[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone here ever had a really bad experience at a retro game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 14

File: IMG_4292.jpg (208KB, 718x991px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4292.jpg
208KB, 718x991px
Has anyone here ever had a really bad experience at a retro game store? Overpriced, terrible selection, fake / broken games, bad owners, etc. If so tell us your story here.
>>
>>4163679
>ever had a really bad experience at a retro game store?

A new retro game shop opened in my home town so I went to check it out. They had an okay selection but not one game had a price tag. Asked how much a snes game was and the guy told me to hang on while the guy goes on eBay to check prices directly in front of me where I can see everything. Needless to say they didn't even make it 3 months.
>>
>>4163740
I've had that happen before at pawn shops. You can pull up eBay on your phone and know the price they're going to tell you before they even come back to tell you. One time a shop had a copy of Jackie Chan on NES I asked how much, and the dude came back and said $190. I looked up the game on ebay and sorted only by highest price first, sure enough $185 + $4.75 shipping. lol
>>
>bring game up to counter
>cashier grins and cheerfully says "Hey, that's a great game!"
>tell him "I know, asshole. That's why I'm buying it."
Why do these scumbags find it necessary to do this shit?
>>
>>4163679
I bought a copy of Friday the 13th on NES for $20 at a place. I considered it because it was the last NES game I needed for my collection but I came to my senses before I left the store but after I had already paid. I asked if I could just give the game back for a refund and the clerk simply pointed at the door that had a sign saying "All Sales Final". I've never been back since.

On the plus side, I did buy a few SNES consoles from the place for $30 a piece. Both had nice shells but one was not working. I swapped the shell on the non-functioning one with my current yellowed, functioning SNES and returned the now yellowed, non-functioning SNES for store credit. That wasn't the only time I got non-functioning items from that place.
>>
>>4163679
Yeah. I actually have a retro game store only like 5 min from my house but the service there is so terrible I avoid it. I haven't went in there for years. The workers in there are somecof the most elitist fucks who will ignore you if you ask for help.
>>
>>4163740
This.
I once told to one of those dicks that if i wanted eBay prices i would check eBay, he told me that if i didn't like the prices i could go fuck myself, later that day when my wife came from work i told her if she could buy me those games, when she went there, fucking asshole sold all the games to her for around 50 bucks, when he was asking around 250 bucks when i went there.
>>
>>4163679
I've never had a truly bad experience at a retro store, just a series of mediocre ones. The first one I ever visited (and still do on occasion, because it's so close) is pretty inflated on most of their prices. I bought Power Stone 2 there for $120; this was before I knew ANYTHING about the retro market other than the fact that it was reasonable for some retro games to appreciate in value, so that was my own stupid fault for not doing some research first.

There's nothing comfier than taking a nice long drive to a store and coming back with a new game to play, but unfortunately, after exploring all the retro stores in my area, I'm pretty much done with them at this point. I want to start collecting more obscure games/consoles like 3DO, PC-FX, Japanese games in general (especially on the Saturn and NGPC), etc, stuff that I'm very unlikely to just happen upon in any store. So eBay is really my only option.

There was a store I visited in NYC that had a notably nice selection though, very nice selection of Japanese Saturn games and even some boxed AES games, which is the first time I've ever physically seen any of those in my life. Even they had some stupidly inflated prices though. They were selling the special edition of Love Live School Idol Paradise for $100 when you can buy it new on Amazon for $50. It's not even retro or hard to find, they just decided to add $50 to the price of the game. Like, what the fuck? Did they just expect people to not check on the price of the game or something?
>>
>>4163775
Yeah, people who shit on someone who is just trying to make friendly chit-chat sure are scumbags.
>>
>>4163679
They check online for prices, most stuff isn't marked. No common things like memory cards and 70% sports games.
>>
I used to really like Game-X-Change. That's where I'd get my Dreamcast games after it kicked the bucket.
>>
File: 1375654719476[1].jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1375654719476[1].jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
Repost from ~4 years ago

