[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any love left for the GameBoy? Looking for an adventure

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

File: gameboize.png (854KB, 600x599px) Image search: [Google]
gameboize.png
854KB, 600x599px
Is there any love left for the GameBoy?
Looking for an adventure game that I can put som time in to. RPGs too, but nothing with turnbased fighting. Is there such a thing?
>>
>>4155389
For only original gameboy, or the family? Have you played FFA and the Zeldas?
>>
>>4155389
Gargoyle's Quest
>>
>>4155389
The majority of the gameboys library is watered down ports, and most of the rest is held back by the technical limtations of the system.

There are some good ass games on the GB, but they're few and far between.
>>
was thinking for the DMG and the Color mainly. Yes I have played FFA, but I got stuck and discouraged to continue. But I had fun while it lasted. Would be cool to find something similar. I have played the original Zelda game but not the black cart for the Color.
>>
>>4155402
yeah that's why I'm seeking advice=)
>>
>>4155401
I'll look into that! Thanks. I remember a friend used to play it as a kid. But I have not played it myself
>>
>>4155405
Metal Walker is weird but fun. Like an RPG with a sort of billiards inspired combat.
>>
>>4155389
The only Game Boy's worth owning are the Game Boy Advance(with a modded back lit screen) & an original Game Boy.
>>
the frog for whom the bell tolls. a nice quirky adventure game that was used as the engine for link's awakening.
>>
>>4155418
>>4155412
Thanks, I'll add them to the list.
>>
>>4155417
I find the SP to be the most convenient.
>>
Is there a list or chart of original game boy games, I mean not down ports
>>
File: metal-gear_f_009.jpg (324KB, 956x500px) Image search: [Google]
metal-gear_f_009.jpg
324KB, 956x500px
>>4155410
I think you'll like it, if what you want is a Gameboy adventure. Metroid II is also great.

Metal Walker is a lot of fun, but GBC. If you're going there may as well play the classic, MGS: Ghost Babel.

>>4155430
>>4155417
I hate the way GBC games look on a GBA, the colours are all dark and weird. Now I just use a PSP but back then always kept both around.
>>
>>4155443
>
Nice! I have not modded my PSP yet. Metroid II is great
>>
>>4155417
I have a modded GBA. Can confirm.
>>
>>4155389
>>4155406
gameboy has some fun RPGs, some surprising fighting games, and so pretty entertaining platformers. This is my personal collection, but take it with a grain of salt... im an oldfag so I spent my days after school playing this shit cause I was too poor to buy n64 games unless it was xmas gift.

>mega man Wilys revenge
>world heroes 2 jet
>final fantasy legend 2
>dragon warrior 1&2
>super mario land 1
>Wario Land: super mario land 3
>robopon
>and obviously pokemon

others Ive enjoyed
>TMNT (one is good, the other is shit, cant tell u which, sorry)
>the other 3 FF games
>Wario games
>the rest of the mega man games
>zelda games
>perfect dark
>MGS
>castlevania
>>
>>4155439
>I mean not down ports
The nicest surprises on the system are games that by all rights should have been shitty ports but turn out to be something new, or capture the original game in a different context.

Also, the gameboys to get are a modded original or a light, a gbc, and a well-lit advance - gbc games just don't look right on gba, a lot of the time, and a gbc is pretty cheap.

Can't just use a gbc for all your original games, though, some games play better on the original, some look better in monochrome, some gb -> gbc ports made bad changes, etc.

...and a micro, why not.
>>
For people who like turn-based rpgs, the second harry potter game on gbc is for some insane reason a good jrpg-style game.

Are the Wizardry games any good on GB? Not so much the Wiz 1-3 ports, but the other ones - Empire and the Gaidens. I've played way too much of the originals on PC, but not looked into the game boy ones before.
>>
So which is better, an original GBA with the AGS-101 screen mod, or the GBA SP AGS-101? Lots of people seem to prefer the former, what with going to all that trouble, but as a DMG fan I kinda like the vertical form factor of the SP. Is it just nicer having it horizontal?
>>
>not playing your Game boy games on the Super Game boy
>>
>sitting at home playing your game boy games on a huge monitor with a separate controller
>playing dmg games with color
>not being able to toss your game boy in your bag and play wherever you go
>>
>>4155412
The encounter rate in this game is too high
>>
>>4156408
This. Chamber of Secrets is so good.
>>
>>4156405
I feel like the micro is criminally underrated, the only bad thing is the small screen size but it's so crisp and beautiful to look at. Well, plus no backwards compatibility. I have the mario/famicom one and it's served me well, extremely portable and surprisingly sturdy.
>>
I want a GBC in a DMG-grey shell with DMG-colored buttons. Is that too much to ask, really?

also a micro and a regular GBA in DMG colors to match.

