[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what is the most fun, arcade, styleish, gotta go fast ps1 racing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 12

File: rage-racer-usa[1].jpg (105KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
rage-racer-usa[1].jpg
105KB, 600x600px
what is the most fun, arcade, styleish, gotta go fast ps1 racing game?

I imagine its one of the ridge racer games, but which? I want something with high framerate and duriftos.
>>
File: 390174-snapshot2[1].jpg (73KB, 640x576px) Image search: [Google]
390174-snapshot2[1].jpg
73KB, 640x576px
ridge racer type 4
>>
the only 60 fps game without considering CMR cheat or HiFi in GT1 there I can think is the HiSpec RR game
>>
>>4172414
RR Type 4 is all of those. Great music too.
>>
Ridge Racer Revolution is funnier than Type 4 IMO.

Just listen to the music of both and you'll understand.
>>
>>4172414
R4 unquestionably.
Rage Racer is also great, especially the music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT7LHG_tM5o
>>
>>4172414
R4 is the best but holy fuck is it hard
>>
>>4172414
I think Rage Racer is much classier than R4. R4 has a plot that's a little amateurish, and the colors are much brighter and more fun. Rage Racer feels much more refined and aloof. either game is a blast to play, though. the music in RR is some of the best I have ever heard
>>
>>4172414
R4 all fucking day. Not only the best PS1 racing game but one of the best arcade style racers ever made.
>>
>all these Ridgefags

Side by Side Special is so much better, though.
>>
File: SRNS-2002_RAGEREMIX_H1-1.jpg (1MB, 1416x1416px) Image search: [Google]
SRNS-2002_RAGEREMIX_H1-1.jpg
1MB, 1416x1416px
>>4172414
>Rage Racer
Still waiting on a download fort he REMIX album that released recently. It sounds so good.
https://soundcloud.com/sweeprecord/srns-2002
>>
Daytona USA
>>
>>4172584
good stuff
ost got me into jungle/dnb before I knew what it was
inb4 inevitable sperglord splitting hairs
>>
"Dude R4" "R4 bro", "R4 R4 R4"

Babby's first arcade racer
>>
>>4172414
Get type 4.

Also the intro video is so aesthetic
>>
>>4173934
Everyone for some reason praises Ridge Racer Type 4 as the best RR game. Yet, I noticed it was a grind fest and probably the only video game that encouraged you to sandbag (lose races in purpose) to unlock more cars to be used in Time Attack/Extra Trial/2P Race. And most of them are livery texture swaps with some max speed changes. (Full disclosure, this and RRS2 [PSP] are the only Ridge Racer games I actually played – I tried playing RRV, but PCSX2 is struggling with the framerate. I think I’ve played Arcade RR2/Rave Racer when I was younger, and definitely played Pocket Racer – basically RR Revolution with Choro Q sized cars and no brakes. Too bad the arcade that had Pocket Racer was destroyed in a fire few years ago.)
>>
I personally see RRT4 as overhyped. What is it with the game's replayability that basically encourages sandbagging to unlock the cars, in which some of them are just buffed stage 1 and 2 cars? It seems like people are concerned about the graphical appeal of that game, as well as the storyline part.
>>
>>4173934
Nah, outrun cabinet at the bowling alley. There's a reason everyone is recommending R4, because it's the correct answer to his question.
>>
File: 03-03-2017-05.23.png (115KB, 1536x576px) Image search: [Google]
03-03-2017-05.23.png
115KB, 1536x576px
>>4172414
Type 4 if you want the best balance or vidya kino
Rage if you want a career mode
1 and Revolution if you want classic RR

Try RR64/DS if you want a retextured "remake" sans wobbling that contains 1 and Revolution tracks all in one package. Analog stick is also a plus since these two games on PS1 only supported NeGcon. However the car selection is an odd mix of classic, 4, and brand new. Beware though, the game is 3x harder on DS because of digital steering and insane rubber banding that makes you want to kill yourself.
>>
>>4172414
I think ridge racer on PSP and Outrun2000SP on XboX is best of arcade style racing game.
but for PS1 I like Ridge Racer Revolution.
>>
>>4173969
Xbox outrun was so good, definitely a must play as far as arcade racers go.
>>
>>4173969
>Outrun 2000 SP on XboX
what the fuck am I reading
It's either Outrun 2 on Xbox or Outrun Online Arcade on Xbox 360. Or Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast if you don't mind the setbacks.
>>
File: OutRun2_Wallpaper_2.jpg (97KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
OutRun2_Wallpaper_2.jpg
97KB, 1024x768px
>>
>>4173961
>Outrun
>easy
post you're times
>>
File: outrun-2-xbox_1491515601.jpg (87KB, 640x908px) Image search: [Google]
outrun-2-xbox_1491515601.jpg
87KB, 640x908px
>>4173975
Original OutRun 2 for OG Xbox is best. Has those cool extras like the Daytona 2/SCUD tracks and unlockable OutRun '86 arcade and doesn't have the horrible slipstream mechanic that's in 2006. Also has better graphics.
>>
>>4173781
>R4 is the best but holy fuck is it hard
Wat? it really isn't at all.

