[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best hardware revision of the Xbox360 for playing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: Xbox360 logo.jpg (28KB, 400x260px) Image search: [Google]
Xbox360 logo.jpg
28KB, 400x260px
Consider the following points:
Ease of hacking/modding
RROD resistance
Does the drive scratch discs?
How loud is the cooling fan (lower wattage PSUs may help to reduce this noise)?
Quality of analog video outputs/encoding for use with a CRT
>>
The original version of Xbox 360 has 2.5" hard drive enclosure on the top.
This is the crappiest version because it RRODs the most, and is the noisiest.

The second version of the Xbox360 is more angular and lacks the HDD enclosure. It can also be distinguished by the capacitative (touch not press) power and eject buttons. This is the best version because it has less RROD, less fan noise (by no means silent though), has a S/PDIF port for your HiFi receiver, and has more internal storage for ROMs than the original versions.

The last version of Xbox 360 mimics the appearance of the Xbox One but is smaller.
This "E" version lacks the AV port and thus is HDMI only so it cannot be used with CRTs.
These come with the largest hard drives for emulation on LCD TVs but are probably harder to hack because they have newer, patched firmware.
>>
>>4148875
You can change the hard drive tough, not even a hard mod.
>>
>>4148875
Devices exist for like $8 that can take HDMI out and convert it to VGA.
>>
The original model 360 was poorly designed and probably every revision will eventually fail due to RROD or related hardware failure if left alone.

The "slim" model is not prone to the same kinds of hardware failure.
>>
File: End_thread.jpg (846KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
End_thread.jpg
846KB, 2592x1944px
I like the original for all the cool faceplates. I can't let mine go because of all the leading 0s on its serial number, that calling in Microsoft's support for the system they didn't believe it at first. I know they eventually fixed the red ring problem when they introduced the slim, which cannot display a red ring (it can display a red dot) which fixes the red ring problem.
>>
File: Xbox-360S-Console-Set.jpg (2MB, 2440x3360px) Image search: [Google]
Xbox-360S-Console-Set.jpg
2MB, 2440x3360px
>>4148141
I have this matte Slim with RGH2 I think and it plays all two dozens of my NTSC-J and XBLA shoot 'em ups. Everything from CAVE to Radiant Silvergun to Raiden. Xbox backwards compatibility works too, it's my Burnout 3 machine.
>>
>>4148901
Conversion adds delay, which defeats half the point of using CRTs
>>
File: 71vEkOzVbeL._SL1500_.jpg (155KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
71vEkOzVbeL._SL1500_.jpg
155KB, 1500x1500px
>>4148875
The E version has a 3.5mm output jack and comes with an A/V cable for it (and does NOT come with an HDMI cable)
>>
>>4149789

weird.

>THE MORE YOU KNOW....
>>
Jasper, or Slim. Both are extremely reliable. (I speak from experience, I've gone through multiple boxes, Jasper's are quality). Only issue is liteon drives (for flashing)
>>
>>4149860
>Jasper

I have heard this name before.
What makes the Jasper revision so sought after?

After reading >>4149789 I'm thinking of going for an E (Xbox one mimic). It's probably the quietest, most reliable, most storage of them all and my calibrated Trinitron CRTV makes composite look really good.
>>
>>4150501
not that anon but iirc it's the lowest voltage one that's not a slim and they're the most reliable as a result of being the last fat revision.
>>
>>4150501
Jasper chipsets were used in the very last old model 360s. They have newer manufacturing processes which allow them to run on lower power which also makes them run cooler but the original 360 design is naturally prone to failures like the RROD due to the poor ventilation. With the slim models Microsoft completely rearranged everything to make the airflow better and they also further improved the manufacturing processes on the chipset so they use even less power.
>>
>>4150501
>I'm thinking of going for an E (Xbox one mimic).

Accroding to wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_technical_specifications

The very last revision of the Xbox360E (Winchester) which came with 500GB patched the reset glitch hack.

I don't know if it's still possible to jailbreak a 360 and install emulators/play backups without that method.
>>
>>4149789
little off topic, but isnt there a hole for one of those things in the raspberry pi?
is it worth picking up for crt play?
>>
Few questions
What plays XBox games the best? OG, 360 or Bone?
If OG, what's the best picture you can get with it? I know you can get Component, but there are 3 different cables people recommend: Dongle ver, no Dong ver, Monster cables. Dongle looks like it supports Optical but the rest don't.
>>
File: xbox av.jpg (196KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
xbox av.jpg
196KB, 800x600px
>>4151223
hd av pack is prone to losing its signal, I think it's just poorly made. I have the second iteration official cables and the optical audio is actually on the back side of the "fin" of the plug that goes in the console side. These are considered the best ones, I haven't tried them personally but they definitely have some real heftiness to them. Probably the meanest cables I have in my posession as far as weight and material.

I think these are the best cables for the system. The original Xbox is the best way to play original xbox games, I don't think xbone supports it yet so that may change things in the future, but for now it's such a great system to mod and run back up loading dashboards from. 360 BC is a disaster and should be avoided.
>>
>>4151237
Are there any side by side comparisons between OG and 360 gameplay?
I'm really just hooking it all up to play Shenmue 2, JSRF, and Panzer Dragoon Orta
I can't think of any other game really worth it on the OG
>>
>>4151242
You're gonna get missing visual effects and significantly worse performance. Wish I could show you a really clean example, but digital foundry covered how shenmue 2 for example is butchered on the 360.

https://youtu.be/7HNOSQqoUcg?t=1432

plus with the original xbox you can mod the games so you can use an undub with the far better japanese voice acting in shenmue 2. 360 it may be possible but modding those is a lot more complicated/expensive.
>>
>>4151242
also as a side note, look into more of the original xbox's games. Most 6th gen multiplats were best on the xbox, including compared to the PC versions. There was free DLC which you can still download and transfer to your Xbox to this day, and lots of games even had modded content. There's some awesome stuff like otogi 1 & 2, the warriors in native 720p, black, steel battalion, and lots more that you should absolutely look into. It's a sorely under appreciated console.
>>
>>4151269
>>4151272
Is there any OG differences that are significant?
>>
>>4151407
1.0-1.3 models are the best to have (conexant video chip) and have the least issues. focus chip consoles are OK, xcalibur (1.6) video chip consoles are the worst. all models except xcalibur chip consoles have a faulty capacitor for the clock which leaks over time and will cause damage. You can just remove it with no issues however. 1.6 models require this capacitor but fortunately the problem was fixed in these units.

that's really it pretty much. The games with issues are ones like panzer dragoon orta and jsrf where they require a patch to run in 480p on these systems, but it's not exactly hard to fix, just a bit of extra work.
>>
>>4151912
Do the conexant chips have sharper video output (better NTSC encoder) than the focus and xcalibur chips?
Or is quality of chip rated by something else like 480p compatibility?
>>
>>4149264
i have this same 360. its the best version.
>>
>>4152975
I don't think there's been any sort of comparisons like that, it's nothing like the SNES where an early model with RGB will look pretty crappy still - the xbox is kind of unfortunate in that it always looks a little soft as far as its output is concerned.

Some games just weren't designed for the changes the new video chips introduced, so they have bugs - like panzer dragoon orta. So it's best to get a conexant model. It's very easy to find these models too, just look at the manufacture date and the manufacture region.

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=367210&seqNum=2

this page is useful.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.