[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Speculation thread: What is the likely hood of classic GB ga

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: GBC-616x411.jpg (1MB, 616x411px) Image search: [Google]
GBC-616x411.jpg
1MB, 616x411px
Speculation thread: What is the likely hood of classic GB games being "colorized" by the community in the future? I dont know anything about GB programming so Is it just more trouble than its worth?

Found this thread and it got me wondering

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=23411.0
>>
It's very much in the realm of possibility. There's a hack for first gen pokemon games that fully colorizes them a la GSC.

That said, getting a colorization hack running would require decompiling the code and modifying it to write to the GBC's palette data, as well as loading the corresponding palette assignment data for each background tile and sprite. It's not impossible, but it's very advanced as far as romhacking goes.
>>
I'd prefer not to mess with original Artistic intent like that. Incidentally, why don't you just play on an SGB?
>>
Someone is making a colour version of SML2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqH13Nh61Uo
>>
>>4136386
Because Personally I want a few games colorized ala Zelda DS and the GBC palette doesn't do them justice
>>
>>4136425
>Zelda DS
Huh? Surely you mean Minish Cap.
>>
>>4136419
thats good to see
>>
>>4136341
Also I think these projects take more effort than one might initially think, both artistically and technical skills.
>>
>>4136429
>DX
>>
>>4136432
Makes sense. You gotta go through the WHOLE GAME and appropriately colorize everything. I can think of at least 30 games that would look phenomenal colorized like
>>4136419
>>
pretty sure there is a colorized version of super mario land out there on the internet. Ive played it before
>>
I'm the one making Super Mario Land 2 DX and For the Frog the Bell Tolls DX.

Colorizing a GB game is not an easy feat (at least it isn't for me, it may be easier for someone more experienced), as there are a lot of things to consider and to implement if you want it to look as a proper GBC game.

That being said, it's kind of weird there aren't more projects like these, as the result can be really rewarding (see Metroid II DX, for example).

I'm documenting SML2DX the best I can and open sourcing it, so I hope it helps someone to make another colorization project. It's actually really easy to get to the point in which you see some colors, so I'll probably make a guide for the first steps, which is probably enough to motivate people to start a full fledged project.

BTW, the posted video is a bit old, this is the last one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F08sXVjc-2M
>>
>>4136608
Wow, It looks very nice.
>>
>>4136419
That's cool. Maybe it is just nostalgia, but I still like playing GB games on the original GB. They just look more correct to me that way.

>>4136608
Yeah, for some games you'd have a good amount of easy color reference, but others might require a bit of creativity and understanding of color to complete.
>>
>what is a super gameboy
>>
>>4136608
amazing work
>>
>>4136639
>what is not all games support dynamic pallets
>>
>>4136608

What's the basic process you do for this?

Are you literally colouring in each frame or pixel of the game, or is it more just like making a texture and copying it throughout the level?
>>
>>4136608
>Frog the Bell Tolls DX.
That sounds amazing!
>>
>>4136386
>original Artistic intent
developers didn't decide to make their game boy games in 4 shades of green, they would have made them in color if the GB had a color screen

stop being retarded
>>
>>4136341
You can use the Gameboy colorizer
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/30
>>
File: 1262937162409.png (304KB, 990x657px) Image search: [Google]
1262937162409.png
304KB, 990x657px
>>4136737
neat!
>>
>>4136715
That would be fair enough if it were the original developers colorizing the games themselves, but who's to say a random basement nerd's opinion on the color palette of a certain enemy is the same as the original dev's intentions?
>>
>>4136608
Gracias, ojalá los puedas terminar ambos
>>
File: gb_kirbys_dream_land_p_q2460i.jpg (74KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
gb_kirbys_dream_land_p_q2460i.jpg
74KB, 640x640px
>>4136956
Reference the manual? Boxart? Official artwork? Sequels?

It's not like color errors never happened before.
>>
>>4136956
lets colorize as many games as possible just to spite this guy
>>
>>4136608
Thank you anon for undertaking such a niche project.I wish you luck and for the best!
>>
>>4136956
It's not like somebody is gonna come into your house, grab your shitty Mario Land cart and replace it with the colorized version, you can ignore the "basement nerd's" hack.
>>
>>4136956
Yeah, it’s absolutely impossible to determine what the color of a fucking Goomba is.
>>
I want to play colorized trip world
>>
>>4136608
I never played a GB platformer but I'd love to try this

Thanks Ivan
>>
I'd love a colorized Mega Man V
>>
>>4138681
>trip world
Gargoyles quest !
>>
>>4136608

Looks great, keep it up.
>>
>>4138657
/vr/ can even agree on what color the fucking sky is.
>>
>>4138807
kek
>>
>>4138807
then they can go colorize dem games themselves
>>
>>4136715
Sure but wouldn't most if not all filmmakers have shot in color if given the choice? Yes, it was and remains a stylistic thing after the widespread adoption of color but people still shit all over Ted Turner when he colorized Miracle on 34th Street.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.