>>4172414
>what is the most fun, arcade, styleish, gotta go fast ps1 racing game?
Rage racer and sidebyside special largely unknown port of the arcade game for japanese audiences highly recommend.

>>4173863
>Side by Side Special is so much better, though.

Seriously guys it's worth looking at this guy is right.
>>
File: ePSXe 2014-09-08 19-41-07-35.png (606KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
ePSXe 2014-09-08 19-41-07-35.png
606KB, 1600x900px
>Playing Rage Racer first time
>wow this one's hard but satisfying as heck
>Playing Extra GP class 6
>aaaagh fuck this pure SNK boss tier bullshit fuck this game
>also, realizing there's no way to obtain opponent cars reskins
Man this game makes me F E E L
>>
R4 is the best, ignore the neckbearded hipsters who try to claim otherwise.
>>
>>4173863
>>4174262
Dark-skinned males of my possession.

Fuck all these R4 parrots.
>>
>>4174268
>R4
Babby's first Ridge Racer
>>
File: PSX_Wipeout[1].png (32KB, 320x256px) Image search: [Google]
PSX_Wipeout[1].png
32KB, 320x256px
racers aren't my thing but pic related was 100% arcade one for sure
I have no idea if it was fun or not
>>
>>4174316
xl and 3 were peak.

>>4174265
>>aaaagh fuck this pure SNK boss tier bullshit fuck this game

I really don't get the trouble people have, you can beat the game easily using only the fastest automatic car and then the rocket thing for the final oval.

>>4174268
You're th neckbeard hipster chap and a plebian, r4 is great but it's overrated and carried massively by the ost by shit players.
>>
>>4173924
Same here fàm.
>>
>>4173863

I looked it up real quick, is it in any way related to the Battle Gear games? Looks very familiar
>>
>>4172414
R4 and Rage Racer
My personal favorite is Revolution and it's soundtrack. The magic begins at 2:10:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GK6WbcyYOY
>>
>>4173781
Literally the easiest racing game ever.
>>
>>4174598
All are from Taito, so probably. Even though I love R4 Side by Side is amazing for being so simple and straight forward, specially when played with a wheel in the arcade version.
>>
>>4174626
Can you even beat most races with your default selectable cars? I don't think it's possible.
>>
>>4174342
>using only the fastest automatic car
This is the main problem. The only class 6 car with automatic is slow as fuck.
>>
File: max_g.jpg (199KB, 595x435px) Image search: [Google]
max_g.jpg
199KB, 595x435px
>>4172414
>I imagine its one of the ridge racer games
nope, it's Touge Max G
>>
>>4174917
>Touge Max G

This man is a gentleman and a scholar, who can guide the ignorant through the path of darkness.
>>
>>4174917
aint that a gotta go slow game, a la Gran Turismo 1/2
>>
>>4174956
Only if you were slacking off during your tofu deliveries.
https://youtu.be/aYK_Usyqf5U
>>
>>4174670
>This is the main problem. The only class 6 car with automatic is slow as fuck.

Rage Racer, according to the namco devs, was literally made to be played with Manual, something about "pleasure of shifting", git gud
>>
>>4174917
what about the sequel
>>
>>4174316
I'm a huge F-Zero fan, been meaning to try these because they look close enough. Would I make the transition fine, do you think?
>>
>>4175091
Also an F-Zero fan here. Played the first and third Wipeouts briefly. The first one seemed shitty, but 3 is great if you can get your head around the annoying menus
>>
>>4173969
>>4173971
>>4173975
>>4173995
>>4174213
The fuck is an Xbox?

>>>/v/
>>
>>4175084
The sequels are not retro, as it's the last PS1 game in the series. I played Touge 3 on PS2, it has its own charm but I like pretty much everything better in the Max G. If you're interested in other Touge games on retro consoles, I can't say anything as I haven't tried them myself yet.
>>
WipEout
>>
Side by Side and Touge Max G both seem pretty fun, thanks dudes.
>>
File: NYXq4hF8.jpg (66KB, 640x631px) Image search: [Google]
NYXq4hF8.jpg
66KB, 640x631px
pure arcade style but it's more let's get curazy
>>
>>4176924
HORI SHITTU
I can't emulate arcade Daytona USA properly 'cause linux, and you found me a substitute.
>>
>>4176924
>>4176929
Speaking of which, is Runabout any good?
>>
>>4172414
r4 i had the most fun with, and i played ALL of the psx racers back in the day
>>
File: burning-road.png (493KB, 510x458px) Image search: [Google]
burning-road.png
493KB, 510x458px
>>4176929
There's also this game which is quite literally a Daytona USA clone, same boxy cars and everything. It's a decent game.
>>
Yet another vote for RR Type 4 here. I hate the 'comfy' meme but it really is the comfiest game around. Beautiful graphics, that soundtrack, the silly melodramatic stories for each team. Everything about it just feels nice.
>>
File: nice.jpg (90KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
nice.jpg
90KB, 604x453px
>>4172414
PS1 only?
I can recommend Have a N.I.C.E. day, it was fun little PC title.
>>
>>4172414
wipE'out" fits all those requirements
>>
>>4176924
Was excited to find out it's the licensed precursor to Rumble Racing but was not excited to find out stunt flipping and rolling for boosts was not a thing. Does this even have co-op campaign like Rumble Racing?
>>
>>4172573
RRR is one of my favorite games, and I like the handling massively more than Type 4.
the soundtrack is a thing of beauty, there's nothing like blasting down the road with Maximum Zone playing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjO4htFmHCE