>All I want is a fucking Nintendo brand 60 to 72 pin adapter without paying $30 for a damn Gyromite on Ebay
>Go to dirt mall where I know for a fact there's a little old Asian lady with stacks of NES carts.
> Flea Market closes at 7 on Sunday. Get there before 5 because I know places be closing early.
>Enter anxiously. The chain link is wrapped around her stall. My dreams are all dead and buried.
> Try to salvage the trip by checking all the Mexicans game booths
> Over 9000 "Original Nintendo? No. No mas"
>Holy shit a white guy with a video game booth! Perhaps some caucasian camaraderie?
>He's playing fucking CoD with some kids. Pic Related. Ignoring me. I'm looking around back in his stacks.
>Like fifty Saturn games tucked away but I can't read the titles!
>Try to read Saturn games without bothering dude's game.
>Lean over counter cranking neck. Maybe this might be a signal he's got a customer?
>"Hey, can I help you? You don't need to lean over my counter like that"
>My normal charm isn't going to do it here
>"You got NES games?"
>"Maybe" (wtf?) "What do you need"
>"I'm looking for five screw black label ca-
>"I don't got it"
>Oooookay... "Well I see you got some Saturn titles up there could you tell me what you have?"
>"I got what? Titles?"
>"Yeah those Saturn games"
>"Maybe I can help you with that what do you want to know?"
>"Umm.. What titles do you have?"
>goes behind counter and pulls out a little clipboard with game lists broken down by system
> "Oh okay you got game lists cool I didn't see these"
>"Yeah it's so dudes don't need to lean over my counter"
>Fuck this list has Shining Force 3 on it, which I need. Panzer Dragon Saga, Shining Wisdom, Dragon Force.
> Decide to start slow and test the waters

cot'd
>>
File: 3DO%20cover%20US[2].jpg (143KB, 460x866px) Image search: [Google]
3DO%20cover%20US[2].jpg
143KB, 460x866px
>>4164013

>"How much for Alone In The Dark?"
> goes behind counter to hidden computer and typity type type. Great.
>"What do you go by? Ebay low?"
>"I go by supply and demand."
>"So... Ebay?"
>"Supply and demand. What game again?"
>"Alone in the Dark"
>"One Eyed Jacks Revenge?"
>"The list just says Alone in the Dark"
>"That's the only one for Saturn"
>Is this guy fucking with me? "Then I guess it must be that one"
">I don't have it"
> Then why is it on your fucking list? By this point I've had it dancing with this guy. "How much for Shining Force 3?"
"I don't have it"
>"Panzer Dragoon Saga"
>"I don't have it. All the RPGs are gone"
>"So what do you have?"
>"I gave you the list"

So I burned down his kiosk and fucked his daughter.
>>
>>4163679
Actually one opened up in my small city last year.

Super excited and went in to buy something and support them. Everything was twice the ebay price.

Been in there several times, never bought anything. I give them 6 months until they quit.
>>
>>4164013
>Lean over counter cranking neck.
Oh man I hate when I have to do this, so many stores put huge amounts of games way behind the counter and I always feel like a weirdo just standing there staring at them.
>>
>Be me because who else would I be
>Go to local game store
>Walking down the aisle
"Oh cool, they have everything divided by generation. That's pretty sweet."
>Get to looking at things
>No price tags
>Walk up to cashier
"How much for Saturn?"
>He looks at me, looks at the Saturn, looks back at me
"$200"
>Hand him the Saturn
>TooRichForMyBlood.avi
>Later that night
>Look at prices on eBay
>See a few for $100-$150
>Game shop closes down 5 months later
>Come back for Closing Sale
>Same Saturn
>Same guy
>Ask price
>$30
>Go grab a bunch of games
"How much for these?"
>Looks at stack
>There's roughly 30 games here, Nights, KoF, all the good shit in this stack
"$50"
"You ever manage to sell anything Saturn to anyone?"
-"Not really. You're the only one who ever looked at it."
"Oh, well. Have a great life."

Felt great to watch that store go under.
>>
My bad experiences involving retro stores involve working at one.

>idiots trying to get hundreds of dollars for their yoshi's story because some youtuber posted a video about the blockbuster version but failed to specify
>idiots coming in asking if we have rare game x, and then getting mad when it costs the same as it costs anywhere else
>idiots not understanding that the NES is a finicky piece of shit when they were a kid, and it hasn't changed now, and no your machine isn't broken, that's just how the NES is, we can swap it but it'll be the same because they're all like that

And best of all,
>"haha i'd buy this game but it's definitely a fake"
>pop that shit open in front of him and show him comparison pictures between the board and pictures of it online, matches perfectly
>face turns really red, mumbles and leaves the store in a huff

