[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Theoretically, in an alternate universe, assuming Sega could

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 8

File: Sega.jpg (319KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Sega.jpg
319KB, 1920x1080px
Theoretically, in an alternate universe, assuming Sega could actually get their shit together and wasn't incredibly autistic, do you think it would be physically possible for them to re-enter the hardware business and actually turn a profit? Imagine:
>base price of $300
>attractive and streamlined, but with just enough of a quirky design to look intriguing, black with some colorful accents, no nostalgia fanservice -- entirely new branding
>solid, ergonomic controller with no gimmicks
>console doesn't focus on raw power, but rather ease of programmability
>affords developers a slightly bigger cut of game sale proceeds than the competition, which, combined with being easy to code, incentivizes third party support
>online is free (or extremely cheap), and every user gets a free choice of, say, 5 older Sega titles to enjoy right off the bat, out of a catalog of 100 or so
>a few solid launch titles, with a focus on brand new Sega-developed IPs rather than rehashes of older Sega properties, although one or two classic series as well

Personally, I do not think Sega could actually pull this off, because to this day they cannot even figure out how to make a decent Sonic game. However, if they weren't retarded, the only way I could see this working is if they ditched the nostalgia factor (no "Dreamcast 2" bullshit), and basically re-invented themselves, while still providing the unique experiences they are known for. Could it be done?
>>
At least Dreamcast has best version of GTA 2.
>>
>>4169962
No. Next.
>>
All they need to do is a better switch
>>
Hard no. They don't have the money for R&D for hardware and they don't have the IP's to sell hardware.
>>
Like a PC?
>>
>>4169973
>not PC
>>
File: definitely-retarded.jpg (58KB, 553x484px) Image search: [Google]
definitely-retarded.jpg
58KB, 553x484px
>>4169962
So last fiscal year SEGA made USD 965,49 M.That includes sales of arcade HARDWARE. They are doing great right now. It was never SEGA that was autistic, its rather video game consumers in general. Once you understand how retarded your audience really is you start to make money, see SONY.
>>
>>4170042

How do they not have the IPs?
>>
>>4169962
where the fuck is the sega retro box console with all kinds of games from different gens

fucking fuck
>>
>>4169962
I think it's likely, in theory. Of infinite alternative universes. You wanna reread that drivel you just posted, by the way?
Cmon, OP.
There's probably an alternate universe where you're not a faggot, and several others where you don't spend your time posting about your ersatz insights on how even in a strange matrix of infinite hypothetical timelines does sega not mange to impress you. so of course there's at least one universe where the american coin op company that sold home consoles in the 90s would do something that wasn't incredibly autistic. Speaking of puzzle pieces, have you read your post yet?
So you're not impressed with a game company. whop de fucking doo, bro. focus on the universe where you actually apply yourself to something constructive, i bet your parents wish they could swap places.
>>
>>4169962
Sega has already made all their best games a long time ago.
>>
Why would Sega want to?

Console don't make money, and they haven't since the 16bit generation.
>>
How many "alternative universe Sega" threads are we going to have?

Sega stepped out of the console market because of Sony's PlayStation eating majority of the marketshare, not because Sega "being autistic" (?), or SoJ vs SoA rumours or whatever.
>>
I don't even want this. Sega's software quality is currently the best it's been since the 90's, I don't want them to try and make games that will sell hardware (which nowadays means generic open world and service based multiplayer)
>>
>>4169962
console making is no longer good business. the best business model is use existing hardware and put in a cash shop in your game
>>
>>4170042
Xbone seems to be doing alright with zero exclusives
>>
>>4170117
If you're trying to sell consoles you need a wider market than the userbase of a japanese image board.
You need the guys buying Fifa every year and the kids asking their parents for Call of Duty. Nostalgia for games like Sonic or Crazy taxi won't move units and the layman doesnt give a shit about Total War or Yakuza.
>>
>>4169962
You almost described the Dreamcast. Looks like a success for Sega!
>>
>>4170095
>Sega
>the company that launched consoles as surprise attacks
>the company that rejected amazing hardware because it was made in the West
>the company that would rather listen to the creator of it's mascot than hard market analysis
>the company that simply denied that their brand had faded away
>the company that bankrupted itself on one (1) game that was barely even interactive
>the company that didn't even spend money on marketing in America from 1997-1999
>not autistic
>>
>>4170653

