[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, /vr/. Can somebody RepTill me on the Mortal Kombat series?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 12

File: reptiles.png (31KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
reptiles.png
31KB, 384x384px
Hey, /vr/. Can somebody RepTill me on the Mortal Kombat series?

I've seen pretty much each individual entry being called the best one around here, but I only ever played the PC version of II (which I enjoyed). Which ones are best for competitive gaming? Best home versions for each? Is Trilogy any good?
>>
None of them are actually good. They're broken pieces of shit whose only appeal was over the top violence.
>>
>>4152218
This. 2 is the best, but they're all pretty bad ultimately. All are good for casual vs play, none are good for serious vs play.
>>
>>4152207
Mortal Kombat 3 Ultimate was the pinnacle of MK
>>
>>4152207
MK is a divisive series so everyone will have completely polar opposite opinions on it, that's why you hear so much that any single entry is either the best or the worst of the series. They all have their merits but if you want to get into the series you can start with the reboot from 2011 (MK9) and its sequel MKX. Outside of a few oddities they are both fairly competent fighting games. The /vr/ ones are pretty strange since the focus was on the spectacle, doing special moves and looking flashy rather than focusing on fundamentals, poking, spacing, etc. like "serious" fighting games do, but they're still fun as long as you have people to play against. The AI is notoriously cheap and breaks the rules of the game (throwing you before you've even hit the ground for instance). People do still play UMK3 competitively, but not at professional tourneys like EVO.
>>
>>4152585
>the focus was on the spectacle, doing special moves and looking flashy rather than focusing on fundamentals, poking, spacing, etc. like "serious" fighting games do
Which is what makes them infinitely more fun to watch, imo. I'd rather see an unbalanced mess of fun than a high-and-tight uber-balanced snore-fest like poke-fighter 3.
>>
>>4152724
That's why it's good there's something for everyone. I'm total opposite, we both get what we want.
>>
>>4152207
1 and 2 are decent, with 2 being the peak of the arcade games. 3, Ultimate 3, and Trilogy don't suck, but that's about it.

9 is cool. X and especially XL are excellent and the peak of the series.

Everything else sucks.
>>
>>4152207
there is no comp scene for mk for good reason, it's not a very good fighting game. they're just simple fighting games that are fun to pick up and play. the combos are simple and the skill ceiling is low. my favourite us mk3 ultimate
>>
>>4152207
>RepTill
Tried really hard with this one huh
>>
>>4152585
>throwing you before you've even hit the ground for instance
/r/ing that one image of a controller with all the inputs as getting thrown
>>
Mortal Kombat's novelty is dead.
Its coolness factor overshadowed its gameplay, gore and finishing movies, as well as animations made the game popular.
>>
>>4152207
They're all solid games. Mechanically they're definitely not on the level of something like Street Fighter, but they're loads of fun and have great style and the best characters of any series.

There are people who like to claim they're completely garbage and style-over-substance but that's some hyperbole.
>>
>>4152945
Mortal Kombat XL is one of the most popular games at EVO, don't spew bullshit.
>>
>>4152991
>Mortal Kombat XL is one of the most popular games at EVO, don't spew bullshit.

I am talking about the retro games, /v/ is 2 spaces away.
>>
File: 1423405997848.jpg (466KB, 1286x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1423405997848.jpg
466KB, 1286x1050px
>>4152825
Gotchu covered, ninja
>>
File: there.gif (2MB, 390x205px) Image search: [Google]
there.gif
2MB, 390x205px
>>4153109
>>
>>4152771
I can agree with this. X was so good, I have no idea why people continue to hate it. I mean for a lot of reasons the roster is bad yeah, but the gameplay is tight.
>>
>>4153142
>I have no idea why people continue to hate it
I thought everyone agreed it was the first actually great game in the series.
>>
>>4153146
It's 50/50. Some threads you'll get a lot of people saying it's great, other times it's just a non-stop hatefest for it.
>>
Deception and Armageddon Konquest mode are good.
>>
File: mk deception.jpg (103KB, 640x908px) Image search: [Google]
mk deception.jpg
103KB, 640x908px
Deception is the best one

MK9 is the best one for fapping

http://archiveofourown.org/works/9800783
>>
>>4152207
its cause you legitimately cannot go wrong with MK, unless its 4 cause they legitimately went full retard in that one.
>>
>>4152207
I liked the one I had 'influence' over When the community voted to kill Liu Kang
>>
>>4152207
They're terrible. They're a novelty because there's blood and gore in them. They're utter shit.
Play some japanese fighters instead.
>>
>>4153353
but then he came back as a zombie and it was all pointless
>>
>>4153369
Fuck off, weebo. Americans make the superior fighters.
>>
>>4152218
This.
The series is fucking garbage both in gameplay and aesthetics.
>>
File: output_TGvr1w.gif (90KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
output_TGvr1w.gif
90KB, 384x384px
>>4152207
>>
>>4152207
Single player the retro Mk series is frustrating, but it's a good laugh in 2 player, especially with evenly matched players. True, it lacks the depth of Capcom developed games - but its good larks. Be prepared to learn odd combinations for special moves
>>
>>4153472
lolz
>>
>>4152989
best characters are in tattooed assassins
>>
File: 3_mortalkombat3ultimate.jpg (58KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
3_mortalkombat3ultimate.jpg
58KB, 700x525px
>>4152207
the klassic mk community was split between 2 games due to gameplay differences:
mk2- traditional 2d fighter gameplay and the greatly improved sequel to mk2
umk3-the fixed version of mk3. running and dial-a-combo greatly changed the original gameplay

every mortal kombat game is broken on some level. trilogy is more broken than others and doesn't get serious play.
>>
>>4153785
Contrarian level: 255
>>
>>4152207
>Can somebody RepTill me on the Mortal Kombat series?
OK, it was always trash.
>>
>>4152207
No reptill necessary -- as others have stated the only novelty was its violence