Plenty of retro places are scummy, but we actually tried to be cool and every customer was either an asshole or an idiot. If we gave people advice, our bosses would tell us "customers were complaining you were acting like a know-it-all" and if we didn't, we'd get yelled at all the same. Don't even get me started on having to accept trade ins from people who were selling their younger sibling's shit, thieves, etc.
>>
>>4164350
>NES is a finnicky peice of shit
>we can swap it but it'll be the same because they're all like that

Do some fucking QC before you sell shit to people and you wont have this problem r-tard.
>>
We only have one retro game store in my town, and it's one of those shitty ones where they sell old CDs, vinyl, and used phones too so you always see loud hood rats and ghetto trash in there... The store never has anything good because the only people selling are people selling their phones for I'm guessing drug money (my town sucks). Nothing very rare or good ever walks in there. Most games are just shitty sports games. This store once sold me a Game Boy game that didn't work even though they're strict as fuck about what they buy and have a guarantee that every thing bought from their store works. He said "sorry, I guess the pins rusted out." What kind of shit is that? He let me pick a game of equal or lesser value to it but I just picked something random cause I wanted to get out of there quickly and because most of the other games were ass.
>>
There was a place called City Echoes here in town that dealt in retro games along with modern games and movies. Their retro games were "as is, no refunds" so it was way easy to get burned, especially on Dreamcast games. 3 out of the 5 I purchased were unreadable. The location in my town was only open for a couple months and the other locations have since closed too.

The only "retro" stuff I buy anymore is PC and it's only from yard sales and thrift stores. I gave up on collecting the others long ago.
>>
>>4163679
Got one in my area that is totally independent. The guys there are cool as fuck and they know their shit. I almost burned a bridge with them a few months ago though
>friends with neighbor
>neighbor has mentally retarded son who loves vidya (he's actually how I found out about the store)
>took him there because he said he wanted a new controller for his ps3
>we go in, he buys one
>a week later he asks me if I'll take him back because the controller isn't working
>he goes in and tells the clerk that he wants his money back for the controller because he bought one off of Amazon that he liked better. It works perfectly, he just ordered one off the internet before I took him to the store last time and he didn't want to wait for that one to come in so he bought this new one from the store solely to hold him over for 2 or 3 days
>dude begrudgingly gives him his money back and tells him to stay the fuck out of the store if he's going to just start "borrowing" shit for a week
>I feel like a fucking dickhole for letting him do it, even though the little shit lied to me.

I've been in since and I still get along well with the guys there, but they always mention that they don't trust that kid at all. Apparently he tried to sell them another console that he had tried and failed to mod, and he had tried to sell it to them knowing it was broken. Retarded or not, that kid is a little fucker.
>>
>>4163927
>game-x-change

I get nightmares just thinking of all the thousands of dollars worth of stuff (in todays resell prices) I traded to them for practically nothing as a kid
>>
File: dog.jpg (90KB, 630x472px) Image search: [Google]
dog.jpg
90KB, 630x472px
>live in chicago
>all the game stores are in trendy parts of the city, high prices
I mostly emulate but fuck when I want something it sucks.
>>
>>4164350
I dont think I could ever work at a retro store. It's just get too depressing constantly buying worthless sports games from smelly niggers and meth heads all day and maybe making a $20 sale or 2 per hour. I wonder how those stores stay in business because it seems like 90% of their day is just providing low life's with crack money
>>
>>4163679
>really bad experience
No
>Overpriced, terrible selection, fake / broken games, bad owners, etc.
Absolutely. But I fail to see how knowing a few months in advance that a worthless douche is going to be out of business is a really bad experience.
>>
>>4164326
>You're the only one who ever looked at it.
I feel like this is me with most of the merchandise at most retro stores I visit. On the rare occasions that I've actually seen other people in the stores, I've never seen anyone ask about or buy anything even remotely uncommon, people just ask about Nintendo games for the N64/Gamecube and sports/FPS games for the PS2/PS3/360. Not even the SNES gets any love. Most of the games that I see at retro stores will probably just sit there rotting until the store goes out of business.
>>
>>4164481
Same.

One day I was in a store that had Sega genesis' on display. They had a gen 1 high definition, a gen 2, and a gen 3, all for $35. I immediately snatched up the high definition model, and to be nice I pointed out that it should be worth more than the other 2 because it's the most desirable model. You know, just in case they werent aware for whatever reason. Dude said "I know, but no one cares about Sega stuff anyway so this stuff never sells". Bought 2 more high def models from them that day.

