[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk about the holy trinity of gameboy Zelda games.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

File: gameboy zeldas.png (469KB, 515x512px) Image search: [Google]
gameboy zeldas.png
469KB, 515x512px
Let's talk about the holy trinity of gameboy Zelda games. Which one is your favourite? How do you think they hold up against the main series console installments?
>>
LA is GOAT Zelda.
>>
File: zeldaworkforce.jpg (262KB, 700x1000px) Image search: [Google]
zeldaworkforce.jpg
262KB, 700x1000px
These were peak 2D Zelda performance. It all went downhill from there. Minish cap was nice, but didn't quite scratch that ich the way those three did. AlttP on GBA was a port, 4 Swords were no real Zelda games and everything on the DS is a mess. Really, I have to go into that shitty temple with the TIME limit, shoehorned STEALTH MECHANICS and INVINCIBLE ENEMIES AGAIN? AAAARRRRRGHH

Too bad Nintendo focused on the 3D games so much. I know they are popular and rightfully so, the atmosphere and setting is great, but the gameplay is entirely different compared to the 2D games and I could never really get into them. But 3D was the new industry standard, so Nintendo abandoned the classical, satisfying gameplay for polygons and lock on mechanics. Sigh.

There will never be a great 2D Zelda game again. ;__;
>>
>>4185353
>so Nintendo abandoned the classical, satisfying gameplay for polygons and lock on mechanics.
There's been more 2D-style Zelda games made than 3D games since Ocarina of Time. Nine classic Zelda games vs six 3D titles. Cut out Four Swords and there's still more of them.

You can move the goalposts and say that half of them don't count if you want but classic Zelda hasn't gone anywhere.
>>
I had ages and seasons when i was a kid. They are both about equally good desu. Never beat seasons so i guess i like ages better.
>>
>>4185285
Link's Awakening is kino.
>>
>>4185362
I wasn't talking about "2D-Style" games, I was talking about actual 2D games, and Nintendo hasn't made one in a looooong time. Never will again.

Also, none of them can be considered main-line entries of the series. 90% of Nintendos R&D cash for Zelda games flows into the 3D games.
>>
>>4185353
>>4185387
It's not like that's exclusive to Zelda games. The only artists who'll work with pixel based sprites are "indie" developers and it doesn't seem that Nintendo or other companies are going to return to that.

I'm sure that Link Between Worlds for the 3DS doesn't fit your standard either but if they can release more games like that in the future then I'm fine with that. The art will always be different but most of the gameplay (especially controls and aesthetics) is still comparable to older 2D Zeldas.
>>
>>4185492
I haven't played that one, but yeah, from what I've seen, that one actually looked decent, gameplay-wise. Guess I'm just nostalgic for the GBC aesthetic because that's what I grew up with, but you're right, as long as they keep that level of quality, it'll be fine.

But knowing Nintendo, they'll probably find a way to mess it up.

Also I should probably be glad the Oracle games happened at all, seeing how they were released with the GBA already out. Not only that, but we got not just one, but two solid games there. Granted, it's the same engine that uses a lot of the same assets, but it's not just like with the Pokemon games where it's literally the same game just with some part of the content artificially locked away, no, those were individual games with unique dungeons, items, characters, etc.
>>
>>4185285
>DX
Trash.
>>
>>4185730
It's funny because if they released two games like that nowadays everyone would be pissed off about having to buy both games to get the full experience
>>
Pretty good but still ALttP clones, nothing exceptional.
>>
File: 1483932308254.jpg (377KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
1483932308254.jpg
377KB, 1200x630px
>>4185773
>if they released two games like that nowadays
>if
Oh but they did.
>>
>>4185285
LA(DX) is far superior to the oracle crap.
also they patched out all the cool glitches from oracles.
>>
>>4185285
឴ ឴ ឴▲
▲ ▲
>>
>>4185285
Oracle are better
>>
>holy trinity
More like two tires and a diamond
>>
>>4185748
Should I get the original instead? Why?
>>
>>4187237
>>4186160
Why do so many people dislike the oracle games?

Quality was on par with LA.
>>
>>4185492
This.
>>
>>4185748
DX is better in every possible way over the original.
>>
I dislike how the Oracle games removed the iframes you receive from getting hit. The games control better than LA for the most part, but that one change just annoys me a lot more than it should.
>>
>>4185285
The one you didn't post: Link's Awakening.
>>
I don't know, seriously. I like all three differently. While LA has the best story, I love the content in both Oracles more. They seem more filled with stuff to do. There's something about Zelda games, that if they don't include enough sidequest shit for me to do I don't consider them just as good.

But LA is impressive. It's probably my favorite Zelda, including the 3D ones.

I just wish that, just like there's amazing metroid, super mario world and pokemon romhacks, someone made another one of these. I just know there's someone talented enough out there.
>>
>>4187321
Nintendo fanboys usually get pissed everytime someone implies other dev does better.
That's sad since they have to accept the best nintendo game was made by sega.
>>
>>4187651
>the best nintendo game was made by sega
are you out of your mind? what are you even talking about?
>>
>>4187321
there is no bow in the oracle games. real zelda games have bows
>>
>>4187672
He probably got capcom confused for sega.
>>
>>4187742
That's a pretty shitty definition of what makes a Zelda game a Zelda game.

Zelda II didn't have a Bow either, but let me guess, you don't like that one either, you philistine.

