[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Final Fantasy II is a pleb filter and easily within the top 4

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 10

File: image.jpg (157KB, 640x433px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
157KB, 640x433px
Final Fantasy II is a pleb filter and easily within the top 4 games of the series.
>>
i played gba version and thought it was alright. i like it more than 1 and maybe as much as 3. the final dungeon in 3 was just garbage but 2 seemed consistent throughout
>>
>>4135173
I guess it's better than the first game, but that's it. To be fair, I haven't played 3 yet, so I dunno how good/bad it is.
>>
I like it. But top 4 is quite the exaggeration. Those dungeon layouts are woeful. Constant doors to nowhere are just not interesting.
>>
Although FFII is by far the most interesting and innovative of the 8-bit Final Fantasy games and had the most potential had it been polished, at least the original Famicon version and the Origins version are fucked up enough that they would be worthy of an AVGN episode.

>>4135734
>Those dungeon layouts are woeful. Constant doors to nowhere are just not interesting.

Exactly, and combine this with the unusually high frequency random encounters.

Then the very innovative for its time way to increase your attributes had to been ruined by mind-bafflingly retarded aspects like attacking making your character dumber etc.
>>
The Emperor is a great final boss, one of my favorite characters in the series
>>
>>4135173
I liked II but I was more in favor of the battle system in it. Having to level your skills/magic, not so much your characters was a fantastic thing to me.
>>
It's a great game for one with a BDSM fetish
>>
>>4135173

I marathoned FF I, II , III ,IV

GOTTA SAY 2 and 4 were my favs
>>
>>4135173
Yeah I just got the easy version hack.
>>
>>4135173
I like it, definitely one of the better rpgs for the nes
>>
File: I could be your Emprah tonight.jpg (163KB, 706x1000px) Image search: [Google]
I could be your Emprah tonight.jpg
163KB, 706x1000px
>>4135173
It is a pleb filter, but at the same time it's pretty redundant since the SaGa series is a thing and you can play that if you like what FFII brought to the table.
Still, most people underestimate the huge impact FFII had on the genre and the industry, it's pretty sad, it's one of the cornerstones of FF, if not the most important game since it established most of the trademark monsters, character tropes, narrative structure and pretty much everything but Airships really.
If you think about all of the recurrent FF elements, FFII is the one that started the vast majority of them.
Just to make a quick list
>Chocobos
>Cid
>Love dynamic
>Brunette main love interest
>Bro character
>Character working for the big bad ends up joining you
>Sassy outlaw girl/love rival
>The Dragoons
>Rebels VS technologically advanced Evil Empireā„¢
>Evil Emperor
>Magician main antagonist
>Introduced most of the classic monsters like Bombs, Behemoths, Adamantoise etc.
>Ultima Spell
>Leviathan
>Temporary party members sacrifices
Not to mention that a lot of the narrative tropes became pretty much the standards for most of the japanese RPGs after it, and I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting quite a few things.

If there's one thing I always found fun is how FFII has an evil empire with a power obsessed emperor whereas all SaGa games that have an empire have it as a force of good, with the emperors being basically saints compared to David Bowie's antics.
And the Emperor himself is /fit/ as fuck for a magician.
>>
>>4138610
>SaGa series is a thing and you can play that if you like what FFII brought to the table.
honestly none of the SaGa games really work like FF2
the idea of improving during combat is there, but your stats are tied to what weapons you use instead of actions like in FF2
>>
It had good IDEAS, but i'm not really sure how any of the things that make it stand out from other FFs are actually better solutions to the problems they are trying to solve. It's a lot of silly shit with few upsides.
>>
>>4138618
Akitoshi Kawazu who worked on both first FF nes games also did work on saga.

Who also resused some ideas from the gameboy games.

Romancing saga is the evolution of the nes games. He decided to put western based rpg elements in and the later removed random encounters.
>>
>>4138781
>Romancing Saga is an evolution
No it is a big step back. Everything is incredibly slow, especially battles. Removing random encounters means you now spend 10 minutes of constant uninterrupted battles on each dungeon floor that can all be defeated by using the attack option with all characters. It is not a good game.
>>
>>4138791
It's a great game, don't be mad at the world.
>>
>>4138791
it has a much better magic system, though. And better quests, better open world, well better everything.
>>
Objective rankings:
1. FFV
2. FFVI
3. FFVIII
4. FFX
5. FFIX
6. FFIV
7. FFII
8. FFXII
9. FFVIII
10. FFXV
11. FFI
12. FFXI
13. FFXIII
14. FFXIV
15. FFIII
>>
>>4138853
>1. FFV
Into the trash your post goes
>>
>>4138853
>1. FFV
you seem like a decent person
>>
>>4135173
Amen, OP. Playing it right now. It's a fucking masterpiece. Origins verison all the way.
>>
>>4135173
It's not as bad as it's made out to be, but it's definitely not top 4 status