Lol I feel bad because they know that I know a thing or 2, but I only ever buy consoles and controllers from them because I'm strictly an everdrive / burned disc fag
>>
>>4163765
>Highest price first
>always that!
>NOT LOWEST ONE

No wonder these assholes die and fuck everything.
>>
>>4164362

Hey fucktard, actually, not only would we completely refurbish them, we would also replace the pins with brand new ones. The NES has always been a shitty console that you have to turn off and on a few times before you get it to work, especially if you're the average retard looking to catch a glimpse of their own childhood. If you genuinely think the NES isn't a finicky piece of shit, you never owned one and should probably sit down and shut the fuck up. Christ, you're probably even one of those retards that genuinely thinks blowing in a cart is fine. You can lick the shit out of my asshole.
>>
The only experience I have is a guy that sells in a flea market
He usually ask 15-20 bucks for good old games
and around 40 for most consoles
He test them in front of you
>>
>>4163679
>go to place that opened up in town
>Castlevania 1/Zelda 2 are $40 for a loose cart
>go to one in the city
>snes section is literally 99% sports
>one of the few non sports games is some educational game about asthma
>in a plastic ziplock with a $200 price tag on it

The former is no longer in business
>>
>>4164823

Bronkie the Brachiosaurus is actually pretty rare, though.
>>
>>4164827
Outside of that, their prices used to be pretty decent. Bought Pokemon Gold for 8 bucks, Simon's Quest for 4, and TTYD for 15. Now i go there and see stuff as common as LttP and Pokemon Red for $40
>>
guy working at store: "Sonic's as good as games on Genesis get. Really, what's a better one?"

me: "Shinobi"

some other guy: "Castlevania Bloodlines"

guy working at store: *scoffs in disbelief*

Sonic's nice and all, but I was triggered. But seriously the employees at retro stores are decent folk, who are actually into the stuff and want to help. That's my experience anyway. Prices can get super jewy of course.

>>4164043
>so many stores put huge amounts of games way behind the counter and I always feel like a weirdo just standing there staring at them.
iktf

but i just lean over anyway
>>
>>4164604
I like this guy.
>>
We only have one retro game store in my city but they are fucking scumbags. They try to sell imports over price as fuck by saying "Well, we have it in stock here. If you order online it will take weeks for you to get the game. It's only fair to have the price go up." Game they tried selling me was Seiken Densetsu 3 for 60 dollars. Loose, no box, no manual, nothing but the cart.
They have also tried to changing disc on people. Happened to one of my friends who brought resident evil remake, only to come home with resident evil zero inside.
>>
It's so frustrating that buying online really is the best option. Retro game cons and swap meets let me haggle below webprices, but they always come with an entrance fee that negates any money I would save. And retro game stores let you see and buy before you try, but 90% of the time they're overpriced. I'm one of those faggots that actually likes finding games locally and "hunting", so just buy things online feels kind of lame to me. That and I'm paranoid that what gets sent will end up being shit. Help bros, I know I can get Einhaender for like 75 bucks at am upcoming con, but it costs like 30 to get in....
>>
>>4164876
>If you order online it will take weeks for you to get the game.

Yeah, because people these days aren't used to having stuff shipped to them. And besides, it isn't like these are hot new things that you've been anticipating, they're literally over a decade old, so if mere timeliness were an issue you'd have bought them years ago or just downloaded the ROM. Granted, it is nice to just be done with it and get it instantly, but I can't imagine paying a premium for it.

Fragile shit, on the other hand, I can see placing importance on not having it shipped.
>>
>>4164604
when my brothers n i were kids, we took off the top part of our NES and placed a heavy encyclopedia on top of the metal housing just above where you stick the cart. NES was a fickle nigger
>>
>>4163853
So your wife gave the guy a blowjob for a discount?
>>
>>4164892
>Retro game cons and swap meets let me haggle below webprices

What cons are you going to? Every year I go to the Retro Game Expo and every year no one will haggle with me. The free arcade is really the only reason to go.
>>
>>4163775
What's your problem?
>>
File: 1304376955947.png (457KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1304376955947.png
457KB, 600x450px
>>4164604
>we would also replace the pins with brand new ones.
Oh boy, cheap death grip replacement connectors that wear out just the same. Instead of just fixing the OEM pin connector.
>>
>>4164919
>RGE

In portland? I go to the same one, and I can haggle every time. How do you haggle? I can consistently ask for $5 off, and it's easy to get 10 or sometimes 15 if you buy another game you want at full price. So if you see one game that's already priced really well, pick it up and use it as leverage to drive the price down on something more expensive. I try to be a real nice person the entire time, and never take out my phone.