"B-but AVGN told me it was bad! Bwaaaaa!"
>>
>>4187782
Ill give zelda 2 and majoras mask a pass.
But seriously, that seed shooter in ages? What the fuck is that shit. Literally impossible to use for anything but shit tier puzzles due to that bouncing mechanic. At least seasons had a slingshot with bow like mechanics
>>
>>4187792
>Literally impossible to use
You point and shoot. Literally the slingshot with 8 directions.
>>
>>4187798
yeah, and if you miss you wait half an hour for it to finish bouncing before you can shoot again
>inb4 git gud
meanwhile LA has both a magic rod and an extremely powerful bow that shoots fucking bomb arrows due to superior glitches.
>>
>>4185285
I'm amazed at how much I loved and adored Awakening and Seasons and how little I liked Ages. I guess the "hub" design of the world didn't resonate with me, I prefer the maze-y worlds. It just felt much, much weaker than the other game boy zeldas. Also, it had some terrible bosses, like the thwomp.
>>
>>4187672
He's probably talking about F-ZERO GX.

>>4185353
Did you play Spirit Tracks, anon? It's a great game, much, MUCH better than Phantom Hourglass.
>>
>>4187807
Well, don't use items you don't like, then. Also, wasn't bomb arrows more of an easter egg? Seems like an unlikely glitch to me.

>>4187820
>Spirit Tracks
No, I've heard Spirit Tracks was better, but I dropped the DS games completely because I was too upset after Phantom Hourglass made me go into the Sea King's temple for the fourth time or so. I really dislike stealth mechanics and did not enjoy them being forced upon me in a Zelda game that way. The time limit certainly didn't help. The controls are actually alright once you get used to them, even though I would have preferred classical button controls, they were not the deal breaker.

>He's probably talking about F-ZERO GX
Really, that one was developed by SEGA? It's probably my favorite racing game of all time and I have to agree they did a stellar job on that one, but still, calling it the "best game" on a Nintendo is a bit of a stretch.
>>
>>4187782
AVGN starts that episode out by saying it's a good game.
>>
>>4187782
How is it to have severe autism and not being able to understand a joke? Is it difficult?
>>
File: please be patient I have autism.jpg (50KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
please be patient I have autism.jpg
50KB, 512x512px
>>4188106
It can be inconvenient in social situations, but all things considered, I can handle life just fine.
>>
>>4187978
>wasnt bomb arrows an easter egg
maybe, nothing was ever confirmed, but considering how broken bombs are in that game it wouldnt surprise me if it was a glitch. still, oracle games have you shoot fucking seeds like a faggot, LA has explosive arrows
>dont use items you dont like
yeah, because thats totally how zelda games work
>>
>>4185285
The Oracle games are far better. LA is the fucking hipster's choice for 2D Zelda.
>>
<This is 2D
>>
File: 359501-zeldaages_001.jpg (36KB, 359x292px) Image search: [Google]
359501-zeldaages_001.jpg
36KB, 359x292px
This top down.
(Well psuedo 3/4, but whatever)

>That is all.
>>
>>4189108
When I was a kid I wanted to fuck that tree.
>>
>>4187340
except the annoying ass unskippable dialogue boxes
>>
>>4185353
>There will never be a great 2D Zelda game again. ;__;
Nigga, what is A Link Between Worlds?
>>
>>4189160
a mediocre game
>>
>>4189160
Looked pretty 3D to me last time I checked.

>>4189104
>>4189108
These are both 2D and if you insist otherwise you might want to see an ophthalmologist rather soon.
>>
>>4185285
The holy trinity that is Minnish, LTTP and LoZ?
Best ones in the series.
>>
>>4189247
Riigght, can't use the old terms anymore.
Too many people forgot.

>"Ancient Gamer" is a dead language.
>>
>>4189112
>oh, sexy tree
>oh, sexy tree
>your ball chin looks so yummy.
>>
>>4189423
>ball chin

or cheek hole.

Same syllables.
>>
>>4185353
>>4187978
>People complaining about Temple of the Ocean King.

Why do people complain about the time limit when Majora's Mask is basically one huge time limit? and why do people complain about stealth there when it was way more annoying in the Forsaken Fortress?

There's safe spots and shortcuts everywhere, and there's so many drops that increase the time limit, the time limit is also very generous.

>>4187820
Spirit tracks is worse than PH. You have less freedom in the overworld. And there's less core Zelda gameplay and more gimmicky stuff in that game. The spirit tower is a direct down grade of the Ocean king temple because there isn't a reason to revisit the temple, it's basically a bunch of different dungeons in the same area. I guess the music is a lot better than PH, but everything else is worse.
>>
>>4189431
>time limit in Majora's Mask
>Forsaken Fortress
Not a fan of the 3D entries, so don't care. Also, both of these had just either the time limit OR the stealth. Being a fan of neither makes for a toxic combination when they shove it down you throat multiple times. Sure there's shortcuts and drops, but repeatedly going through the same shitty dungeon that lacks classic Zelda level design is no fun at all and killed the experience for me.
>>
>>4185285
LA had great music and atmosphere but was the start of the series's slow decline into linear overworld mediocrity

oracles continued the process, it hit rock bottom with minish cap which was the absolute worst (must fulfill overworld events in the exact order, construction blocks alternative routes, etc)

dungeon design in oracles was excellent though
>>
>>4189141
Patches, son.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.