[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Play Command & Conquer when I was a kid in the 90s &

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: command.jpg (1MB, 1400x1682px) Image search: [Google]
command.jpg
1MB, 1400x1682px
>Play Command & Conquer when I was a kid in the 90s
>It mercilessly kicks my ass
>Decide to play it now that I'm an adult, figured it'd be easy for me like most games that gave me trouble when I was a kid
>Found it for free here:
>http://www.freegameempire.com/games/Command-Conquer
>Try playing it
>It kicks my ass again

Damn, what the hell am I doing wrong?

Click "New Missions" and try that first level "Blackout". It kicks my ass every time! Can any of you guys beat it?
>>
>>4149041
Learn basic RTS principles and laugh at any RTS single player campaign.
>>
>>4149041
This is blatant advertising/malware. Nice try though.
>>
>>4149085

Malware? It's not malware. You don't have to download anything, you can play it in your browser.

I'm looking up strategies on GameFAQS. Apparently I wasn't play offense enough, focusing on defense too much.
>>
>>4149085

EA released C&C, Red Alert, and Tib Sun as shareware years ago.

Fag.
>>
>>4149097

Sounds like you think you're playing sim city. Look up build orders instead.
>>
The *superior* way to play it would be OpenRA, since that also enables you to play Red Alert and Dune 2000, as well as enabling online multiplayer. If you're a purist, you might be a little irked that they've added things like build-queuing and construction categories that came later.

Alternatively, if you already have the games of RA2, TibSun, Generals, etc etc, and you miss the online multiplayer, there's cnc-online for that.
>>
>>4150498

OpenRA is shit though. It's not even the same game.
>>
I'm a mechanical man.
>>
>>4150523
Indeed - it's *superior*
>>
>>4151534
You sure are, dude.
>>
>>4150523
>OpenRA is shit though
>not even the same game
Choose one.
Original C&Cs had terrible multiplayer and single player is boring nowadays, because >>4149048
OpenRA was the best thing that could happen to those games. Rebalancing the units and fractions, modernizing the game engine and interface literally resurrected the game. It has now a decent community and a competitive scene.
>>
>>4149041
I beat both campaigns when I was 8 years old
man the fuck up faggot
>>
>>4152678

OP here.

Looking at GameFAQS helped. I had no clue about which weapons did what lol. Found out there are some bad ass helicopters that make things a lot easier.

I don't have an instruction manual to consult, so I was just figuring shit out as I went along lol. No wonder I was terrible.
>>
File: SCG13EA.png (315KB, 2160x1344px) Image search: [Google]
SCG13EA.png
315KB, 2160x1344px
OP, play the campaign first. It starts easy and gets progressively harder to accommodate you to the gameplay. The "New Missions" are from the expansion pack, Covert Operations, and they are super hard levels meant for seasoned players who completed the original campaign.

>>4149048
>Learn basic RTS principles and laugh at any RTS single player campaign.

C&C has historically had fucking great level design though, see pic related. Fast rushes (99% of "RTS principles") will not work because the AI has full bases already. Even on commando missions, you need to manage your resources and be at the correct place in the correct time, not rush.

The only laughable thing in C&C is the AI logic and how badly each game scales with larger maps / unit count. Tiberian Sun was the most extreme example, it bogged down to 10 fps if you had 10 tanks on screen.
Even Westwoods latest game, Grey Goo, has speed problems that way. Probably why they are forcing the retarded population cap in their last three games. Which is fucking pointless when you have a faction with unlimited basebuilding capability that is not limited by the pop cap, but I digress.
>>
>>4150498
>If you're a purist, you might be a little irked that they've added things like build-queuing and construction categories that came later.

I'd actually be fine with that since the one thing that prevents me from re-playing the First Decade of C&C games is the prehistoric controls.

Have they added Attack Move, Reverse Move, Waypoints, and Aggressive stance (ie. auto attack every enemy building, not just combat units) to the game yet?
>>
OP here.

I beat "Blackout". It's not so hard once you know what to do.

You've got to take over their base with engineers. Then it's easy.
>>
>>4150498
>>4150523
>>4152630

Actually OpenRA is kinda broken for single player campaigns because in one playthrough I was doing, it forced my Engineers to do damage to structures instead of take them over.

However the map required Capturing a radar installation in order to win. Cant capture it because engineers only damage buildings.

#SNAFU
>>
File: wizard (2).jpg (125KB, 916x835px) Image search: [Google]
wizard (2).jpg
125KB, 916x835px
>>4149041

Play a map through once, get your ass kicked. Check what kind of strategy the enemy is using against you.

I can almost guarantee that spamming soldiers will keep you safe. Just keep them around the base and try to flank with them, they can in fact chew up tanks.

When you're ready to attack, send in tanks and engineers. Let the tanks get fucked so you can capture buildings and eat them (if you cant get the const. yard at least eat the refinery and war factory).

Then send in the soldiers you were using to protect your base. Make sure you're not getting attacked at the same time as you're sending the soldiers out though... it can be hard to determine which direction the enemy has been sending its war parties (in order to send your soldiers the same way in case they just happen to have tanks rolling at you)

Air units Suck in CC, its a niche use unit typically. If you've got the stuff to make Air then you should be sending it after ground defense structures just before an attack. Maybe use it for defense against tanks.

> No Healing

Ironically I think the reason no medics were in the first game is because soldier health gauges probably indicate how many able bodied soldiers remain in the platoon. They get injured, they're either dead or out of commission, hit points == number of guys left in the unit.

> Commando Missions

The hardest ones. Especially when you dont get a base at all (I remember the next to last mission for Nod in CC:TS was bugged and you could fail even though you got the guy you needed because you didnt properly capture the enemy base).

There is usually only 1 way to play these, just undnerstand the strategy involved and do it. I hate it when they engineer a mission so that you cant play it except one way.
>>
>>4155009
>it forced my Engineers to do damage to structures instead of take them over.

Confirmed to never have played RA ever. In RA, engineers do damage instead of taking over. They can only take over a building, if it is in the red already.

So, damage the building first -> send engineer in.
>>
I'm a dinosaur man.
>>
>>4153083
>I don't have an instruction manual to consult, so I was just figuring shit out as I went along lol. No wonder I was terrible.
It's me >>4152678
Dude, I didn't even read english at the time, still managed to fucking beat the game
>>
>>4155701
What a badass we got here
>>
>>4149041
>Click "New Missions" and try that first level "Blackout"
That's where you went wrong. New Missions are expansion missions, they are designed for people who have finished the main game and want more challenging maps to keep playing.
>>
Just for the record, I live in Bialystok and it ISN'T a happy farming town for peace loving peasants
>>
>>4156505
nigga I'm from Torun and I'm not happy either
>>
>>4149041
pretty much my experience with Castlevannia
>>
File: IMG_0142.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0142.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
C&C thread?

Just copped these the other day
>>
>>4156505
>>4156507
False-flaggeers from NOD detected

Reccomend Ion Cannon Strike, Commander. Only wy to be sure
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.