[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>too big >no select button >only four frontal buttons

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 7

File: dc.jpg (15KB, 325x326px) Image search: [Google]
dc.jpg
15KB, 325x326px
>too big
>no select button
>only four frontal buttons
>ONLY ONE ANALOGUE STICK WHEN DUAL SHOCK WAS ALREADY A STANDARD
>cable is downside
>VMU literally useless because battery

WHAT-WHERE-THEY-THINKING
>>
>dual stick was already a standard.
No it wasn't. Nearly the entire library of PS1 games didn't even use the second stick.

Besides DC had keyboard and mouse support for FPS.
>>
>>4181184
>too big
>implying it needed one
>it was enough
>might fell akward on this controller
>atleast it isn't too short
>mine still work
>>
>>4181184
San Francisco RUSH
>>
>>4181184
You forgot to mention how cramped the L and R buttons are.
>>
>>4181184
>>4181191
only four face buttons is a valid complaint, especially considering all the capcom fightans in the dc library and yeah cable was fucking cancer otherwise it was pretty good
>>
I just wished the buttons were a little more rounded off. I remember giving myself a lot of pain and blisters playing Soul Calibur.
>>
I'm so glad September is almost here, we won't be seeing threads like this for a while.
>>
File: download (5).jpg (5KB, 272x185px) Image search: [Google]
download (5).jpg
5KB, 272x185px
Best controller here
>>
>>4181213
id say saturn, but genesis controller is really good
>>
>>4181216

any tips on repairing old genesis controllers that have become less responsive?
>>
>>4181184

dreamcast controller was great, idk why you're complaining unless you didn't live through that era
>>
>>4181184
>WHEN DUAL SHOCK WAS ALREADY A STANDARD

nvm i forgot it's summer
>>
File: mind_blown.jpg (251KB, 1544x1544px) Image search: [Google]
mind_blown.jpg
251KB, 1544x1544px
>mfw cable complaints
You do know SEGA thought of that right?

Right?
>>
>>4181184
Sega should've stayed third-party. They wouldn't have crashed themselves or put out embarrassing designs like pause on console, only 3 buttons on Genesis pads, overly complicated and bad at 3D with the Saturn, and all the other shitty stuff they ever produced. But as a videogame maker they are pretty good at least.
>>
File: Sega-Saturn-3D-Controller.jpg (2MB, 1940x2220px) Image search: [Google]
Sega-Saturn-3D-Controller.jpg
2MB, 1940x2220px
i always thought it was a downgrade from the Nights 3D controller
>>
File: SJ6000back.jpg (18KB, 467x257px) Image search: [Google]
SJ6000back.jpg
18KB, 467x257px
>>4181213
You made a mistake anon, here's the fix
>>
>>4181397
Too small, gives me cramp. Also, very few games actually need the 6 buttons.

The latest revision 3 buttons have the same d-pad anyhow.
>>
>>4181198
But you can use the triggers as 5th 6th button
>>
>>4181373
No because theyve never actually seen a dreamcast
>>
>>4181184
Dualshock only became standard with the release of the PS2. But yes, I do agree, the dreamcast controller was fucking horrible.
>>
>>4181184
Honestly the only gripe I have is that both the analog stick and the Dpad feel weird for fighting games, but everything else feels fine
I guess the triggers could use small adjusting, but that's really it
>>
>>4181213
Still looks so good.
>>
>>4181373
Yes but it makes the cable much shorter, twists the lowest part of the cable in a funny way, and is generally a disaster.

Source: had a Dreamcast back then, stopped doing it after two days
>>
>>4181374
>only 3 buttons on Genesis pads
It was more than any other console when it got released
>>
Ape Escape came out really close to the Dreamcas's release date and that was the inception of the Dual Shock so no
>>
File: SaturnPad.jpg (358KB, 1138x692px) Image search: [Google]
SaturnPad.jpg
358KB, 1138x692px
>>4181213
Counter point
>>
people need to stop acting like the controller was one of the reasons why the dreamcast failed. they could have easily released an updated controller.
>>
>>4181184
>ONLY ONE ANALOGUE STICK WHEN DUAL SHOCK WAS ALREADY A STANDARD

Dual Shock wasn't a standard until the PS2, and the Dreamcast predated that by three years.

PSX may have had Dual Shock, but games only ever used 1 analog stick. Maybe a handful few used both sticks only, some were even criticized for it (Alien Resurrection).