Rage Racer's pretty great too. Lightning Luge is pure 1995-era jungle techno straight from a DJ set.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgEb_6xKkQo
shame about the retarded drift handling that makes absolutely no sense, there's nothing like making a corner the same way several times in a row and getting wildly different results each time

>>4173787
Rage has an amazing sense of style. I think R4's brighter, if still subdued look is better overall (has a film-like quality to it), but oh damn Rage is slick in all the right ways. Mean looking clouds and the sexy voiced announcer and beautiful greek scenery with an aggressive jungle-style soundtrack going on.
Doing the oval track with Hurricane Hub playing at full blast is perfection.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGAnjsn-Xxs

>>4173960
R4 looks fantastic, sounds great, and has a lot of courses. There's a lot to like, and ultimately, it does offer most players more with more cars and more unique courses, since the other PS1 RR games just have you play the same 2/3/4 tracks backwards.

>>4173956
RR2 PSP is stellar, but has some hilarious handling decisions (you can drift the wrong way into a corner and not hit the wall, even if you lose a fuckton of speed and the exit might still end up hitting the wall).
Amazing fun though.

>>4174262
>tfw been meaning to play SBSS for ages and haven't

>>4175107
Wipeout 1 handles loads better on Saturn than PS1, with the con being reduced framerate (solid 20fps vs solid 30). Craft handling and collisions are much less maddening than the PS1 version's.
XL is brilliant.
3's menus suck, but it's also pretty good and looks great.
>>
>>4178078
>shame about the retarded drift handling that makes absolutely no sense, there's nothing like making a corner the same way several times in a row and getting wildly different results each time
Relieving to hear everytime that I'm not just fucking retarded
>>
>>4178078
>shame about the retarded drift handling that makes absolutely no sense, there's nothing like making a corner the same way several times in a row and getting wildly different results each time

You shouldn't even be drifting corners as it's slower that's why.

>>4178107
>Relieving to hear everytime that I'm not just fucking retarded
No you and he are because you can't figure out that's not the best way to play, low i.q people never experiment with methods.

>>4175091
>>4175107
f-zeros are a joke for casuals that dont like actually being punished for not learning routes, just slide across the fucking walls.

>>4178078
>XL is brilliant.
>3's menus suck, but it's also pretty good and looks great.

Miffed but the menu criticism, how mentally lacking do you have to be to have issues with the most minimalist succinct menu around? Anyway 3 is the best in the series with 3 S.E a close second (more content but floaty phsyics, course skips, lower fps) I played these games competitively for a long time, time trial is where the real fun is.

>>4178078
Honstly everything you say is just (muhh aesthetics, muh ost,muh content) It's obvious you're a shit player and a plebian who's never grinded a racer for good times in his life.
>>
>>4176871

I'll try to get me copies of those too. Cool beans, thread!
>>
>>4178315
I know the best way to play is not drifting but I don't have a NeGcon to play it like pros do. The game has drifting, so I'm going to use it, but I can't figure out how exiting drifts work without flipping a coin to see if my car will stall.
>>
>>4178315
>muhh
>Honstly
Fucking hell mate, is there a reason your post reads like a twelve year old wrote it?

>Honstly everything you say is just (muhh aesthetics, muh ost,muh content)
Did you even read the post? Do you have brain damage?
The parts that focus on that are that are the bit on explaining why people like R4 (because those are the high points -- the game has other flaws -- I'm not a fan of the handling model, the car unlock system is retarded and no one cares about most of them anyway, etc), and the part where I was replying to someone who specifically commented on Rage Racer's aesthetics and style.

>time trial is where the real fun is.
at least you have some sense

>how mentally lacking do you have to be to have issues with the most minimalist succinct menu around?
The fonts are tiny as shit and it looks like shit. SE fixes the first issue, at least.
It's an ugly, spartan menu. It doesn't need to be flashy, but it does need to not be ugly.

>f-zeros are a joke for casuals that dont like actually being punished for not learning routes, just slide across the fucking walls.
tempted to say you don't play F-Zero, but I don't either
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.