[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come only Bloodlines was the 16-bit Castlevania game to get

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: arc.png (6KB, 500x283px) Image search: [Google]
arc.png
6KB, 500x283px
How come only Bloodlines was the 16-bit Castlevania game to get the jumping physics down correctly like the NES games?

Being able to change direction during your jump cycle was a mistake.
>>
Wrong, Bloodlines isn't exactly like the NES games, it lets you change the direction you're facing while in mid-air. You can't change the trajectory of your jump, but you can hit enemies that come from behind, unlike the NES games.
>>
>>4139170
Way to be intentionally obtuse.
>>
>>4139096
La Mulana probably has it right desu
>>
>>4139184
Does that game make you commit to your jumps?
>>
>>4139176
Sorry if I come off as an anal nerd, but it's not exactly like the NES games. It also has other significant changes like being able to jump into stairs, and the land detection is way more forgiving than on the NES games (in many cases, you can jump on platforms above you, meaning you don't need to calculate your jumps from an angle).
Plus, I don't think being able to change direction during jump cycle is a mistake, it also allows for the developers to make more interesting level design. As "free" as the jump on Rondo of Blood or IV is, it's still rigid.
SOTN is when the jumps got completely changed, making Alucard's weight really light, giving you plenty of time to change direction, much smoother moves than Classicvanias, Richter's controls on SOTN are also very different than on Rondo. But SOTN is a completely different kind of game, it's not a pure action-platformer, so it works.
>>
>>4139096
Honestly, that didn't matter to me at all.
>>
>>4139190
When jumping in an arc, you can slow your horizonal momentum by pressing back in the opposite direction. You can't stop or reverse your arc though.

So... it's not like the classic Castlevania where your jump arc is totally rigid, but it's also not like the metroidvanias where you have full air control. I think it's a pretty nice balance, honestly, and it ends up feeling more like a "metroidvania" than the actual metroidvanias.
>>
>an igavania with equipment that lets you pick and choose mechanics from different interpretations of CV gameplay, with drawbacks and advantages for each to create "player builds"
>floatjumps with less powerful air attacks or stiffjumps with strong attacks for instance
>>
>>4139096
Rondo of blood
>>
>>4141195
probably decently inspired by the MSX Castlevania, even if that game had NES CV style jumping.
>>
>>4144868
You can change direction on Rondo.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.