And remember the oldest trick in the book: only have as much cash visible as you're willing to spend. So you're about to buy that $90 game? Oh no, you've only got $80 in your wallet!
>>
>>4164901
So then what's the incentive to own a retro gaming store? If you can't compete with eBay prices, why not just have a 100% online store? It feels like you assholes want an immaculate retro gaming store with dozens of copies of mint Chrono Trigger for $10 each.
>>
>>4164604
>We completely refurbished them
>We replaced the good connector with chink garbage

Should've just taken it home and boiled the pins like a sane person, or done one better and install a blinking light win.

I agree the average NES is a peice of shit, but if you actually took the time to "refurbish" it then you wouldn't be getting people coming back because it would be working correctly you fucking moron.
>>
>>4164971
There is none. People love the idea of a retro game store but the reality is always harsh.

>Have to get there somehow
>No idea if they even have what you want, or really, anything you'd want
>Shit selection, most stores get picked through
>Any time something good does come in, it's immediately put behind glass, sold on eBay, or posted on the stores facebook page so it's sold same or next day.
>Pretty much guaranteed to be overpriced because of overhead
>Workers are all wage cucks working a shitty retail job so they all hate their life
>Returning something is an incredible hassle, because they don't want to take it back and give you back your money.
>Always give absolutely shit value for buying. You'd be better off selling on craigslist and saving yourself the gas for the prices you get from a game store

A brick and mortar store is a waste. An eBay, or Amazon store is so much more economical. No overhead. No need to deal with looky-loo's. People buy shit, and you ship it to them.

Say what you want about eBay, but as a buyer, hassle free returns, and the other buyer protections means buying is a shitload safer and more convenient than any store.

They'll all be gone within 10 years. Unless it's some stupid meme like Barcades, or they started offering some kind of rental service.
>>
>>4163775
You'll be dying alone.
>>
I had a cashier tell me that I'd get my purchase for free if I sucked his dick.
>>
>>4165025
Did you enjoy your free purchase?
>>
>>4163679

I called up this place and asked if they had any saturn games, 'yeah we got quite a few right now', hype and assumed the person knew what they were talking about as they worked there. get there, tell the guy at the counter I called earlier 'oh yeah, we just got in a bunch of stuff, I think like Sonic Adventure is in there' my heart sinks. he points me over, and I realize he was talking about dreamcast games. 'oh, my bad dude"
>>
>>4165065
Stores do not care about the phone, if they could, they would get rid of it, or automate it.

The phone exists solely to get you in the door. The same thing with stores not giving you a quote over email or the phone. They want you to bring your stuff to them because the likelihood of you leaving with it is basically zero.
>>
>>4163679
The store near me is pretty good
He sells everything for whats it worth and throws me deals on stuff
Its just one dude there with no employees
>>
I like certain stores. They have good sales and I can buy manuals or missing parts. The staff is friendly and helpful.
Other stores, horrible service, bad selection, prices higher then ebay.
Either way, my buying days are over. Now I just visit these stores to browse.
>>
>>4164987

>test unit in store
>show customer that unit works
>they bring it back the next day
>"B-B-B-BUHHH IT DOESN'T WW-W-W-W-WORK"
>hook it up
>show them it works
>first time every time
>"R-R-R-R-EFUND PWEASE"

Actually, no. Again, please feel free to lick the shit out of my butthole, dude. Fact remains that majority of tards that come into a retro store to buy shit don't actually want it.
>>
>>4165012

>no reason to go to a retro store

What about being able to see and test the product before you buy it, verify its authenticity to make sure you're not paying 200 dollars for a repro, and having a warranty/return/exchange policy in case something comes up?
>>
>>4165169
this, honestly
>we barely have enough money for overhead and labor!
>we can't give away costly things like customer satisfaction!
>deal with my special snowflake store!

one of these places just opened up about 25 miles away a month ago and it already has 1 star
>>
>>4164604
Anon, I like you. Please stay forever with us.
>>
>>4163679
>go into store
>just finished xxtra hot cheetos
>toot, or so i think
>shart hot shart sauce all over self
>checking out when it happens
>I wait about 2 mins and I am asked to leave
>>
>>4165169
Did you miss my entire post about hassle free returns on eBay? The buyer protection afforded by it?
>>
>>4165189

>buy game on Ebay
>pop it open, it's a repro
>go through customer service, send it back
>buy another copy on Ebay
>arrives in complete shit condition, nothing like the picture
>go through customer service, send it back
>etc. etc.