>cable is downside

This is actually pretty comfy. If the cable for the controller is very long (Saturn and DC controllers had extremely long cords iirc), then the cable can often hit your fingers that sit on the shoulder buttons.
You can also just pull the cord from the shelf where you store the controllers on, and you'll pull them face first, so you can grab on to them directly without needing to rotate them.

Also, it was on the bottom so you can hold the controller in front of you, and check the VMU without taking your eyes off the screen (the screen is behind the controller, you only have to change focus). If the cord is on the top, then it would cover part of the screen.

It's actually pretty well thought out, and works well. It was maybe the one single thing I really liked on the DC controller.

And regardless of all of that, there's a prong on the back of the controller that you can use to route the cable on the back.
>>
>>4181184

The thing I hated the most about the Dreamcast was that the D-pad was absolute torture do use. I don't know how anyone managed to play fighting games with that thing.
>>
>>4181213
This one has the huge problem of there being 4-5 different internals for them. Some of them are great, some are horrid. Some of them have nice long cords, some are uselessly short.

The 6 button pad ended up being uncomfortably small and having a short cord too. And it was very widely counterfeited, even back in the day I remember having a bootleg one with the fake connector box instead of the moulded rubber one.

Saturn pad fixed all those issues though. If it had a Select button, it would've been perfect.
>>
>>4181559
6 button suk
But the joystick was good
>>
>>4181473
>twists the lowest part of the cable in a funny way

Don't pull it so close, leave it some wiggle room. Then it won't break the cord.
>>
>>4181559
>The 6 button pad ended up being uncomfortably small and having a short cord too
Isn't that just the Japanese version of it?
>>
>>4181494
This one is the best to this day
I have an imitation USB version that I use for emulation. It's perfect. Never liked the GAY four button diamond layout of SNES pads.
>>
>>4181557
I did. It was quite bad indeed. I actually switched to the analog stick from time to time, and I focused on my footsies, reaction time and normal moves instead of spamming too many circle moves.
>>
>>4181562
But sometimes you just needed that extra length of cord, especially for multiplayer games in a crowded room.
>>
>>4181184
At least it's still more universal than the 64 and gamecube controllers.
>>
>>4181184
>too big
yeah
>no select button
sega never had that
>only 4 face buttons
actual problem
>only one stick
1998 release, dualshock wasn't a standard yet (in fact, it was brand new at the time)
>cable goes down
actually kind of retarded
>VMU battery
actually fucking retarded

mostly right, but it looks cool as shit
actual complaints you forgot are
>d-pad kind of sucks and is hard like a rock
>buttons are a bit small
>stick grip sucks
>stick placement is too high

>>4181373
it pinches the cable badly (both at the bend and where it clips on) and makes it shorter
it's a stupid last minute hackjob they did

>>4181374
>pause on console
was standard until the famicom, console was typically right next to the player rather than closer to the TV
>3 button on Genesis pad
one more than both of its competitors in 1988 (two whole years before the Nintendo put a ton of buttons on their machine)
>Saturn 3D
actual stupidity at Sega -- they were designing a machine to beat the 3DO at 3D performance (seriously) while still banking on 2D games remaining popular
for whatever reason, they designed the chip in-house despite multiple offers from 3D board companies
the one thing that actually kills Saturn 3D more than anything else is no hardware T&L (enjoy calculating Gouraud shading vertex colors on the CPU with any remotely complicated scene)
>other shitty stuff
there's basically just the Sega CD (expensive, doesn't add much) and the 32X (worst possible timing, but not fundamentally a bad idea, people were actually excited for it at the time and were disappointed with the low quality and quantity of releases)
game gear sold okay (best non-Nintendo handheld until PSP)
and that's it

also, assuming they didn't fuck up with the Saturn, being a home manufacturer would have massively helped when arcade revenues died (although, Sega was one of the few that still brought in big bucks in the late 90s/early 2000s when other former big arcade companies stopped releasing stuff)
>>
>DUAL SHOCK
Found the sonypony. Dual analog wasn't standard until 2002. 90% of the PS1's library didn't even use the second stick outside of very rudimentary camera control that usually managed to be worse than Super Mario 64's camera.
Every other piece of your criticism is legitimate except for the fact that SEGA never used a select button.
>>
>>4181725
>the one thing that actually kills Saturn 3D more than anything else is no hardware T&L
Technically the Saturn does have a DSP which can accelerate T&L matrices. The problem is that barely any games used it due to the way Sega set it up.
>>
If the Dreamcast hadn't died so soon would it have seen a controller revision to match the competition's two analog sticks? I can't even imagine how most multiplat 6th gen games would play on it.