Problem is, I'm lazy as fuck.
>>
>>4156976
oh apparently someone makes gbc shells that color, fuck, guess I've got less of an excuse now.
>>
>>4156980
and a micro faceplate, which is an even easier swap. fuck I've just shitposted my way into spending even more money haven't i.
>>
>>4156483
It comes down to ergonomics. Many people prefer the wider spacing of the AGB. I have very large hands and I still like the SP form factor more because I hit the triggers with the inside of my index finger knuckles.

Other than ergonomics:

- SP design protects the screen, which is a big win for me.
- AGB has a built-in headphone jack. The cheesy $5 headphone adapters work fine on the SP. Neither one is particularly high quality, but there are audio mods for the AGB that clean it up.
- Kirby Tilt N Tumble only works right on the AGB.
- AGB is easier to mod and 3rd party shells are plentiful.
>>
>>4156974
The micro isn't underrated, it's overpriced.
>>
>>4156802
Is it? I didn't remember it being high, but it's been so many years since playing it. I mostly just remember it being fun.
>>
>>4157006
Perhaps, but still hardly that expensive. You pay a bit more if you want a fancy one, or a boxed one, but £60 tops for a regular used unboxed model IIRC, and that's high-end price.

Fuck, when the new gb/gbc krikzz cart comes out it'll be way more expensive.
>>
>>4155389
OP, the three best games for the GBC are all Zelda. The Oracle games are 99% as good as Link's Awakening.

Someone mentioned For Frog the Bell Tolls. This is a good rec, but you'll need a patched ROM to play it in English.

Survival Kids is an aged but surprisingly fun early survival game.

If you're into Japanese sims, Harvest Moon GBC and Legend of the River King 2.

Not really an "adventure" game, but Wario Land 3 is surprisingly large. You could easily put 20 hours into it.

Metal Gear is very short but a must-play for the GBC.
>>
>>4157019
Has krikzz said anything about making a GBA Everdrive in a normal size cart? That + micro would kind of be the ultimate 2D portable, IMO.
>>
Do you like adventures?
Do you like 10/10 OST?
Do you want to avenge your friends?

The first Seiken Densetsu is beautiful.
>>
File: ffadventmap_world.png (371KB, 1280x1168px) Image search: [Google]
ffadventmap_world.png
371KB, 1280x1168px
>>4157069
>>
>>4157006
Yeah, I lucked out and got mine new for $50 (which I had saved from birthday money) so I've had it since release. I believe they also weren't produced in the same numbers as the original GBA or the SP (understandably so) so that would contribute to a bit of a higher price on the secondhand market.

>>4157019
Last I knew he basically moaned about how hard it is to fit "essentially the power of a SNES" into a tiny package so my guess is probably not. At least not for a long time, the one in the fall for sure won't be normal cart size.
>>
File: H60g4fal.jpg (49KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
H60g4fal.jpg
49KB, 480x640px
>>4157040
I just wish he'd do a GB one in a proper GB cart, not one of those clear GBC ones. Apparently you can wedge the guts of the current EDGB into one, and it still works, but it bulges and forces the sides of the cart apart.
>>
>>4155389
The Game Boy has a pretty huge modding community online, there are a ton of great games but you're better off getting an Everdrive or EZFlash to play them all on the go.
Personally been getting back into the line, catching up on classics I never played as a kid.
>>
>>4155417
Yep, two DMGs and two Advances here
Frontlit SPs have incredible battery life
>>
I found tetris for $6, good deal?
>>
>>4157330
Pretty good man, just the game by itself?
>>
>>4157337
Yeah just the game, is there a easy way to check if its a fake? Or do GB games not usually get reproductions?
>>
>>4157340
Yeah if it's Tetris it's pretty damn likely to be authentic, seeing as all the early DMG-001s came bundled with it
Ironically enough I'm looking for a copy myself
>>
>>4157072
>palm trees and 8.

I was lost for a long time as a kid with that.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.