[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question for retro system and game owners: will you hang on to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 11

File: 287_0989.jpg (2MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
287_0989.jpg
2MB, 4000x3000px
Question for retro system and game owners: will you hang on to your stuff indefinitely now that these things are getting really unobtainable due to price/scarcity, or will you eventually cash out?
>>
everyone has a price. would I sell my snes if its value went up to $300? no, but I would without hesitation for $700 if things got to that point
>>
I gotta wonder if there's an artificial bubble that's gonna pop

Like Atari 2600s are even older but have virtually no monetary value
>>
Maybe when and if I need the money. Been selling my Magic cards so far, I have less faith in their market holding.
>>
>>4141590
I would never get rid of my consoles, but if games got to 400, 500, 600 bucks a pop I would probably sell the games off in a heartbeat and just play on flashcarts.
>>
>>4141649
This.

Software is essentially worthless in practical terms at this point. It's the hardware that's going to be irreplaceable in the future. I've been stockpiling consoles and controllers but spend almost nothing on original games (besides anomalies like SVP Virtua Racing which won't run from a flashcart)
>>
>>4141631
Atari 2600 sucks tho
>>
>>4141631
Not sure if bubble is the right word, but eventually the people who lived in an given era start dying off, which reduces demand for things from that era
>>
>>4141590
I will never sell my vidya merchandise ever again. When I was a child, I traded in all of my Genesis and SNES stuff to a store in order to buy some newer stuff. I have never regretted a decision as much as this in my life. Nearly 20 years later, I'm still mad.
>>
>>4141590
There's no sense in hanging on to old systems when you can emulate them all on one device.
>>
Obviously I can't see into the future so I don't know if I'll always have the means to but as long as I do I have no intention of getting rid of most of it. There's maybe a game or two I wouldn't mind getting rid of but most of it I'd like to keep.
>>
File: dogs.jpg (44KB, 620x350px) Image search: [Google]
dogs.jpg
44KB, 620x350px
>>4141590
I keep all my stuff until it breaks.
>>
>>4141649

Pretty much this.

Starting to feel that way about my EarthBound cart at this point.
>>
>>4141961
I keep mine past that and use it for a parts console
>>
>>4141590
I'll probably sell some stuff eventually but I'm in no rush.

>>4141658
Collectorfags will pay good money for software and there are replacements for many consoles. It's still not a bad idea to hoard consoles though. If you only have one and it goes bad and you're forced to replace it at current/future ebay prices that sucks. If you end up with more spares than you'll ever need you can sell them at a nice profit.
>>
>>4141631

I think it will, but it will take a long time. It's a generational thing - it really depends on if this generation's kids decide to go after the same stuff. I don't think they will look for games like Earthbound down the line, because there is no emotional attachment. Undertale may be comparable their nostalgic item. Maybe.

I think it is worth looking at other collectible hobbies for comparison, such as baseball cards. Value has remained stagnant or going down there because kids are doing other things such as playing video games instead. Video games are popular now, but what will be the next hobby kids get attached to?
>>
>>4142014
I'm keeping my fat PS3 waiting for a solution for the console turning off on its own.
Reballing didn't work and I'm scared of paying another 80€ for nothing.
>>
>>4141590
>will you hang on to your stuff indefinitely

Yes, but not because of the value. Due to various extraordinary circumstances I lost most of my games and systems almost a decade ago but even before that, I had no intention of selling any of it despite the amount of money I might have gotten from it.

I am still working on reacquiring replacements for what I used to own. For me the games I owned (own) have never been a "financial" investment, they have always been for my personal enjoyment, and there is no way I can put a price on that.
>>
>>4141732
Hey, at least it was you willingly parting with your stuff.

mine got "lost", when i got my N64 i put all my Nes and Snes stuff in a box in my closet, and some months after i decided to play some Street Fighter Turbo and noticed some of my games were not there, i thought it was weird but didnt give a fuck sicne i thought maybe my brother or one of my uncles took them.

Over the next months ALL of my games went missing, including Megaman 1 through 4, both Zeldas, CAstlevania 1 and 3, Zelda LTTP, SF Turbo, Super SF, TMNT Fighter, Mario World, Yoshis Island, Super Metroid, Castlevania... all gone never to be sen again.

