[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just started playing this gem and I'm loving it so far.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

Just started playing this gem and I'm loving it so far. I had heard different things about it, with some people worshipping it and others shitting on the save system, lack of analog controls and difficulty, but none of that bothers me. The controls are extremely tight, overall good graphics, great jumping mechanics, and I love the simple yet deep gameplay. This game is a welcome contrast for something like MK64/Banjo for me, as I always associate those type of games with exploration and puzzle solving, whereas Crash is straight action and reflex. How do you think this game compares to other platformers of the era, or future installments?
>>
File: tawna-sketches.jpg (46KB, 522x480px) Image search: [Google]
tawna-sketches.jpg
46KB, 522x480px
>>4186207
You're losing people with the "gem" bit there, op.

I like these games, the second one specially (too much minigame bullshit in the third), but I always felt they represented a slightly lazy, narrow-minded approach to what 3D had to offer for platformer games. It seemed to me as the 3D was mostly used as wow factor slapped on top of game design concepts that were already stale by then in 2D games (essentially linear level design, death-and-retry checkpoint gameplay, and so on)

The people involved obviously knew what they were doing, but they simply didn't attempt anything particularly new or interesting. They just upgraded existing foolproof ideas with new technology. On hindsight, this kind of projects simply don't feel as memorable or worthwhile.

But again: I do like them, they're good fun.
>>
>>4186207
I prefer its style of platforming over spyro's by a country mile
those boring ass collectathons were the open world garbage of their day
>>
>>4186207

A couple cryptic shit goes on in the 2nd game for gems such as ridiculous backtracking or finding teleports. Don't know what they were thinking with that one ice level where you have to backtrack nearly the entire stage for a bo death stone.
>>
>>4186236

Meh. There's actually a really good series of blog posts by Andy Gavin (Naughty Dog founder/one of Crash's creators) describing how the first game got made.

Basically it was the dawn of the 3D platformer and Mario 64 just didn't exist until a month before the game shipped.

http://all-things-andy-gavin.com/video-games/making-crash/

Seriously like even though the design is just translating 2D platformer design into limited 3D... there was just no other model of how to do a 3D platformer.

Also it turns out just getting Crash to work and look as good as it did was a goddamn programming miracle.

You're right though - Crash 2 is the only one that really holds up today. Less frustrating bullshit from Crash 1 and no fucking shitty bike, jet-ski, underwater or flying levels.
>>
File: IMG_20170813_105726.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170813_105726.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Post yours.

I've been collecting this for a few years now, and I feel like I have a decent set so far
>>
>>4186390
Fuck, didn't mean to rely here
>>
Crash is more an evolution of 2D platforming gameplay into a 3D space, whereas Mario 64 was something completely new. Crash got a lot of flak for not being as revolutionary as SM64, and I can understand that, but as someone who started playing games in the PS1/N64 era, I never gave a shit about how revolutionary they supposedly were. There was nothing mindblowing about 3D "open world" games to me, that was just a thing that some games did.

Taking the Crash games for what they are, without any preconceived notions of what 3D platformers are "supposed" to be, they're pretty good games. They did what they tried to do and it did it well. The first game is really rough in some places, but still fun. 2 Irons out most of the kinks and really expands on the gameplay. Haven't gotten to 3 yet, but I hear it's around the same level of quality as 2.
>>
1>CTR>2>3>shit>>>>>>>>sm64
>>
>>4186503
That's a hot opinion you've got there.
>>
>>4186518
He's right, though.
>>
>>4186503
Oh look, a Sony cockroach unable to post on a Crash thread without exposing his inferiority complex with SM64.

Jumping Flash>Hugo>>>>>>>Trash Bandishit
>>
>>4186617
>hugo
I was about to have a go at your damage control but I can't be mad.
Though sm64 WAS a bit shit, collectathon in the same stage 10 times over.
>>
>>4186617
>Jumping Trash
>good
>>
>>4186236
>You're losing people with the "gem" bit there, op.
>literally the first reply to the thread
Lmao what a faggot. As if you're the arbiter of /vr/'s opinion or some shit. Only an actual autistic person would assert that the use of a word like gem is somehow "losing people", what the fuck are you even trying to say here?
>>
>>4186387
>Mario 64 just didn't exist until a month before the game shipped
Except Mario 64 was released almost half a year before Crash.
Except that Mario 64 had been demonstrated at E3 and places before that.

>there was just no other model of how to do a 3D platformer.
Jumping Flash, even Bug!

>Also it turns out just getting Crash to work and look as good as it did was a goddamn programming miracle
No, it would have been a programming miracle had they got the whole game working in real time. As it stands, half of 3D calculations in Crash are precomputed on a workstation and the other half are computed on the PS1 console. This was a somewhat clever idea, but only half way to just using FMV backgrounds. The only reason they could pull it off is that Crash is a linear corridor game.
>>
>>4186779
>Bug!
yeah, nah
>Except that Mario 64 had been demonstrated at E3 and places before that.
You know, Crash was there at that same E3 too, right?

>This was a somewhat clever idea, but only half way to just using FMV backgrounds.
drawing it in "real-time" results in massive space savings compared to pre-rendering it as an FMV (which they might have honestly gone with if they could, since it'd make the visuals look better)
and then Crash 2 and 3 have far more dynamic cameras while keeping the detail level, letting their method shine

at the time in 1996, it was a technical feat to get the PS1 to draw all of that in 3D, so even if you were just streaming data off the CD and blasting it into the GTE, it was still something quite beyond what other devs were getting out of the system
>>
you know, I recently got into playing this game
any time someone complains about how hard it is to get all stars in SM64, I'm gonna say something like "try getting all the gems, faggot"
>>
>>4186207
I appreciate ND's effort making a really good platformer that plays extremely well and still holds up. I got some cool Crash 1 merch from Dave Siller when he tried to prove himself.

But dear god why are mexicans and people from South America obsessed with this character?
>>
>>4187014
>But dear god why are mexicans and people from South America obsessed with this character?
Probably because the game takes place in a tropical/tribal environment that is similar to south america. That is literally the only reason. South americans are prideful as fuck and they gravitate towards anything they perceive as being similar to themselves, as if they are some pure, proud race. Unfortunately, they neglect to realize that they are mostly a combination of every race on earth and represent no real heritage.
>>
>>4186689
ikr? what a neckbeard alt-right cuck
>>
>>4186503
hilarious how wrong this is
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.