[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wabi-sabi is a Japanese philosophy that embraces flaws and imperfection.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 11

File: $_86.jpg (94KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
$_86.jpg
94KB, 1024x1024px
Wabi-sabi is a Japanese philosophy that embraces flaws and imperfection.
Kintsugi is another Japanese philosophy that treats damage as part of an objects history rather than something to disguise.
Do you think these philosophies apply to old vidya consoles?
>>
>>4145417
Thank god it doesn't.

Otherwise you'd see retards damage their consoles and games on purpose to give them more "value", like some retards do to their guitars.
>>
File: 1488895284565.jpg (125KB, 768x835px) Image search: [Google]
1488895284565.jpg
125KB, 768x835px
Those philosophies generally coincide with objects of historical significance, not toys. We're talking about a hunk of plastic and soldered metal bits, not the pyramids in Egypt or the Statue of Liberty.

And if you allowed something to stay weathered or damaged for a period of time then it wouldn't last as long, right? Meaning you're allowing what you might consider "objects of history" to not be preserved properly for people years from now to enjoy them.
>>
I think that is valid OP, excellent question.

Despite >>4145425 (that didn't understand the full principle of Wabi-sabi/Kintsugi), each mark into a object it's a trace of history, naturally. Like scars in a human flesh.

Wabi-sabi don't consider intentional damage, but a kind of 'natural degradation/accident', search about it.
>>
I think the actual philosphy is that of the faggotto weeaboo, who puts an absurdly over valued importance on obsolete childhood toys.
>>
>>4145445
a console could have a damaged case but a pristine chipset, meaning it could last a long time

>>4145453
>but a kind of 'natural degradation/accident'
that would apply to my old snes
>>
>>4145453
I understand the principle. I'm just telling you not everyone does, which is why tons of retards damage their own guitars on purpose to make them look more "retro and cool"
>>
>>4145521
Oh, I understood now, sry to my wrong guess about you.

Yeah, it's a shame, that enrages me.
>>
>>4145506
>a console could have a damaged case but a pristine chipset, meaning it could last a long time
I mean in the sense of what the OP image is. That's clearly not damage done by accident, but by some dipshit smoking and placing his NES in bright light for weeks on end. You don't have to preserve what you enjoy to continue to enjoy it as it is, but it certainly helps actively avoiding things that would otherwise cause it to break down.
>>
>>4145463
All part of the hikkikomori life
>>
Coping bullsiht. People just trying to make their junk sound special.
>>
File: Enlightened NES gamer.jpg (170KB, 600x854px) Image search: [Google]
Enlightened NES gamer.jpg
170KB, 600x854px
To me, accepting and embracing a console or platform's shortcomings, reflecting upon them in their historical context, is an essential part of the retro gaming experience. Understanding WHY and HOW those games were made the way the were made is enjoyable on its own, just as playing them is. Those two aspects are inextricably linked to me.

In this light, I will never understand people who mod their NES for RGB or even HDMI.
>>
Yeah, but only if said imperfections or damage was from something I owned.
For example, if I had to buy a console today, I'd try to get one in the best possible condition, but if the console was mine and I know the damage or whatever other "time marks" is because of my own history with the system, then I don't mind and yeah, I'd rather leave it as is.
Also if said damage isn't too heavy, like, if there's corrosion or something like that I will fix it.
But superficial marks are OK, again, as long as it's part of my history.
Although being honest, I'm not that autistic about MINT either. I recently bought a Super Famicom and it's obvious it's not brand-new, has a small mark in one of the corners, but I don't really mind, it works so it's fine.
Also, I don't get consoles for display, but to actually give them use. I'm not the type of collector who displays his stuff in the shelves, the stuff I'm not using ATM is stored in boxes.
>>
>>4145539
notwithstanding OP's pic, it's pretty well understood that older nes and snes consoles can turn yellow even without smoking and excessive sun exposure. My snes was never exposed to smoke, maybe some sun through the window, but then how was I to know as a kid?