Maybe you've been lucky with your purchases, but some people like the peace of mind that comes from just being able to know exactly what they're getting.
>>
>>4165195
I've had exactly 3 bad deals on eBay
>spic sent me repro MVS games, got my money back and kept the games
>retard sent me an SNES and a bunch of games in a box with no padding, causing everything inside to be damaged, kept stuff, got money back
>guy sent me secret of mana instead of secret of evermore, he paid return shipping and I got my copy.

Peace of mind is exactly what eBay gives you.
>>
I live in Japan so the two stores I go for retro games are hard off/book off or manga souko.

Hard off is dirt cheap but the conditions of the old retro consules are dubious. Then again that's what happens when you buy a Saturn for a dollar.

Manga souko sells games and consoles in good quality but still they are a bit more expensive then they should be. If you expect me to pay twenty dollars for a new heiankyo alien you must be smoking some crazy shit, I have only met like one person on 4chan that had played it.
>>
File: 23.jpg (180KB, 633x485px) Image search: [Google]
23.jpg
180KB, 633x485px
Australia is hell on Earth if you want anything retro vidya related.

>any and every store that sells anything retro
>items are marked up 200%
>one guy expected me to pay $220 for a SNES that looked like it survived a house fire
>local flea markets have people trying to sell them for higher than ebay prices
>>
>>4165435
I just import from the States.
Usually get a few hundred dollars worth a time and pay for Fed Ex, a month or so ago I ordered a box full of goodies on a Friday afternoon and it arrived at my door Monday morning
>>
>>4165481
Was thinking about doing that or just ordering a Famicom and jap carts to give myself an excuse to start learning Japanese.
>>
>>4164968
>>4164987
So sick of this meme. OEM pin connectors aren't worth refurbishing over and over. Not to mention that anyone still using a front-loader in current year is a bandwagon faggot who's not actually playing games so it doesn't matter.
>>4165503
Started doing this in high school, best gaming decision I ever made. You don't even need to spend 100s at a time, especially with the Famicom. You can get a console for $25 shipped if you trawl eBay frequently. Get some multicarts or an EverDrive on AliExpress and you're golden.
>>
File: 1501606332303.jpg (59KB, 960x893px) Image search: [Google]
1501606332303.jpg
59KB, 960x893px
>>4165012
>People love the idea of a retro game store but the reality is always harsh.

Now I'm just shooting from the hip here(no bully ;_;) since I don't own or work at a retro game store but why don't the stores stay $5-$10 below the average going eBay price? I would be more inclined to shop there and turn in games for store credit in the process if I know that I'm not getting screwed over. As is, I've given up entirely on brick+mortar shops and strictly buy online.
>>
>>4163775
>tried to start a conversation with you based on a shared interest
>gets called an asshole
I feel bad for anyone who has to deal with you on a regular basis
>>
>>4165527
Its not a meme. The OEM connector can be restored to its former glory. The chink pin connectors are literal garbage.

Either OEM, or Blinking Light Win. Those are the solutions

>Only bandwagon faggots use frontloaders
Frontloaders are cheap. A toploader is expensive
>The famicom meme
Famicoms fucking suck. If you're using a flashcart, you shouldn't care about the connector because it should just stay in your console at all times.
>>
File: mudkip.jpg (30KB, 261x320px) Image search: [Google]
mudkip.jpg
30KB, 261x320px
>>4163679
I walked into a retro store in our mall just to browse and one of the college kids they hired popped out from behind a shelf like a fucking cartoon character.
>"Do you liek Mudkipz?"
(Oh shit why is this guy memeing irl)
Um, yeah I guess so.

Then he leads me to the counter and tried to sell me a sealed copy of Pokemon Silver. $150.
I told him "no thanks, I already have a complete copy" but then he said something like the battery in this one should still work.