I was around 11 at the time, and years later i realized it was the fucking maid, i remember one time i came early from school and when i entered my room she was looking through my stuff in the closet, she put a nervous laugh and said she was cleaning, i didnt put any thought into it cause i was a child, but now i realize wha happened.

Anyways, from that stuff that got stolen now im only missing 3 games and im not selling anything, i will keep it for my kid as a treasure and if he wants to sell it and buy a house in 2050 so be it.
>>
>>4142136
This
>>
>>4142145
Even now I'm still torn up that my original NES that I had for for 14 years. A Christmas present from my aunts, was destroyed.
>>
>>4142150
RIP. I know someone who lost theirs when their basement flooded.
>>
>>4142161
In my case it was a fire and a theft.
>>
I don't know, I'm with >>4141649 in that I've already vacated much of my game library for the sake of space/convenience, and am slowly buying flashcarts as they become desirable. I'm also buying up Wiis because they are just kickass emulation devices, and comp cables are easy to get.

Though the things you need the most of IMO are anything that was built shitty in the first place. I have several PS2s and DS Lites for that reason.
>>
>>4142138
Wow fuck that maid
>>
>>4141590
I'd only sell duplicates or stuff that sucks.
>>
I'll likely hang onto all my stuff, barring some financial assfucklery demanding I do some fund raising.
>>
I'm all about cashing out. Speaking of which I just found out I own one of the most expensive snes carts. Is ebay how these things are done these days?
>>
>>4142036
I don't know about that. The largest chunk of people I see at flea markets and yard sales are kids trying to buy up Nintendo games. Most are resellers that need to use their phone to make sure how much to undercut, but there are a number of them that are legitimately collecting these old games from before they were born.
>>
I sold all my non-portables recently (including a bonkers 90s collection with Earthbound, Terranigma, Panzer Dragoon Saga, etc) and have no regrets. Emulation is incredibly advanced for pre-N64 systems. I kept a few controllers that I could get USB adapters for and it is 99% the same experience.

If you're an investor, hold on to all your pre-disc systems until you reach the point where the cohort that was <18 at peak popularity for that system reaches retirement age. We have a long, long way to go before we hit peak SNES. A working Super Nintendo with clean plastics and new caps will go for (inflation adjusted) a thousand dollars in 2050. Earthbound will go for the price of a used Honda sedan.
>>
>>4142138
That'll teach you to hire a wetback maid with a gamer son.
>>
>>4142240

Yeah I'm seeing some of that today - definitely with Nintendo stuff because it has wide popular appeal and is easy to remember (i.e. anything Pokemon or Zelda related), and with how easy it is to look up average prices now through places like pricecharting. But whether that continues after the next big thing after retro Youtubers such as AVGN I don't know.

I mean it may all remain the same as today or get worse. If the new generation continues to care about old games then it will get worse but if they don't then it won't. Just my opinion, we will have to see.
>>
>>4141590
I'll sell the games when they don't spark joy in me anymore/
>>
Stopped buying games like 2 years ago. I'll buy games when I work through what I've got, but I'll almost always do an ebay rental at this point.

I'll sell some big ticket games I have to get flashcarts for my systems. There's no reason to own legit carts of things like Chrono Trigger, it's just not necessary.
>>
My collecting habits have slowed down in the past few years now having to support myself. I procured a lot of shit from the Famicom, Nintendo 64, and Gamecube, and a decent collection of NES and SNES games.

I don't think I'll ever sell the bulk of what I've collected. I may one day cash out, but not anytime soon. Too attached.
>>
>>4142138
>a maid
Fuck you, rich boy.
>>
>>4142234
Which cart might that be? Hagane? Some competition cartridge like DKC?
>>
>>4141590
I bought my video games to play them i likely won't sell them off and will either use my parents or my siblings to store them when i need to travel light in the future (bouncing around from town to town).

When my games get sold it probably will be my fucking brother selling them off after i die,
>>
>>4141590
Bury me with my vidya
>>
>>4141590
Might cash out soon i think i need a change
>>
My collection has stalled at around 225 games across every system, as I've found it hard to keep collecting for systems older than 5th gen due to rising prices and taking on more expenses. Meanwhile I can't really ever find the time to really devote myself to a game anymore so many of the PS2 RPGs I was after are on the back burner.
But at the same time, I don't think I'll ever sell my vidya, not unless the values really skyrocket into two week's pay for a single item. I still love sitting back and playing when I do get the chance.
>>
I've already paired down my collection to only the best of each system and my personal favs. Also, I have new mint in box NES and SNES that I'm keeping as backups for when my main units die.