Top 4:
XII
IX
V
III

Bottom 4:
XV
XIII
X
IV
>>
>>4138853
FFVIII was my first FF, RPG, and video game, but it's by no means top 3

Lower-middle at best
>>
>>4138853
>Hating on the game that fucking introduced the main feature to your favorite

I can never understand FF3 haters.
>>
>>4138853
>1. FFV
This, but my ranking is different.
My ranking is (discounting the post-IX games because not retro):
1. Final Fantasy V
2. Final Fantasy VI
3. Final Fantasy VII
4. Final Fantasy IX
5. Final Fantasy I
6. Final Fantasy IV
7. Final Fantasy VIII
8. Final Fantasy III
9. Final Fantasy II

But even II is still really great.
>>
File: dreadnaught-airship.jpg (33KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
dreadnaught-airship.jpg
33KB, 480x320px
>>4139881
The idiotic ranking you'd expect from a transexual tripfag.

FF5 has been widely known for years to have the worst, most nonsensical plot of the series. And only an idiot would play a jRPG for the gameplay.

One could argue whether 2 is superior or not to 5, but they definitely shouldn't be on opposite sides of the list, unless an ape's opinion is being considered.

Plot: FF2 >>>> FF5
Characters: FF2 >> FF5
Gameplay: FF5 > FF2
Visuals: FF2 > FF5
Music: FF2 > FF5

Daily reminder that the job system was designed in FF3 for idiots who couldn't handle the patrician Morrowind-style leveling system in FF2. It's the SAME thing that happened in FF12.

FF2: People can't specialize their characters so they grind for 90 hours to finish a 25 hours game. A class system is introuced in 3 to do it for them.
FF8: Again people can't deal with an open-ended battle system so FF9 introduces a class sy... NOT, they design classes, but they even forbid players from changing them to keep it simple and boring so even moms can play it. (Mine did.)
FF10: People can't specialize their characters and deal with the endgame successfully without grindind EVERY SPHERE SLOT, so FF10-2 brings back the class system for babbies.
FF12: People still can't specialize their characters, so the game has to do it for them in International and HD.
Morrowind: People play as jacks-of-all-trades, so Oblivion removes static difficulty, but it's not enough so Skyrim removes part of the leveling system itself. It still wasn't enough. Next TES will probably use a class system to force players to play a role.
>>
File: 1413145695921.jpg (28KB, 475x343px) Image search: [Google]
1413145695921.jpg
28KB, 475x343px
>>4139494
>IX
>Top 4
>>
>>4140437
>And only an idiot would play a jRPG for the gameplay.
Not that guy and I actually like 2, but you must be one miserable bastard if you keep playing games that have gameplay you hate
>>
File: where_do_you_think_we_are.png (936KB, 644x644px) Image search: [Google]
where_do_you_think_we_are.png
936KB, 644x644px
2 has atrocious dungeon design (I hate bringing youtubers to the table but... projared explained it perfectly) and the stat leveling system was badly implemented.

All in all those things make a game that's not fun to play and not worth it.
Just because you dealed with bad design doesn't mean you're pro, it just means you enjoy hurting yourself playing bad stuff.

Then again, I'm in 4chan, maybe I just took OP's bait too hard.
>>
>>4140484
>and the stat leveling system was badly implemented.
it's fine, people are just upset they can't turn all their characters into dual wielding, heavy armored red mages without getting punished
the only real oversight is letting the player hit himself to get more HP
>>
File: DN.png (681KB, 1050x2648px) Image search: [Google]
DN.png
681KB, 1050x2648px
>>4140484
>I hate bringing youtubers to the table
Did you even try playing the game? Or try enjoying it? Because regardless of what "projared" tells you the dungeon design in 2 was leagues superior to the enormous sprawling mazes of 1. The "empty rooms" people complain exist in 4 as well and are easy to prepare for.
Perhaps it escapes you that youtubers love beating on dead horses to seem competent. There are youtubers who specialize in doing that alone (like "unboxing" of cheap chinese gadgets screeching "Ooooh myyy wot ay mehss!" every 5 seconds)

Pic related: it's one random example of the best fucking dungeon design the entire fucking series got: FF2
>>
>>4139496
I fucked up, putting 8 twice. #3 was supposed to be 7.
>>
>>4140484
>I hate bringing youtubers to the table but
Kill yourself
>>
>>4140437
I play jrpgs because I like menus and I like job systems because they have cute outfits, my hot sister agrees
>>
>>4138610
>Love dynamic
>Bro character
Are you sure you're talking about Final Fantasy II?
>>
>>4140437

I play JRPGs for the gameplay, friend. The story stops being interesting when you graduate from middle school.

