[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would this be considered a classic if Sega of America hadn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: ugly american boxart.jpg (56KB, 337x473px) Image search: [Google]
ugly american boxart.jpg
56KB, 337x473px
Would this be considered a classic if Sega of America hadn't butchered it?
>>
>>4149958
Nah, SoR3 may be worse than BK3, but BK3 is still not a great game and miles behind 2.
>>
>>4149981
>but BK3 is still not a great game and miles behind 2.
prove it without resorting to "muh soundtrack".
>>
>>4149992
Bad enemy placements and level design, poor AI, poor graphics, and you cannot hit off-screen enemies unless at least some parts of them show on the screen.

You just run, jump kick, run jump kick, and you can beat the game on very hard.
>>
>>4149997
>Bad enemy placements and level design
enemies come off-screen like any other SoR, what are you talking about? and level design in a beat'em up... if anything, SoR3 tried adding some variation to the "run to the right" scheme with many gimmicks (many of them fun). It actually has level design and made it more similar to 1 with its traps, stuff that was lacking in 2
>poor AI
how?
>poor graphics
smaller sprites =/= worse graphics. Animations are a lot better
>and you cannot hit off-screen enemies
fair

don't get me wrong, SoR2 is the better game but I feel BK3 is a fine game on its own and very close to 2
>>
>>4149992
no mania mode
>>
>>4150007
>enemies come off-screen like any other SoR,

Enemies in SOR2 come up from sewers, jump off of bikes, sleep on benches, sit on the ground until you get close, cheer in the background then attack you after you kill their boss, or jump onto the ground while previously hanging in to the ceiling or the wall.

BK3 only has people coming from the side, dropping in from top, and in one instance the gay dude motorboats them in (which works to their disadvantage since they all land on one spot).

Enemy variety is also fucked, you always have 1 or 2 or 3 groups of the same punks coming in numbers. SOR2 is more varied, and the higher a punk is up on the tier tree, the more rarely they come in. For every 3 galsias and 2 donovans you have a Signal, and so on. BK3 throws in 5 of punk type #1, 5 of punk type #2, and 5 of punk type #3. The only semi-re-occuring midboss type punks are the men in black, everything else is just massed in an uncreative way.

SOR2 has levels scrolling up and down, BK3 does not.

Yes, the level design is boring. You can stay on one screen and fight the nonstop stream of enemies for minutes, and due to the bad AI you always have 1-2 dudes who sit outside the screen for a long time. SOR2 allows you to scroll far further before that happens. This is made worse by the ability to dash (you can reach the screen limit too fast, get by all the enemies).

The traps are just annoying half the time. Pits are cool, though.

Balancing is also off, some enemies have weird hitboxes, like the Signals who are invincible when sliding, or your own jump kicks.

>smaller sprites =/= worse graphics.

Backgrounds are almost always duller, and have no special effects or little to no animation.
Animation is only better for the heroes, enemies aren't that much better.
>>
>>4149958
Sor3 has the best gameplay of any console beat 'em up.
Also most great games aren't considered classics whatever this means.
>>
>>4149958
No, because it brings nothing new to the table, it's just a lazy Streets of Rage 2.5. And also because:

>muh soundtrack
>>
>>4150038
>No, because it brings nothing new to the table, it's just a lazy Streets of Rage 2.5
you can apply that to several highly regarded sequels (Thief 2, Crash Bandicoot 2, Tomb Raider 2 and on and on)
I think the upgrade in mobility alone makes it great. It feels fantastic to play and getting back to SoR2 forces you to a rough adjustment
>>
>>4150048
>you can apply that to several highly regarded sequels
...but not to Streets of Rage 2.

Anyway, I don't find SoR 3 significantly better than 2, like Sonic 2 was compared to Sonic 1, for example.
>>
>>4150056
>like Sonic 2 was compared to Sonic 1, for example.
imagine having this much of a shit taste
>>
File: smacking-WA-720x547.jpg (45KB, 720x547px) Image search: [Google]
smacking-WA-720x547.jpg
45KB, 720x547px
>>4150059
>(You)
>>
>>4149958
SoR 3 was great, it just had the unfortunate pleasure of following up SoR 2, greatest beat em up ever.
>>
>>4150048
>you can apply that to several highly regarded sequels

The key difference is that those were still good games despite not adding too much.

SOR3 was not.
>>
>>4150202
The use of having access to a short cooldown, health-free suicide attack completly changes the game. You can play it much more aggressivily.

