6.jpg
5KB, 140x140px
>>4189715
yeah, especially when the consoles blew the shit out of the olld Tv's and made the picture all green or worse.

You guys want retro?
C'monnnnn

>pic related. Not first 2 lines though.
>>
>>4190331
>>4190350
>play at three times the speed
>custom pallets
surely, this is what the developers intended

I bet you guys also prefer to watch the movie adaption of a book because it has better special effects and won't take as much time to sit through.
>>
>>4190393
I don't care what the creators thinks.
I like better what I like better.
>>
I think if you've played the game before on original hardware you would realize it looks better without a shader. I can understand 19 years old that grew up with a GameCube enjoy shaders though.
>man smw looks like ass at 1080x1920
>scales the game to 16:9
>adds HQ filter
>now it looks good!
>>
Emulation is for poorfags. Original hardware is for autists. It is that simple. I am not a poorfag, and I am an autist, thus I can and do shell out hundreds of dollars for top-of-the-line PVMs and RGB modding for my consoles. If I was poor and unautistic, I would emulate.

tl;dr everyone ITT is a faggot just in different ways
>>
>>4190432
Dude autism isnt what they call it on the internet
>>
>>4190430
Go back to /int/, Murilo.
>>
>>4190393
I prefer original hardware 99% of the time but pokemon games are waaaaay better at 2x
>>
>>4189146
I'm pro shader, but they are not there yet.
>>
>>4189146

The only shader I need is my SNES and CRT little nigga.
>>
>>4190558
Don't call me nigga.
>>
>>4190430
I grew up with a NES and N64, only got a newer gen console (Xbox) when I was around 10.

Shaders make most NES, SNES, and similar generation games look better than either integer upscaling or bilinear filtering. I'd still prefer an actual CRT TV or a CRT monitor with added scalines, but CRT shaders are very nice when you don't have those.
>>
>>4190543
They are on high DPI displays.
>>
>>4190695
Are they capable of creating Genesis' transparency effects?
Are they blending the pixels well with a perfect ShadowMask?
Are they color correcting the RGB colors to composite-CRT TVs colors?
>>
File: 1502221814473.jpg (45KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1502221814473.jpg
45KB, 600x600px
>>4190950
>ShadowMask
>>
The only shader that is "acceptable" is a scanline filter or something. Those linear filter shaders look like shit, and those gaudy looking overlays that distort the screen and add a shitty tv or a gameboy around the image are just plain bad.
>>
>>4189146
wait so are you putting a shader on to make it look like a shitty old TV? I don't get it. Please don't tell me that's why it exists
>>
>>4190950
>Are they capable of creating Genesis' transparency effects?
Yeah, some of them.
>Are they blending the pixels well with a perfect ShadowMask?
Ask me again when I get a 4K monitor.
>Are they color correcting the RGB colors to composite-CRT TVs colors?
Yeah.
>>
Well, I grew up playing emulators, not the original hardware. So for me the blocky pc emulator version of mario is the mario from my childhood. So for me to get the same nostalgia kick, the shader would have to make it look like an old version of ZSNES, not an old CRT TV.
>>
>>4189238
>adults
Yeah, let's forget that a lot of adults (especially on the internet) act like children because they're either pretending to be retarded or are simply retarded.
>>
Because many of them are not that good looking

Some of them are ok, but some crt shaders look pretty terrible up close. Others distort the image so much that pixels just blend and mix together when they shouldn't.
>>
>>4189146
It's a four way battle royale you're seeing between

collector fags with "if it's not a brand CRT of that year on the very console with no third party replacement parts including the power supply even though that literally doesn't matter - then it sucks."

HQ4x SUPA SHADA fags who want everything to looks like it's dripping with vaseline with heavy artifacts on movement, alpha meshes, goofy as fuck eyes and wrong geometry and whatever shader they can ruin shit with.

Hardcore "I was totally there even though I'm actually eight years old currently and everything used raw pixels like my dad new LCD monitor on my emulator, I just turned on the game and that's how it was by default. Also if you plug in an emulator to the LCD TV it also looks that way. Point proven.

And CRT appreciators who recognize that some shaders are fucking terrible and no shaders is fucking awful and a CRT TVs are best for old games, but shaders that attempt to emulate them are a completely fair compromise that do reasonably where one cannot to also simulate a close approximation that provides not an accurate but adequately replicated look, so long as you're not a hardcore pixelkiddie with a magnifying glass on your LCD monitor complaining about scanlines which would otherwise look alright if you stop trying to lick your first pixel tit before your balls have dropped and take your fucking tongue off the screen and sit the fuck back and play the game - the entire reason we're here.
>>
>>4191186
Can you list the one that can do that?

