[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did anyone own one of these when they were younger and it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

File: neo_geo_aes_igry.jpg (71KB, 619x394px) Image search: [Google]
neo_geo_aes_igry.jpg
71KB, 619x394px
Did anyone own one of these when they were younger and it was still new?
>>
>>4153705
LOL that pos cost $900 and they only released only subpar fighters on it. Fools and their money.
>>
File: pg24.jpg (1MB, 1000x1392px) Image search: [Google]
pg24.jpg
1MB, 1000x1392px
>>4153707
Not wanting to waste thousands of dollars to play 4-dimensional games with life-sized graphics
>>
Friend of mine had one. Played a lot of Samurai Shodown at his place.
>>
>>4153710
man, that lineup is ridiculously mediocre for a set of $200 games
would have killed for an AES with Baseball Stars 2, Fatal Fury 2, and Last Resort at one point though
the prices are (vaguely) reasonable considering the time (Top Player's Golf is 7.75MB if the game is actually 62Mbit, that's a fucking huge-ass ROM considering that you were getting 2MB games for like $70-80 back in the day, and the hardware is loads better than anything else from the time), but the 1991-era lineup for the thing sucked

>>4153707
>Fools and their money.
remember, it was marketed as the "Ferrari of home consoles" and the lot
it was always intended to be a relatively niche machine for people with the dough to blow on it
>>
>>4153707
>>4153710

And part of the pricing was surely based on the fact that these were literally arcade ROMs on home cartridges. No ports or any of that, but the real deal. Making them too cheap likely would've infringed on their arcade side of business since everyone could afford the console and games. The prices of individual games also made sure that even for those (likely older) gamers who could afford the full setup would be judicious in their game selection and maybe only buy a few of their favorites each month instead of a full library. But yeah, as someone who has a decent stash of MVS carts, I would've felt sick paying $200 for something like the original Fatal Fury, even in 2017 bucks.
>>
>>4153705
yes
>>
>>4153705
I find it ironic that the most expensive console ever ended up being the most pirated and played by third world children.
>inb4 korea and taiwan are not third world
Whatever, kid.
>>
Would have been cool to own but 200s a game was a deal breaker especially since most of the games were fighting games
>>
>>4153705
No, but shit looks amazing compared to what else was available in 1990. the leap from nes to magician lord or even nam 1975 would've been huge. If I were a rich kid, I would've wanted one
>>
>>4153830
>magician lord
Why do neogeo fags keep bringing up that shit, it's not even a good run'n gun.
>>
>>4153838
It was basically the pack-in. I didn't have one and even the rich kids I knew didn't have one but both the demo one at Toys R Us and the MVS cabinet featured Magician Lord. Shit is hard.
>>
>>4153838
>it's not even a good run'n gun
It's also not a good FPS or JRPG or mop handle.
>>
they say the system was supported until 2004. at the very least, that refers to when the last game came out (Samurai Shodown 5, right?)

what I wonder is, could you go to a store and buy a new AES around that time?

if not, when would be the last time stores had new AES systems?

either way, what would the AES msrp be at the end of its run? did it drop significantly due to technology improving? or did they gouge customers to the bitter end?
>>
>>4154054
oh shit I'm retarded, I did a google search. 1997 they stopped making new AES's
>>
Yes, but I doubt many of the owners were children, as >>4153774 said, it was marketed as a luxury item and most people I knew of that had it were arcade enthusiasts. The only console that's semi known I know of that nobody in my town had was the 3DO.
>>
>>4153838
Yeah it's bloody awful.
>>
>>4153823
>but 200s a game was a deal breaker especially since most of the games were fighting games
They had little choice though as you were buying what was available to arcades, there's a lot more variety than it gets credit for to.
>>
File: s-l225.jpg (15KB, 184x225px) Image search: [Google]
s-l225.jpg
15KB, 184x225px
>>4153705
I remember buying Samurai Showdown first, used copy for 300$. Must have been summer 93. At the store next to me was this total retard that couldn't believe how much money i put on the counter for just one game. Funny how these clueless idiots never die out. See ---> >>4153707

In looking back i should have kept more games like windjammers. Some of them are four figures now. At the moment i have 11 aes games and 17 mvs games. Fav console ever, by a huge margin.
>>
>>4153786
>ng the most pirated and played by third world children.

The only 3rd world country that had an abundance of neogeo consoles was the USA.

Latin America and Asia loved the mvs because they were dirt cheap and easy to create bootlegs for.
>>
>>4153705
Yeah I got mine from Die Hard Gamefan in 91. Came with your choice of two games (got Crossed Swords and Fatal Fury) extra joystick and memory card that you could transfer to the arcade. Shit was sweet as hell. Made alot of new "friends" that summer that wanted to play FF.
>>
File: 037612033933296.jpg (57KB, 599x449px) Image search: [Google]
037612033933296.jpg
57KB, 599x449px
>>4154286
>Latin America and Asia loved the mvs because they were dirt cheap and easy to create bootlegs for.
Exactly, they were really easy to find. Emulated MAME and Pandora Box cabinets were also extremely popular in SA.
>>
>>4153705
No; that's why even common games for the system are expensive.
>>
Are games censored?
Like removing violence in fighting games?
Or Mai boobs, I know the Japanese arcades were fine, but not sure about the AES
>>
>>4153707
t. poorfag
>>
>>4154986
I think the Western AES consoles (not the games, the consoles) will sometimes censor stuff, like green blood instead of red blood, but run your stuff on Japanese hardware and it's fine.

t. saying all this from memory
>>
>>4155085
There were two choices, either buy it, take it home or move into the arcade permanently. The latter would have caused problems and would have been more expensive.
>>
>>4154986
They're all censored in the US bios, sometimes even the Japanese bios got censored like in the case of Samsho V Special. You need to install a Unibios if you want bouncy boobs but they're so inconsequential it barely matters.
>>
>>4155052
Why waste $699 for KOF98 and MotW when they were all ported to Dreamcast and PS2 anyway.
>>
>>4153710
holy fuck and people say nintendo charged absurd amounts for games
>>
>>4155136
>they're so inconsequential it barely matters.
Kill yourself
I dont buy censored shit
>>
File: MaiShiranui04.gif~c200.gif (93KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
MaiShiranui04.gif~c200.gif
93KB, 200x200px
>>4155156
IIRC the only blood in KOF stems from Yashiro's knife and Choi's claw attacks. The only censored animation was Mai's idle stance which you can see here. Really minor stuff. The blood was turned white in Samsho and they removed "fatalities" which is very annoying but hardly affects gameplay.
>>
>>4155173
>YAMAZAKI's knife
Fixed. Fuck, I'm a retard.
>>
>>4155156
The funniest shit was how in Real Bout they turned blood green and when it came out of the mouth of the characters it looked like they were throwing up.
>>
>>4155173
I played the arcades back in the day, never knew about the AES until years later
I just want to have the same stuff I played when I was a kid
>>
>>4155195
Chances are you played the censored US version. Do you remember blood being red or white in Metal Slug?
>>
>>4155215
I played pirated arcades, I do remember original arcades but those were installed on malls or big arcades
>>
>>4155156
>Politics are more important than game design
>>
>>4155384
My satisfaction as a customer matter yes
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.