Stop using autism as an adjective, it doesn't even make sense.
>>
>>4170451
Forza took a good chunk of the market from Gran Turismo.
>>
>>4170667

What market? GT is dead, the last game totally flopped.
>>
File: 1496460934586.gif (4MB, 394x281px) Image search: [Google]
1496460934586.gif
4MB, 394x281px
>>4170164
Lmao, kid, if you have noticed, you're on fucking 4chan too. In my spare time, I like talking about video games. Clearly, you do too. The only difference between you and me is that you're a pretentious faggot who gets so triggered by the simple theoretical assertion of a game company doing well that you have to pull sentences like "don't spend your time posting about your ersatz insights on how even in a strange matrix of infinite hypothetical timelines" out of your hairy ass hole in a desperate attempt to validate yourself. Only someone suffering from an extreme form of autism would get so assblasted over a topic like this.
>focus on the universe where you actually apply yourself to something constructive, i bet your parents wish they could swap places.
Projecting a bit hard, aren't we?
>>
Sega still makes gaming hardware, for arcades. They've actually been PC based ever since Xbox (Sega Chihiro system). The Ring series was the most prolific. Ring was emulated for the first time this year and only I and like three other people on /vr/ cared I had to go to infinitechan to discuss it. This leads me to believe that no, a new Sega consumer video game console would not be successful. We'll see how the new Atari does but I'm not expecting much.
>>
>Being so retarded to ignore the fact that SEGA still makes arcade hardware
>>4170803
The new Atari will be shit, don't expect anything good out of post multiple hostile take overs atari
>>
>>4169962
>re-enter the hardware business

They would need to find literally tens of billions of investor dollars at this point. Who cares, anyways. At this point consoles are just restrictive PCs that lock you into running specific software.
>>
Sega games are coming out on PC pretty consistently, it seems to be better that way
>>
File: 101713-worldofthree[1].jpg (260KB, 540x477px) Image search: [Google]
101713-worldofthree[1].jpg
260KB, 540x477px
>>4170823
Agreed but with the exception of exclusive home versions of their newer arcade games - titles like Kantai, Fighting Climax and World of Three Kingdoms - any consumer console launch would presumably be similar to the Atari. Even though Sega unlike Atari does have good current exclusives I doubt they have the ad budget necessary to make normalfags worldwide aware of it. In the world of viral marketing though, who knows.
>>
>>4170823
>being so retarded as to conflate arcade hardware and console hardware
>>
Too bad arcade hardware these day is so boring though, just based on PC hardware as there is nothing more powerful. Sega was really cutting edge in the 90s with hardware like the model 3, which used a Lockheed chipset to render graphics better than any PC of the mid 90s (at a very high price point): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBbMoCmwSXw

Digging through arcade board specs on System16 from the pre-PC era shows how much creativity and diversity there was is really pushing things forward with different CPUs and organizations. With the lean margins in the arcade scene these days, that sort of hardware design is just too expensive and there doesn't seem to be anything like the military tier Lockheed Real3D chips a dev could acquire to blow everyone away graphically, so we're left with cabs just having fancy cabs and tactile shit to differentiate the arcade experience.
>>
>>4169962
If Sega were able to get their shit together they wouldn't have had to leave consoles in the first place.
>>
>>4170653
>that was barely even interactive
If you're going to shit talk Shenmue you could at least bother to play it for an hour or two so you won't look like a complete moron.
>>
>>4170803
Boohoo you had to go on another site to talk about something that isn't even allowed on this board.
>>
>>4170803
I give you major credit for actually providing an intelligent, thought-out response instead of acting like a complete dick or waxing faux intellectualism like >>4170164. I guess not all tripfags are retarded.