If you want an actual competitive fighter, look into street fighter

Mortal Kombat has awful move input, if you can even remember them and it changes each game which isolated their players
>>
>>4155380
I'd also like to add this is game is a great example of cashing in and beating a meme into the ground
>>
>>
>>4152771
Yeah I agree, I'd add Shaolin Monks and Deception if you can get past its crappy fighting engine.
>>
>>4152446
>MK3
>not MK2 on game boy
>>
>>4156268
5 and 6 were fun as a single player thing, I enjoyed completing the crypts and the conquest mode in 6. I remember conquest mode in Armageddon was fun too but the crypt was made smaller.
Shaolin Monks was a beautiful love letter to MK2 but you kinda need a friend to play with, it's also hard as balls.
>>
>>4155380
>Mortal Kombat has awful move input, if you can even remember them

Now I know this has to be bait. How is down forward punch too hard to remember or even awful? There is no way to mess it up. I'd rather have my move come out when I intend to than try a hadouken and it doesn't work because I slightly missed the diagonal.
>>
>>4157075
I agree but one of the things about MK9 that triggered the shit out of me is that basically the same normal would have different inputs for different characters
>>
>>4157075
LOL

MK games on Xbox NOW have very simlple controls like that, but they did not before and some move commands were on par with Killer Instinct in randomness and difficulty to actually execute

Okay wait yeah, I do recall most characters having maybe one or two moves that were easy to input

Also, the thing with street fighter and the diagonals is that you should be playing it on an arcade cabinet ideally
>>
>>4152207
One of the most remembered game franchises of all time. I love all of the games. Fuck I even like MK4.
You can say tons of shit of UMK3, shitting on the artstyle of each installment, the AI, compare it with street fighter 2.
But at the end no one will remember your pathethic life and whining but they will remember based Mortal Kombat. Fuck edgelords who hate this game for no reason.
>>
>>4157178
I feel like you're getting another game mixed up with MK

possibly KI also
>>
File: rayden.png (49KB, 225x299px) Image search: [Google]
rayden.png
49KB, 225x299px
>>4157172
Not sure what you mean. Having similar inputs is what made the game so great, you didn't have to go looking up guides since it was the same handful of inputs you could just try out and get something to work. DF, DB, BD, BF, FF, DU, any of those plus a button is pretty much guaranteed to get you a special no matter who you use. You didn't have to worry about picking a charge character vs a zoner or a grappler with 360 motions. Everybody was equally approachable.

>>4157178
MK inputs have been simple since the first game, I don't even know what you're talking about. Pic related.
>>
>>4152207
I loved the first 3 games, but they have no value in competitive terms because you have to take their inexistent balance into consideration. In my opinion UMK3>MK1>MK2, just because nostalgia. I had fun with 4 but disliked it overall especially the weapons part, i didn't like any of the ps2 era, but Armageddon was fun and chaotic with that roster. 9 is overall the best imo, didn't play X and don't plan to, i rather learn a new series such as KOF.
>>
File: mileena2.gif (102KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
mileena2.gif
102KB, 320x224px
>>4157408
>Not sure what you mean. Having similar inputs is what made the game so great

I believe this was a big part of original MK's success too. Even my mom could kick ass in it back in the day. Would fatality you with Mileena when she won too. By contrast she could barely do a hadoken in SF and never a dragon punch let alone SPD. MK inputs are standard and simple for everyone to grasp. It made the game accessible in a way SF never was.
>>
>>4156324
You joke, but the GameBoy versions of MK1 and MK2 were the only ones I was allowed to play back then because they had no rating or blood. I spent a ridiculous amount of time with both, and at one point knew every fatality and stage fatality for each character. My eyes just got used to the abysmal framerate and I became one with the ports, being able to perfect any Kombatant that dared to cross me. Of course, I only ever fought the CPU because nobody else was restricted to the GameBoy versions back then. If MK2 GameBoy ever comes to EVO, I'm taking first.

I still enjoy both to this day, more than their arcade counterparts.
>>
>>4157852
>Even my mom could kick ass in it back in the day

I remember playing MKT with my mom back in the day. I miss those times.
>>
File: kofnettoukof95us.jpg (92KB, 640x639px) Image search: [Google]
kofnettoukof95us.jpg
92KB, 640x639px
>>4157857
That's a very sad story. The MK2 port had me convinced fighters were doomed to be unplayable garbage for many years until I bought this on a whim one day
>>
>>4157865
Me too, but now we have Animal Crossing.
>>
File: Killer_Instinct_Game_Boy_Cover.jpg (80KB, 640x637px) Image search: [Google]
Killer_Instinct_Game_Boy_Cover.jpg
80KB, 640x637px
>>4157872
I later bought Killer Instinct and the 60FPS gameplay was so good, even if the graphics didn't translate well to GameBoy. Once I got into the Neo Geo Pocket, I never looked back. Always wanted the GameBoy SNK games, though.
>>
>>4157912
If you have an NGP there's no need to even think about the GB KoFs. They're good for GB ports, but the NGP ones are straight up good. That thing is an awesome system.
>>
>>4157852

How many femurs does that motherfucker have?

I half-remember Brutalities in UMK3 or whatever it is dropping 2-3 ribcages, 6 legs, two skulls, etc. - Though I might be misremembering on the skulls, that'd be just way too silly
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.