[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>We will never get a successor to the GPD XD that's running

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 7

File: three analog sticks.jpg (15KB, 445x500px) Image search: [Google]
three analog sticks.jpg
15KB, 445x500px
>We will never get a successor to the GPD XD that's running the latest Android and has a 1080p screen and Tegra X1 chip
>GPD will continue to make cumbersome PC handhelds with compromised button layouts due to a physical keyboard being required for Wangblows

Seriously, fuck the Win. It's barely portable and has a shit battery life. The XD was the perfect retro emulation portable and it's getting phased out for a glorified Sega Nomad.
>>
why not just use an original PSP, anon

you can get emulators for all the major retro consoles, including n64/ps1
>>
>>4164475
I have one. Not being able to do a proper integer scale blows and even the XD is starting to show its age.
>>
>>4164475
Don't kid yourself, the PSP is terrible for N64 emulation.
>>
>>4164465
The button layout on the Win is superior, even with the keyboard taking up space.
Get both and try it yourself, the Win is much more comfortable to hold with your fingers on the controls.
>>
>>4164465
>It's barely portable and has a shit battery life.
wut

it's the same size as the XD and the battery life is only around two hours less when playing 8-bits
>>
>>4164475

>>4164475

Low battery life, bad d-pad, can't play SNES games that aren't SMW, ghosting on the earlier models and interlacing on the later ones.
>>
>>4164465
We will. Things are becoming so open and modular that hackaday faggots will be making shit like that within a year. Two years ago I built an A320 like device using only modules, a hobby box and old controller parts. I did one that was 2/3 the size as well. All at home. I used a CNC to mill the case but anyone could accomplish the same thing with a simple drill and a little more time/effort.
>>
>>4164465
>16:9
>perfect
(you)
>>
>>4167283
the Win is 720p though, it scales 240p perfectly fullscreen and with the IPS panel you can't even see the black bars like you would on a shitty panel
>>
File: screeenshot.jpg (86KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
screeenshot.jpg
86KB, 1280x720px
mandatory post before pissdora pyro shills arrive
>>
>>4167461
tnx
>>
>>4165105
>The button layout on the Win is superior
(You)
>>
>>4164465
Uhhh...

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Gray-Joy-Con/dp/B01LTHP2ZK/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1501849846&sr=1-2&keywords=nintendo%2Bswitch&th=1
>>
>>4167789
Absolute shite for emulation.
>>
>>4165101
N64 emulation is terrible period.
>>
>>4164465
>XD
Go back to >>>/r/eddit
>>
>>4167823
3 seconds...
>>
>>4165347
??

The battery easily lasted at least 5 or 6 hours when playing things off of the memory stick.

The dpad wasn't bad at all.

And...huh? I never had any problems emulating SNES games.

Didn't have any ghosting either. Had one of the original model PSPs, bought in late 2005. I think. I know it had firmware 1.5 when I bought it.
>>
>>4167785
have you hold both of them in your hands? unless you're a 12 year old the buttons and sticks are totally wrong on the XD to comfortable have your thumbs on them
>>
>>4168128
>And...huh? I never had any problems emulating SNES games.
option discarded, SNES is horrible on the PSP, stop playing the top 5 first party games
>>
>>4164465
I'm still rolling with my Nvidia Shield Portable for emulation on the go. Been wanting to get the K1 tablet but I'd need some backseat table kind of like the airport ones to even play comfortably using a controller. My only irk with the portable is that the fan in the back catches all sorts of dust do I've had to open it at least two times a month to clean it out.
>>
>>4168917
Nice try Shrek, the XD's layout is perfect
>>
>>4171016
just try both, obviously you just don't know better
>>
>>4171068
your thumbs naturally move down at a 45 degree angle, i do know better
>>
File: theresaretardonvr.jpg (101KB, 1020x970px) Image search: [Google]
theresaretardonvr.jpg
101KB, 1020x970px
>>4171086
They do, but this isn't relevant here, because you don't hold the unit so that your thumbs are on it from the sides (bottom picture), you hold it so the thumbs are on it from the bottom (upper picture), how else would you hold your index fingers on the triggers?

