[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Say a game like Sonic Mania had actually come out for the Saturn

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: sonicmania_sonic_sp[1].png (577KB, 701x766px) Image search: [Google]
sonicmania_sonic_sp[1].png
577KB, 701x766px
Say a game like Sonic Mania had actually come out for the Saturn back then and was called Sonic 4.

How differently would things have played out? Would it have stopped Sega's decline?
>>
>>4168527
>talking about a game that's not even out
>>
>>4168527
So what you're trying to ask is, what if Sega had done a traditional, side-scrolling Sonic 4 instead of falling for the 3D meme?

I'm not all that familiar with the Saturn, but isn't it a 2D powerhouse?
>>
>>4168527
it wouldn't make much of a splash
another 2d sonic when sony was rolling out those hot 3d polygons would make people roll their eyes like they did when they got a glorified port of 3d blast
>>
>>4168527
it wouldn't have been, anon. everyone was falling for the 3D hype. Another 2D sonic during this time would've been unthinkable.
>>
>>4168527
Absolutely not. What SONY so masterfully displayed is that PEOPLE WANT TO BE TOLD WHAT TO BUY. A larger marketing budget will always come out on top.
>>
>>4168527
Naka should've used his NiGHTS engine to do a 2.5D Sonic game first, and then make NiGHTS later. Fuck Burning Rangers.
>>
>>4168585
>>4168587
What about a 3D sidescroller?

>>4168593
This is kind of what I mean.
>>
>>4168527
If it follows Sonic Mania to a T and brings back old stages with a shit ton of redesigns, it'll probably be a commercial failure and remain a cult classic with fans. If it was less Sonic Mania as in adding more original stages, it probably wouldn't get bad reviews but still would be a commercial failure. No matter what, a 2D Sonic game on the Saturn would have flopped due to the 3D meme being rampant in the industry. I do wonder how well Mania could be converted to a Saturn game though, with the low-poly special stages and pixel art kinda reminding me of the Saturn.
>>4168596
It would do a shit ton better if it was 3D, but not as much as a true 3D Sonic game.
>>
>>4168527
It would have been called Sonic 5, if anything. The whole 'S3&K is one game' popular opinion is a very after the fact judgement. In 1996 most people were happy to accept Sonic & Knuckles as the sequel it was marketed as.
>>
>>4171932
>In 1996 most people were happy to accept Sonic & Knuckles as the sequel it was marketed as.
It's still not Sonic 4, just like Sonic CD isn't Sonic 3.
>>
>>4171968
*isn't Sonic 2
>>
>It's another "what is Sega hasn't failed thread

STOP THIS RREEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>4168587
this cracka know what's up.
>>
>>4168527
Probably not. The Dreamcast had two Sonic games and it still flopped. Sega was already on the decline due to a lot of internal mismanagement and a lack of communication between SoA and SoJ.
>>
>>4172058
>RREEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Retard
>>
File: part_one.png (190KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
part_one.png
190KB, 1024x768px
>>4171932
level select, along with a few other things, prove that sonic 3 & knuckles is in fact one game split in half to make a profit
>>
>everyone keeps saying Mania looks like a Saturn game
>meanwhile, I only think 32X when I see Mania
>>
>>4172753
Same. Like what the fuck, Mania isn't a Saturn a game in any capacity, the only thing that would be a Saturn game would have to be 3D.
>>
>>4172427
I thought it was due to lack of cartridge space.
>>
>>4172865
A little bit of column A, a little bit of column B i'd imagine
>>
>>4168527
aonix mania does have 3d https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9sQ0upgaPA
>>
>>4172865
the cartridge would've been prohibitively expensive to manufacture, so they split the game into two because that was more profitable
>>
>>4169980
It would of also required a 4MB ram cart and that the cart would of been released in the west as a result.
>>
>>4172753
The 32X can't run Sonic Mania due to.
>Have way too much stuff running on screen at once.
>More then 256 colors on screen at once (it's 32,768 color mode is only for static/non-moving bit map images with nothing else running).
>More then 3 background layers scrolling at once.
>No 16:9 mode, the Saturn on the other hand has it and used it's 16:9 mode on Nights & Panzer Dragoon.

The Saturn on the other hand can run it but it has to use it's 4MB ram cart (which otherwise is reserved on Capcom games) just to run the stuff on screen and it animation frame count.
>>
>>4168527
No, it would have bombed, everyone wanted 3D in 1995.
>>
No. Sega's decline was caused by an over-saturation of the market with add-ons fucking nobody bought and thus developers refused to make games for Sega consoles, no games, no console buys. A single game isn't going to redeem all of that no matter how fucking good it is.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.