>organized religion is evil
>fantasy racism is bad
>band of rebels vs decadent empire
>magic crystal mcguffin
>existentialism for dummies
>gratuitous references to scripture and christian apocrypha

W O W
>>
>>4140616
Hey, Ashens is fine. Way better than ProJared.
At least Jared knows the Pro in ProJared is as true as the 2 in FF2 for SNES.
>>
>>4141575
But JRPG gameplay is literally the most boring thing you could be playing, vidya-wise.
>>
>>4141575
You must be real fun at parties.
>>
>>4141708

Some people enjoy it. I find it strikes a sweet spot between relaxing and fun.
>>
I love every Final Fantasy except XII. II is definitely my favorite of the first 3, and probably my second favorite of the first 6. I've never really understood any of the complaints about it. I guess it is possible to take advantage of a bug and completely break the game, but you could always just not do that.
>>
>>4141575
But organized religion is evil and racism is bad.
>>
Only weebcucks obsessed with haremshit think FFV is good. They love to self insert as Bartz, the generic personality-less brown haired male protagonist surrounded by a pink-haired anime princess, trap, and loli. It is an autistic /v/tard's fantasy and the worst in the series. These delusional contrarian autists think the job system is so complex even though the relic and esper system in FFVI is virtually the same. But underaged /a/spie /v/irgins associate FFVI with Let's Plays and "normies" so therefore it is shit.
>>
>>4143020
cringe
>>
File: carrot_time.png (109KB, 356x438px) Image search: [Google]
carrot_time.png
109KB, 356x438px
>>4135173
>Final Fantasy II is a pleb filter
You are right
>>
>>4140437
If you play JRPGS because you're genuinely engrossed by the childish stories in them you are you have no right to be smug about anything.
>>
>>4143474
You're posting on a chinese cartoon website's sub-board about old videogames designed for children, buddy. A jRPG is not more or less childish than your batman platformer, make-believe racing game or "edgy tactical espionage action" with sci-fi ninjas and giant robots.
>>
>>4140437
>People play as jacks-of-all-trades
Tfw I try to to a jack of all trade character everytime. At least I have my part of fun, though its for sure a master of none.
>>
>>4143002

Did you need a 90-hour JRPG to teach you that?
>>
File: 95193e287ae20dc0c342e5095924b323.jpg (101KB, 762x1046px) Image search: [Google]
95193e287ae20dc0c342e5095924b323.jpg
101KB, 762x1046px
>>4138853
>1. FFV
I don't have to read any further. Nothing else matters. This list is fine.
>>
I like FF3.
>>
>>4140616
>Dreadnought good dungeon
>Not a tedious borefest

Man FF2 fags are delusional.
>>
>>4144787

Yes
>>
>>4143650
Jokes on you fag I only play DARPA tactical simulations from the cold war to unwind from reading fine literature or watching arthouse film
>>
>>4139792
to start with, in 5 you can run fiestas, in 3 you can't. A huge difference in quality of game design
>>
Why FFII and III never got released here?
>>
>>4146273
Because they're shit
>>
>>4140616
>Perhaps it escapes you that youtubers love beating on dead horses to seem competent.
I'm not one to defend e-celebs but he lavishly praised the first game (while also acknowleding all its faults). I don't believe he hates things for the sake of it.
>>
>>4146273
The SNES was out soon in North America, and they didn't want to divert attention from it by porting NES games. On top of that 2 had a really poor reception in Japan and 3 would have been very expensive to translate due to its size (which is also the reason they never ported it to any other system until they remade it from the ground up on the DS and PSP).
>>
>>4138610
>Love dynamic
?

The game didn't have anything like this. The characters were never expounded upon to that degree. For all we know, the entire cast might be gay.

Maybe you're referring to the lamia scene. But that was just played for laughs.
>>
>>4146638
>but he lavishly praised the first game
you mean the one he played already as a kid?
shocking
>>
>>4146649
So do you just think that anyone who doesn't like FF2 is biased and predisposed to dislike it?
>>
>>4138791
>it is a big step back

I have to agree. I enjoyed some of the SaGa games, but the battle mechanics are overly contrived at times. Battles end up taking way longer than they should because the whole experience isn't nearly as streamlined as with FF2.

