[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did older bootleg games have such nice presentation? Older

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

File: SAM_4347.jpg (32KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_4347.jpg
32KB, 400x266px
Why did older bootleg games have such nice presentation?
Older Famicom carts from back in the day had this nice minimalistic design with original art. No game title though, just a number code, but it looks so much better than the more modern "SUPER MARIO DUPER SONIC ADVENTURE MAGICAL KINGDOM" with collages using art from modern games, I've seen a famiclone Mario cart with Mario Sunshine cover.
>>
>>4147153
Well, the example you have isn't original art, it is just the Famicom SMB art with Mario edited out for some reason. Or maybe you meant THE original art, in which case yeah, basically.

As for your question, the most likely explanation is:

>Hey, our bootleg looks like those other bootlegs, only with a different shell color and product number.
>Why would someone choose ours over theirs?
>I know, let's put a title on it making it seem like something exciting. Super Mario Warriors sounds good.
>Hey, now that other bootleg game also has an exciting title... Well, let's make OURS have some super high number after it to make people think it is a fresh, new game when it is still just some generic spritehack garbage. Super Mario Warriors 8, we'll call it!
>Oh, they made theirs Ultra Mario 10? Fuck that, we're putting Mario with a gun and Robocop on the label and filling the game with repeat ROMs and calling it ULTRA MARIO WARRIORS 85 99999 IN 1 and a little starburst the says NEW GAME. That'll make all the kids buy our shitty bootleg!

Basically just piratestrying to differentiate their shit from everyone else's in a way they thought would appeal to whoever buys bootleg Famicom crap.
>>
File: I want to believe.jpg (65KB, 433x618px) Image search: [Google]
I want to believe.jpg
65KB, 433x618px
>>
>>4147249
>I want to believe there's a way out of this rape dungeon
FTFYK
>>
File: .jpg (33KB, 525x720px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
33KB, 525x720px
>>4147153
>>
>>4147204
By original art I mean that yeah, they used original source material, original art.
Well, except that Mario isn't there.
Here's another example.
>>
>>4147204
>with Mario edited out for some reason.
But why?
>>
File: 9999-in-1.jpg (64KB, 480x302px) Image search: [Google]
9999-in-1.jpg
64KB, 480x302px
I had this cart and it, too, had Mario removed. Maybe it was a trademark thing? Like, for some reason they could get away with copyright violation but not trademark violation? That would explain the lack of titles, too.
>>
>>4147314
There are stairs
>>
>>4147451
Is this the bootleg that let you choose any suit by pressing select at the item screen? That's the one I used to play in 1992 or so.
>>
>>4147860
That's exactly right.
>>
>>4148053
Thought so. I still remember discovering emulation and getting really pissed off with SMB3 because all the roms I tried lacked the feature. Never thought that shit wasn't originally intended and didn't put two and two together until much later.
>>
>>4147645

So that's where you keep your asians
>>
File: Foghorn is loudmouthed.jpg (25KB, 392x298px) Image search: [Google]
Foghorn is loudmouthed.jpg
25KB, 392x298px
>>4149316
Asian girls fucking hate me. Too much of a big fat loudmouth.
>>
>>4149316
His anime pillows are in the bedroom. The ones that rub the lotion on it's skin are just random kids lured out of an SUV with candy while mom was buying some smokes.
>>
>>4151075
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker
>>
>>4151104
Just when I thought we'd reached rock bottom tripfag pulls out a jackhammer and takes it deeper.
>>
>>4151405
Normies get OUT. Reeeee
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.