[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some must have GB games? Just dusted my old GBP, wich

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

File: pocket-01.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
pocket-01.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
What are some must have GB games?

Just dusted my old GBP, wich had a screen scratched to hell and back, replaced it and now I want something to play.

I was poor as a kid so my game list is pretty short:

Super Mario Land
Operation C
Pokemon Gold
Ghostbusters II
Pokemon Pinball
Pokemon Yellow
On of those 12 in 1 games

Up on my get list are Super Mario Land 2, Super Mario Land 3 and Donkey Kong.
>>
>>4185131
Donkey Kong is really, really good.

I liked the Megaman gb games. Megaman 2 was my favorite.
Get Zelda Link's Awakening too.
>>
>>4185131
Gargoyles Quest
ff legend
ff adventure

Tetris

Especially Tetris.
>>
>>4185131
Dragon Warrior Monsters is a must
>>
Link's Awakening
>>
>>4185131
Golf
>>
Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 was my favorite platformer as a kid and it still holds up in my opinion
some other games you might like:
Kirby's Dreamland (first kirby game in the series)
Metroid 2
Castlevania 2
Final Fantasy Legend 1-3 (actually the first 3 SaGa games)
>>
>>4185136
Megaman V is the one that is nothing like any NES MM and is really really good.

>>4186261
You have to mention Kirby Dreamland 2 then, its so much better than the first one.

TMNT 2 is quite good
Liked Fortress of Fear alot back in the day
>>
>>4186274
Random question: is a japanese version of Kirbys dreamland 2 playable if you can't read any japanese at all?

I don't imagine there's much text/story in there, and japanese copies seem to be so much cheaper than english ones on ebay.
>>
>>4186284
its like 20 years since I played that game, but I think so, you should be fine. Cant remember lots of text in it, and there should be nothing you cant figure with looking up.
>>
>>4186284
Yeah you'll be fine.
>>
>>4186284
All the kirbys are playable
>>
>>4186436
>>4186382
>>4186459
Awesome thanks! I never get the chance to play it as a child, but the first one was one of my absolute favourites.
>>
>>4185131
links awakening
>>
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

>>4186284
I hope it is, because I found a seller on eBay that sells japanese GB games pretty cheap.

No for the RPGs I'm not sure if blowing up the money or getting chines fakes.
>>
>>4187247
Keep an eye out for some obvious mistakes on the cartridge. They often say "GAME" instead of "nintendo gameboy" at the top.

Some more subtle things are how raised the gameboy text is, and how deep the arrow at the bottom is. Those things are a little harder to see on ebay pictures.

The sticker can be a big giveaway sometimes as well, with fakes having really badly placed stickers that are very clearly wonky.
>>
>>4187418
I meant intentionally getting fakes.

Stuff like Kid Dracula costs over 60 bucks while a fake is like 5.
>>
File: game boy light.png (176KB, 456x369px) Image search: [Google]
game boy light.png
176KB, 456x369px
Don't wanna hijack this thread or anything, but which version of the gameboy handheld (specifically GB, I already have an advance and a GBC) is best?

GB Pocket like OP has looks very nice, but I'm also interested in maybe getting a Gameboy Light. What's the battery like on those?
>>
>>4187450
>What's the battery like on those?
If you get rechargeable AAA batteries that should not be a concern. (yes those exist but you have buy the charger as well).
Also, I don't understand why you would go through the trouble of getting an original GB when you already have a GBA, which is probably the best way to play any GB game. I guess if you simply want to complete your collection that's fine, but like I said the best way to play any GB game is in a GBA SP.
>>
>>4187247
Fan translated fakes are common on AliExpress for anywhere from $2-6, and are pretty rad if you don't feel like paying the krikzz tax for a flashcart.
>>
>>4187450
you're better off getting a gameboy color and front lighting the screen yourself.
>>
>>4187450
GB Pocket is my personal favorite for form-factor and slightly larger screen. I've never cared for the GBC. GB Light is super cool, but due to age and the screens being potential time-bombs, they're not really worth the price. Also the standard version (not a magazine limited editition etc) only came in silver and gold which look pretty gross worn away and beat up as many of them are now.
>>
>>4188856
>Fan translated fakes are common on AliExpress for anywhere from $2-6
not that guy but are you saying you can get fake games for that price? where can I get them?!
>>
I would also add:

Mole Mania
Kid Dracula
Trax (short but cute)
Super Mario Land 2
>>
>>4187450
Get a GB pocket. The screen is a huge improvement from the original GB, being larger, and much clearer.
There's also a kind of texture to it, which to me, creates the effect of the games being projected onto paper.
>>
>>4188991
>on ALIExpress
>Where can I get them?!
learn to read
>>
OP here, so far my purchase list consist of:

>Jap games
Kirby's Dream Land 1-2
Super Mario Land 2-3
Donkey Kong
Mario's Picross
Tetris
Dr. Mario
Flipull

>Chinese fakes
Pokemon Yellow
MGS Ghost Babel
Kid Dracula
Zelda Link's Awakening
Mega Man IV
Gargoyles Quest II
Metroid II

And considering how the list is growing the option of putting an AGS-101 screen on my GBA and getting an EZ Flash IV becomes interesting.
>>
>>4189491
Be careful with fakes. I have heard of people having issues where they can't save
>>
it's amazing how casual the recommendations are on threads for nintendo systems
>>
>>4189557
Then why don't you suggest something better?
>>
Darkwing Duck is really good, although I dont know how it holds up to the NES version, never played it. Same with Ducktales.

