[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

serious question, how did sega, a company that was at the verge

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 12

File: dreamcast.jpg (230KB, 1337x1754px) Image search: [Google]
dreamcast.jpg
230KB, 1337x1754px
serious question, how did sega, a company that was at the verge of bankruptcy, make one of the greatest consoles of all time?
>>
>>4177632
>One of the greatest consoles of all time
>Not even as good as the other three consoles from the same generation
>>
>>4177632
Because desperation inspires innovation.
High Risk High Reward.
May we move on now?
>>
>>4177716
>>4177638
announcing sage violates the rules you stupid newfags. if only someone would report these posts
>>
This shit again?

Report guys, move along
>>
>>4177632
it amazes me how fondly people remember this failed console, I remember the sentiments at the time being extremely negative
>>
>>4177757
>if only someone would report these posts
Hahahaha nice copout, announcing reports is also against the rules
>>
>>4177632
I didn't know they were on the verge of bankruptcy when the Genesis was released
>>
>>4177769
this

even the n64 was a better console

Sonic Adventure is trash and shenmue is fucking boring
>>
>>4177757
Name 1 logical reason why you shouldn't be allowed to have the word sage in your post.
>>
>>4177880
M00t is a fucking faggot.
>>
>>4177872
>Calling Sonic Adventure trash
>Calling Shenmue boring
>filthy casual confirmed
How long have you been cucking for Nintendon't for & how much are they paying you?
>>
>>4177769
People fondly remember the Dreamcast because of the great games that were on it, the VMU, the stylish look of the Dreamcast & the fact that it was way ahead of it's time. It was The Beatles of gaming.
>>
>>4177890
It's more on hiroshima now though, he's also a humongous fagget
>>
>>4177769
>>4177872
samefag
>>
>>4177872
Dreamcast has an objectively more varied and impressive library than the n64, unless you're a fucking casual, which you are
>>
File: eric-cartman-sega-dreamcast[1].jpg (19KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
eric-cartman-sega-dreamcast[1].jpg
19KB, 400x300px
>>4177769
You remember wrong
>>
File: angsty priest.jpg (160KB, 800x1059px) Image search: [Google]
angsty priest.jpg
160KB, 800x1059px
I'm beginning to think we should just have a Dreamcast general. This thread topic keeps get posting over and over again. This is at least the third or fourth today alone.
>>
>>4177897
>s-samefag!
>unique posters went up
god fucking damn I hope summer ending takes care of you newfags
>>
>>4178065
no
>>
>>4177890
wrong
>>
>>4178097

He is at least bi-curious.

t. knower
>>
>>4178087
Yeah, you do. Dreamcast was elevated to near Messianic proportions at launch and for quite some time afterward until the PS2 bulldozed it. If you remember people having extremely negative sentiments toward it then your memories aren't retro.
>>
>>4178084
>t. samefag
>>
>>4178128
greentexting wrong. lol
>>
>>4178116
maybe in europe. I distinctly remember my friends making fun of and talking nothing but shit about the dreamcast, especially when everyone was looking forward to the ps2
>>
Emulates NES, GB/C games, most Mega Genesis games, has a good Quake 1 port (no source though?) and god knows what other homebrew alongside the Dreamcast greats made it number one in my heart.
>>
>>4178152

Dreamcast was how I played most SNES games. DreamSNES can run just about everything bar a few exceptions like Yoshi's Island.
>>
>>4178156
>snes games on dc
>with that disgusting dpad
HOW?
>>
>>4178156
>DreamSNES can run just about everything bar a few exceptions like Yoshi's Island.

Not up to my standards though. It definitely couldn't hit 60 on most games, hell even Earthbound. Though Tales of Phantasia miraculously could, so I heard.