I just don't see having a spiraling collection anymore. Moving out and having to worry about apartment space really puts a damper on the collection bug.

Not really planning on cashing out at any point. When I die, I'll leave any retro stuff to family or make sure an estate sale is set up. All so that it goes to people who would treasure it.
>>
>>4144272
>I have new mint in box NES and SNES

Either you're lying or you have a small jackpot here.

That's a good wad of cash with the way the market is right now.
>>
I've gotten rid of everything up to the N64 and PS1 eras.

Emulation is basically 100% for everything prior. I didn't see the point of keep the carts, especially the ones I new were going to have battery save problems.

Once N64 emulation get the last few major bugs worked out, I'll probably move on that one as well.
>>
>>4141732
Same.
I got $60 for my entire NES/SNES collection, I sold them at the lowest point of their value when I thought I had outgrown them and wanted some money to go party with. One of my biggest regrets.
>>
>>4141590
I cashed out on the stuff I don't revisit very often. I only kept the stuff i absolutely loved or things i like having just for the sake of having it in my collection (all of the numbered dragon warrior/quest games in Japanese and English for example).

This was a fun hobby when i had time to go out to flea markets, garage sales, and the like, but I'm so busy these days i hardly have time to play these games, let alone go out hunting new ones.
>>
>>4142138
>maid
you from qatar or some shit
>>
>>4141590
>will you hang on to your stuff indefinitely now that these things are getting really unobtainable due to price/scarcity, or will you eventually cash out?

I'm frugal about gaming, so I don't think "cashing out" really applies to my situation. Most of the games I've purchased have been consistently affordable for decades, and a lot of them are imports that few parties would be interested in. I also use Flash carts, emulation and backup discs, at least when real games / hardware become unaffordable. So my collection is a weird mash up of real games (often imports) and real hardware, and tons of pirated and emulated shit.

Will I hold on to this stuff forever? I'll certainly keep games I never get tired of. But I do find myself occasionally giving things away to friends and family when they have an interest in them. I don't do eBay. I'm not going to be one of "those guys" who buys up cheap games and tries to scalp everybody else. That's not my deal.
>>
>>4141590
within 5 years this bubble will burst and hipsters will all be trying to unload their shelves full of dust collectors. the market will be flooded. earthbound will be back down to $60. games that are actually rare will hold their value, but most others will fall back to cheap.
>>
>>4144280
Of course he's lying
>that I'm keeping as backups for when my main units die
He's going to wait several years until his mint shit is really really expensive and then crack it open. Totally sounds legit.
>>
>>4144645
When was Earthbound last averaging $60?
>>
>>4144926
When it first came out? I vaguely remember paying around that, forever ago.
>>
i'm never gonna sell this big pile of shit that i've been hanging on to since i was a kid, my buying of games has slowed to a trickle as of late and abot the only thing i buy now is original game boys and game boy carts and im looking at getting into super famicom stuff. I'm just gonna ride out the bubble until there's a crash or a market correction and swoop in and hog up all the deals until i have a rediculous pile of hoarded up crapola lmao
>>
>>4144645
You just implied that collections won't/haven't been destroyed by fire/water/damage. Every year plenty of collections are destroyed and even more small collections are tossed out or similar when a collector dies. Creating the small amount of certain titles to be smaller.

We are nowhere near a "bubble". A bubble means titles like Earthbound wouldn't have a constant stream of sales on ebay. When those constant sales end, and we truthfully can post a game for any value we want, then the scum will start to try and oversell by hundreds. The regular joes will think their games are worth that much and try and under sell the scum for a quick dollar, then those copies will be bough by other ignorant people creating a huge price gap of what they were worth or anyone would reasonably pay. That is where the bubble happens and nothing even close to that has happened.
>>
>>4146884
I don't see where he implied that. However you just implied that within 5 years enough will be destroyed to make a difference in the market. And you outright claimed that in a bubble there wouldn't be a lot of market activity which is pretty much the opposite of what happens in a bubble. Sounds like you might be retarded.
>>
>>4141590
I'm slowly cashing out to make space in my flat but I chose from who to sell (friends, actual retroplayers...) and I keep the prices down. I'm keeping some vital good stuff though
>>
>>4141961
I throw mine out before I even open the box
>>
>>4141936
lol speak for yourself poorfag,id rather play a real neo geo AES on a CRT than a emulator like a pleb
>>
>>4141590
I've already sold off the majority my collection but still have my Genesis + NES. Someday I'll trim those down but I don't ever plan on selling them off completely.
>>
>>4141620
Exactly this.