1.) Why would I be interesting in Pokemon Silver if I liked Mudkips?
2.) Why would a 18 year old (at the time) be willing to drop $150 on an employee recommendation?
>>
The only one in my area I'm aware of isn't too bad, they typically sell below eBay prices so it's worth going in there once and a while. 6th and 7th gen games are also dirt cheap. If anything they're worse with newer games, they don't update the prices very often so you'll still see recent releases selling for $60 when they're $40 elsewhere.
>>
File: 1481615593595.jpg (40KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
1481615593595.jpg
40KB, 604x453px
>>4165435
>LIVING IN AUSTRALIA
>>
File: 1384769928402.gif (117KB, 500x370px) Image search: [Google]
1384769928402.gif
117KB, 500x370px
Just walked into a store today and was greeted well enough, but when I went to make my purchase, I was greeted with "what..." when I said "Excuse me, I believe I'm ready to make my purchase."

I was abit startled, though I recognized he was probably still upset over his deaths in the game he was playing in the back of the store (Super Ghouls and Ghosts).

Picked up Mischief Makers for $20 and he sent me on my way with a "Have a good day."

Not sure if Mischief Makers is the right price but the store did have a varied selection (and what appeared to be SFC carts and some repro SNES carts such as Ys IV for example.

Think I'm gonna go back to the other store my friend recommended me to check back on Mystical Adventure starring Goemon as I believe it was in the $25-$35 range.
>>
>>4163679
I have this Resell shop in my area that is basically a junk store. He always has signs out on the sidewalk saying "Paying for your nintendo cartridges" and always has that. He would just throw his systems/games in boxes and made it look like fucking junk. I remember I saw a Colecovision just tossed in a box all and I asked how much and he said $180. No haggling whatsoever and he will always go by online prices.
Some good news about it, another retro game store opened right down the road of him, and his supply of game cartridges/systems started vanishing off the his shelves, which is good because now the other store is basically running his out of our town. The other store isnt as bad, they have better discounts and more frequent in sales, although they do sometimes get generic games.
The real only good thing I got out of that resale shop was a Star Fox 64 VHS promo video and the box only to Donkey Kong 64 for 4 bucks.
>>
File: 1493520988901.gif (2MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1493520988901.gif
2MB, 200x200px
>>4164604
I just witnessed a fucking murder here.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (107KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
107KB, 1920x1080px
>>4164970

fuck prge

I went last year, first day. but i didnt have a 'buyers pass' - which allowed you in 2 hours early to all the stands and the arcade.

For SMS shit, it was picked over and done before us pleb-pass people got in, and i was 25th in line and went straight for the sellers stands.

'buyers pass' is like 25-45$ more expensive. Would it be worth it? hoping i can find what i want and get sub-ebay prices or cut deals on those items? doubt it.
>>
for 20 years there was a video store in my city that had a pretty strong hold over any other store, but the owners were pretty scummy to talk to. Their prices were pretty bad as well.
Eventually they mostly killed the video game market in the city and no one would even bother to try to open another.
FFWD to a year ago and one of their employees bought the store from them and made them sign a business contract to "Stay the fuck out of the video game business"
Turned the industry in this city around. lowered prices, 90 day warranty on all used consoles, honest about how he prices items and what he pays for items.
Bro actually helped me set up my own video game import business. ( I only do conventions and Expos though)
>>
>>4166740
That's a nice aesthetic gif you got there, thanks for that.
>>
My local retro game shop is pretty alright, everything's sorted proper on the shelves and the prices are absolutely reasonable. Not sure how much business they do there- I've bought a couple PS1 games, including Ridge Racer 1 because EVERY SINGLE RIP ONLINE HAS FUCKED UP MUSIC- but there's a pretty sizable arcade attached that draws more people. I go there just to play Metal Slug on the Neo-Geo cabinet.
>>
>>4165527
> Not to mention that anyone still using a front-loader in current year is a bandwagon faggot who's not actually playing games so it doesn't matter.

Seriously? Because I'm still using my front loader monthly I bought at release, I'm some sort of bandwagoner?

