[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As some of us know, during the development off the Sega Saturn,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0632.jpg (73KB, 1200x664px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0632.jpg
73KB, 1200x664px
As some of us know, during the development off the Sega Saturn, Silicpne had demonstrated gaming tech to Sega in 1993. While the American branch liked the hardware, the japenese executives rejected it for nitpicking reasons (audio not good enough, chip too big etc.) the Saturn Project continued. The hardware was later adopted by Nintendo for their then next gen console, the Nintendo 64.

How would've things changed if the American branch had convinced their executives to use SGI tech.
>>
>>4168489
It would've been an enormous benefit since there was nothing wrong with SGI's chipset in the end (although it did reputedly take until 1995/1996 to finish).

The issues with N64's hardware have more to do with the stuff surrounding SGI's chipset, like the bottlenecked single channel unified memory and the decision to go with cartridges. Had Sega not gone down this path, the SGI Saturn would've been a 3D powerhouse on the level of a Pentium equipped 3dfx Voodoo.

The only real question is whether Sega would have risked releasing it one year (or more) after the Playstation.
>>
>>4168497
The Saturn honestly would have done much better if it had waited until 95-96. The PSX would have got a big foothold to begin with, sure, but maybe Sega would have had time to make a real Sonic game at launch if the launch was much later.
>>
It would have still failed.

PlayStation.
>>
>>4168503
Agreed. I remember when Saturn and PSX came out and I thought the other kids who liked Playstation were nuts because the Saturn was actually the better system. Unfortunately Sega screwed the pooch in several different ways with that system, mostly games though.
>>
>>4168503
I think it would have been fine for them to do something like a worldwide release at the end of 1995. Other than Ridge Racer, nothing significant happened in PSX's first year of 1994-1995. Arguably Sega botching the early Saturn launch gave the PlayStation more credibility and momentum.

On that note, SGI's chip was technically ready for 1995 but the yields were reportedly too low and temperature too high for Nintendo's liking. I guess it would have still been fabbed on the 500nm process (which would have made the chip fairly big too). Fabbing the chip at 350nm in 1996, and lowering its clockspeed from 66.6mhz to 62.5mhz is what fixed those issues for N64. A larger, hotter version of SGI's chip would mean higher manufacturing costs for release in 1995, but Sega never seemed too adverse to having higher manufacturing costs unlike Nintendo. Even so it would probably still be cheaper to produce than Saturn.
>>
Why is /vr/ so enamored with Saturn?
>>
>>4168612
Because 2D is love, 2D is life.
>>
>>4168612
Of major gaming consoles, it has some of the most unrecognized potential and games left unknown to the west.
>>
>>4168612
Because it had enduring popularity in Japan while fading fast in every other market, so it's catalog is mostly quirky Japanese games.
>>
>>4168637
Are they still left unknown though, racketboy and metal jesus rocks covered all of them
>>
>>4168489
Hard to say, the Saturn had some benefits, internal memory, memory carts that weren't measured in blocks. The biggest disappointment I had buying a PSX was that it required memory cards, a fact I was not aware of before buying one during its first Christmas. There is a lot that can be speculated on, if the Saturn had ad support it probably would have helped.
>>
>>4168489
N64 had no dedicated sound chip in the end. While the Saturn did. SOJ and SOA should have taken more time to analyze and double-check the hardware specs to at least make the Saturn able to compress audio on its own, if not also remove DSP 1(and maybe also turn down Bernie if possible.)
>>
>>4168645
And EOPs feel super hardcore for playing them.
>>
>>4168489
>How would've things changed if the American branch had convinced their executives to use SGI tech.

I no way whatsoever since Sega screwed up their good name by then, it wouldn't have had Genesis compatibility, and Sony still had cheaper hardware and much, much better deals for the developers.
>>
>>4168612
because it is the ultimate hipster console.
>>
>>4168676
>EOP
You can quit pretending to be superior because you know a couple words of some shitty third-world language, son.
>>
>>4168645
Saturn faded in japan 97 there and playstation had 3 times more quirky games.
>>
Even N64 didn't have the hardware chops for a proper 3D Sonic. That didn't happen until Dreamcast.
>>
File: 1501442389056.jpg (20KB, 207x253px) Image search: [Google]
1501442389056.jpg
20KB, 207x253px
>>4168725
>Webm
Source for that stuff?
>>
>>4168552
I remember when my friends and I heard about PlayStation the name was utter cringe to our ears.
What the fuck kind of fag shit is PlayStation?
>>
>>4168691
nihon is glorious first world nation. Better than wherever you are from.
>>
>>4168912
For now, maybe. In a generation or two, Japan will become third-world-tier due to their men forgetting how to procreate, and will be forced to import shitskins en masse, which they've already started doing.
>>
>>4168929
>forced
Top meme.
>>
>>4168934
Japan is pretty much fucked, lad.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/01/asia/japan-migrants-immigration/index.html
>>
>>4168940
>cnn
Kill yourself
>>
Will a Japanese Saturn plug into my US TV and electrical outlet or should I just get a modded US one for double the price?
>>
>>4169030
It'll work fine.
>>
>>4168673
>N64 had no dedicated sound chip in the end. While the Saturn did.
That's cause Nintendo was cheap and decided to double up the vertex shader in SGI's chip into a makeshift sound processor. If having a dedicated sound chip was important to Sega there's no reason they couldn't have SGI and a dedicated sound chip at the same time.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.