>>4145559
yeah i agree with this sentiment; if it's MY damage, then it's fine. If it's someone else's, you'd have to wonder what caused it, and if any internal damage was done

>>4145557
I'm more sympathetic to those who want to play their old consoles on new tv's. After all, CRT's will degrade, even when not in use
>>
It makes me wonder if the NES is embarrassed. I mean it looks like it peed itself.
>>
>>4145594
haha
>>
>>4145417
I know this feel.

my chipped playstation back in the day played some games in black and white, I have no idea why. I wouldn't recommend Medal of Honor in any other format, it was simply amazing.

i'm not sure how yellowing plastic applies to this but I think you have a point. old consoles are supposed to be found in boxes covered in dust, not some museum set peice never to be touched again.
>>
>>4145592
>After all, CRT's will degrade, even when not in use
Even more reason to enjoy them while they last.
>>
>>4145417
>Wabi-sabi is a Japanese philosophy that embraces flaws and imperfection.
Such as everything their society does.
>>
File: robotron-not-moved[3].jpg (78KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
robotron-not-moved[3].jpg
78KB, 480x640px
>>4145417
>Do you think these philosophies apply to old vidya consoles
Yes although to a less extent than some other items. To me, arcade machines in particular evoke these qualities the most. They tend to stay in one place for long periods of time and get used by lots of the particular type of people who go there. If I go back to Cedar Point this year maybe I'll try to capture some of that quality many of those machines have.

Once in a while a "gore" thread will end up focusing on damaged cartridges whether they have label damage or writing or stickers on them it still implies some history and I think that a lot of the people who argue against "restoration" and repro labels are actually appreciating these philosophies without realizing that the japanese have a term for them.

Consoles themselves sadly I'd have to place pretty far down the list of things that absorb history along with their punishment. They don't actually get touched very much so they suffer a lot less "wear" and a lot more "tear" meaning their damage is generally a result of the same type of neglect/mistreatment and any stickers are usually put on with the intention of decoration which usually detracts from the "authenticity" of the thing. I do kind of like that tape on the lid though. I wonder if it was for an IR receiver.
>>
>>4145417
My snes has a broken reset button.

I'm only keeping it because I am a cheap cunt.
>>
I don't really know if I believe all this.

Maybe a small scratch here or there, but buying an n64 say with a third party expansion pak that causes the console to overheat isn't really an endearing feature worth saving.
>>
>>4145417

While this is true, note that wabi-sabi and kintsugi items are often cleaned / repaired while respecting the weathering on the object.

In that sense, I believe this NES might be an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOCfLN0bKcg

Same thing with that burnt Gameboy that supposedly was in the Gulf war that gets posted now and then.
>>
>>4145417
Eastern philosophy, is eastern for a reason. It's based on a culture that evolved separately from the west thats why there's a many philosophy professors in the US will outright tell you that they western philosophy. Wabi-sabi and Kintsugi are only going to apply to vidya if they become widely accepted in the west. In general I don't see it happening.
>>
I repair parts on my consoles from time to time, if it makes more sense financially to do so. If it would be cheaper to replace it then I replace it. Simple as that.
>>
Imperfections and patina are fine. It's more important to treat these things with respect. That means: cleaning, maintenance, repair. Also they should get used!
>>
>>4146387
The basic concepts are instinctive. Everyone understands that wear and damage to an object tell a story.
>>
>>4145417
The word kintsugi always makes me think of the patch in my kitchen cabinet from where the a shotgun went off.
>>
>>4145776
Why dont you fix it?
>>
>>4146417
In objects of historical relevance maybe. Most people aren't going to go out and repair a 100 year old cavalry saber due to historic value, but most people won't think twice about repairing a chipped stock on an M16.
>>
File: brownbox1[1].jpg (177KB, 850x500px) Image search: [Google]
brownbox1[1].jpg
177KB, 850x500px
>>4146473
They still make M-16s exactly the same though. As emulation becomes more and more mainstream, more and more of the value in authentic games is becoming historical.
>>
I just don't understand why people are trying to push the idea of collector value on to games. Is it that they want to be able to say look at all the games I have they are worth $XX? Is it that they want games to have some kind of major historical relevance? I really don't get it, but it seems like a lot of very vocal people are pushing the idea that retro games are meant to be treated as collectibles.
>>
>>4146483
>They still make M-16s exactly the same though.
They may cavalry sabers for decades (maybe centuries, but people in those days still repaired their sabers. It's only now that sabers aren't commonly made, that people attach historical reference to them.

