[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>want to get HotD so I can buy a light gun and also play Virtua

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

>want to get HotD so I can buy a light gun and also play Virtua Cop the way it was meant to after all these years
>look up prices
>Japanese version hits about $25
>US version is well over $100

Wasn't expecting that. Was this game rare?
>>
>>4165641
Welcome to your first day on /vr/! Yes you missed the boat on this stuff being cheap. Please try not to have too big a tantrum over it.
>>
look into back up loading solutions for saturn like pseudo saturn and anticipate the satisfier loader.

also, it may just be the tv I was using at the time but I think the guns are tied to the timing standards of the game region, and ntsc-j and ntsc-u are very slightly different so I don't think you can use a jp gun with a na copy of virtua cop 2, just as an example. I noticed my shots seemed oddly inaccurate especially towards the edge of the display.
>>
>>4165645
Why is the Japanese version cheaper, though?

I have a AR+4M, is playing that one just as good?

It's not like HotD has good voice acting (in fact it's pretty notorious for quite the opposite).
>>
>>4165641
>"BASED on the monstrous arcade hit"
KEK
they KNOW the port was shit
>>
>>4165665
>Why is the Japanese version cheaper, though?
because you find more copy?
>>
>>4165681
Is that something you know or just assume based on what's been said here? Like did the US version actually get a low distribution?
>>
>>4165683
Nigga, it's Sega Saturn. Nobody bought that shit in America. Every game that isn't total shovelware is expensive. Just import everything.
>>
>>4165883
>Every game that isn't total shovelware is expensive.
It's the same for popular consoles like Megadrive/Genesis, PS1, and so on. Many people had these consoles both in Japan and US, but 99% JP copies are cheaper.
>>
>>4165883
>Nobody bought it in the Americas
Sure it didn't sell as well as both the PS1 and the N64, but to my knowledge it did marginally to slightly better in the USA and Canada than in Europe.
>Expensive
I get you. But what about Nights, Megaman 8 and Sonic Jam?
>>
>>4165919
Sure, but the difference is very pronounced on Saturn, where JP copies routinely cost a tenth as much as US copies.

>>4165924
>but to my knowledge it did marginally to slightly better in the USA and Canada than in Europe
Marginal to slightly better than almost nothing is still almost nothing, my dude.
>what about Nights, Megaman 8 and Sonic Jam?
1. Not that many (US) copies produced, because the Saturn wasn't selling well (more in the case of Megaman than Nights and Sonic Jam)
2. High demand (Nights is the Saturn's killer app, etc)
>>
House of the Dead was pretty hard to find even when it was new, lightgun games in general tended to ship in lower numbers.
>>
It should be pointed out, OP, that lightguns don't work without a CRT.
>>
>>4165641
Saturn didn't do well in the US so shit for it is hard to find, people just threw that shit away back in the day.
>>
>>4166021
Nobody was throwing out a $400 game console, they simply weren't buying in the first place.
>>
File: Akimbo_fun.jpg (662KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Akimbo_fun.jpg
662KB, 2592x1944px
>>4165641
I think it is almost across the board where all the US versions are more costly than JP versions because very few people bought Saturn games.

In the case of House of the Dead, I remember it was a late release (not last releases) when the Saturn was already deemed unwanted from retailers in comparison to Playstation games if they hadn't already refused to stock Sega items (Walmart, KayBee Toys, etc.) just reinforces the perception. Poor reviews citing its textures being lower than what a flip phone can handle did not help. I scooped it up when it was on clearance at Best Buy for $30 as they were phasing out carrying Saturn games, in its day because I heard that the blood is red while the Japanese version has the blood as green (it was a 90s thing). The Japanese version is even cheaper now, probably in the single digits, with the Japanese Saturn being a success in that region and large quantity produced.

Also now with so few people having CRTs to use for the game, copies should be available. The good news is that some people are developing methods to get an attachment for lightguns to work with modern displays. So perhaps there may be an uptick in the desire for lightgun games again once that project gets completed.
>>
>>4165991
I have a CRT but it's one of those that has a flat glass panel instead of a curved one.
>>
>>4165641
DO NOT BUY THE SATURN VERSION OF THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD!

IT SUCKS!

GET IT ON ANOTHER SYSTEM!
>>
>>4166430
Windows?
>>
>>4166438
There is no such thing as an arcade perfect port of the original HotD, and there will likely never be one (I think the story is that Sega no longer has the source code). Short of playing on an original Model 2 board, you're going to be stuck with either a degraded port or emulating the arcade version on PC.
>>
>>4166430
Uh...what do you suggest, exactly? There aren't many options.
>>
>>4166567
The only official ways are inferiorm unfortunately. As I said above, if you play one of the ports, you're going to be playing something that looks fairly crappy.

Looks like someone made a comp video of PC and Saturn. PC looks maybe slightly better in this video? I haven't played the Saturn version on real hardware in a long time and never played the PC port:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMpqlGldPpI

Overall though you still run into stuff like seeing through the Cyril zombie's torso when it collapses on the ground due to the torso's mesh not connecting well to the legs. This isn't the case in the arcade version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcDyrrRR_e4

There really aren't too many options, though, so I guess you have to take what you can get.
>>
>>4165641
I recently bought the PC version for 50 cents and it's a better port. Even if you shelled out for a VGA CRT and a 60hz light gun you'd still be ahead.
>>
I wish i could buy a HOTD arcade machine, but they cost around 9000R$ here in Brazil :/
>>
>>4165641
fun fact: the us art work for this game has the word sega saturn on the front the wrong way.
possibly due it being rushed
>>
>>4168509
I seem to vaguely recall someone who worked at Tantalus or something talking about the development of the port in a YouTube comment section.
>>
>want to play HotD
>go to arcade and play HotD

ty based northern colorado
>>
>>4171136
Is your name Eric or Dylan?
>>
Play it on PC?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P5J20LxXhc

Looks like it'd be just fine.
>>
>>4171143
No, emulate the Model 2 version.
>>
>>4171139
I wish :/
>>
>>4165641
I think it's rare for the U.S., especially since not that many Sega Saturns were sold in the U.S., so can't expect House Of The Dead to sell well here too.
>>
>>4165641
I remember it being called "House Of The Dead". So why is there an extra "the" on the cover? Is this a Mandela Effect?
>>
Arcade may be the best, but Saturn looks perfectly playable from what Ive seen, PC on the other hand...
>>
>>4173017
The narrator says THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD.
>>
>>4165641
i own house of dead japanese version for the saturn. got it fro 20 bucks. plays exactly the same and is even in english. just buy that version.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.