[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Want to get into more Looking Glass games. Any tips for starting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: uu.png (223KB, 300x385px) Image search: [Google]
uu.png
223KB, 300x385px
Want to get into more Looking Glass games. Any tips for starting this and it's sequel?
>>
>Draw your own maps
>take notes
>have fun
>>
>>4174089
Magic is underpowered as fuck. Use a fighter if you only care about beating the game. Other classes are fun though, but objectively less powerful. Setting it on easy can make up for the low power of more magic-based classes. Also, re-roll if you get shit stats. THIS IS IMPORTANT. You really don't want to start a game with a character with crap stats. Don't underestimate the lore stat, you'll be surprised how useful it is. But most of all, MAKE SURE YOUR STRENGTH STAT IS AVERAGE TO HIGH. THIS DETERMINES HOW MUCH WEIGHT YOU CAN CARRY. THIS IS SO IMPORTANT THAT IT CAN NOT POSSIBLY BE OVERSTATED. IF YOU GET A SHIT STRENGTH STAT THEN JUST RE-ROLL UNTIL YOU HAVE A DECENT TO HIGH ONE.

EXPLORE and don't hesitate for an instant to try anything you can think of. You'll be blown away by how much shit you can do in this game. It makes most modern zillion dollar WRPGs seem severely lacking in terms of interactivity in comparison.

Otherwise, have fun. You're in for one of the best games ever made.
>>
>>4174103
>>Draw your own maps

The game literally has auto-mapping. This is the dumbest fucking advice you could have possibly given.

Taking notes is smart though. You can write notes on the map in-game.
>>
I would recommend playing Underworld 2 after Ultima 4-7. Underworld 1 was shoehorned into the series so you don't miss out on much if you don't play them first but UW2 is a direct sequel to 7 and you get most out of it if you know the other characters and history.
>>
File: uw_003.png (29KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
uw_003.png
29KB, 320x200px
>>4174107
Fighters aren't perfect. They can't get IQ 15 so their magic stats can't reach the maximum.
Paladins and Rangers should be able to get ST30/DX15/IQ15 which is the optimal distribution.
>>
Read the manual... it's pretty fucking essential.

Plus if you get the GOG version the sound is kinda broken. Footsteps sound like a bad out of tune and out of time piano for one thing. There's an easy fix for it here though:

https://www.gog.com/forum/ultima_series/sound_in_ultima_underworld_is_playing_music
>>
>>4174103
Not only does the game have an ingame map, it's also an automap AND it lets you make notes on it. There's no need at all to get out the graph paper for this one.
>>
>>4174302
The GOG version was janky as fuck for me. I had to fiddle with the dosbox settings to get it working right. If the cpu cycles are set to max then the game starts behaving really weirdly.
>>
>>4174089
>Any tips for starting this and it's sequel?

Druid is the best class in the first. Paladin is the best in the second. They both can get 30 strength (for carrying shit), have decent intelligence, and they both get a batch of important skills with no useless ones.

Best skills to train are
>main weapon skill
>attack
>defense
>casting
>mana
>lore
>acrobat (just a little to reduce falling and collision damage)

The rest of the skills are basically pointless unless you want to roleplay a thief or something retarded.

>>4174107
>Magic is underpowered as fuck.

Wrong. Magic is awesome for all the utility spells that make your life a hell of a lot easier like create food, light, healing, shielding, water walking, levitation, etc. It's invaluable if only for the inventory space it saves you.
>>
>>4174356
>The rest of the skills are basically pointless unless you want to roleplay a thief or something retarded.
I often tend to put some points in repair. There's a bunch of useful items Shak refuses to repair plus it allows me to kill time while I wait for him to repair my gear.
It may not be the most min-maxed investment but it's more useful than the other skills.
>>
>>4174302
Nah, fuck the manual, just google how to level up and a list of the spells and you are good to go.
>>
>>4174554
And then bitch that you don't have a map or a runebag.
>>
>>4174356
Magic IS underpowered. To the point where it's not realistically viable as a means of combat.
>>
>>4174642
Go ahead and play the game without magic but for for starters striking a balance between melee combat and support magic is the best approach.
Flame wind is quite strong as an attack spell, you just have to accept collateral damage.
>>
>>4174642
>>4174650
If you play without magic using a jockstrap fighter or a blacksmith for shit 'n' giggles, it would make the game harder or at least more inconvienent(sp?). There's basically a spell to cover almost all the skills

>Flamewind
Hard to aim it but it's the most powerful multi-hit spell available in both UWs. Alternatively, you can spam snowballs in UW2 or the Shockwave spell if you have a lot of mana. The Kill/Smite spell is also aimable in UW2; making most boss fights a joke.

>>4174375
Not sure if it was ever patched but there's an XP bug in UW1 where if you die a lot of times, your XP will get so low that the game bugs out and allows you to level pass the level limit to level 19 so you can gain more skillpoints. Of course for me, that required completing every single subquest and killing almost all the non-plot NPCs to get enough XP to do that.
>>
>>4174872
Can't you grind skeletons and other spawning monsters?

How would a no magic challenge in UW1 look like?
-no runestones
-no potions, scrolls, wands etc
-no magic items
-no fountains

I think the lack of levitation/fly might be the biggest problem. The chasm on level 7 should be hard to cross without the ring.
>>
>>4174375
THIS
>>
>>4174182
1 is one huge dungeon and its got great atmosphere faglord
>>
>>4176968
Did I say anything contrary?
I just think that UW1 doesn't fit well into the established setting since it wasn't originally developed as an Ultima game so you have Dwarves and Lizardmen but no Gargoyles.
Even being the Avatar isn't that important.
>>
>>4176979
this is a thread about looking glass games not ultima games though
>>
>>4177096
What is your problem?
At no point did I say Ultima Underworld 1 is a bad game or shouldn't be played.
I merely said Ultima Underworld 2 is a close sequel to Ultima 7 and has the best effect if you are familiar with the world and characters.
>>
>>4177096
You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>4174089
Strength is by far the most important of the 3 attributes. Dex is nigh worthless. If you want to powergame (or are just having trouble surviving) play a Paladin.

Explore everywhere, talk to everyone, don't pick fights unless they hit you first. It'll help to know the basics of the Ultima virtue system.

You have an auto map, but it's fairly basic. You can write notes on it, and you should annotate every point of interest, especially where you left cache's of backup equipment (you'll never be able to carry everything you want)

>>4174107
I'd have to disagree. Especially at higher levels, Magic can be EXTREMELY powerful. What's underpowered are spells that work on the shooting paradigm, but bows and slings are also crap. Use spells that have area of effect or the bleeding mechanic, or worst comes to worst cast levitate. Use the spells that protect or allow you to sneak up on enemies (hitting someone in the back does double damage). Hell, you practically can't win the game without some of the support spells, like Water Walk, or Name Enchantment. What are useless are magic arrow and the lightning bolt spells, but just don't rely on them and use other stuff. You can very easily win with a mage, but unfortunately it does require a high degree of system mastery and knowing what each of those stupid little spells do.
>>
>>4174337
Except when you have to learn the lizard language.
>>
File: Fu2_front.jpg (43KB, 292x350px) Image search: [Google]
Fu2_front.jpg
43KB, 292x350px
>>4174089
then you should play this looking glass game instead.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.