If prices get close to 3x what they are now, I'll sell my stuff and pay off the house.
>>
>>4141590

I'm planning on moving across the country next year, so I'm about to downsize my collection.

Decided I'm going to sell all the systems and games that I don't have any sentimental attachment to. It's been a fun ride, but I desperately need to downsize and having two closets, and several shelving units full of boxed consoles and games is just too much.

Going to be keeping my NES, SNES, and most of the games; selling games I didn't have or didn't rent more than once (and wish I had) as a kid.
>>
>>4146884
>>4147126
in any event, earthbound is not a rare game. there is artificial scarcity because reseller scum horde multiple copies and pump it up on their instagram and youtube accounts. once the fad passes and retro gaming isn't "cool" anymore, they're going to get tired of sitting on this stuff and unload it, as will the hipsters that are overpaying to get it now.
>>
I tried to sell a master system with a library of solid games (all wonderboys, shinobi, ninja gaiden, alex kidd, alex kidd in shinobi world, ys, phantasy star, ghouls and ghosts) and nobody ever showed a lick of interest and the ones who did were the scalper fags who only wanted to buy the rare games and leave me with scraps.
>>
>>4150692
Only thing that works it's patience.
>>
>>4150670
>artificial scarcity
Spotted the assmad bandwagoner. Keep dreaming kiddo
>>
I am slowly selling off the vast majority of my games and buying flashcarts for each system. Only keeping games with enhancement chips/other things not emulated by any flashcart, e.g. SNES SuperFX and SA1 chips, and Virtua Racing on Genesis for it's SVP chip.
>>
>>4150670
Earthbound has been expensive for a long time, almost a decade, because it's the biggest cult classic on the SNES. Not everything is a reseller conspiracy.
>>
>>4151118
that is fucking bullshit, when people buy multiple copies to sit on them it drives up the price and creates more demand because there are less copies out there. Eventually everyone who wants a copy has a copy and retarded assholes are sitting on a 300 dollar cart that nobody wants.
>>
>>4141590
Even if my stuff gets unobtainable I will always hold onto it. Sentimental value trumps all.
>>
>>4150692
Just let it sit on ebay, someone will eventually buy it.

It's what I do with games I am not interested in anymore. I leave it on ebay and keep relisting, it takes a few weeks sometimes but someone will buy it if its fairly priced.
>>
>>4151118
Longer, I remember earthbound and chrono trigger both going for between 100-150 on ebay in 2000.
>>
>>4141590
Indefinitely. Never sold a game, never will.
>>
>>4151118
I bought my copy for $20 in 1999, but let me tell you it was a little difficult to find a decent deal on it even then.
>>
File: vgpc contra.png (5KB, 344x247px) Image search: [Google]
vgpc contra.png
5KB, 344x247px
>>4141631
NES stuff has already peaked. For example, Contra hit its high at $48 loose last June and it's currently at $27 and falling.
>>
File: 1341678847789.png (89KB, 368x289px) Image search: [Google]
1341678847789.png
89KB, 368x289px
>>4153269
>mfw waiting for the Shining Force 1/2/3 and Panzer Dragoon Saga bubbles to burst
>>
>>4153270
Stop spamming your shitty youtube video, you piece of shit, we know what you've been up to.
>>
The good GBA games are so expensive and half the time they're fake.

FUCK CHINA. Seriously.
>>
File: old.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
old.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
when space / money becomes an issue, I'll sell what Im not attached to, just games but never my consoles. I'll buy flashcarts if I ever sell games I'd want to play again.
>>
>>4153291
>not just getting all the shit from china anyways
>>
>>4153324
If you say it's a repo and charge 5 dollars, that's fine. But they sell rarer games that cost 50 dollars but sell fakes... They are scam artists and should die.
>>
>>4153279
Panzer Dragoon Saga "bubble" will never burst, sorry bro. Donate to emu devs.
>>
File: IMG_1022.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1022.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>4153319
>All those different shelves.
Anon....
>>
>>4153651
do you live in China or Australia? XD
>>
I own my stuff for my own enjoyment, so why would I "cash out"?
>>
>>4153851
Money is enjoyable.
>>
>>4141590
I'm a console + flashcart/burned game fag. If I ever cash out, it sure as shit wouldn't be for the money, probably just to clean out the clutter in my gaymen room. Don't plan on doing that anytime soon though
>>
>>4144286
Right there with you. 40ish games across the snes and game boy, with several of the more valuable carts and 3 systems (I had a gb pocket and a gray brick). Easily 4 figures in today's reselling prices, sold it all to a game store for store credit and got like 3 or 4 PlayStation 1 games out of the deal