>>4181684
If we're talking 6th gen the only thing the GCN controller is missing is a bumper and select button. Dreamcast is missing both bumpers, a select button, and a second analog stick.
>>
>>4181184
>too big
Your hands must be too small. It fits perfectly into my hands.

>no select button
Select buttons are useless.

>Only one analogue stick
So? We're only suppose to move the character, not control the camera.

>cable is downside
This isn't an issue.

>VMU literally useless because battery
Buy a new battery.
>>
4 face buttons is basically standard you plen.
>>
>>4181213
Why do so many people love the genesis controller so much? That d-pad hurts my thumb so bad. Do I have a wrong model or something?
>>
>>4181795
Because it's cool, stylish and feels comfortable. Unlike the NES or SNES controller. Never had my thumb hurt by the D-Pad. Maybe you're pressing too hard.
>>
>>4181350
take em apart, inspect the contact pads, use 91% isopropyl alcohol to clean the contacts on the board, inspect the solder joints and redo the ones that look poor. Consider getting new contact pads if the ones you have are very worn.
>>
>>4181184
They were thinking many things but none of those were what tweens in the summer of 2017 would shitpost about the controller.
>>
>>4181184
>only four frontal buttons
This was deliberate choice as they'd had complaints about the 6 gave buttons as being too many.
From whom and why? I dunno. I'm assuming parents or something.
They should've done something about the VMU battery, it only lasted 3 months or so, and the beep noise when you out one in without the battery was bloody annoying.
The rest of the issies aren't that big of a deal. There was a sweet Saturn style controller you could buy. The cables were long and the controller gave us the awesome boat form for Sonic Racing Transformed.
I did kill some triggers on mine with Crazy Taxi though.
Good times! :D
>>
What's the best way to play Dreamcast backups? I don't have a CD/DVD burner.
>>
>>4181184
>>ONLY ONE ANALOGUE STICK WHEN DUAL SHOCK WAS ALREADY A STANDARD
Dual Shock was not the "standard" yet. Playstation was the only system that had a controller with two sticks when Dreamcast came out, and even then they were still fairly optional.
>>
>>4182546
Not only that, but Sony would refuse to license any PS1 game incompatible with the original controller, the one without the sticks. Ape Escape had to get special permission. Not even Time Crisis got special permission.
>>
File: joypad.gif (136KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
joypad.gif
136KB, 800x800px
>>4182546
>Dual Shock was not the "standard" yet
Yeah, but dual stick was obviously the future
Not crappy VMU with retarded duration
>>
>>4182742
Dreamcast is gen 5.5 you dumb newfag.
>>
>>4182756
>Dreamcast is gen 5.5
AAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
>I-IT'S NOT 6 OR 5, I-IT'S 5.5
>Y-YOU CAN'T JUDGE THE DC
>Y-YOU NEWFAG
Please stop, it's embarassing
>>
>>4182761
>>4182756
These same Dreamcast faggots never give the 3DO or Atari Jaguar a 4.5 GENERATION bullshit badge
>>
>>4181213
>>4181397
>>4181494
>Concave buttons
Trash.
>>
>>4182756
>Dreamcast is gen 5.5 you dumb newfag.
There is no such thing as "gen 5.5". It was the first sixth gen console, this is not a debate. Moreover, the FACT remains that the dualshock had existed since 1997 and anyone who wasn't blatantly autistic would be able to see that dual analog was the future. You're welcome to like the Dreamcast despite its faults, I know I do, but don't be an apologist for shit design and pretended that it wasn't a retarded move on the part of Sega.
>>
>>4182815
>anyone who wasn't blatantly autistic would be able to see that dual analog was the future
Hahaha.

The second stick was considered by the gaming community at the time to be an utterly pointless addition for anything but mech games. People were making jokes that Sony added two sticks only because Nintendo's controller had one so they had to go "one better".
>>
What's with the ammount of /v/ threads recently?
>>4182824
>People were making jokes that Sony added two sticks only because Nintendo's controller had one so they had to go "one better".
I remember that. It's pretty easy to go
>it was obviously the futureeeeee
in 2017, with no context of the era.
>>
>>4182824
>The second stick was considered by the gaming community at the time to be an utterly pointless addition for anything but mech games
AAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>Segafags, we rewrite history
I suppose then Nintendo and Microsoft we're fucking retarded to make Joypad with dual analog
Let's face it, DCpad was THE ONLY controller with one analog stick after the dual shock
>>
>>4182840
>Let's face it, DCpad was THE ONLY controller with one analog stick after the dual shock

