[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>The Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) port was developed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

File: mortal-kombat-ii-world.jpg (57KB, 350x484px) Image search: [Google]
mortal-kombat-ii-world.jpg
57KB, 350x484px
>The Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) port was developed by Sculptured Software. This particular port has a secret intro (in which a scene between Shao Kahn and Kintaro will take place during the Acclaim logo) and a hidden special team mode. Also in this port is the use of the Super Nintendo's Mode 7, a graphics mode that allows the scaling and rotation of a single background on a scanline-by-scanline basis, during the overhead fall on the Pit II's Stage Fatality. However, the game plays with some slowdown and the sprites look like they have been painted rather than photographed due to the image distortion resulted from the downscaling required to match the console's 256x224 display resolution. The SNES has a larger color palette than most other ports of the game and the music is more downbeat and faded in contrast to the Genesis/Mega Drive's upbeat version. John Tobias favored this version over the Genesis version, and added that "I would go so far as to say that the Super NES version is one of the best arcade-to-home conversions I've seen."

>"I would go so far as to say that the Super NES version is one of the best arcade-to-home conversions I've seen."

Nintendoes what Genedon't.
>>
MK1 on the Genesis is like a high school jock, shitting on the nerdy MK1 on the SNES

MK2 on the Genesis is like that same high school jock now as a middle aged, fat and balding grocery store clerk, while MK2 on the SNES is now a rich alpha.
>>
>"I would go so far as to say that the Super NES version is one of the best arcade-to-home conversions I've seen."
It doesn't matter much of the source game is shit
>>
>>4139542
But we're talking about MK2, not 3
>>
>>4139542
if*
>>
>>4139543
anything by midway belongs in the trash pham
>>
>>4139553
Especially Primal Rage
>>
>>4139531
How was this one of the best arcade to home conversions if the same paragraph said sprites were crushed?
>>
>>4139572
They always had to crush sprites for the SNES and Genesis versions - it's just insanely close despite that
>>
>>4139670
I never understood why you can't just keep sprites intact and just reduce the playing field and make it scroll when needed to? Shmups do this when not doing tate.
>>
>>4139542
II is OK.
>>
>>4139678
The backgrounds are not the issue, it's the sprites themselves. There's a reason why most SNES beat-'em-ups only have three enemies on-screen.
>>
>>4139531
Who cares, it is still garbage

Assuming you are right:

Arcade>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SNES>Genesis

If after playing the arcade you touch the ports you are mentally handicaped
>>
>>4139803
>can't enjoy them at the arcade for the definitive "the way the developers intended" experience and have a copy at home for casual and social ventures
>can't enjoy home console and handheld versions of the same game for different situations
Might as well drop your hobby. I'll play Outrun at the arcade, at home, and handheld if I want to fucko.
>>
>>4139803
Arcade versions of games are a lot harder because they're after your quarters. Home versions usually tend to tone it down. That alone makes home ports of fighting games better. MK especially since the AI is pretty brutal.
>>
>>4139965
Fighting games as a whole aren't that hard even on arcades, MK has retarded AI mostly because it's a midway game
>>
You can see just how boned the Sega version was here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=litzOf8YH8E
>>
I don't know why anyone should care about the home ports anymore when the arcade versions have been perfectly serviceable in mame for years.
>>
>>4140148

It's an oldfag thing, you wouldn't understand.
>>
>>4140093
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAW0atH0K1o

Detailed breakdown here
>>
>>4140628
Pay for your ads. and god that vid is so cringy
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-dJcfSOAX8

Don't mind me, just posting awesome music
>>
>>4139834
>I'll pretend it is the 90s xD

Wow you went full retard there. Guess what buddy, for almost 20 years I have been able to play the arcade version on MAME and that emulated experience beats having the original on SNES by miles, I'm telling you as someone who had the SNES version and what a relief it was to know I could play the superior version in my PC.

Sure, I can play it for fun with friends, that doesn't mean it isn't completely awful.

>>4139965
This is the biggest bullshit I have ever read.

First difficulty was adjustable, so if it is too hard for your ass just drop it down a notch, for fuck's sake.

If the console version was easier in general it was to make it more accessible to the kids that were not so experienced and wanted some fun, but again MK II in easy mode in the arcade was piss easy, any retard could beat that.

Playing the inferior port of any game nowadays makes no sense whatsoever having MAME, same happens with other tittles like Ghost n Goblins and Wonder Boy, the ports are so poor in comparison that I just can't touch them anymore.
>>
>>4140148
MAME is a pain in the ass to get working, and on my old machine that emus everything else it just flat out won't work at all.
>>
>>4140827
Specs m8? How old
>>
>>4140829
WinXP, got it in 2003 I think. Every time I start MAME it just comes up with a black screen. I used to be able to run it but somewhere along the line it stopped, I guess the newer version couldn't work on XP or something, I don't know.
>>
>>4140827
>>4140837
FBA should work under minimal settings at least.
>>
>>4140837
AFAIK newer versions have been hit or miss, sped and compatibility depend on the game and what works on one version now isn't guaranteed anymore to work on another

but I remember playing MAME on my decent WinXp back in 2004-2005, I dont think this bs would be happening back happen but I never played MK on it so I can't say for 100% sure

it's just these devs, theyve changed their philosophy recently...
>>
>>4140827
I'm sorry you are too illiterate, that isn't my fault.

Just have to unzip it, put the fucking rom in the right folder and TADA

What could you not set up? The controls?

I remember using MAME32 since ever, how difficult can it be omfg.

>>4140837
I used it with a Pentium 166 MMX with Windows 98 at first, then in my several other computers until today, I don't see the issue.
>>
Weren't all 3 arcade ports put on the PS3 and Xbox 360? And run 100%?
>>
>>4140850
Yes, and on Steam as well.
>>
>>4140850
they're not 100% accurate
>>
>>4140851
Well just checked Steam and they pulled it out.

I prefer MAME anyway, the Steam version is a pain in the ass.
>>
>>4140850
>And run 100%
Nope
>>
File: 2a1.gif (22KB, 207x145px) Image search: [Google]
2a1.gif
22KB, 207x145px
>>4139531
>the Super NES version is one of the best arcade-to-home conversions I've seen.
>one of the best
>one

It was no shock that SNES MK2 was better than Genesis MK2. The shock was that MK1 SNES had sucked so much.

None of that matters now though because both are down ports. In 2017 there's no reason not to play an arcade version.
>>
>>4140845
Yes, I USED to be able to do that but then I updated and now I just get a black screen and have to ctrl-alt-del my way out of it. Even 10 years ago I had issues where some games worked and others didn't. Which reinforces what I originally said, MAME is a pain in the ass to use compared to any other emu that requires virtually no setup and works with 99.9% of games without incident.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.