Had a friend give me a snes about 5 years later and started collecting when I went to college. Bought some moderately valuable stuff I never owned a physical copy of, like Chrono trigger, ff6, yoshis island and a few others. Got really high and drunk one day, and my friends and k wanted to get smash bros brawl really bad but didn't have the money so I sold the system and all the games and still came up $10 short so we has to scrounge. That's another $500-$600 value that I got about $50 out of. Or maybe even $40, I forget how much wii games costed new
>>
File: 12312313.jpg (27KB, 271x210px) Image search: [Google]
12312313.jpg
27KB, 271x210px
>>4141590 (OP)
I will take my remaining megadrive & neogeo stuff with me into the afterlife. Already regretting having sold US MUSHA twice :(
>>
Already have sold off a large amount of my collection. Down to a PS3 and PS4 now. Almost all digital games except for a few disc PS3 games.

I got rid of my SNES and NES because all the games I really played have been ported well to other systems. Saw no reason to keep them when they can go to someone who would appreciate it more.

Hell my PS3 is basically a PS1 with all the PS1 Classics I have on it.

A lot of it has to do with how many games you get per generation. I was always a player who favored quality over quantity so I kept relatively small collections for each system.

Also I'm 32 now so space is a factor when I have to consider the future with the wife and possible children. Especially since I live in a big metro area where space is at a premium.
>>
File: vjfoy2oy533z.jpg (1MB, 6000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
vjfoy2oy533z.jpg
1MB, 6000x4000px
>>4141590
I cashed out 2 years ago and made about £8k on ebay.

That was just from stuff I acquired from like 8 to 24 years old. I think a lot of you will be shocked at how much your stuff is worth.

SNES Loose Unfaded 2 Controllers £100
Link to the Past Boxed £60
Super Mario World Boxed £50
Harvest Moon SNES Loose £100
Super Metroid Loose £30
Super Mario Kart Booxed £30
Mario Paint Boxed £40
Secret of Mana Boxed £100

That's over £500 right there and I had a bunch of other expensive shit, 100 extra carts including several duplicates. Add to this the 15+ other consoles and all the games and things I had.

I used the money towards my house deposit. I invested £100 of it on a beanbag and xbone controller. Now I emulate everything. I get 80% of the thrill of owning/finding games by watching youtube videos.
>>
>>4153651
in all seriousness the fact that this is upside down is giving me vertigo
>>
>>4153279
Panzer Dragoon will never become cheap brah, there's only so many in existance and it's much lower than usual (around 10,000?) just buy it already.
>>
File: kanameme.jpg (33KB, 696x675px) Image search: [Google]
kanameme.jpg
33KB, 696x675px
>>4154736
I am near this phase too I am afraid, but I will hold for a little bit longer
>>
>>4154736
FoMT on a micro is about the densest representation of happiness I can think of
>>
>>4154860
Enjoy it for a few years then move on with your life.
>>4154887
100% agree. Actually playing "More Friends of Mineral Town" before bed right now to see if there's any gameplay differences.
>>
>>4141590
I like Game Boys. Modded, but hey, I still prefer playing on the hardware to emulation.

I cashed out on games. Now I just keep a flash cart, with only a handful of real copies - Tetris, a repro of Cave Noire with the (honestly unnecessary) English translation patch, and stuff that has weird hardware on the carts. Like the Game Boy Camera, which is a surprisingly cool thing.

Keep meaning to buy a Game Boy Printer, and one of these days I'll do a backlight screen mod on a Color. I don't like playing GBC games on a GBA, it just feels wrong.
>>
I'll sell when I'm burned out or if I need cash for an emergency
>>
>>4142108
Slims are cheap as fuck used and by far the most reliable.
Thread posts: 98
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.