[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hardwarefag here, im interested in getting a pc engine or turbografx,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_0215.jpg (172KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0215.jpg
172KB, 800x600px
Hardwarefag here, im interested in getting a pc engine or turbografx, but the amount of variations is a bit confusing.

I'm going to be using an everdrive and burning cds, i just prefer original hardware. Should I go for the pc engine duo? It doesnt look as cool as a pc engine+cd2 docked together but it seems cheaper than buying the other two separately. Since im not buying the super expensive games i wouldnt mind spending a little more for a design I like more, but is it worth it for function?
>>
>>4187702
Avoid shuttle, every dock (US and Briefcase) have Composite out. The Duo series have a Super System CD card build in, so you can play most of the CD games there.
>>
You can meet that girl of your liking only on the DUO.
>>
File: Need_to_fix_sound.jpg (776KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Need_to_fix_sound.jpg
776KB, 2592x1944px
>>4187702
I also think the best look is that white PC-Engine with a white CD-ROM^2 in the briefcase setup. I would go for that if I had money, since for that setup you can get an Arcade Card Pro (not Arcade Card Duo) and play all the games except for the SuperGrafx ones.

The Duos just make it convenient all in one setup that plays everything but out of region Turbochips/HuCards, SuperGrafx games, and Arcade CDs (but it can play the Arcade CDs if I can afford an Arcade Card Duo plus Kisado adapter, which will run me about $270USD total). Be aware that most of the early Duos (black ones) have capacitor issues, which I am currently suffering with. The Duo-R and Duo-RX were later releases so they may have chosen better capacitors.

The true plays it all setup is a SuperGrafx + Kisado Adapter + Super CD-ROM^2 system + Arcade Card Duo setup but that is really, really costly but the SuperGrafx with a Super CD-ROM^2 system on its back is a kind of ugly setup. However tacky I found the SuperGrafx with its fake plastic rivets design, I do believe it is a beautiful system when you own one in person like the original Xbox.
>>
>>4187713
Duo seems more concenient, then. Does the everedrive let me play region free disc games?

>>4187774
That is nice but the super seems kind of a waste for only six games
>>
>>4187842
All disc games are already region free and have no copy protection
>>
>>4187842
Non Duo's need a card, supposedly someone made a custom ROM (of the CD card ROM) that lets the Everdrive be turned into a CD card
>>
>>4187854
here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-IKYwFTEQUaM3RrMWF5WG9MLTg
>>
>>4187842
>That is nice but the super seems kind of a waste for only six games

I have tried the Supergrafx games in emulation and all of them are good to great.
The Daimakaimura port in particular is superb.
>>
>>4190025
>i emulated an inferior port
lel
>>
>>4191221
It plays better than arcade because you can shoot upwards.
>>
>>4191235
Pretty sure you can shoot upwards in the arcade version. Even if you were correct giving a port shittier graphics and easier game play doesn't make it better.
>>
File: 誕生 Debut - polygamy end.jpg (79KB, 719x470px) Image search: [Google]
誕生 Debut - polygamy end.jpg
79KB, 719x470px
>>4187732
It's true, that's how I got married
>>
File: MG_8134.jpg (143KB, 1000x665px) Image search: [Google]
MG_8134.jpg
143KB, 1000x665px
>>4187890

Does this work with the Games Express card? I'd love to play Hi Leg Fantasy... for research purposes.
>>
>>4187774
>most of the early Duos (black ones) have capacitor issues, which I am currently suffering with
Since the first time you mentioned these "issues", you could already fix it, replacing one cap every day.
>>
>>4193264
You big playa.
>>
>>4193460
No, only 2 Super System cards
>>
>>4191235
You can shoot upward in the original arcade game ya dope.
>>
File: 1502412614059.gif (2MB, 448x487px) Image search: [Google]
1502412614059.gif
2MB, 448x487px
>>4193460
>looks up youtube footage of game
Oh wow...
Those damn japs and their perverted shenanigans again.
Too bad they kept this one for themselves, the greedy fucks.
>>
File: fMDBxcy.jpg (40KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
fMDBxcy.jpg
40KB, 640x480px
>>4187702
I want to buy a PC Engine and EverDrive as a birthday gift for myself. Not interested in CD games, I would prefer to emulate those. What's the one to get, Core Grafx I or II? I heard something about one model having better audio.
>>
>>4195697
Exactly the same but with different colors
>>
>>4195697
Same shit. Though Splatterhouse sounds a bit inferior on a Core Grafx II
>>4187702
Get a duo-R or Duo-RX. Regular Duos tend of have faulty caps

Stay away from the following
>White pc engine (RF only and gets yellow)
>Shuttle (no expansion port)
>Supergrafx (looks ugly, exclusives aren't good)
>LT (the other portable, except it has to be plugged in at all times)

NEC made way, way too many versions of add-ons and extensions. The Arcade card was also a waste

It's a great system, weak in certain genres but strong in shooters and RPGs. Selection of Platformers is decent but not SNES level
>>
>>4196000
>>4196220
Thanks, I'll go after either of those models since they're the same. What's a good ac adapter to use in the US? I'm assuming the Japanese ac adapter will run too hot in the US.
>>
>>4196220
>Same shit. Though Splatterhouse sounds a bit inferior on a Core Grafx II
first time I heard this, how come?
>>
>>4196260
genesis model 1
>>
>>4195697
>>4196358
The coregrafx had a CPU revision which fixed a very minor audio issue. (PCE sound was generated entirely by the processor rather than dedicated sound hardware) Apparently the original CPU in the white PCE and shuttle would make popping noises when certain sound levels peaked. As far as I know, the coregrafx is the only model with this CPU; the coregrafx II went back to the original processor. Some of the duos might have the sound fix but I'm not sure.
>>
>>4187842
I actually like Aldynes and Daimakaimura a lot for the SuperGrafx, however I understand with the cost of the system for the 6 additional games. Also know that PC-FX is a whole new ecosystem. The CD card ROM for the Everdrive described by >>4187854 only allows up to Super-CDs, and not the Arcade CDs, but if you go the Duo route for convenience you do not need a CD-ROM boot card as one for the Super-CDs is built in. All the CD-ROM games on the PC-Engine environment are region free, the only restriction is the amount of RAM dictated by the boot card between regular CD-ROM2, Super CD-ROM^2, and Arcade CDs. The card games are not region free, but the Everdrive does allow for the ROMs to be read and has a switch to adjust for the pinout to the console's region. Also >>4193460 reminded me there are some less common bootleg/homebrew games that had their own boot card, typically adult themed games like some strip mahjong games.

>>4195697
>>4199083
I had no idea about the sound issues. Thanks, as this information is every enlightening. So the ideal choice is the blue CoreGrafx?

>>4193495
I have taken the first step to trying to replace the caps, it will take a long time for me to save up but I hope to do it:
>>>4199597

>>4196220
I too thought the SuperGrafx looked ugly with its fake rivets design but I heard from both people I knew which had the system said it a lot better when you own one. I can believe that as I had a poor feeling of the design of the original Xbox, but once I got one, I realized it is very nice and grew to really like it (and got a 2nd). However, I will say not even ownership can save the Shuttle from being saved of its ugly design aesthetics.
>>
>>4200180
>So the ideal choice is the blue CoreGrafx?
All depends on what you want to do. Like I said, the popping is very minor, you wouldn't notice it unless you were listening for it specifically. But if all you're interested in are JP hucards, I'd say it's the best choice. It costs about the same as a white PCE, has the sound fix and has composite out rather than RF. So yeah, it's a good choice.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.