[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come Zelda II was the only LoZ game to have a dedicated jump

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

How come Zelda II was the only LoZ game to have a dedicated jump button from the start? Did Miyamoto just not understand how to do platforming from a non-sidescrolling perspective?
>>
File: alexsama.jpg (91KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
alexsama.jpg
91KB, 960x960px
>top-down platforming
>>
>>4179567
Shit controller design forced jumps to be automatic.

It was an elegant solution to a problem that didn't need to exist.
>>
>>4179570
Just because not many have done it right doesn't mean the concept is bad altogether.
StarTropics for instance pulled it off pretty well...
>>
>>4179592
It works because Star tropics' controls are more stiff, the platforming feels more like puzzle instead of action.
Zelda's controls are faster. Not saying it couldn't have been pulled off, Link's Awakening implemented it in neat ways (I wish they experimented more with the pegasus boots+roc's feather combination though), but the core of Zelda gameplay doesn't really require jumping.
In Zelda II it's understandable because it has side-scrolling segments.
>>
>>4179596
Well, i'm not OP and my post wasn't really towards implementing them in Zelda.
The post I replied to just felt like it denounced top-down platforming as a whole.
Of course it needs to be implemented correctly and it doesn't fit every concept.
>>
>>4179583
Did you like the master system?
>>
>>4179598
>try playing Alundra and get back to us on how the platforming is.
Pretty bad.
>>
just FYI Breath of the Wild has a jump button.
>>
It was early in the NES/Famicom's life. He probably wanted to try something new. Test the waters an all that.
I wouldn't mind another one. Part 2 was awesome.
>>
>>4179570
Feels pretty natural in Crusader of Centy. Hell, even in Link's Awakening.
>>
>Why doesn't Mario have a gun?
>Why can't Megaman shoot up?
>Why can't Samus crawl?
>>
>>4180741
>Why did your mother not abort you?
>>
>>4179567
You can jump backwards in OOT, why didnt they just do that forward?
>>
>>4183232
Because it's meant to be a *combat* movement ability. If that counts to you, why wouldn't Link's jump slash attack count as a forward jump?
>>
>>4179959
tbf trying to apply platforming mechanics to a top-down perspective is gonna lead to a fuckslew of awkward results in general. Even the the aforementioned StarTropics felt really awkward when it came to the platforming aspect at times.

>>4180736
>Feels pretty natural in Crusader of Centy.
ehhh... LA is something of a counterargument however, but even that that can have it's moments.
>>
>>4179567
>only
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.