>As emulation becomes more and more mainstream, more and more of the value in authentic games is becoming historical.
Which is why some people make reproductions of those games and give them physical format.

What you are trying to do here is attribute a value to games so you can parade your collection around while feeling smug and superior.
>>
>>4146497
Swing and a miss. Part of the actual reason that I collect and especially that I hold onto my collections is because the history attached to them is meaningful to me personally but now there are more and more people all the time to whom the history of gaming is meaningful. If you want to bust me on anything it should be how I enjoy the validation of having lived the life for so long.
>>
File: IMG_0066s.jpg (248KB, 1008x756px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0066s.jpg
248KB, 1008x756px
Here's my SNES, I've posted it on here before
You can see it's yellowed, possibly due to some ambient sunlight (it's also an older model). There is also a chunk missing from the corner, possibly due to embrittlement associated with yellowing, or possibly created during a heated game where a controller was yanked or something, hitting the rail of our TV cabinet. I don't think there's any point using retrobrite on this since it will never look new, but I like how it looks, and I know its history
>>
No I agree, it's like the yellow pages of an old book.
There's a certain charm to it. Especially if you've owned it since it was new, as others said.
>>
>>4145417
Kintsugi applies. Even a mass produced toy has a story as an individual object. I'm thinking about all those cartridges that someone tore the label off of or wrote on. Those damages tell the story of the people who played those games back when they were new. They were owned by some kids who didn't value them, probably didn't imagine anyone would still care about them today. That bit of perspective is trivial compared to the history of a damaged object like the Liberty Bell, but it is meaningful for how easy it is to forget today.

Wabi-sabi does not apply. These marks and stains aren't beautiful (even if scars and damages can be beautiful in another context). I guess I could imagine some kind of vaguely artistic composition involving faded consoles in various stages of yellowing or something, like an age progression. But I think that would be using the concept of "time" as art or beauty rather than the yellowed consoles themselves.
>>
File: 20170725_203915.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170725_203915.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>4146563
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
>>
>>4146542
In the 1980s and 1990s you could not have foreseen that in the mid 2000's people would start actively collecting games. As for historic value the video game museum in Japan has that covered. The only reason collectors collect is parade your collection around while feeling smug and superior. So tell me again how you're not an egocentric smug ass.
>>
>>4145554
This pretty much.
>>
>>4146697
I'm not saying I'm not egocentric and smug, I'm telling you that it doesn't come from "parading around" my collection, my collection is a side effect of my egocentrism.

You clearly have a erroneous sense of the collecting hobby if you think people like me only started actively collecting games in the mid-2000s. That's actually when I slowed it down. I'd tell you what I'm actively collecting now but I'm sure you'd just think it was stupid until 10 or 20 years from now when you will think no one could have possibly been interested in it in the '10s.
>>
>>4145425
it's not about adding value through damage, it's about damage/usage not necessarily diminishing value.
>>
>>4146563
I like buying carts that people have signed their name on to. Its like making a claim to it. Like saying this is mine and if anyone ever says its not, itll have my name on it.