Gee, maybe because DC came out only 1 year after Dualshock, while Gamecube and Xbox came out 4 years later? You fucking twat.
>>
Let 6th gen babies in they said, we will be perfectly fine they said.
>>
>>4182848
>Gee, maybe because DC came out only 1 year after Dualshock
It came out literally TWO years after the dual analog, SEGA was simply retarded (as usual)
>>
>>4182857
Name a single game that, in 1998, used the second stick in a relevant way.
>>
>>4182851
DC is 6th generation, so shut the fuck up or let's ban all the DC thread on /vr/
>>
>>4182860
>hurr durr 1998
let's say this, dual analog have become the standard
Who was the retarded company, SEGA or SONY?
>>
>>4182870
So you can't, therefore it wasn't 'obvious it was the future'. Glad we could sort this out. You can go back to /v/ now.
>>
>>4182875
>So you can't, therefore it wasn't 'obvious it was the future'.
If you was alive back then you know only one analog was retarded, now get back to school toddler

The DC controller was always shit, even in 1998, Capcom and SNK even released official joypad 'cause the lack of buttons
>>
>>4181354
>>4181727
>>4182269
>>4182756
>>4182798
>>4182851
Cancer
>>
>>4182518
Get a CD/DVD burner
>>
>>4182756
>gen 5.5
Nope. It was definitely a 6th gen console, whether you want to accept it or not.
>>
>>4181824
Not him, but the Mega Drive d-pad was painful on me, too. The edges are too sharp, playing fighting games is a torture. SNES had soft edges and no diagonals on your way.
>>
>>4181198
Don't forget the Saturn 3D controller the DC controller was based off of had 6 face buttons. There is no excuse to limit the DC controller to only 4.
>>
Reported.
Not Retro.
>>
>>4181184
>>too big
I liked it. I had big hands, even as a kid, so the controller felt more comfortable than other controllers.
>>
>>4183254
The majority of modern controllers only have 4 face buttons. Besides Dreamcast had two trigger buttons, so what's the issue?
>>
>>4183505
>The majority of modern controllers only have 4 face buttons. Besides Dreamcast had two trigger buttons, so what's the issue?
The issue is the total number of the buttons
Only five digital (including start) and two analog (useless for fighting games)
>>
>>4181184
They were thinking that they wanted to make an updated N64 controller, which was considered the most modern controller at the time, having introduced analog controls and rumble. Double analogs were far from the standard; the Dreamcast was released in Japan just a few months after the dualshock was released. Even after that most games either didn't use the dualshock analogs or made them optional, assuming that most people still only had the basic playstation controllers. Games that used double-analog for controls were a novelty. Someone can probably link that one review of that Aliens game that actually had twin-stick controls and the reviewer knocked it points for having such a "bizarre" control scheme.

At the time there was no reason to think a system needed or should have two analog sticks. It's clear that the Dreamcast controller was designed around the N64's controller, with the analog stick, slots for memory cards, single start button in the center, etc.

The Dreamcast controller also introduced analog triggers which most people don't give it credit for.

The Dreamcast was an excellent controller at the time. Let me hit you with some valid complaints from someone who had a Dreamcast on launch:

-Controller is a bit small (OP must be a manlet or a child)
-Only four face buttons is a valid complaint.
-Both the analog stick and d-pad are mushy. The analog stick has a large deadzone and low sensitivity.
-The face buttons have weird sharp braille-like bumps on them that dig into your thumb.
>>
>>4183526
Isn't the Z trigger on the N64 controller analog?
>>
>>4183526
>The Dreamcast controller also introduced analog triggers which most people don't give it credit for.

Nah. Saturn 3D controller had them years earlier.
>>
>>4182860
Virtual On. :^)
>>
>>4183254
>always wanted a 6 face/4 shoulder controller
>we stopped at 4 face/4 shoulder instead
>>
>>4183580
Nope
>>
>>4181373
No one actually used this though. The cord was a terrible placement point blank period
>>
>>4181184
>>ONLY ONE ANALOGUE STICK WHEN DUAL SHOCK WAS ALREADY A STANDARD
Playstation didn't have analogue controllers out of the box. The Dual Shock was a seperately sold addon that you just did not need to play anything, so most players wouldn't bother with. Sega only really had the N64 controller to compete with in the analogue realm.
>>
>>4184363
>No one actually used this though
I used this.
>>
>>4181473
>Yes but it makes the cable much shorter,
No it doesn't. The cable still travels in the exact same direction as it does when it's loose, but instead of going straight down and then forward, it's just going straight forward. At most you would be losing an inch of cable, if that.
>>
>>4181184
this controller sucked
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.