Seriously though, stop using tripcode.
>>
This board
>I wish arcades still existed
>hates on golden age gaming and sega
>>
File: 1501701078849.jpg (17KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1501701078849.jpg
17KB, 400x400px
>>4170889
>mfw we went from playing NES games in 1991 to this, only five years later

Video games now have zero excitement after such enormous leaps in so little time.
>>
>>4170986
This board is retarded. I honestly don't understand why I come here. How the hell can anyone who loves arcades hate Sega?
>>
>>4170889
>max resolution 640x480
Is this the best Sega can do? Pathetic.
>>
>>4170863
OP said "Hardware", so any hardware counts
>>
>>4171240
>OP said "Hardware", so any hardware counts
I guess you missed the part where he described, in detail, his idea for a fucking home console and not an arcade board. How autistic can you possibly be dude?
>>
>>4171302
OP still said "hardware", and SEGA still makes arcade hardware, so SEGA is still technically in the hardware business.
>>
>>4171373
You do realize that you are taking the word "hardware" literally, when it was clear to literally every other person that he meant "consoles" right? The fact you are debating this is a sign of a spectrum disorder.
>>
>>4169962
>Could it be done?
Only if SoJ's entire board of directors an heroed and the company got took over by a new bunch of people who could actually take a shit without having to piss off SoA. Plus as >>4170042 said. They have no R&D money, nor any IPs to make it worth buying. Their only option of making it work, would be to create their own OS based on Linux which can run Steam then prioritize their games on that platform as well as others. Basically SEGABoxes instead of Steamboxes
>>
>>4171201
Remember they were constrained by the requirements of arcade standards, so it made more sense to deploy stuff for medium resolution arcade displays. Even medium rez was pretty damn fancy and out of the ordinary when most cabs were still shipping with CGA.

The Model 3 was an unrivaled polygon pushing beast that's only match would have been flight simulators built on the same chips and high end workstations costing like six figures etc.

SEGA was genius at the arcades with AM2 et al.
>>
Wtf is up with all the sega threads in /vr/?
>>
>>4172101
This is the Sega board. Don't like it? Fuck off back to Neogaf.
>>
>>4172101
>Why would a retro gaming board talk about a beloved company who suffered a massive fall from grace and whose last console came out just before the cut-off for discussion?
>>
>>4172118
You are deluded.
>>
>>4170986
>>4171080
It's pretty fucking pathetic to live in a bubble made up of NES/SNES, while ignorant of golden age history (trash the 2600, "Space Invaders, wuzzat?", and so on) and Nintenfags still fighting console wars with Sega, ignorant of Sega's utter dominance on the arcade scene with AM2 triumphs like Outrun, AfterBurner, Virtua Fighter...
>>
File: C57.png (88KB, 344x301px) Image search: [Google]
C57.png
88KB, 344x301px
The Sega Nu is the latest arcade hardware sega has out. It came out in 2013 and is comparable to current gen consoles. If sega had a console out now it'd look like this.

Nu specifications[edit]
CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.30 GHz
RAM: 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM (PC3-12800)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti with 1 GB GDDR5 memory (Direct3D 11.1/OpenGL 4.3)
Sound: 5.1 channel HD Audio
Output: VGC-P, UTT-P, twin display output
Connectors: JVS I/O connector, 4 channel serial port, 4× USB 3.0, 2× CAN bus
Networking: Gigabit Ethernet (1000BASE-T)
Storage: SATA SSD 64 GB, HDD 500 GB
Media: Blu-ray or USB 3.0 storage, network delivery (Sega ALL.NET)
>>
>>4172152

So we know they can make the hardware, the important question is how much would the cost to the buyer be? Sega would only survive re-entering the console market if the cost was low enough to entice people half way through a generation to purchase yet another machine.
>>
>>4172152
i3, 4 gb ram, winblowz,
bwhaha
go back to /g/
>>
>>4169962
I wish Sega would make a comeback in the hardware business because I'm a huge genesis and dreamcast fan but it won't happen.

Honestly I just want them to do a Dreamcast collection release for PS4.
>Shenmue 1&2
>Jet Set Radio
>Sonic Adventure 1&2
>Soul Calibur
>Space Channel 5
>Crazy Taxi 1&2
>Virtua Tennis
>Cannon Spike
>Ikaruga
>Bangai-o
>Powerstone 1&2
>Marvel vs Capcom 2
>House of the Dead 2
Not to mention all the other excellent fighters and shmups.