You outsmarted yourself right now. As I said, you just don't know better, try both before posting.
>>
>>4171113
lel you really do have ogre hands
>>
File: win.jpg (49KB, 680x481px) Image search: [Google]
win.jpg
49KB, 680x481px
>Home button right next to the power button
>L3/R3 underneath the volume keys
>Start/Select near the very bottom of the console

Defend this, Winfags.
>>
>>4171159
>Also, you seem to be unaware the Win is a good deal longer than the XD.
No, it's really not, wight is exactly the same and height is a few millimeters more. You hold both still exactly the same way.
The DS is even a worse design, I've seen that said in every GPD related thread. (Won't state my own opinion.)

Are you guys pulling that shit out your ass?
I have two XD's, one DS Lite and a Win. Try them all before thinking you know everything.
>>
>>4171169
>Home button right next to the power button
not used in retro games

>L3/R3 underneath the volume keys
also not used in retro games

>Start/Select near the very bottom of the console
this isn't that much of a problem, you can also remap them to number keys or "-" and "=" for example, same with L3/R3 if you play something that require those

checkmate atheists
>>
>>4164465
>android v4.4
>runs apps in virtual machines and worsens performance
>perfect
Stop with this shitty meme. Buying a new android device and a controller is a better investment.

>>4167821
Super Smash Brothers work fine on Oukitel K10000 Pro.
>>
>>4171169
not that those aren't awful design decisions, but
- the power buttons feels entirely different than any other button, it's hard to hit by accident
- I barely play anything that desperately needs L3/R3.
- I'm also fine with where Start/Select is even though I wish they were higher
it's still worth it to be able to play weaker PC games and emulators in a handheld.
>>
>>4171206
SHILL!!!!

...just kidding, but you can't say anything positive about a device, specially one you own, without being called a shill these days

I literary can't understand what we are supposed to be using then, PSPs and Pentium 4 laptops we dislike for daily use so we don't shill them?
>>
>>4171169
Actually having a keyboard at all is shitty. They should have bundled a compact wireless keyboard instead.
However, windows gets access to windows games, unlike android. And there are plenty good pre-2008 windows games I'd love to play on the go. That's the only good thing GPD WIN has.
>>
>>4171224
>Actually having a keyboard at all is shitty. They should have bundled a compact wireless keyboard instead.
What? Let's make a portable product less portable? When the keyboard fits easily already?

>That's the only good thing GPD WIN has.
Obviously... not the literary superior hardware (like IPS display, not just CPU/GPU power) compared to any other portable emulation device
>>
File: New-Moto-Mods-NoypiGeeks-3.jpg (149KB, 750x422px) Image search: [Google]
New-Moto-Mods-NoypiGeeks-3.jpg
149KB, 750x422px
>>4164465
In all honesty this might be the best choice. Moto Mod Gamepad for Moto phones. My phone supports it so I'll buy it whenever it's out. Modern Android phone emulation and this will be killer.
>>
>>4171238

>controller on backwards
for what purpose?
>>
>>4171241
The bottom picture shows how the mod looks like without the phone.
>>
>>4171230
Removing the keyboard doesn't make it less portable at all since it has a touch screen. And a compact keyboard is pocket-size too.
The keyboard is shit anyways and irrelevant for it's targeted market which is a portable console where you'd mainly use the controller. Any game requiring a keyboard will barely be playable unless it's turn based, so an external keyboard is a must in this case. The keyboard just wastes space which could've been used for a better battery or a non-shit button placement.
You still need a keyboard and think it's important? GPD Pocket is a better device in that case.