The problem I had with the game is that I remember enemies being health sponges. Maybe it was due to poor enemy selection or maybe they really did have too much hp. I can't remember
>>
>>4149958
Yep. BK3 is the best in the series. It's got way more moves, it's faster, everyone can dash etc. It's just so much more fun to play. Going back to 2 after playing 3 recently was like night and day.
>>
>>4149958

the streets of rage remake is execllent and a must play for anyone who enjoys beat em ups

sega tried to (((shut it down))) but they released jt anyway
>>
>>4150973
"Oy vey!"
--Mr. X when he dies
>>
>>4149958
With that crappy soundtrack it had? Nah. It was so horrible that it was like electronic ants raping my mind.
>>
>>4151247
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6fmXF3r_aw

SoR3 soundtrack is insanely brilliant and still way ahead of its time. SoR 2's is just a bunch of cheesy Hi-NRG gay disco tracks.
>>
Although BK3 is still a great game, it was still a step down from SOR2. I think some would still be disappointed even if we got the original version untouched.
>>
>>4151247
Rape is the purest form of love.
>>
>>4151286
>way ahead of its time
Stop this meme now. It's just run-of-the-mill 90s techno.
>>
>>4151297
>Koshiro created a new composition method called the "Automated Composing System" to produce "fast-beat techno like jungle." It was the most advanced techno technique of the time, incorporating heavily randomized sequences. This resulted in innovative and experimental sounds generated automatically that, according to Koshiro, "you ordinarily never could imagine on your own." This method was very rare at the time, but has since become popular among techno and trance producers to get "unexpected and odd sounds."

Just accept that you are a pleb.
>>
>>4151335
Yawn. I already know that. The end result is just like any early 90s rave track, just more annoying and unfun.
>>
>console beat em up

ahhahahahahaahahahaha *breathes in* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA
>>
>>4151352
Select a similar sounding early 90s rave track. I'll wait.
>>
>>4151372
Aquastep - Oempa Loempa

Now imagine it with more unpleasant and unappropriate FM sounds, and you have a standard Streets of Rage 3 track.
>>
File: F1D.jpg (164KB, 1916x1079px) Image search: [Google]
F1D.jpg
164KB, 1916x1079px
>>4151364
>>
>>4151395
Nigga u need to get your ears checked. That sounds like an SoR2 track, not 3. Only thing I can think of from the period that comes close to 3's is late 90s Orbital.

If you prefer this shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NN6eToER-A

to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUAIaltZ7Lo

u fucking gay and need to rethink life.
>>
>>4151395
Lol they soud nothing alike. You're garbage, lol.
>>
>>4151424
Yes, the second track is better than the first, as SOR 2 has its fair share of poor tracks. Don't you think the style of SOR 2 is actually nearer to SOR 3 than it is to SOR 1 (I'm talking about the soundtrack)? To me, SOR 3 sounds like the worst of SOR 2 on steroids.

Anyway, I just found a mixtape from 93 or 94 that gives you the flavor of the day. Don't tell me you don't hear the influence on SOR 3 now.

https://youtu.be/3ot_ERY98Gs
>>
>>4151461
That's not a very nice thing to say. Also, maybe you just lack imagination. It's not that far of the boss music in SOR 3, for example. You could mix both tracks together pretty well. Use your mind.
>>
>>4151502
Update: I re-listened Oempa Loempa and it sounded more aggressive in my head, lol.

The mixtape above is more accurate. And a lot of acid, hardcore, or even gabber tracks from 1992-94 could do the trick. Don't look up the big names, more like the unknown tracks with 850 views that will pop up if you try random searches on YouTube with the genre name + the year. These are what Yuzo listened in the clubs to get inspiration.
>>
Koshiro doesn't have "influences" as he isn't a real composer. He's just a lame plagiarizer.
>>
Streets of Rage 3 is a good game. Streets of Rage 2 is just a perfect game, so it naturally pales in comparison.

2 > 3 > 1

I'm still not entirely sure what to make of Remake.
>>
>>4151485
>>4151556
The early 90s club influence is definitely apparent in SoR2, but way less so in 3 where there are only a couple of tracks that have the standard 90s club boots-n-pants rhythm.
The track with the Peter Gunn riff is a perfect example of what I'm talking about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDk5v1DV_Lc
and sounds like some bizarre Richard D James take from a Euro library LP.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.