Would you please be so kind as to use a tripcode so you can be properly filtered?
>>
>>4165012
>Unless it's some stupid meme like Barcades

There is a barcade in downtown Phoenix that is small but really great IMO.They machines are all in great shape, they have a great bar and good looking women frequent it as well.
>>
There are a few around me, and I've only had bad experiences at one of them. The owner was just a dick to me for no reason every time I went in. He would act bothered when I asked if they had things, would get pissy when I asked to look at anything, and generally treated me like a child although I'm 30. It was so bad that I eventually decided to just not do any business with them anymore. It's a shame, because they actually had some pretty good stuff.
>>
>>4164918
Clerk was probably some thirsty neckbeard.
>>
>>4163679

Used to be one near me that was amazing. Acceptable pricing, actually good trade in prices, and a stamp-card rewards program that the owner was really generous with.

New people bought him out and now it hass ebay prices and no reward program. Makes me sad.
>>
>>4163740
I got "barred" from a retro game store that doubled as a pawn shop because I argued that if they are going to sell me games at ebay prices, then that means I'm getting some kind of warranty or guarantee that the product works. their policy was a hard no money back guarantee and that coming back with the game will decrease it's value so I would only get a quarter of what I payed for back otherwise a game of equal value or less. Since it was ran by white people, I gave my friend some money to go scope the place out and sure enough he got deals but didn't buy anything. The guy also gave him his personal number in case he was interested in their backroom stuff that hasn't been marked.
>>
File: 1497675513770.jpg (45KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1497675513770.jpg
45KB, 320x240px
>>4163679
retro game store owners are universally vile people who should be loathed.

retro game store employees, on the other hand, are totally cool.
>>
File: IMG_1355.jpg (530KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1355.jpg
530KB, 1920x1080px
>Go to an used game store
>Do you have any component or SCART cables?
>I don't know what that is
>All the prices are in the upper average range
>No real deals
>NES for $75 cleaned and tested with 90 day warranty
>All accessories are kinda high
>Some pretty good older titles and some uncommon to rare games
>All priced super high for the in demand titles

I have better luck at thrift stores. I found LoZ: LttP, Super Mario RPG, and a lot more SNES/N64 games for $10 each. Sure you have to look through a lot of garbage and actually hunt for games, but you save so much more money than buying on eBay or in a used game store
>>
>>4168989
personally I don't buy any game over 5 bucks each but to each their own
>>
>>4168989
I used to find good retro games at my goodwill and now every single one without fail is put on shopgoodwill.
One worker told me it was a directive from corporate.
>>
>>4168995
10-15 is usually my limit. 15 if I really want the game.
Unless the game is actually hard to find, modern game prices is nothing but scalping
>>
>>4169002
Goodwill still puts out games and consoles. I found an XBox One labeled "As is" with cables and controller for $50. It ended up working and that was a month ago.
shopgoodwill is horrible. People overpay for almost everything on there.
>Oh shit Zelda!
>Price jumps $50

I personally hit all the local mom and pop thrift stores. Like on Storage Wars how each of them run a thrift store, I go to those. They can great for finding games. If you are looking for a CRT, even better.
Also Cragslist is great sometimes. Found Parasite Eve and vol 1 and 2 of .Hack for $10 each
>>
>>4169002
I found a Gamecube in the box with all the cables for $5 a few months ago at my local goodwill, one of the workers walked up to me and congratulated me and managing to find it.
>>
>>4163679
I absolutely hate the guys who own the shop in OP's picture. I have dealt with them for years, even before they had that store. I also laughed when their 'second location' failed miserably. If I'm not mistaken, the tenants were caught sleeping there.
I actually own two game stores around where they are and I try and do my best to be a fun and enjoyable game store. I try and be competitive with online prices and make sure staff members are actually helpful and engaging. Though we still do get some just stupid annoying ass customers. Like customers on the phone who ask if we have any 2K. Just 2K, no year, console, hell WWE or NBA. (Its usually NBA)
>>
>>4165542
Where's the profit then, though. They likely don't actually buy that shit for small amounts of money either.
I mean, I get it with Gamestop because people actually do trade in their many games for jus a few bucks. But I doubt the same goes for retro games
>>
Dino Games here in Gainesville is the embodiment of second-hand embarrassment. First thing you'll notice is that there's no ambient music. That means every time you speak you are breaking the dead silence and everyone is listening. It's extremely awkward.

The selection is pretty abysmal, though prices are pretty fair. Employees vary between uninterested and crappy salesmen. They're nice enough, but the whole situation just feels desperate. Gamer's HQ was so much better, but they cashed in all their stock and ran for the hills.
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.