Wario Blast is fun.
>>
>>4185131
Donkey Kong Land series
Wario Land 1 and 2
Zelda LA
Pokemon trading card game

These are all generic as fuck choices but they are all genuinely pretty good
>>
>>4185131
Kirby's Dreamland 2 is great too, the peak of the dreamland series
>>
>>4185131

Survival Kids
>>
can you suck my DICC
>>
>>4189557
>All these great games are for casual plebs because everyone likes them
>This obscure game is for patricians, sure it's not that great, but not many people know about it therefore it's better!
>>
>>4189557
>>4189597

But im genuinely interested, what are like hidden gems on the Gameboy, since I dont know them. I know most of them on NES and SNES but never got that deep in the library of the Gameboy.
>>
>>4187450
Not good as you imagination.
It use normal AA batteries better then AAA in GBP but Power run out very fast if you open the light.
It use same LCD screen with GBP make It have motion blur when play platform game.
Even it have front light on LCD screen but it only help you see white pixel, black pixel still want right angle of eye sight to see it.
Most problem fixed in GBC but I think play on GBASP(bright) is the best way for eye health
>>
Everdrive-GB
>>
>>4188839
rechargeable AAA batteries exist? no fuckin way
>>
>>4188839
>If you get rechargeable AAA batteries that should not be a concern. (yes those exist but you have buy the charger as well).
You say this like it's some great revelation. rechargeable AAA have been around for a long time, and any half decent charger will charge AA and AAA
>>
>>4189741
Holly shit
>>
>>4185131
The Bonk games
Legend of the River King
>>
>>4189616
Here are some gems that haven't been mentioned yet:
Bubble Ghost (cute, unique)
Mercenary Force (unique shmup)
Motocross Maniacs (challenging bike platformer)
Balloon Kid (sequel to balloon fight!)

>>4189491
Since you seem to like puzzle games as well, here are a few slightly obscure ones you may have missed or overlooked:
Kwirk & Amazing Tater (more complex Sokoban)
Cyraid (weird)
Daedalian Opus (charming and hard)
Lock 'n Chase (better than the arcade version)
Amazing Penguin (fun arcade puzzle/action)
>>
>>4190163
thx. There also was ashmup game on Gameboy I remember where you was a tank. A quite cartoony one, but it was challenging and sweet. Anyone got an idea?
>>
>>4190301
Ah, got it, its Trax.

I also remember the Zen: Intergalactic Ninja game to be good. Well it is a Konami game.
>>
File: 41X3B28XR7L.jpg (26KB, 500x414px) Image search: [Google]
41X3B28XR7L.jpg
26KB, 500x414px
On a related topic to OPs thread: What are the best games for the GBA?
>>
Dr. Mario
>>
I don't know why people rush into these threads to recommend games that everybody and their brother has already played. OP could simply Google top-selling GB games instead of having to wait for replies.

Off the top of my head, a few somewhat lesser known games to take into consideration:

- Bomberman series. There's a surprising number for the GB. Every one of them is worth picking up. There's a Bomberman Collection that's exclusive to Japan, and it's not terribly expensive on eBay. It contains Bomber Boy / Atomic Punk, the original NES Bomber Man in a slightly watered down form, Bomberman GB / Wario Blast, and Bomberman GB 2.

- Tetris variants and other GB puzzle games. Tetris 2 and Tetris Blast are a couple that come to mind. If you like shooters, there's also Quarth, a hybrid puzzle-shooter title. They're all very affordable.

- Gargoyle's Quest. I guess it gets recommended a lot, but not that many people actually played it when it was released, so it's something of a hidden gem that later became well-known. It plays like Mega Man, but you play as a gargoyle trying to defend the underworld from a hostile takeover.

- Ultima: Runes of Virtue. Loosely based on the Ultima series. They're action RPGs vaguely similar to Zelda. You run around dungeons ridden with traps and puzzles as you try to recover various runes. The games look incredibly cheesy at first glance, but they're highly addictive once you get into them.
>>
>>4185131
donkey kong 94
gameboy camera
game & watch gallery 2&3
gradius
harry potter 1&2 (gbc only)
kirby's dreamland 1&2
kirby's pinball land
links awakening (dx if gbc)
megaman 3-5
metroid 2
pokemon red or blue or yellow
pokemon gold or silver (crystal if gbc)
pokemon pinball
pokemon tcg
survival kids
zelda oracles (gbc only)
the wario lands

>>4190565
not retro but
advance wars 1&2
astro boy omega factor
drill dozer
ffta
fire emblem
kirby
mario kart
mario vs dk
megaman zero 1-4
metal slug
metroids
mother 3
pokemon emerald
pokemon pinball rs
rhythm heaven
wario land 4
>>
>>4185131
get wario land 2, it works on the original game boy

that handheld (and the GBA too) is really full of hidden gems though, shame my parents didn't know much about video games and just bought me shovelware all the time
>>
>>4190972
You seem to know your stuff, thanks for the recommendations.

Any opinion on Sonic Advance?

i've been watching videos on youtube, and on the one hand it does look pretty fun, but on the other hand I just can't get over a 2d sonic, with the more modern design.
>>
>>4188991
aliexpress.com

search like, gb game card or something like that. Using AE takes practice to figure out the search terms, but it's worth it. I got Last Bible II in english, it was cool.
>>
Double Dragon
Nettou King of Fighter games, but I think it's hard to find any
>>
>>4185131
I will add Mortal Combat II , because unlike other beatém ups for the GB it is actually a decent game. Mortal Combat I , Streetfighter II and the Double Dragon games for GB are shit, gameplay wise.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.