There was SNES4ALL years later which I never got to fully try out.
>>
>>4178157

I developed a good thumb callous from playing fighting games on Dreamcast. It's not a bad d-pad, it's just sharp.
>>
File: s-l1000[1].jpg (54KB, 750x499px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000[1].jpg
54KB, 750x499px
>>4178138
It's possible your limited social group was Sony loyalists but the Dreamcast was very very popular for its first two years.
>>
>>4178163

Well this was the early 00s, back before FPS OCD
>>
>>4178116
>>4178138
>>4178169

anecdotal evidence doesn't prove it one way or the other but I'm going to back up gramps by saying everyone I knew was losing their shit over the Dreamcast around its release. I remember my brother even got one on release.
>>
>>4178198
By any 20th century metrics, Dreamcast should have been a guaranteed success. It sold more units faster than any console before it (and more than any other non-Playstation since)

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Biggest_game_system_launches
>>
>>4178183
>back before FPS OCD

FPS OCD was around before then.
>>
>>4178221
>FPS OCD was around before then
No it wasn't. Back then it was all about graphics. No one notices FPS problems because there was none. But everyone notices load times.
>>
>>4178861
>No one notices FPS problems because there was none

UT99 and Q3 ran like crap in 4-player splitscreen (Q3 was good enough to lower graphics settings for multiplayer) and, even though it was towards the end of the DC's lifespan, Half-Life's port mediocre framerate may also have been one of the factors of its delays and cancellation. So, not really.
>>
>>4177769

I remember that at the time no one cared for it. People praised sonic adventure and crazi taxi but that was it. Soon the ps2 came out and the dreamcast was forgotten imediately
>>
>>4177891

not him, but Shenmue is boring as hell

>>4178006

More variety? maybe. More quality? hell no. It was a dumpground for experimental games and japanese trash.
>>
>>4178986
To a casual who may enjoy games like Call Of Duty & action games, of course it's going to be boring. But to someone like me who has enjoyed Yu Suzuki's work for many years, Shenmue is his best creation & I enjoy it.
>>
>>4178974
>4 player split screen
>Half Life
Ah...I don't play a lot of shooters & I don't do multi-player unless it's online. So many that's why I never notice FPS issues.
>>
>>4178974

Half Life cancellation is probably more to do with the abysmal loading times (worse than Soldier of Fortune) and the fact that the game takes up an entire VMU to save.
>>
>>4179349
>abysmal loading times
This may be due to unoptimized disc layout rather than any flaw in the port itself.
>takes up an entire VMU to save
This is a legitimate issue.
>>
>>4177632
Because they weren't really near bankruptcy when the Dreamcast came out, yes they lost tons of money on the Saturn but they were turning profits in the arcades and on Japanese hardware. Dreamcast did poorly in Japan at first and Sega lost some more money, luckily for them they spent next to nothing on R&D for it. Also, remember that in 1998, Shenmue had yet to reach completion and you can imagine most of it's $70m budget was spent on DC development.
>>
>mfw twice now i have run into random vaporwave-lovers/genderfluids ranting to me that the Dreamcast is the greatest console of all time that blew Nintendo out of the water

What did they mean by this?
>>
Is there anything notable at all about the Dreamcast hardware beyond the games made for it?
>>
>>4177769
I don't remember anyone being particularly negative, just more like why buy that when ps2 is out in a few months? The way 32x and Saturn were handled lost a lot if customers and their faith in the company.
>>
>>4178157
Saturn pad adaptor.
>>
>>4180596
Yes. The Dreamcast's GPU used the tile-based deferred rendering technique which was very rare at that time and quite special. Basically your typical GPU draws one pixel at a time and writes it immediately to RAM. Dreamcast's GPU would perfect a tile (a set of 32x32) by drawing to it over and over until it's finished, and ONLY when the tile is completely finished is it written to RAM. It's an extremely efficient technique and meant the Dreamcast could compete with (and exceed) PC GPUs that had several times the fill rate and memory bandwidth.

Also the Dreamcast's GPU was (alongside TNT) the only consumer-level GPUs of its day that supported true 8-bit alpha blending (3dfx Voodoo 2 and N64 cheated a tad by dithering 8-bit alpha blending to 5-bit). The original TNT had a significant performance penalty from doing 8-bit alpha blending though - Dreamcast's GPU suffered no penalty.