And although you can try to avoid running into enemies on the map, they run into you and path-find with almost superhuman accuracy. So really, what was the point of phasing out random battles in favor of this? With SaGa, stepping into a new area often prompts a battle marathon that lasts 20 or 30 minutes, because dozens of enemies are placed so close by that they just converge on you one right after the other.
>>
>>4146650
a significant portion of the people who claim to dislike it are, yes
>>
I think many people who complain about FF2 just didn't understand the game's mechanics that well. And that might be a responsible response since there are a lot of things that would need to be spelled out in the manual, but probably aren't as far as the game's various English localizations are concerned.

Some particular points of interest:

>Why are there so many trap rooms in dungeons?
Think for a moment about the various spells available to you. There are some that have functions outside of battle, like Teleport or Warp. Warp sends you back one floor for every level of Warp you've mastered. So if anyone in the party has a level-1 Warp spell, you can backtrack out of those trap rooms at the cost of a mere 1 MP.

>Why am I punished for equipping certain items?
It's entirely logical. How are you going to run away from battles decked out in heavy suits of armor? Take some time to raise your agility, then you can safely equip heavy armor; or you can just accept that the price of turning a character into a tank is that said character can't flee to save their own life.

Also, note that there are three distinct types of armor: clothing, plate and mail. What's the difference between a gold plate and gold mail? The gold plate is a lighter, easier-fitting breastplate, whereas the gold mail is a full suit of armor. This means opting for the gold plate over the gold mail isn't necessarily going to hinder your character like the mail would. Of course, if you played later FF games first, you might not notice such a distinction right off the bat. Few other games in this series have any such variations in armor design.

>Why can't I run?
Fleeing is based on your evasion, not your agility. Heavy armor kills your evasion. You can offset this by equipping shields and / or clothing or PLATE armor. Avoid mail armor if it deducts too much evasion from a character. Yes, you absolutely CAN flee from battles. Increase your evasion and see for yourself.
>>
>>4146685
(continued)

>Why does offensive magic deal so little damage?
Note that the MP cost of any spell is directly proportionate to its level. This means level 16 Flare costs a mere 16 MP to cast. Why would a 16-MP spell deal damage in the higher thousands? Yes, offensive magic is outclassed by weapons, but magic is still very functional. Only magic can target enemies from any row or rank. The usefulness of this seems arguable, but remember that enemy attacks are also restricted by row and rank. So you can abuse magic to snipe off back-row enemies before they can earn the privilege of ever being able to attack you.

Also note that spells gain new features as they level up. Your Esuna spell will eventually be able to cure every status, and even bring dead characters back to life. Most people don't seem to notice these benefits, maybe because the game makes no effort to announce them.
>>
>>4146693
I think most people notice the utterly absurd number of casts of Esuna you'll have to do before it's finally useful to cure things you need cured
>>
>>4146685
Even if it occurred to someone to use Warp to jump back three feet, it's still boring to have a million "time to cast warp" rooms
>>
I never liked IX as much as some people.
>>
>>4135173
Projared hates it, so I'll probably love it because he's a fuccboi.
>>
>>4146940
>to have a million "time to cast warp" rooms

There's like a dozen in the entire game.
>>
>>4145057
I take it back.

I dislike replacing my favorite jobs with endgame ones. Or having to grind for Onion Knight.
>>
File: 1501097960996.gif (1MB, 498x278px) Image search: [Google]
1501097960996.gif
1MB, 498x278px
>>4145014
>Berserk makes you lose control of the character
>tfw you will never fuck a sex-crazed Berserker Faris
>>
File: WhatAStory.jpg (302KB, 1276x713px) Image search: [Google]
WhatAStory.jpg
302KB, 1276x713px
>>4135173

Yeah! Is so great and well designed need hit your team mates for level up life and def!
>>
>>4150562
>There's like a dozen in the entire game.
There is a dozen on every single dungeon floor. This is merely a mild exaggeration. Your statement was a flat out lie. Seriously m8, why are you lying?
>>
>>4152050
>dozen
>12
>every single dungeon floor.

now who's lying
>>
at least the battle music is lit
>>
>>4152064
>This is merely a mild exaggeration.
Do you even read the posts you reply to?
That exaggeration is far closer to the truth than 'only a dozen in the game'.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.