>>4171230
>superior hardware
I'd take an android phone simply due to it being a better OS for retro gaming and a better "pocket OS" in general.
>>
>>4171254
>I'd take an android phone simply due to it being a better OS for retro gaming and a better "pocket OS" in general.
>he dosn't have a custom launcher
it's windows you dip, you think you can't make it start up in anything you want?
>>
>>4171254
>The keyboard just wastes space which could've been used for a better battery or a non-shit button placement.
Tech illiterate detected, the keyboard has nothing to do with battery.
The button placement is as perfect as it gets for a device you hold like that, seen the DS? Even the GPD XD sucks more with it's bad button layout against the Win.
>>
>>4171265
>it's windows
That's exactly what's wrong with it
>>
>>4171274
go for android or linux then with their inferior emulators if we talk purely /vr/ and not the ability to play windows games
>>
>>4171276
>inferior emulators
>he thinks you can't play windows games on Linux
Lel
>>
>>4164475
SNES emulation on the PSP is shit, frame skipping is a requirement. The PSP was a viable option ten years ago, but there's better devices these days.
>>
Can the Win run the Bettle PSX core in RetroArch? I ain't getting it if I'm forced to use ePSXe.
>>
File: bored calen.jpg (61KB, 450x725px) Image search: [Google]
bored calen.jpg
61KB, 450x725px
I bought an XD and I fucking hate it because every single emulator has significant input lag. Is there any way to fix it? I've fiddled with options in the software for hours and nothing works.
>>
>>4171283
ARM you tech illiterate
and no, wine with qemu like binary translation is fucking garbage
>>
>>4171345
It can run both.
But RetroArch sucks so fucking much with it's shit and outdated cores and limited configurability, why on earth would you use it?
>>
>>4171408
Kill yourself.
>>
>>4171361
nope
android shit
>>
>>4171361
I always hear these types of complaints, but I wouldn't have been aware that input lag if there wasn't so much buzz about it. Am I desensitized or are you just am aspie?
>>
>>4167820
No, it's NeoGeo & arcade emulation is excellent.
>>
>>4171361
>>4171589

XD is an outdated piece of hardware without support for newer versions of Android. It runs 4.4 (as far as I remember) which had a lot of input lag. Starting from 5.0 input lag was much less noticable.
>>
>>4164465
Getting one of these +) never knew they existed. can't wait to play some swords and serpents on the go.
>>
>>4164484

XD is still fine for everything up to Dreamcast. Literally the only thing I want from it that it cannot do is Wii and Gamecube emulation.
>>
>>4171691
how does it handle pso dc?
>>
>>4171706
Every Dreamcast game runs flawlessly on it. I can't find a video for PSO but it has more than enough performance for DC, just not enough for GCN/Wii

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWCYbzMd1Ts
>>
>>4171715
Sweet!
>>
Can the GPD be hooked up to a TV and use a blue tooth or usb controller on it?

If so I might replace my retropi with this as a "hybrid" a la switch that I can have on my couch but also take anywhere.
>>
>>4171941

I don't think it has bluetooth actually. A weird omission for an Android device.
>>
>>4167282
This guys got the idea. Only make a version of that pgs labs dual booting phoneputer. That would be a raging boner blower.
>>
>>4171941
>>4171943
What GPD?
XD? No.
Win does have bluetooth also displayport and HDMI out.
>>
>>4167282
>>4171965
Ahaha, delusional, best shit you will end up is a Pi Zero in a tin can or another Pandora/Pyra
>>
>>4171361
The only way to fix it is to update android to 5.0+ as the previous versions didn't compile apps into native code, they installed them as virtual applications instead. There's no input lag on v6.0 and above, except on Bluetooth controllers which are unusable at least on my devices.
This is exactly why you shouldn't buy XD for emulation. Buy anything with a newer android version. There are lots of phones and tablets with good enough batteries.
>>
>>4171361
>>4172214
XD has a updated ROM though
>>
>>4173236
Since when? Wasn't it officially abandoned at launch?
>>
>>4173252
cumunnity
>>
>>4173262
>unofficial ROMs
Enjoy crashing. Also,
>community justifies planned obsolescence
No, it's still a shit device and GPD deserves no money for it.
>>
>>4173427
Obviously the XD is shit, nobody said it isn't. Win is miles ahead and with actual support. Anon just asked a question about XD though.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.