[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any ongoing projects that aim to preserve the original

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

Are there any ongoing projects that aim to preserve the original consoles, controllers and cartridges shells accurately, and then making them available as downloadable 3D files (that could later be produced/3D printed)?

People often talk about preservation of software through accurate hardware emulation, but I've never seem any serious move towards preserving the physical hardware itself.
>>
You can make fairly accurate 3D scans with just a Kinect which is basically worthless, I have like three I got for $5. Presumably there are already 3D scans of almost anything with a nerd enthusiast following. If you're motivated enough to not just presume, make some yourself. Even if they're shitty, if there are enough of them out there they should be able to be composited into acceptably accurate models far before all examples vanish.

At this point, it's probably much more important to make models of rare and brilliant analog devices and machines.
>>
>>4139041
Just preserve ROM copies and documentation, everything else is futile.
>>
>>4139041
I remember introducing the idea of 3D printed cart shells here and got sperged the fuck out saying it made no sense.

I still plan on doing it as a personal project. I'm also looking into custom boxes.
>>
>>4141103
Preserve illegal roms in a area where they're being taken down.

Plus net neutrality probably is ending soon.

7 billions years from now, nothing from earth or even earth will exist anymore.
>>
>>4141165
Why bother caring about anything when the inevitable heat death of the universe is coming in billions of years?
>>
>>4141181
True.

Life's just fun then die.
>>
>>4141165
>7 billions years from now
>tfw our contributions to rom piracy will let provectus homo sapiens (MK.VI) play few of the first video games when sending Uranium dildo shipments to inhabited gas planets (sic!).

Anything inbetween retro and today (no matter which year) will be forgotten, retro games will be forever remembered. When humanity is forced to flee Earth (assuming terraforming is not a thing by then), due to inhospitable conditions, then I can assure you that there will be millions of rom users who will take their assets to the next Earthlike.
>>
>>4141196
Terraforming will never happen. If the whole universe dies and is the only one . Then we are doomed.

Lot of old things are already destroyed, gone, broken, modified. We already driving our own large animals to extinction.

Another possible thing is humanity dies never leaving earth which is the most likely answer.

By 2099 we are probably still wearing shirts and no fixing cars I bet. Humans would only advance under a technocracy.

There's no point of human life but waiting for it all to be destroyed anyway.

Roms also need ctrs and carts to be played the true way.
>>
File: lpshen_11_07[1].jpg (48KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
lpshen_11_07[1].jpg
48KB, 640x480px
>>4141196
In 7 billion years, our lives will be the retro games and our retro games will be minigames.
>>
>>4141214

hahahaha, stop being depressed, kid.
Is there no sun from where you're from?
>>
>>4141126
>i was a dozen kids a few summers ago and was sperging about 3d printing everything
lol. It's still not cost effective to 3d print something the size of a SNES cart when original parts you can make a mold from are common. Console shells even more so.
>>
>>4141750
Injection molding is much more expensive than 3D printing unless you want to make them out of porcelain or something... Which actually sounds kind of neat now that I say it. The real competition is the literal shovels full of shovelware available as doner cases. Don't tell the muh preservation of everything fags
>>
>>4141750
Actually a business major who has been into 3D printing since 2008.

Talk to me when you know what the fuck you're talking about big man.
>>
>>4141750
>>4141978
Also I'm dying laughing at you, being the same sperg.
>>
>>4141775
Who said anything about injection molding? But since you brought it up it's much cheaper than 3d printing in large runs.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.