[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What shmups have interesting scoring systems? I love games that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: Battle%20Garegga%2002[1].png (19KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
Battle%20Garegga%2002[1].png
19KB, 240x320px
What shmups have interesting scoring systems?

I love games that let you play around with the mechanics to score however you want, like with the beach balls of Cotton Boomerang, suiciding, bombing, and medaling in Battle Garegga, or, of course, reflecting shots in Mars Matrix.

Are there any non-shmups that actually have interesting scoring systems?
>>
Yeah. Progear. It's very interesting how they encourage you to switch up your playstyle with it.
>>
Suiciding in Garegga isn't really score related, but rank related, in Bakraid meanwhile suicide is an actual score mechanic since it stops the multiplier timer
>>
>>4158246
I wish I liked Progear more, but the music is just so boring that I can't get into it.
>>
>>4158256
Yeah. The music's pretty weak. Which is strange since so many other things about it are just so nice.
>>
Thought up a scoring mechanic for a vertical shump recently.
>ship has a regular shot and some kind of bomb or screen-clearing attack
>enemies generally don't shoot projectiles, instead fly to the bottom in different speeds and patterns, also reacting to shots in different ways
>each time you shoot an enemy with the regular shot, it multiplies, kind of like pang
>goal is to get as many enemies on screen before using the screen wipe to kill them all
Is it kool or karp?
>>
>>4158280
I could see this working as a 3-5 minute long caravan game.

And that's not an insult, since caravan games are the best.
>>
If Recca had Ibara: Pink Sweets Arrange's scoring system, I sincerely believe it would be the best game of all time.

I wonder how possible it is to hack in a scoring system.
>>
Twin Bee games and bell juggling.
>>
Kamui's lightning bolts require good timing for hitting enemies which only move in the background for less than a second.
>>
>>4158632
This is exactly the kind of thing I don't like. Things that you just have to memorize and can only be done correctly one way.
>>
>>4158728
This one's not done by memorizing though since you shoot down the enemies whenever you want and then zap their remains before they evaporate for extra points. It's all reflexes and dexterity.
>>
>>4158729
Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you meant enemies that only existed in the background that show up at fixed times.

Don't get me wrong, that's not necessarily a bad thing in itself either, since it can be a fun game mechanic. But say, making a game require you to kill EVERYTHING to keep a chain going that has enemies that only show up for a quarter of a second and require a special shot type is just obnoxious.

Speaking of which, I don't like Dodonpachi.
>>
>>4158280
sounds DS bangaioh-ish. Maybe could work if it had some other mechanic to spice it
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.