The ones I tested with RetroArch didn't work like that, but I probably I didn't configure it correctly.

I can't remember the results from the ShadowMask 4k one, I'll test it again later.
>>
>>4191341
well, the Power supply matters, you can get a flickery image if you don't use an original one.
>>
File: filteredasfuck_smd.png (387KB, 1036x906px) Image search: [Google]
filteredasfuck_smd.png
387KB, 1036x906px
>>4189146
Oh I filter the shit out of everything. My emulation is on point nigga
>>
Mostly PVMfags who hate them because they're not real PVMs and then people who hate PVMs hating them because the majority of them don't aim to look like consumer CRTs.

Do what you like and don't be concerned with what other people think. Unless you're a HQ4x fag, then you should off yourself.
>>
The weirdest thing is people posting obscene CRT distortion filters for PC games that never used TVs as displays.
I don't really care how people play their games but if you post them here just use the original unfiltered image.
>>
>>4189146
Hello and welcome to 4chan.
People either love or hate things here.
Instead of loving things with passion and ignoring the things they hate, they tend to hate things with passion and just admire things they like in silence.

As for my take on this, play the games in whatever way you feel like, filters or no filters.
I don't give a shit and neither should you. Come back with a better subject for discussion next time.
>>
>>4189146
Because they are unnecessary.

Want to play some old games?

1. get a CRT
2. get some way to play in native res on said CRT
3. play games

It's not that hard, and it is the proper way to play.
>>
>>4189146
Shaders look okay until the game starts moving. They also dim the image quite a lot.
>>
>>4191162
They exist for people who grew up with HDTVs to pretend they know what a CRT looks like. It's 'retro' xD more upvotes on reddit, etc
>>
>>4192138
But shaders are far older than widespread HDTV.
>>
>>4190583
It's very unnecessary. I've always wanted to play these games pixel perfect clean no interference and now I can. If course I go back to CRT for nostalgia and less lag + no emulator imperfections (unless its 4th gen and below). Either way shaders make the game look worse on a computer, you might as well play on a CRT otherwise
>>
>>4190570

okay nigga
>>
>>4192079

How much was your copy of Terranigma?
>>
>>4193681
can't you just buy a flashcard?
>>
>>4193681
what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
File: justlikeiremember.png (19KB, 800x720px) Image search: [Google]
justlikeiremember.png
19KB, 800x720px
>>
>>4189146
I use sai2x for textures, and crt/tv filters for 2D stuff.
>>
>>4195876
Your posts already got deleted once. Quit being a faggot and move on.
>>
>>4189368
Pc and gameboy games were literally all pixellated on original retros hardware.
>>
>>4190432
Thank metaljebus. Now get a real jeb, shiller.
>>
>>4191343
You just need the right wattage. The end.
>>
File: shake.gif (581KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
shake.gif
581KB, 512x512px
>>4189146
>the games look so good when they're covered in squares and lines
>even though that's only what a game looks like if you take a photo of the screen
>this must be good because it's so ugly and hard to look at
>you wouldn't understand

Fuck off! Fuck the fuck off!
You'd never look at a game on a real TV and see that sort of thing
>>
it actually hurts my eyes right now to look at that picture. I guess that's why.
>>
>>4195916
>>4195951
Unglue your ugly mugs from your monitors you pixel-licking cunts.
>>
>>4196005
wtf I love shaders now, thanks
>>
>>4190101
This, the developers have no other choice than let you play the game in a damn CRT, and now that you can experience the game as they envisioned, you go for the artificial look.
>>
I like admiring good pixel art. Shaders and filters just turn everything into a blurry mess.
>>
>>4196045
Don't forget lossy compression like jpg.
>>
File: graffix.jpg (128KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
graffix.jpg
128KB, 512x512px
>>4189146
>Everywhere else on the net people are very positive towards them

Give people anonymity and they will tell you the truth without fear of ridicule or oppression
>>
>>4196054
You might as well use RAW bitmaps and TIFFs, autism bucks.
>>4195891
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuT7cF3VG2w

DOS games don't really need scalers/filters though. They were originally pixellated like that.
>>
>>4196357
bmp doesn't offer anything over png and gif is enough for retro systems with 256 colors and less.
TIFF has no application for games.
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.