The dreamcast has such a legendary games catalogue.
>>
>>4170671
GT6 flopped because it was a PS3 game released during the 2013 holiday.
>>
>>4172478
A Dreamcast collection on the PS4 would be awesome.
>>
they could do something like nes mini
>>
>>4172478
Just a legitimate rerelease of Cannon Spike would be enough for me.
>>
>>4172478
>implying those wouldn't be digital only and $14.99 each
>>
>>4172331
Never the less he's right, that is what Sega's current hardware platform looks like.

>>4172297
It would be pretty inexpensive, maybe $150-$200 depending on what kind of software sales they were expecting.

Sega wouldn't want to damage their own arcade business though so the only way I could see this working is if they released consolized versions of just-retired arcade hardware cheap with naomi-to-dreamcast tier ports. They do like to release new arcade hardware pretty often.
>>
>>4169962
the saturn was shit but had sega played their cards right like nintendo with the 64 and gc, they could have made it out. the dreamcast was great and had the potential to take on the playstation, but they just ran out of money. remember, sega failed, not the hardware
>>
>>4170390
yeah, im gonna have to agree with this. more and more people are jumping on pc and/or mobile gaming. even sega is aware of this by porting bayo & vanquish on steam and having the sega forever thing for mobile
>>
>>4170390
>Console don't make money, and they haven't since the 16bit generation
You're right, companies have been making consoles for the last 28 years for no reason, they haven't turned a profit and everyone who designs, makes and markets them is a total retard and you are the one genius who figured out that there is no money to be made from it. The only reason consoles are still being made is because everyone in the industry is suffering from autism and they willingly lose money by continuing to make them. For 28 years.

...Or, you're just a retard.
>>
>>4174261

Not the guy you're talking to but it's pretty common knowledge that console gaming isn't very profitable, assuming we're talking about home console gaming and ignoring handhelds.

To make a successful console, you either need to lose billions for years until the console maybe starts posting a profit (Sony and Microsoft) or you have to just accept that your system will have issues and probably sell much more poorly than it could otherwise because you are so risk averse that you rely entirely on name brand (Nintendo).

This isn't possible for a company like Sega to do.
>>
>>4174287
>Not the guy you're talking to but it's pretty common knowledge that console gaming isn't very profitable
It's common knowledge in the same way a lot of misinformation is common knowledge. The "console business isn't profitable" meme needs to die because it is blatantly untrue. Companies wouldn't continue to churn out shitty plastic boxes if they weren't making money from it. You are partially correct, as some companies often sell consoles at a loss in hopes of gaining a large installed user base, but that doesn't mean they can't be insanely profitable. In fact, the Playstation division of Sony is one of its main money makers nowadays. If you fuck up, like Sega did with the Dreamcast, then yes you can lose insane amounts of money and drop dead overnight. However, I can assure you that Nintendo and Sony have made a metric fuckton of money off of their console businesses. More than just the games themselves, you have subscription-based services, DLC, even fucking merchandise based off of popular console-exclusive franchises. It all factors into the bottom line. The people running these businesses aren't stupid -- they may often be misguided, and oftentimes one single retard might have too big of an input on critical decisions, but by and large, the people marketing these machines are incredibly intelligent and they wouldn't keep doing it if they weren't making money. It's not like the big three just keep chipping away at each other in a futile war of attrition in hopes of being the last one standing and winning the console market forever. They are making money from it. Plain and simple.
>>
File: 3179210-9322665028-asfd3.jpg (25KB, 633x368px) Image search: [Google]
3179210-9322665028-asfd3.jpg
25KB, 633x368px
>>4174310
>Companies wouldn't continue to churn out shitty plastic boxes if they weren't making money from it

Microsoft did exactly this for years. The xbox family still isn't profitable despite being 16 years old. It's almost even now, but that means 16 years to get into the black.

>In fact, the Playstation division of Sony is one of its main money makers nowadays.

Meanwhile, when the PS3 came out, Sony had to cannablize their insurance arm to save SCE or make sacrifices in quality to their playstation products.

I don't think you're looking at this picture correctly. Nintendo's marketshare just gets smaller and smaller (ignoring the, erm, "success" of the Wii by some metrics) because the business that they're in is shrinking. Of course they are making money, they're also constantly investing billions. Doing this means your market should be increasing, not the other way around. If consoles were profitable, you wouldn't need to continually increase investment for diminishing returns.
>>
>>4174334
Original Xbox was a tax write down and MS forecast taking a 10 billion loss on it at the start of the project. It only lost 6 billion in the end which was way below what they forecast. Technically, they reset the division from 0 at the 360 launch put it in the black in FY11 and it's been black ever since.