Now I own it.
>>
>>4148659
do you also pee on everything you own?
>>
>>4145417
Bullshit.
>>
>>4145417
It seems like everyone in this thread misunderstood the concepts. It is not monetary value but intrinsic value we are talking about here.
I think a good example of the Kintsugi concept described by Op would be people's names written on to the cartridges with permanent marker. It doesn't increase the monetary value (actually it decreases it) but it does lend a bit of history to the cartridge and makes it completely unique, you get to see the name of some kid who probably originally owned it back in the day.
I personally try not to remove rental stickers from my games because I like to see the bit of history of where the game came from. Many of my games came from old mom and pop rental stores from my hometown that I frequented as a kid. These places are now long gone but I have games that I bought from them on clearance and kept the sticker as a nostalgic reminder. To anyone else these stickers would be an eye sore and would probably be removed but to me since they were part of my childhood I consider them to be intrinsically valuable because it is the actual game I rented as a kid. Hope this makes sense.
>>
>>4145417
weeb shit
>>
>>4148698
You're using a japanese website, weeb.
>>
>>4148662
Ill pee on everything you own
>>
>>4148556
this

>>4148375
it's not so much about re-selling, more about appreciating your old relics

>>4148693
this guy gets it
>>
>>4145445
I'd say that the concept could apply to an object that has personal significance or history to an individual, such as a gameboy with a laceration on the side where you used it as a club on your little brother's head, to name a completely hypothetical example. It adds value in a way due to the personalization for the individual.
>>
>>4148938
>>4149114
>>4148693
It's a stupid fucking concept and you're a sick fuck. I'm gonna leave, understand you fucking wacko?
>>
Most of you guys got wabi-sabi and kintsugi confused.
Kintsugi literally translates to "join with gold" and isn't as much of a philosophy as it is just a technique. It's just joining things together with a golden looking glue/paste/whatever. You could say kintsugi is an example of wabi-sabi.

Wabi-sabi on the other hand is the philosophy of things being incomplete, not perfect or with flaws. Which just kind of applies here. A kid writing on their cart and a console breaking after time or getting discolored could be considered wabi-sabi but it's a big stretch.
A label being placed not perfectly straight by human hands or some other "error" in production or assembly would make more sense.
That being said, I do have a bunch of carts signed by kids that by now have their own kids. I wouldn't erase their names from the carts, ever.
>>
>>4145417
usually i dont like yellowing, or lots of markings, but its just my personal taste for my own collection. even then, it's not a consistent opinion. i love the way beat up old genesis games look, especially the ones prior to the red-label format.

so yeah, i totally get why wear and tear is appealing. shows its been around, seen shit.
>>
>>4145417
Bullshit. Wasabi is Japanese horseradish
>>
>>4145417
yes, i prefer my fat ds over dslite, the shitty, dim lcd is cozy.
>>
>>4149865
How about you go Seppuku so you don't have to hara kiri according to keikaku?
>>
File: ss-1.png (351KB, 580x435px) Image search: [Google]
ss-1.png
351KB, 580x435px
I have a SFC very close to pic related and I kinda like it more than my pristine, late-production one.

At least when uniform, yellowing can be charming, but for example in the OP's image, it just looks like your cat pissed on it.
>>
wabee sabee, bossy man
>>
>>4150365
man i didn't realise they could get that yellow. It's kinda cool.
Mine has gone more of a tan colour, and mainly on the upper outer rim which is chipped. I'd like to find a replacement for that part that makes it look more uniform
>>
>>4150365
your like it was an ingredient in a curry
>>
>>4150034
same reason I don't use my AGS101 sp
>>
>>4150365
I would get that Super Famicom checked by a gastroenterologist if I were you. Progressive, painless jaundice is a typical symptom of cancer of the pancreas or bile ducts. Nintendo units are especially prone to this disease, as has been shown by the Satoru Iwata model.

>>4152328
I don't mind the dimness of my AGS001, but the colours are all messed up, bluish tint with little vibrancy. Dim setting on AGS101 is fine.
>>
>>4146486
They are already. That's why they're so expensive.
>>
>>4148384
GameCube/Wii? PS2-3?
>>
File: IMG_0067.jpg (534KB, 1714x1156px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0067.jpg
534KB, 1714x1156px
I have no memory of how i lost chunks out of my snes shell, so i don't know whether it still has sentimental value or if i should replace that perticular part of it
pls no bully
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.