It was also the only GPU that supported a 32-bit z-buffer (TNT went up to 24-bit, 3dfx Voodoo 2 and N64 only went up to 16-bit). And it was also the only GPU on the market that supported real texture compression (not just palette tricks) in the form of VQ texture compression.

Lastly, it was the only GPU...EVER MADE that has completely order independent alpha blending (basically the hardware automatically sorts alpha primitives without requiring any intervention from the programmer). Even later versions of PowerVR GPUs dropped this functionality.

To put it frankly, the Dreamcast's GPU was fucking incredible and the best piece of hardware (relatively) that the company behind PowerVR ever released.
>>
>>4180624
Thanks anon, dropping some knowledge on niggas.
>>
>>4180624
I'll just correct myself before anybody points this out.
>And it was also the only GPU on the market that supported real texture compression (not just palette tricks) in the form of VQ texture compression.
Except for the S3 Savage (which wasn't a strong performer) and its S3TC texture compression. Almost forgot about this card.
>>
>>4177632
>most of their games got ported to better consoles
>SEGA bombing made their software devs sans Sonic Team excellent

They didn't, hence why they were blown the fuck out by PS2.
>>
>>4177769
Uhm yeah, you should see a doctor, if you think games like power stone, power stone 2 or third strike aren't epic games... noobs these days... grow up kid
>>
File: fffffff.jpg (38KB, 373x521px) Image search: [Google]
fffffff.jpg
38KB, 373x521px
>>4177769
you can't win
>>
>>4177651
>Because desperation inspires innovation
>innovation
A terrible joypad with ONE analogue stick
Crappy VMU
GD
>weakest hardware of the 6th generation
>innovation
>>
>>4177639
but it managed to become a retro console at eyes of /vr/, and that's a feat
>>
File: pixel troopa shell.png (13KB, 880x581px) Image search: [Google]
pixel troopa shell.png
13KB, 880x581px
>>4177632
Sega always reminded me of that one friend, the one who just took things too far. Had to go so far, further than anyone else. Oh sure, he did a buncha things, pushed boundaries, created standards and ideas that we STILL use to this day. But at what cost? Was it worth it?
....find out next time, on DRAGON BALL Z!!!
>>
>>4178974
>UT99 and Q3 ran like crap in 4-player splitscreen
you_dont_say.fag
>>
>>4180672
Ps2 is weaker. Can't even do hardware AA.

Also
>crappy VMU
Just buy the 4x memory cards then if you don't want the tomogatchi gimmick.
>>
File: 1502074961111.jpg (50KB, 500x583px) Image search: [Google]
1502074961111.jpg
50KB, 500x583px
>>4177632
>hey, remember how we did the Saturn?
>let's do the complete opposite of that
>>
>>4182395
>Ps2 is weaker. Can't even do hardware AA.
You can't measure the power of a system by a single metric. And besides, to my knowledge no Dreamcast game actually used AA.
>>
>>4177769
i remember the ps2 hype so more would rather wait for that
>>
>>4182593
I remember the PS2 hype too. I didn't buy into it though. Especially after finding out about the upcoming Xbox console at the time & what it could do. Truly revolutionary.
>>
>>4182395
>Ps2 is weaker. Can't even do hardware AA.
OLD meme my friends
>>
>>4180656
I don't think you belong here
>>
File: 20170808_103502.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px)
20170808_103502.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>4177632
>>
>>4182968
>memebleed

god what a horrible game.
>>
File: grace3.jpg (64KB, 512x433px) Image search: [Google]
grace3.jpg
64KB, 512x433px
I have two seemingly identical revision 1 PAL Dreamcasts (HKT-3030) but one has a Yamaha GD-ROM and the other a Samsung.

Does anyone here know if one is superior to the other? I'm guessing Yamaha but would welcome input either way.

Pic unrelated.
>>
File: dc.jpg (31KB, 378x480px) Image search: [Google]
dc.jpg
31KB, 378x480px
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.