Not that it takes away from consoles being an expensive prospect to invest in. But it's just the write down gets lost on a lot of people.

PS2 was also very margin scraping. It was profitable but Sony sank a lot of dosh from Insurance, Pictures and Music because they wanted the global market dominance. It came out with not much return but Sony were betting the brand name on it to sell TVs, DVDs and other products.
>>
>>4173874
I'd gladly pay 14.99$ each considering how much some of those cost to buy in the actual dreamcast (Cannon Spike goes for over 200$ these days)
>>
>>4174760

Right, and unlike Ms and Sony, Sega don't have any assets to plunder. Home console hardware doesn't make money, software does, which is why Sega doesn't make home console hardware anymore.
>>
>>4174767
Why not just, umm I don't know, PIRATE YOU FUCKING RETARD
>>
>>4174786
I'm not a filthy criminal.
>>
>>4174769
Sega only had a declining global arcade and amusement business. They simply couldn't compete with the money and assets Sony and MS had before the Sammy buyout and they don't have them now since that business has pretty much dried up to just Japan and the Middle East. They found their niche making software and it's the best decision they could make. Though they really need to find a better solution than Sega Forever to use their back catalog. The mobile implementation is a mess.
>>
>>4169962
No, seeing as even when they tried with
>ease of programmability
the Kamui for the Dreamcast was an absolute shitfest, and only fully documented in Japanese.
>>
>>4174334
>I don't think you're looking at this picture correctly. Nintendo's marketshare just gets smaller and smaller (ignoring the, erm, "success" of the Wii by some metrics) because the business that they're in is shrinking. Of course they are making money, they're also constantly investing billions. Doing this means your market should be increasing, not the other way around. If consoles were profitable, you wouldn't need to continually increase investment for diminishing returns.
This only applies to that limp-wristed third world country, Japan. In the west console sales are still steadily increasing, thank you very much.
>>
>>4174786
I'm a collector and like to have physical copies of games on the original console that it's intended for. Plus pirating is for fucking poorfags.
>>
Sega's move to software was well done, and they've even been able to maintain an arcade presence as well. Meanwhile, Nintendo continues down a dark path of dwindling hardware sales and risk, rather than getting out while there's time like Sega.

Nintenfags are going to be butthurt if the big N goes under while Sega lives on in spite of all their negativity.
>>
>>4169962
Present day? No, the console market probably won't even sustain itself as is, at least not in the form it's held so far. The PS4 and Xbone are converging on the same ideal of a proprietary living room PC, to the point of having half-step upgrades, what could Sega possibly bring to the table hardware-wise?

That said, the Dreamcast was something of a prototype for the Xbox and 7th gen online consoles, so a Dreamcast 2 a decade ago could've combined the Wii's first party clout and the PS3/360's hardware, non-gimped online, and the third-party support that came with them. While I'm playing alt-historian a 2006-released Sega console could've nudged the PS3 off the cliff it was on in the beginning by claiming Japanese developers and being sensible to program for, but that would require getting past the "lol Sega's trying again" first impressions.
>>
>>4175324
>this delusion

Both Sega and Nintendo are fine. Stop with your childhood console wars, anon.
Nintendo will outlive us all. Pokemon.
>>
>>4170653
yeah maybe Asperger syndrome, i give you that

Besides yuji naka was a majestic ass kisser in his time
>>
dude, what if, like, the ps-X never existed?
>>
File: 1ghz[1].jpg (80KB, 642x753px) Image search: [Google]
1ghz[1].jpg
80KB, 642x753px
>>4171045
The 90's and early 2000's were fucking crazy for hardware; Quake 1 came out in 1996 and required a 75 MHz CPU, while Half Life 1 in 1998 had 600 MHz minimum 800 recommended. Off the top of my head I tend to compare Rainbow Six to Ghost Recon, 3 years apart by the same studio, and how much better the latter looks, and Splinter Cell a year later was a fucking huge step too.
>>
>>4176647
The original Sony-Nintendo deal and its failure is the stuff alternate history novels are made of.
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.